Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Indie Game Websites top 100 indies of all time

Repressed Homosexual
77. Your Royal Gayness
This first title from Finnish game developers Lizard Hazard Games shows a lot of potential for this small company. Your Royal Gayness, is a kingdom management simulator meets visual novel, following the story of Prince Amir. Amir is put in charge of his kingdom for sixty days whilst his parents are away. During this time, not only does he now have the chance to introduce new laws and improve the lives of his people, but maintain his kingdoms army, treasury and loyalty.

Alongside this, Amir must hide his sexuality from prejudiced citizens and can pursue relationships with neighbouring princes.

19. Gone Home
There’s an achievement in Gone Home for completing the game in under a minute. That might net you some points, but you’ll skip over a rare example of a well-told queer gaming narrative. The game had you investigating the family home for clues on their disappearance through notes and diary entries left behind. In the process, you discovered the youngest daughter ran away with her lesbian lover.

14. Night in the Woods
For a queer millennial in a committed relationship living in a poor, small town, Night in the Woods got me. It explored themes games rarely explore, like millennial disillusionment and the working class, and portrayed characters never seen in games, like a queer couple in a committed relationship

Disgusting!!!!

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
Commercial, lifeless remake picked over freeware awesomeness? Check. (Spelunky, probably a few others.)

What do you mean by this? Isn't it the same game, aside from the art?

That's the weird bit: Except for the new content contained in the commercial release (the Hell levels, upgraded graphics and probably more) it is essentially the same game... and yet the commercial release feels off somehow. The graphics are more detailed, yet somehow feel flat and lacking in charm. The sound department is suffering from something similar as well. But the biggest thing is what appears to be a frame limit thing - the game just doesn't flow as smoothly as the original does.

I blame the consoles.

Because of this I just can't stand playing the commercial version, even though it's still Spelunky and still highly enjoyable.

My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Stardew Valley: Chill game, but surprisingly tightly designed. Takes Harvest Moon and does it better.
I agree with most of your post but this is wrong. All they did was lift mechanics from Rune Factory, and do it slightly worse.

Hmm I never played Rune Factory. Maybe I should go check those out then, might change my opinion on SV.

pOcHa

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
... I'm not a huge fan of Amnesia, but #63 is ridiculously low - they might even have gone ahead and included the original White Day, which pioneered a lot of the game mechanics popularised by Amnesia. But alas, White Day is too obscure - it is simply too indie to be included in a list about the top 100 indie games...

never heard of White Day, thanks - but Amnesia guys actually were the pioneers of that genre, just check their Penumbra trilogy, which is even arguably better (just don't play A Machine for Pigs, it's not done by them)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom