Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Indie Game Websites top 100 indies of all time

v1rus

Arcane
https://www.indiegamewebsite.com/2018/05/11/the-100-best-indie-games-of-all-time/

So, which games are too high or low, which are total trash, which are missing, and all other usual codex fun.

I played good bit of those, and I like most of em a lot, but i certainly wouldnt agree on their ranking, while most of other shit has been on my 2play list for a long long while.

Mustawd

OVERRATED:

-Nidhogg. It’s a fun game but only for a short period of time. The novelty quickly wears off and after a day or so in MP it has zero replay value. Should be in the 90s.

-To the Moon. It’s a walking simulator disguised as a JRPG. Trash. Doesn’t belong on this list at all.

-Binding of Isaac. It’s fun. Good but not great. Probably belongs in the 40s or 50s IMO.

-Gone Home. This meme will never die. Walkin Sim. Not a game.

-Papers Please. Gameplay is fun. Concept is cool. Art and music is appropriate. Belongs somewhere in the high 30s.

UNDERRATED:

-Path of Exile. It’s a F2P game that has great D2-like combat and does F2P model right. It belongs higher on that list in IMO.

-Bastion. Beautiful art. Great VA. Very fun arpg gameplay. Deserves to be a bit higher.

FEELS ABOUT RIGHT:

-FTL. Nice artstyle. Cool game concept. Tight RL with challenging moment to moment strategic gameplay. Good fun.

-Hotline Miami is a bit high, but I had a ton of fun with it. I’d say somewhere between 10 and 15. Still, I dont blame ppl rating it in top 10.

Last edited by a moderator:

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
Haven't looked at the list yet, but I get the strong feeling this will be a "Top 100 Games Made By My Friends and Fuckbuddies in the Industry"-kind of list.

Let's see if I'm right.

EDIT: Ugh. It's worse than I thought.

No-name developers namedropped? Check. (
owl.png
TF is Christine Love and why should I care?)
Big-name developer's entire catalogue included because 'Muh Indie Games'? Check. (Jonathan Blow, probably others.)
Games released within the past 12 months and therefore haven't had time to be evaluated properly? Check. (Too many to mention.)
Walking simulators counted as games? Check. (Too many to mention, including the #1 game.)
Definition of 'Indie Game' changed to suit author's agenda? Check. (Stronghold (1999) is on the list, so is No Man's Sky.)
Early Access titles present? Check. (Dead Cells.)
Celerity trigger warning content? Check. ( :) )
Commercial, lifeless remake picked over freeware awesomeness? Check. (Spelunky, probably a few others.)
Author having no fucking clue what he's talking about when describing games? Check. (Spelunky again.)

I wouldn't read this as a "Top X"-list, but more as a haphazard list of successful, and therefore, recommended Indie games. It somewhat works in that regard.

Last edited:

Baron Dupek

Arcane
How is NoMaSky an indie game? I don't follow that crap but from what I know - Sony is (was?) involved.

Stronghold? Maybe that's me but I have hard time calling old games "indie" (except Spiderweb stuff). For me they're all in between - funded by not-greed publishers and released.

As mentioned before - Path of Exile is way too low, this is a real F2P without pathology. Unless your PC suck balls and all these paid cosmetics starts torturing your computer (it happens to me, doesn't help that you can't spawn in your hideout after log-in).

Nobody was bothered by cutting the page into slides for sweet clicks and views?

Last edited:

v1rus

Arcane
I also dislike the shiton of questionably indie titles.

Then again, I'd def categorize Witness as indie - probably because my whole perception of Blow and his work is built on foundation of Braid.

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
Transistor at 91? Dwarf Fortress at 90?

Top 10 is weak as well. You can't really deny Minecraft as a phenomena, though.

Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I helped put crap in Monomyth
No Darkwood. No Detention. No One Finger Death Punch. No SOMA. No Broforce. No Luftrausers (it may have been developed by the insufferable Rami Ismail, but unlike a lot of the shit on this list it was actually a fun game). I'm not a huge fan of Amnesia, but #63 is ridiculously low - they might even have gone ahead and included the original White Day, which pioneered a lot of the game mechanics popularised by Amnesia. But alas, White Day is too obscure - it is simply too indie to be included in a list about the top 100 indie games.

Dear Esther in the top 10 is preposterous, as is Oxenfree at #15. Hotline Miami at #3 is an ok pick, whereas Hotline Miami 2 (aka We were absolutely clueless about what made the original game fun) shouldn't even be on the list. The top spot goes to the tiresome "Look, ma! I'm clever"-endeavor that is The Stanley Parable.

Even by the piss-poor standards of clickbait top 100 of whatever-articles this list is absolute fucking dogshit.

v1rus

Arcane
Its been a couple years, but I tremendously enjoyed Stanley Parable.

Not saying its #1 indie ever made, but its certainly an interesting and more than a worthwile game.

Then again, I'd say Super Meat Boy is nr #1 indie, or something along the lines. Its not THAT great a game, but it somehow embodies everything an indie game should be in my eyes.

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
Pretty inoffensive list. The expected pseudointellectual journobait games are listed at the top, of course. It's less a list of "the best" and more a list of "The few indie games that actually made money and weren't forgotten by people within 2 months".

Agame

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here
The expected pseudointellectual journobait games are listed at the top, of course.

This is the single worst thing about the indie game scene, seeing pretentious walking simulators being idolized as "art". The closest thing to a game that is art is Dwarf Fortress*, and these blithering morons put it at no. 90.

Instead 'Dear Esther' gets in the top ten, cos its so deep and meaningful...

Which is why I think art and games should be separated, just dont do it. Make a really good fun game instead. If you set out with the goal of making an "art game" you will create a shitty walking simulator that idiots will bow down and idolize because they dont know any better. But it will not actually be a good game.

*Yes it really is considered to be art: MOMA

My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Eh, by garbage clickbait listcle standards, this list not the worst. It's not good. It's filled with stuff that's not really indie and some real garbage, but I feel like I could scrape together a decent top 10 from stuff throughout the list. Let's see, in no particular order:

Cave Story: one of the earlier indie metroidvania games and still one of the best. They fail to recognize that this game made a whole hell of lot of the list possible
Dwarf Fortress: one of the greatest achievements in gaming. Many poor imitators, few have the tenacity to create something so wonderful.
Mount and Blade: helluva a great sandbox game, the write up on this in the article is retarded though.
Path of Exile: The actual successor to Diablo II. The pinacle of the ARPG genre.
Faster than Light: This is probably the best sci-fi rougelike I've played.
Undertale: Yeah, it's weeb trash, but it's goddamn fantastic weeb trash.
Stardew Valley: Chill game, but surprisingly tightly designed. Takes Harvest Moon and does it better.
Papers Please: Despite the boring sounding concept it's surprisingly fun. Nice consistant style, but I don't see it having the same influence as so many other games ranked lower on the list.
Minecraft: You can't deny the monsterous influence and success of Minecraft, and you know, it deserves the praise. It's many crappy imitators have brought it's rep down, but the game was refreshing and frankly pretty damn cool when it came out.
Hotline Miami: Over ranked on this list I think, but it's a solid two stick style shooter. Hectic and fun, with a dash of style.

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Stardew Valley: Chill game, but surprisingly tightly designed. Takes Harvest Moon and does it better.
I agree with most of your post but this is wrong. All they did was lift mechanics from Rune Factory, and do it slightly worse.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom