Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Indie Friendly Development Tools

Wysardry

Augur
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
At the price it is now, if you found you didn't like it, you could still use it for prototyping and/or testing out ideas. AppGameKIt, GameGuru, Coppercube, Grand Designer, Leadwerks and quite a few other tools are also reduced at the mo'.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Dunno how capable this is but anyway it's now free: https://www.sceelix.com

Sceelix is now free!

We would like to start this new year by announcing that we won't be selling Sceelix anymore...and that's because we're giving it away for FREE!

When we first started this business, our intent was to grow organically with our user community. By selling an Early Access version for a lower price, we hoped to gather support and feedback from the users, keeping development in the right path and focusing on what the community really wanted. Despite having learned much in this process, our sales haven’t allowed us to achieve the necessary financial sustainability to keep it going as it was.

What will happen now? Will development be abandoned?

Definitely not! Although the business itself has changed, the project will go on, as we believe in our product as much as you do! We will continue to work on Sceelix, while being available for hire for development, support and consultancy services. E-mail us at hello@sceelix.com if you are interested!

If you had previously backed this project by purchasing a license, your name will be added to our site (let us know if you would prefer not to) and you will have first-hand access to some future offers.

A New Version

In light of this change, we've also launched a new update, version 0.8.7.0, which is available in the usual downloads page.

11ccf28fe10b69436f6df5de79d90b80948beb8d.jpg

This new version removed the need for licenses and development keys. All you need is to perform a quick and free registration when you are running Sceelix for the first time, if you hadn't done so in the past.

In addition to changing the licensing system, we've introduced some features, including a new expression editor, some great 3D rendering filters, a few Unity plugin additions and a couple more generation algorithms. There were several other minor additions, changes and bug fixes, so don’t forget to check them out!

hilfazer

Scholar
Godot 3.0 is out!

It brings tons of additions and improvements. 3D support is serious now and rivals that of U3D and UE.
3D and other new stuff.
For a list of features, not just new stuff, go there: https://godotengine.org/features
Recommended language is GDscript (Python inspired) but you can also use C++, C# or VisualScript (think UE's Blueprints). It's possible to add bindings for other languages and community is already working on Python and D among others. VisualScript and C# support is a new addition so they might be lacking.
It's totally free and open source.
It's multi-platform and version control friendly.

I have very little experience with game engines besides Godot so i can't really compare it to anything but i have to say i really like it! I dig its Nodes/Scenes approach. I'm using GDscript, it's pretty easy to learn. Dynamic typing troubles me but devs plan to add optional typing (what Cython does to Python) in 3.1.
GDscript editor is kinda... there. Sure, it has code completion, which is important when dealing with new language, but i'm missing some funcionality like 'search in project' or 'rename variable/function'.
Debugger is quite decent but i don't see an option to deactivate breakpoints or run game via Godot without debugging. Devs plan to improve debugger for version 3.1.

Looks like i found my vapourware creation tool.

TBeholder

Novice
Tilemancer is a quick procedural tile creator designed for pixel-art games. Perfect for game jams, prototypes, texture mods, and more.

You can design tiles using a node-based approach in which a heightmap is created and later shaded by the program.

The program features a collection of noise generators, filters and presets, giving you freedom and speed when creating your own tiles.

All nodes and presets are programmed in Lua, letting you create and modify effects.

https://led.itch.io/tilemancer
The same ops are available in Werkkzeug
Or numerous GIMP plugins and filters. There are both tile-fiers and map generators - not integrated with each other, but this can be done in another simple script.
Presets look good, however.

Self-Ejected

Davaris

Self-Ejected
Developer
Godot 3.0 is out!

It brings tons of additions and improvements. 3D support is serious now and rivals that of U3D and UE.
3D and other new stuff.
For a list of features, not just new stuff, go there: https://godotengine.org/features
Recommended language is GDscript (Python inspired) but you can also use C++, C# or VisualScript (think UE's Blueprints). It's possible to add bindings for other languages and community is already working on Python and D among others. VisualScript and C# support is a new addition so they might be lacking.
It's totally free and open source.
It's multi-platform and version control friendly.

I have very little experience with game engines besides Godot so i can't really compare it to anything but i have to say i really like it! I dig its Nodes/Scenes approach. I'm using GDscript, it's pretty easy to learn. Dynamic typing troubles me but devs plan to add optional typing (what Cython does to Python) in 3.1.
GDscript editor is kinda... there. Sure, it has code completion, which is important when dealing with new language, but i'm missing some funcionality like 'search in project' or 'rename variable/function'.
Debugger is quite decent but i don't see an option to deactivate breakpoints or run game via Godot without debugging. Devs plan to improve debugger for version 3.1.

Looks like i found my vapourware creation tool.

Glad they made it. They were hoping 3.0 would be finished early last year. Their main programmer couldn't get more funding, so he had to continue on without it.

Godot is more modern than some of the major engines in some ways. When I was still with them they said 3.0 uses a new 3D technology other engines aren't yet using. I can't remember what it is called because I am not interested in 3D. If I remember rightly they said they are using the latest research in shaders.

Last edited:

Alchemist

Arcane
Godot is more modern than some of the major engines in some ways. When I was still with them they said 3.0 uses a new 3D technology other engines aren't yet using. I can't remember what it is called because I am not interested in 3D. If I remember rightly they said they are using the latest research in shaders.

This article has the low-down on that, I believe: https://godotengine.org/article/godot-3-renderer-design-explained

Glad to see 3.0 is out. I tinkered around with the beta recently and enjoyed working with it. Finding very little time to work on stuff lately but definitely going to be using Godot for any game dev projects I do.

barker_s

Cipher
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
Shit, and I bought it a few months back. It's a great tool nonetheless, gotta start using it eventually.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Modlab, a free normal map generator:

2A.png

Modlab is not an image editor. ModLab is a free tool that can generate normal maps in a realtime deferred rendering environment. It was initially created as an asset previewing and mastering tool for the game Wayward Terran Frontier which means it stands out among other content creation utility programs by featuring a full hardware rendering pipeline for previewing results in realtime.

Modlab can generate high quality normal maps without 3d geometry.

ModLab is completely free but you can support development at https://www.patreon.com/user?u=7785848.

3A.png

The Modlab project has 3 core goals.
  • To provide entry level graphic designers an alternative way to create difficult assets such as normal maps and specular/roughness maps.
  • To provide professional graphic designers an ideal environment for fine tuning their art and exporting ready-to-ship assets.
  • To serve as a test bed for new experimental content generation techniques and algorithms. i.e. cool stuff we want to play around with.

1A.png

Depending on reception and feedback Modlab may grow to become much much more. We would like to continue developing Modlab in coordination with the community. Our goal is to have the product remain free and supported by donations, and we will be hosting community polls to decide the direction of future development. Features such as procedural backdrop generation, support for other rendering and post-processing pipes such as Unity or Unreal, and 3d model previews of assets are all on the table.

Key features:
  • Generate a normal map from a diffuse map using advanced image processing and analytic techniques
  • Generate detailed normal maps from height maps
  • Combine normal maps with custom blending parameters
  • Create a horizontal profile for a normal map using the curve editor
  • Clean up and sharpen existing normal maps with Bilateral filtering
  • Generate roughness/specularity maps
  • Fine tune the intensity of emission maps
  • Realtime preview with settings for dominant, ambient, and point light sources

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
GoNorth, "a story and content planning tool for RPGs and other open world games": https://github.com/steffendx/GoNorth

GoNorth
GoNorth is a web application used for planning the story and world of RPGs or other open world games. GoNorth is cross-plattform ready, provides multilanguage support and is designed as a responsive layout.

It offers modules for:
  • Timeline view to provide a quick overview of changes
  • Planning Chapters as a Node System of Quests
  • Planning Quests as a Node System of Tasks
  • Planning Npcs and their different values
  • Planning dialogs of Npcs as Node System of dialog branches
  • Planning Items and their different values
  • Wiki component with tight integration into the other modules
  • Map component to position Quest marker, Npcs, Items, Wiki pages and map changes
  • Tracking your implementation status and showing changed values after change to already implemented object
  • Simple Task Tracker
Deployment
Please refer to the wiki for deployment details and the official documentation on how to host and deploy an ASP.NET Core application.

Brief Overview
Chapter and Quest Planning (Aika)
GoNorth provides a module for planning the different chapters of your game and the branching story. For this it provides a node system which allows you to connect the different quests and their possible outcomes together:

Aika.PNG

A similiar node system can be created for the different quests.
Each quest will show the connections to Maps, Wiki pages and other objects to provide a view on the big picture while planning the quest.
More details can be found in the wiki.

Npc and Item Planning (Kortisto and Styr)
The web application provides functionality for planning Npcs and Items with flexible values. You can create templates and then create new Npcs or Items based on these templates:

Kortisto.PNG

Each object will display the different maps in which the Npc or Item is marked, the Wiki Pages in which its mentioned and all other connections. This way the user has a good overview what he or she has to consider when building the character or item.
More details can be found in the wiki for npcs and items.

Dialog Planning (Tale)
Using the dialog planning module a user can create the branching dialogs for the different game characters as a node system:

Tale.PNG

GoNorth provides different dialog nodes for player or npc lines, player choices, conditions or actions.
It is planned to implement a script export for these node systems.

Wiki Component (Kirja)
Kirja is the wiki component of GoNorth. Apart from allowing the user to write wiki pages it also features a tight integration into the other systems:

Kirja.PNG

Kirja also allows the users to attach additional planning files.

Map Planning (Karta)
A user can upload a high resolution map image to GoNorth which will then be transformed into an interactive map similiar to Google Maps. On this map a user can mark the position of Quest Markers, Npcs, Items, Wiki Pages and Map Changes:

Karta.PNG

Each marker provides brief informations about the different objects and allow the users to jump of the detail page.

Implementation Status Tracking
GoNorth allows you to mark objects as implemented once they are integrated into your game. If a user changes relevant values of theses objects afterwards GoNorth will reset the implemented flag and show you which values where changed:

ImplementationStatus.PNG

This way its much easier to keep track of the integration progress and not forget changes.

Task Management
A simple Kanban Board is integrated into GoNorth:

Task.PNG

pakoito

Arcane
Patron
I've been dipping my toe in Rust again. It's not ready for gamedev, but there's some stuff coming up little by little: http://arewegameyet.com/

I wholeheartedly recommed using the Rust plugin for IntelliJ, it's years ahead of the other implementations and properly supported by JetBrains.

DavidBVal

4 Dimension Games
Patron
Developer
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Pathfinder: Wrath
GoNorth, "a story and content planning tool for RPGs and other open world games"

Looks fishy...like a tool to steal game ideas.

Zep--

A bit far fetched, digging into the data for a good idea would prove harder than having a good idea yourself. However, building the data model for your quests, npcs, events etc is one of the most fun (and important) parts of development. Why would you use an external tool for that? You might as well go full RPGmaker.

Zep Zepo

Titties and Beer
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual
Some people can't think of a good idea on their own. They have to jump on the backs of others and then take the credit. Take Warren Spector, for a good example.

Zep--

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Epic releases Paragon assets for free: https://www.unrealengine.com/en-US/...s-12-million-worth-of-paragon-assets-for-free

Direct link: https://www.unrealengine.com/marketplace/assets?lang=&q=Paragon

Of course you must use them only in Unreal Engine 4 based products.

Epic Games Releases $12 Million Worth of Paragon Assets for Free

Epic Games today announced that Unreal Engine 4 developers now have access to a full array of assets from Paragon, the company’s high-end multiplayer online battle arena game. The assets, built at a cost of over $12 million, include 20 AAA-quality characters, with their respective skins, animations, VFX and dialogue, along with over 1,500 environment components from Paragon. This content is now available free of charge in the Unreal Engine Marketplace, where developers may download Paragon packs to use in their own UE4 projects.

For those interested in importing Paragon characters into their projects, Epic recommends starting with Shinbi, who comes with an animation Blueprint. This can be used as a framework for animating the other characters in the Paragon packs. Epic is also shipping a sample map that is handy for testing and can be used as a baseline for creating more customized environments.

Available Paragon assets include:
  • Characters: 20 Paragon Hero characters will be initially available including all skins for distinct character variants. The release also includes base meshes, thousands of textures, VFX and animation cycles, and dialogue with hundreds of sound cues. The character Shinbi comes with an animation Blueprint which can be tailored to specific needs. Epic sends special thanks to OTOY and 3D Scan Store for granting permission to keep intact the high-quality character materials using their facial and body scanning technologies as part of this release.
  • Environments: The Paragon release includes over 1,500 environment assets created for the Agora and Monolith maps, including a sample map for developers to use and customize as desired.
  • More to Come: Epic will release millions of dollars worth of additional Paragon asset packs beyond the initial $12 million offering through spring and summer 2018.
For more information and to register for updates, visit unrealengine.com/paragon.

Visit the Paragon Asset Release forum thread for additional technical guidance on how to get started using the Paragon assets in Unreal Engine 4.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
So I tried Amazon's Lumberyard, and while setting it up is a little contrived (there is no actual installer, you can't put it in a location with spaces in its path, it requires a lot of shit to get started, etc), it's not bad at all. It goes into 5fps on my laptop when rendering the water, but there are some pretty feature complete tools, and it's well documented.
Have you been using it since? How have the documentation and features evolved?

Heapcleaner

Novice
Have anyone mentioned Twine? it's a great tools for either creating text-based RPG/Adventure game or to prototype game narrative/flow.

http://twinery.org/

This is especially useful for churning out narrative ideas for our game

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom