Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Indie Friendly Development Tools

Alchemist

Arcane
GameMaker: Studio Pro is available for $6 in the Humble Weekly Bundle.
Was just about to post here about that - it's a pretty great deal. Also of note is the Android export module (normally $299) if you get the higher tier.

pakoito

Arcane
Patron
Just FYI it takes 2 weeks to get a steam key after you enter your HB one into your yoyogames account, and the site has been down for hours.

And GM code is still ugly af.

28.8bps Modem

Prophet
I've never bought a humble bundle before, but this one interests me. I'd really like to see how awful the vlambeer source code is :D

(Edit: Heh, oops. Just glitched the fuck out of YoYo Game's key redemption system and got two keys for the price of one...)

Last edited:

DavidBVal

4 Dimension Games
Patron
Developer
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Pathfinder: Wrath
But I thought RoboVM old versions were already free, that's what I mean. In any case, very good news to have it covered under a license.

Viata

Arcane
Dear friends, I want to make a first person dungeon crawler. It's doesn't matter if I go with 2d or 3d art, but what engine/programming language is a good one for it?

pakoito

Arcane
Patron
Dear friends, I want to make a first person dungeon crawler. It's doesn't matter if I go with 2d or 3d art, but what engine/programming language is a good one for it?
Literally whichever you're comfortable with, CPUs are past the curve where language/engine choice mattered.

J1M

Arcane
Literally whichever you're comfortable with, CPUs are past the curve where language/engine choice mattered.
Why do you think his question was about performance? Seems pretty clear he wants to know which engine is suited for this task.

Last edited:

pakoito

Arcane
Patron
Why do you think his question was about performance? Seem pretty clear he wants to know which engine is suited for this task.
There's no silver bullet, the best engine is the one you're comfortable with. No engine is best suited for making dungeon crawlers than others. There are bad choices, but he'd have to go and find them and that's about it.

He's comfortable with building from the ground up? SDL2. Start from the top with something prebuilt, buy code, and drag and drop? Unity3D. Fan of Java? LibGDX. Something in the middle? pick one. Build it atop another game as a mod? now there you do need a choice, and it's probably Grimrock.

J1M

Arcane
Can you understand why that generic advice would not be particularly helpful?

pakoito

Arcane
Patron
USE UNITY3D! BUY ALL THE CODE! DEMOCRATIZATION OF DEVELOPMENT FOR INDIES! UNITY IS WHAT INEXILE USES SO IT'S THE BEST ENGINE FOR DUNGEON CRAWLERS.*

There.

* I don't think so, but apparently there should be only one best choice to fit all.

Viata

Arcane
He's comfortable with building from the ground up? SDL2. Start from the top with something prebuilt, buy code, and drag and drop? Unity3D. Fan of Java? LibGDX. Something in the middle? pick one. Build it atop another game as a mod? now there you do need a choice, and it's probably Grimrock.
Will try with SDL2, thanks. As for Grimrock, nah, shit game. I don't want to touch it even if to mod it.

pakoito

Arcane
Patron
Will try with SDL2, thanks. As for Grimrock, nah, shit game. I don't want to touch it even if to mod it.
SDL2 is very low level, you'll have to build your engine yourself: inputs, frame rendering, time steps...You won't be touching gameplay for a while. Most engines in the middle are built on top of it to abstract those needs.

If you understand that and feel okay with it, then why not :D And for the sake of completion, the alternative is SFML.

If you're to develop professionally, for money, and completion, yes your choices matter.

If you're doing a hobbyist project you're doing it to learn or to pass the time, so you choose what you want to achieve: being understanding how a game is created, or tinkering with game mechanics.

Viata

Arcane
SDL2 is very low level, you'll have to build your engine yourself: inputs, frame rendering, time steps...You won't be touching gameplay for a while. Most engines in the middle are built on top of it to abstract those needs.

If you understand that and feel okay with it, then why not :D
See, that seems better. I think I'll learn more(both programming and developing my own game) with SDL2 than Unity3D/Mod.

If you're doing a hobbyist project you're doing it to learn or to pass the time, so you choose what you want to achieve: being understanding how a game is created, or tinkering with game mechanics.
Exactly what I want.

pakoito

Arcane
Patron

If you understand that and feel okay with it, then why not :D
See, that seems better. I think I'll learn more(both programming and developing my own game) with SDL2 than Unity3D/Mod.

Exactly what I want.
Here's what's been the most known SDL tutorial for years: http://lazyfoo.net/tutorials/SDL/

Dim

Not sure if advertising plant?
There's no silver bullet, the best engine is the one you're comfortable with. No engine is best suited for making dungeon crawlers than others. There are bad choices, but he'd have to go and find them and that's about it.
GM:S for platformers, rpgmaker for turn based tactics and Unreal Engine 4 for FPS. Some engines definitely have a genera focus.

Last edited:

DavidBVal

4 Dimension Games
Patron
Developer
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Pathfinder: Wrath
For an experienced developer that can write Java, Libgdx is a very good possibility

pakoito

Arcane
Patron
GM:S for platformers, rpgmaker for turn based tactics and Unreal Engine 4 for FPS. Some engines definitely have a genera focus.
There are GM:S strategy, puzzle, rpg, and SmashTV games, rpgmaker is a one trick pony and I have to agree, and UE4 has been used for racing, platforming, rpg, hack&slash, and strategy games. It all boils down to scope and comfort with your tool.

My favorite example of this is the WC3 modding scene, where even kart games were created.

Dim

Not sure if advertising plant?
The only GM:S games I could find on steam were 2d platformers +action/stealth. The only huge fan project is the same MKF.

pakoito

Arcane
Patron
The only GM:S games I could find on steam were 2d platformers +action/stealth. The only huge fan projects are the same. (MKF and DT3)
Wanderlust, Nuclear Throne, Siralim, Hotline Miami, Hyper Light Drifter, just top off my mind.

pakoito

Arcane
Patron
Platformers and topdown shooters. Now Siralim, that looks like a real C++ roguelike.
There are also some spaceship shoot'm'ups in the showcase page. And I'm trying to find that tactics game I bought a while ago, but can't remember the name.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom