Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Indie First-Person Shooters

fastpunk

Arbiter
Some codexers play some pretty obscure games. So, tell about some interesting (and obscure) indie FPS games. Post impressions, links etc.

Phelot

Arcane
Hmmm... I suppose it's kind of hard to find indie FPS games. I can tell when an RPG is indie, but for some reason find FPS games to be a bit muddled...

Anyways, here's a few

ZPC
51CF1M8GVCL._SS500_.jpg

799042.jpg

It had a weird comic book art direction. You play as some strange hippy guy that attacks the evil government entity that rules the world... or something. Don't believe the developers ever made anything else. Published by GTInteractive so maybe it's not so indie :oops:

Damage Incorporated
http://www.paranoidproductions.com/damage/screenshots.html
screen1.jpg

screen3.jpg

It was actually a squad based FPS. IT uses the same engine as ZPC which uses the Marathon engine. Pretty fun game.

What's cool about these games (and marathon) is that they use realistic clips for weapons, that is you pickup clips not "53 bullets" and in order to reload you have to expend all ammunition in the clip. That means no more taking a few shots, reloading, repeat.

fastpunk

Arbiter

starfish

Novice
phelot said:
ZPC

What's cool about these games (and marathon) is that they use realistic clips for weapons, that is you pickup clips not "53 bullets" and in order to reload you have to expend all ammunition in the clip. That means no more taking a few shots, reloading, repeat.

I only tried ZPC because the guy who did the art also did the art for all of KMFDM's albums (Aidan Hughes). It also got some positive feedback regarding C&C (some blurb about pushing people into a meat-processing machine comes to mind)

Wanted to like it, but just couldn't get into it. The game looked and played like a hallucinogenic nightmare.

Might try one of those other ones though.

KazikluBey

Cipher
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
There's .kkrieger, a 96 kB FPS. It's not very long IIRC, just a demo/beta but there were at least some five levels. It should come as no surprise that these guys are active in the demo scene.

full5.jpg

Phelot

Arcane
This is a long shot...

I got a shareware compilation cd during the 90s that had this really weird FPS. It was actually a working demo for some 3D engine that some company was trying to sell. You played as a robot I believe that had a tread like a tank so instead of footsteps when you move you'd hear what sounds like a treadmill or something.

I remember that it took place on a spaceship? But had stained glass windows. I can't even remember what you fight.

Anyone at all recall this? It's driving me nuts

Melcar

Arcane
Fuck Nexuiz. AT sold out and are now going full consoletard on us. A few of the community devs. already forked the project. Xonotic (retarded name I know) will be the new shit. But yeah, Nexuiz is a rad game.
If you're looking into indie competitive FPS games, Alien Arena is another good one. Most maps are rather small and feel really claustrophobic, but gameplay is fun nonetheless.

Cassidy

Arcane
Strife and Redneck Rampage. Not sure if they qualify as "indies" though.

Other than them, all I know are quake clones.

madbringer

Arcane
phelot said:
This is a long shot...

I got a shareware compilation cd during the 90s that had this really weird FPS. It was actually a working demo for some 3D engine that some company was trying to sell. You played as a robot I believe that had a tread like a tank so instead of footsteps when you move you'd hear what sounds like a treadmill or something.

I remember that it took place on a spaceship? But had stained glass windows. I can't even remember what you fight.

http://www.mobygames.com/game/windows/hover

;)

On second thought, it's probably this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VvvHrq8RyG0
35d2qef.png

Phelot

Arcane
madbringer said:
phelot said:
This is a long shot...

;)

35d2qef.png

Holy fuck! Thanks dude, that's it! Gotta try and find it since I can't remember if it's actually good or not.

madbringer

Arcane
Hah, there's an understatement if i ever read one. :P Just idling in the pickup channel on IRC makes me want to wear a bow tie.

phelot said:
madbringer said:
phelot said:
This is a long shot...

;)

35d2qef.png

Holy fuck! Thanks dude, that's it! Gotta try and find it since I can't remember if it's actually good or not.

It is no problem, my good man. In fact, i think i'll give the game a spin myself. I'm fairly sure i did play it, years ago, but have no recollection of the experience at all.

Multi-headed Cow

THESE INDIE GAME SLOOK LIKE SHIT BROS THEYRE TRYING TO ACT LIKE THEYRE NOT POPOAMOLE BUT I KNOW ONE WHEN I SEE ONE AND I SEE ONE RIGHT NOW

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom