Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis Special Edition - fan remake

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I'm pretty sure this, despite looking alright-ish, would just make me want to play the original game again. I couldn't stand the new MI special editions, I really disliked the character design and pretty much everything, and I've come to the conclusion that, to me, the fascination that certain masterpieces exert on me in deeply intertwined with the format I originally enjoyed them in. This is the more valid when it comes to pixel-games. While I would totally cum at the idea of a Gothic or Morrowind remake (and I mean just upgrade the world to, say, Skyrim's standards and leave everything else as is), or Tie Fighter or even IWD (haters gonna hate), for some other games (Indiana Jones, Monkey Island, Ultima VII/VIII) I wouldn't want to play them in any other format than the original.

:hmmm:

I agree with you for the most part, but really man? Ultima 8? Okay, then.

Jools

Eater of Apples
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Insert Title Here Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
I'm pretty sure this, despite looking alright-ish, would just make me want to play the original game again. I couldn't stand the new MI special editions, I really disliked the character design and pretty much everything, and I've come to the conclusion that, to me, the fascination that certain masterpieces exert on me in deeply intertwined with the format I originally enjoyed them in. This is the more valid when it comes to pixel-games. While I would totally cum at the idea of a Gothic or Morrowind remake (and I mean just upgrade the world to, say, Skyrim's standards and leave everything else as is), or Tie Fighter or even IWD (haters gonna hate), for some other games (Indiana Jones, Monkey Island, Ultima VII/VIII) I wouldn't want to play them in any other format than the original.

I guess that, for Ultima VIII, I should have said "I wouldn't want to play them in any other format than the original." period. The thing is, Ultima VIII is what got me into the Ultima series at all, being the first one I came in contact with and played, thus it will always withold a certain "sentimental value" (similarly to, say, one's first secks or first KFC or first pizza or first time watching EpIV etc...). But well, yeah, I admit it's the less "masterpiece" of the games I mentioned. Sorry bro.

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong

I guess that, for Ultima VIII, I should have said "I wouldn't want to play them in any other format than the original." period. The thing is, Ultima VIII is what got me into the Ultima series at all, being the first one I came in contact with and played, thus it will always withold a certain "sentimental value" (similarly to, say, one's first secks or first KFC or first pizza or first time watching EpIV etc...). But well, yeah, I admit it's the less "masterpiece" of the games I mentioned. Sorry bro.

Well, that makes sense.

No need to apologize. I was more surprised than anything else, but hell, it's not a crime or anything like that.

kaizoku

Arcane
While I see no need for a remake, it doesn't look bad at all. Apart from Sophia's hair.

I'd like to think that a remake will lead to more and better adventure games.
But we all know how that will pan out.

Jarpie

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA
in before they get sued by Disney or Paramount for making unlicensed product.

aiEJH.gif

Jugashvili

管官的官
Patron
Codex 2013
My impressions so far:

• I really like the rearranged soundtrack. It's very close to Clint Bajakian's original score but much more effective than the synth version of the MIDI score that came with the CD version.
  • Overall I like how they've filled in the gaps, especially when it comes to backgrounds and environments. The leap from low-res to high-res graphics implied making a lot of decisions and so far they haven't disappointed me. I'm eager to see how they've represented the Atlantean technology and artifacts, which were quite impressive in the original. The portrait of Nur-Ab-Sal during Sophia's show was just bizarre though.
  • The amateur voice acting is pretty meh and often inferior to that in the talkie CD version (which was not stellar in the first place). I appreciate the effort but sometimes the delivery and pacing are just off. Kerner still sounds stupidly obvious as a Nazi spy, but that precedent was set by the talkie version. The guy who plays Bjorn Heimdall made a convincing Swedish Chef impression at first but didn't keep it up throughout the entirety of his lines. Sternhardt's voice is awful.
  • Some animations are actually less convincing than the 2D animations. The comedic pacing in the intro level isn't as effective, the fight against Kerner feels less visceral. Some animations feel very wooden and detract from the overall effect. Sophia's show sequence in New York didn't flow well. They could have had the seaplane land behind the buildings in the Azores rather than have Indy and Sophia magically appear on shore and then transmogrify into a taxi. Minor niggles, but still.
  • The character art seems to be more realistic overall, though some characters (Costa, the stagehand) maintain a more caricatured look. I would have preferred the slightly exaggerated look across the board as in the original. I also don't like the fact that they kept the picture of Harrison Ford in the "National Archaeology" magazine but changed Sophia's portrait to a 3D rendering. Sophia's look and demeanor are less charming than in the original. Sternhardt suddenly looks soft and pudgy instead of tough and wiry.
  • They jumped the gun by
    having the medallion go "demonic" in Sophia's boudoir. It kind of ruins the buildup towards her getting possessed by Nur-Ab-Sal later on and how it is resolved.
  • Heimdall
    breaks his neck instead of freezing to death? Come on, that was comedy gold!

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom