Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Incursion source code to be released!

tred

Augur
Saturday, March 15th, 2014. Version 0.6.9I

I've been approached by someone in e-mail about fixing the bugs in Incursion, and I've put a lot of thought into things recently. I have been working on a tabletop RPG of my own recently, that has nothing to do with Incursion. I'm realizing at this point that I've left it for a negligently long time, so I'm going to open-source the last stable version. (The actual current version, with 1.5+ years extra development, is still in its infancy and not a functional game. Because it has a lot of new RPG-design ideas I'm using elsewhere, I'm keeping it for now. I may try to sort out the source-code portion and give it to the community if people want; honestly I don't think it is very useful.)

(...)

I will be releasing the source code under the Creative Commons Attribution license, with a polite and non-legally-binding request not to use copyleft or anti-commercial licences for derivative works composed primarily of Incursion unless licensing conflicts make your project unworkable otherwise.
I hope to get the source code up this weekend. That may not happen, depending on how busy I get. I have to get it to compile (into 0.6.9I) again on my own computer first, to make sure I'm even releasing the right version.

Fair warning: Released Incursion's sources are very, very tangled. There's a reason I eventually gave up and moved to a partial rewrite. I'm not sure what others will be able to do that I wasn't about crash-bugs, but some other things can probably be fixed.

seen at Incursion's official homepage

:kwafuckyeah:

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
Glad he finally saw the light. Incursion has the potential to be amazing if someone takes over some serious development of it.

Piety

Shitpostin'
Codex 2012 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Torment: Tides of Numenera
Oh this is fucking awesome.

It's been a few years (at least) since I've played this, I'm curious to see the current state of the thing. Then again, it sounds like maybe it's been a few years since the guy's worked on it, so maybe it'll be much as I remember.

getter77

Augur
This is where the action is now, bug reports/coding help/etc are sought after for the latest version---the dev's plan from here forward, for awhile at least, is to focus on game content/game centric bugs as opposed to whatever remaining tech backend woes now that Allegro has been given the heave for libtcod alongside other changes and saves and whatnot should, in theory, be working now as per the release from earlier today:

https://bitbucket.org/rmtew/incursion-roguelike

Damned Registrations

Anybody else been playing this recently? Seeing it get updated made me want to go back and play some more. I forgot how fucking complicated shit is. I axe half my characters as soon as they spawn because I've fucked up somehow and the build I envisioned doesn't work because they can't even wield their weapon or some shit. Best character so far is probably a kobold warrior. Obscenely high dex, a small shield, a main gauche and a few feats brings his defense total up past 30. Throw in the flawless dodge or whatever it's called to protect from natural 20's, and he's basically invincible. Though reduce traps are annoying as fuck, and I still have yet to find a branded weapon so some enemies can basically ignore my attacks via armour.

Ironically, it seems buggier than I remember, but maybe I just forgot how buggy it used to be. Still stable enough to play at any rate.

Also, this game is a fucking masterpiece of build variety and balance. Pretty much everything has some sort of purpose. All the skills that seem like they'd be useless like Knowledge: Religion or Jump or Craft have actual useful applications. None of your stats are dump stats. Even a chracter that has no intention of joining a party can find diplomacy useful for bartering, or something as simple as camping together so you don't get your throat slit while you sleep.

Damned Registrations

What does this game have that others doesn't?

One of the first winning characters for the game was a build that used spider climb + archery to snipe enemies while clinging to the ceiling. You just can't do shit like that in other roguelikes. I also like that it gives some alternate xp sources; barbarians for destroying magic items, but especially rogues get xp for ghosting areas and looting shit without being seen. The variety in loot is amazing too. So many items you can go several deaths in a row before seeing the same thing twice, compared to most roguelikes where you're tripping over rings of fire resistance every time you play.

I hope when they're done fixing bugs someone adds another 10 levels or so to the game. Would be cool to have shit like wildshaping into dragons to look forward to.

TigerKnee

Arcane
Well, one thing I like over other D&D 3.x games is that the skill system in Incursion isn't complete shit.

I think Incursion's strengths is mostly its build options. Mostly same strength and flaws of regular D&D 3.x I suppose, in that it's very possible to screw yourself by missing 1 point in requirements X or make a shit multi-class if you don't know what you're doing, but breaking the over your knee like Batman is fun if you figure it out on your own instead of looking it up on the Interwebs.

Damned Registrations

The random perks you can get on character creation really encourage you to experiment too. Builds that might normally be shit can be incredibly good if you start with certain items or abilities. Though it certainly takes a lot of trial and error to learn what all the stuff can do. Fuck if I can remember what 'biofeedback' does off the top of my head, or what a helm of orcsblood does for you.

TigerKnee

Arcane
Yeah, the random perk on CharGen is genius IMO.

Ironically adding more randomness through it cuts down on my OCD "Shit, not enough stats, gotta reroll 6 billion more times" since trying to get both god tier stats and good perks is kind of a lost cause anyway. If you get a good perk, sometimes you can accept sub-par stats so that helps lessen re-rolls.

getter77

Augur
I forget the specific methods needed, but there was something of a spectacle to be had that I remember from a long dead victory post in terms of somebody that managed a build that dual-wielded spiked chains to ridiculous effect and mental imagery.

Damned Registrations

Spiked chains are amazingly good weapons. Though I think I'd prefer simply having a shield to the whole slew of feats required for dual weilding. So many other good feats to get, dual weilding anything is hard to justify.

My current character is a lizardfolk barbarian. 26 con, 30 while raging. Practically immune to anything but crits, and has a form of natural regeneration too. Still using random shit weapons too. I want to use a maul for the knockdown/stun effects but fucking slimes are nearly immune to blunt weapons. And they're immune to crits too so I can't use the obscene crit multiplier on a maul to bust through. Plus they tend to grapple, which makes such a weapon useless anyways. Fucking slimes.

Monstrous Bat

Cipher
Incursion is one of the few video games that I could never figure out. In fact, the only time I've beaten Incursion was done with a drow mage (which is practically cheating). When I play a warrior or something I almost always die on the first two floors because 3x crit is bullshit. Still loved it though.

Damned Registrations

Incursion is full of bullshit, especially for warriors. Duodrones (unresistable dex loss every time you hit one in melee), various undead (disease auras, fear effects), enemies spamming you with disarm/grapple/trip attempts until they roll twenties to auto succeed. But they're so damned fun with all the combat options you have, and mages are so damned tedious, doubly so if you're trying to summon things.

getter77

Augur
New release just now, and it definitely brings the goods as far as trying to tackle some of the most infamous bugs the game has and then some! v0.6.9Y6 here seems to be quite a boon. Maybe some weirdness with chests now, but hey, progress.

Changes:
  • Issue 43: In past libtcod builds at least, when the game was waiting for input, the CPU would be at full usage. Now, the idle input loop only checks for input when it has to. From 100% to 2% CPU usage.
  • Issue 48: The cursor blinking support was not implemented for libtcod. Now it is, and the wonderous thing that it is can be viewed at various places like where you choose your gender in character creation.
  • Issue 26: Fix crash where missiles land on terrain where they cannot be placed (e.g. magma, slime, deep water) and it was assumed they were placed successfully, and subsequent logic failed. Reported with reproduction data by Frumple from Bay12 forums.
  • Issue 49: Fix crash where monster moves over chasm or similar terrain where they fall, then die through damage acquired in doing so. The logic did not check that the falling damage had killed the monster, and the logic crashed as a result. Reported with reproduction data by Frumple from Bay12 forums.
  • Issue 51: Fix use of control and alt in UI like the inventory. The fixes for non-US keyboards broke this use case by accident.
  • Issue 54: Casting a spell at a deep water tile was treated as casting a spell when standing on a deep water tile.
  • Issue 52: Chests were not autolootable, because chests are a type of container, but chests are not specifically containers. The scripting language only recognised containers as containers. Now, anything checked to be a container, will be considered a container even if it is a chest. This may introduce problems where only specifically containers are intended to be included, and now chests are also.

getter77

Augur
Yet another new release touching on a good many areas to effects both good and amusing:

Changes:
  • Issue 33: Fixed error message encountered when either creating a character, or reincarnating it, depending on whether 'Flooded Cavern' region is placed in the generated dungeon. This region had 'aboleth, with slaves' defined as a possible encounter, but sadly we have no aboleth (with or without slaves). Reported by holsety_s, but let's be honest we were all getting it and ignoring it.
  • Issue 58: Attacking a door would calculate final damage before applying material hardness bonuses (i.e. wizlock). Reported by Frumple.
  • Issue 62: If one weapon was ranged, all weapons would get the ranged tag in their description. Reported by Frumple.
  • Issue 65: Mobile fields from spells which were cancellable, could not be cancelled. Mobile fields from spells could be stacked ad infinitum, now they are hard coded as non-stackable. As each day passes, persistent effects should have been discarded, but a bug was modifying their duration and corrupted their identification as persistent. Reported by Frumple.
  • Issue 67: Moving while up a tree no longer has a chance of falling if the creature has the brachiation feat. Reported by Frumple.
  • Issue 71: Creatures attempting to move within a bad field (like a summoned swarm) would be unable to. Reported by Frumple.
  • Issue 76: Replace spell list for 'Shadow Magic' which had same list as 'Phantasmal Force', with Evocation spells as described. Reported by Frumple.
  • Issue 85: Fix a bug where if a creature had an innate ability and they rested, it would infinite loop trying to repeatedly remove it and failing because it shouldn't. Reported by Frumple.
  • Issue 86: Added 'Heightened Senses' to the 'Mortal Coil' spellbook. Reported by Frumple.
  • Issue 88: Change 'Chameleon Shifting' from an INFLICT (which has saving throws) to a GRANT (which has none). Specify the hide skill bonus should be +10, not unspecified which is a +0. Reported by Frumple.
  • Issue 90: Fixed crash where attacker standing on magma dies from magma damage incurred by attack/strike action, before actual strike action starts. Reported by Frumple.
  • Issue 93: Ordering one summoned ally to return to their home plane resulted in all summoned allies returning to their home plane.
  • Slipping on a pool of grease would incur some damage, and give a message that the acting entity fell. However, whatever action was in progress would be allowed to proceed. Now the action is aborted, in line with the acting entity falling over (and consistent with other slipping types).
  • Pressing escape in character creation when selecting gender would cause a crash when the character was later reincarnated. Now it is harmless.
  • Using English instead of American spelling, because if they speak in English accents in Game of Thrones, it's how they must do it in all fantasy worlds

getter77

Augur
Another update hitting various targets:

Changes:
  • Issue 91: When an object was removed (and deleted), it would remove all fields (e.g. modify objects within range) it had created which moved with it. This would leak the non-moving fields, which would get removed later with a hack, but because the creating object no longer existed the effects of the field could not be unapplied so it didn't bother. Reported by Frumple.
  • Issue 94: Creatures who see their friends get killed could have gotten afraid. Now mindless creatures in general are excluded from this. Reported by Joseph Kerr.
  • Issue 96: Made 'Augment Summoning' an official metamagic feat. Note that if the only metamagic you have is this one, the spell manager will simply say 'Au[g]ment Spell' in the metamagic listing; this is not a compound noun, but a verb phrase. Players are expected to be able to reconcile this to their 'Augment Summoning' feat. View the line with multiple metamagic feats, to see the pattern. Reported by Karagy.
  • Issue 97: Refreshing the spell manager rebuilt the feat list, which added onto the last time it was rebuilt, showing a more extended mangled doubled list each refresh. Reported by Karagy.
  • Issue 104: It is no longer possible to mount something which is asleep. Reported by Frumple.
  • Issue 109: Prevent mounting on a tile where it would not be possible to move to when mounted anyway. Reported by Frumple.
  • Issue 110: Logic in the encounter generation badly checked if there was an actor involved. I do not understand this game system, but this code is obviously bad. Reported by Frumple.
  • Issue 116: Using static variables for inventory enumeration state means that if the logic in the loop which is enumerating the inventory calls something which in turn reenumerates the inventory before returning, then the inventory enumeration state will be at it's end and the loop will prematurely exit.
  • Issue 117: Could not use the escape key to exit the y key use menu. The code supported handling an escape press already, but the flag to pay attention to escape at a lower level was not passed.
  • Issue 119: Trying to talk to something that was not a creature, or could not talk, would tell you they couldn't talk. Unless they were a creature who could not talk, where you could order them if they were friendly to you. Or if they were not a creature, when it went to see if they were friendly, it would just crash.
  • Issue 123: Bad code prevented the faster than the eye feat from allowing a player to put an item in a container and have it take no time.
  • Turned on compilation warnings and found truncated values which would affect things like alignment changing when eating appropriate food, greeting people and encounter generation in unknown ways I have not bothered to identify.
  • Fixed a crash where writing text left the cursor off the side of the screen, and the next time it blinked libtcod moaned about things being out of bounds.

getter77

Augur
The great fixing continues:

Changes:
  • Issue 11: Fix spelling mistakes ('breech'->'breach', 'percieve'->'perceive', 'inherant'->'inherent').
  • Issue 19: In system options menu, when switching to the 'macro bindings' page, the options description was leaked from the previous page.
  • Issue 27: Fix crash bugs which happen when dipping an item into a fountain. The first case was where the dipped item transforms into a hostile monster at the location of the target of the dipping action, only dipping actions do not have a target but rather a first item (the dipped item) and a second item (the fountain). The second case was where the item gets teleported somewhere on the map - only the map is larger than the bounds of the Roll() function, so a bounds error would be hit.
  • Issue 106: Fix a bug where potion of mending could be applied to anything regardless of that anything being a valid target.
  • Issue 106: Fix a bug where trying to apply something to an inventory items would crash when there were no items suitable to apply it to.
  • Issue 111: If you summon a phantom steed and it does not like you, it would go away. But the message to tell you that, was muted because of a previous message output muting in the spell script which hadn't been correspondingly unmuted in this case. Reported by Frumple.
  • Issue 125: The scroll position is now cleared when the scroll area is cleared, which means that where things are scrolled to is no longer the same even if something different was displayed in the scroll area. Reported by Karagy.
  • Issue 131: The Lifesight priest spell affects natural living creatures, otherwise known codewise as MA_NLIVING. There was no type name defined for this value, so when looked up it would print as 'Undefined 91'. Now it is mapped to 'Natural Living Creature'. Reported by Karagy.
  • Issue 133: The Forestation druid spell changes the terrain type, but turned allies hostile. This is a general reaction that happens to friendlies who are affected by an effect with EP_CURSE purpose. Forestation now has an additional purpose of EP_FIX_TROUBLE which ensures allies do not become hostile when affected by this. Reported by Karagy.
  • Issue 137: Add libtcod credit animation to the startup screen. Add some donation text to accompany it.
  • Issue 138: 'Change terrain type' in wizard menu implemented, replacing stub implementation which just put a 'wall of flame' tile down.
  • Issue 139: When the god Semirath gets angry, he tries to move things to random map locations, but causes a crash instead. This is another case of bounds being exceeded, and crashing ensuing.

Damned Registrations

You can intimidate (or persuade) people into giving you all their shit or joining your party, play as a kobold barbarian, have your throat cut in your sleep, sunder, disarm and trip people, and fight monsters that take up like 5x5 tile areas. With grappling. It's fucking awesome.

I'm going to be all over this once they fix the stupid charm mechanics.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom