Tacticular Cancer: We'll have your balls

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Technology Inconvenient EU piracy study kept hidden for years.

Discussion in 'SCIENCE!!' started by racofer, Sep 22, 2017.

1. Make America Great Again racofergender: ⚧ Thread Incliner

racofer
    Parrots:
    Click here and disable ads!
    OY VEY!
    [​IMG]

Where are the moralfags now to argue on the wrongness of piracy? It even helps your favorite backyard developers to earn money.

• Brofist x 16
    • Informative x 11
    • Participation Award x 2
    • Funny x 2
    • Salute x 2
    • Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    • gimme dem dolla bills x 1
    • incline x 1
    • Rage x 1
    • [citation needed] x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. FeelTheRadsgender: ⚧ Arcane Patron

FeelTheRads
    Parrots:
    But what if everyone bought everything they downloaded, huh? Huh?
    Every download is a lost sale, including multiple downloads by the same person, you fucking pirate!

• Funny Funny x 16
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • hopw roewur ne hopw roewur ne x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. laclongquangender: ⚧ Arcane

laclongquan
    Parrots:
    It's easier to blame piracy for lost sales than to try to improve their own business or product. Thus the reason why executives blowing the horn of antipiracy.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Brofist Brofist x 2
    • Salute Salute x 1
    • it is a mystery it is a mystery x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. VentilatorOfDoomgender: ⚧ RPG Codex Staff Patron

VentilatorOfDoom
    Parrots:
    What if everybody would pirate everything? Do you think that would affect anything at all? Like, if shit is even being made?

• it is a mystery it is a mystery x 4
    • "It was Aliens" "It was Aliens" x 2
    ^ Top  
  5. FeelTheRadsgender: ⚧ Arcane Patron

FeelTheRads
    Parrots:
    I'm guessing the correct answer is... no?

In which case, seeing as shit is still being made I'm also guessing not everyone is pirating. Which would never happen just as it wouldn't happen that everyone who pirates something would've bought it.
    Which was what I meant... equating piracy with loss is dubious since there's no way to tell who would've bought if they had no opportunity to pirate. Consider that even in that case, if someone bought something they might then not afford to buy something else... and then what? That's also a lost sale. It's like these huge corporations think everyone has an infinite amount of money.
    I do assume that this can hurt small businesses, though. I mean the kind of business that could get by with the extra sales from those that could indeed afford to buy but just don't, which sucks, I guess.

As for getting extra sales as a result of piracy, I don't know how true that is. And this maybe wouldn't be relevant for 1st worlders, but I know that growing up in a post-communist shithole, if there was no piracy, I most likely wouldn't have gotten a computer and learned to use it and later make money with it and purchase shit.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2017
    • Salute Salute x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. Balorgender: ⚧ Arcane

Balor
    Parrots:
    *Shit* is subjective definition. One man's junk is an other man's treasures and all that... still, when everyone can get an 'extended demo' of a hyped product and find out it is actually NOT like it was advertised (one recent game comes to mind), it does provides less incentive for shenanigans like that at the very least.

• Salute Salute x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. FeelTheRadsgender: ⚧ Arcane Patron

FeelTheRads
    Parrots:
    That's also true, I'm sure piracy stops some sales when people see what they would've thrown their money on otherwise. Trying as hard as possible, I can't see that as a bad thing, especially given how difficult historically has been to return software products. Even currently, you can't return boxed software if it was opened... so... basically, after you tried it and decided that it's shit.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2017
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • incline incline x 1
    • Salute Salute x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. Davarisgender: ⚧ Arcane

Davaris
    Parrots:
    I saw a study less than 2 years ago, where they found people who pirate movies spend the most on going to cinema, buying dvds, and subscription to cable.

I'm not surprised Hollywood movies are down 5%, I expected it to be far more, because the quality of scripts has generally been poor for decades. For some reason they can make these movies look incredible, but when it comes to substance it just isn't there.

• Salute Salute x 1
    • it is a mystery it is a mystery x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. Dicksmokergender: ⚧ Arcane

Dicksmoker
    Parrots:
    In all fairness, whether or not piracy has a positive impact on the business side of things really has little bearing on the ethical side of the argument.

• retadred retadred x 6
    • Agree Agree x 3
    ^ Top  
  10. Melcargender: ⚧ Arcane

Melcar
    Parrots:
    Don't copy that floppy.

• Prestigious x 8
    • Old x 3
    • Funny x 2
    • Agree x 1
    • Racist x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. laclongquangender: ⚧ Arcane

laclongquan
    Parrots:
    No, they would not pirate everything. Because they dont want it, and there's too many thing to pirate already.

Let me use an example in the book industry.

There's a lot of pirating in books, what with the prevalent of ebook. Still, there's a few authors that wont get pirate the first three months after it's available, the period of time when most of the possible sales occur. They will get pirated eventually, but in term of possible sale damage, that period of time is most important.

Because the author's writings are not to the taste of possible pirates, that's why. And there's just no telling who will get pirated or not. No. Telling. At All. Some NY list best seller author wont get it, while some new authors get it first month. Or vice versa.

No, they would not pirate everything.

• Salute Salute x 1
    • [citation needed] [citation needed] x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. Sodafishgender: ⚧ Arcane

Sodafish
    Parrots:
    I've been saying this for years.

Don't hold your breath waiting to ever hear about this in the MSM tho.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Salute Salute x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. Heltongender: ⚧ Arcane

Helton
    Parrots:
    What if everybody would flush their toilets at the same time? Do you think that would affect anything at all? Like, if shit is even being flushed?

• Funny Funny x 6
    • it is a mystery it is a mystery x 3
    • Yes Yes x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. Morkargender: ⚧ illiterate

Morkar
    Parrots:
    Yeah, or they just enjoy the game or buy it when it's cheap enough to be affordable. But ofc it's because of presale bonus content and shit...

I'm all for not pirating everything but just because someone illegally downloads/watches something doesn't mean he would automatically have bought it otherwise.

Anyway, I guess I'm too dumb to read that chart or I'm not getting their negative hyperbole statements. It's actually way more positive than they make it. For games only 18% are illegally downloading them and that includes Poland!

I guess their price policy (Steam sales and preorder with content hostages) and going away from physical copies (which includes physical materials other than the fucking dvd) are more responsible for piracy nowadays. Making it modding unfriendly and stuffing it out with draconian drm makes it even more appealing to just download a game, finish it once and than delete it instead of keeping it on your hd, shelf and heart.

• Yes Yes x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. Don Pestegender: ⚧ Arcane

Don Peste
    Parrots:
    You wouldn't download a car. Unless you want to boost car sales.

• Creative Creative x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Yes Yes x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. Make America Great Again DragoFireheartgender: ⚧ all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.

DragoFireheart
    Parrots:
    The obvious solution is to make your product so shitty people won't bother trying to pirate it

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • incline incline x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. DraQgender: ⚧ Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

DraQ
    Parrots:
    Those are also the ones that benefit the most from every additional mouth saying that whatever they are selling even exists.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. FeelTheRadsgender: ⚧ Arcane Patron

FeelTheRads
    Parrots:
    Could be, I guess. Maybe in the end it all evens out. :happytrollboy:

• Funny Funny x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. Damned Registrationsgender: ⚧ Prestigious Gentleman Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist

Damned Registrations
    Parrots:
    I would imagine the biggest effect would be on the relationship between obscurity, quality, and marketing. No idea how it all shakes out, but my instinct is that while it might make a small difference in total sales, it might be shifting a ton of those sales towards or away from more obscure games and doing the opposite with highly marketed games.

It can't help but improve things for better quality games though. More info in the hands of the consumer is a good thing.

• Yes Yes x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. Crispygender: ⚧ Old Man Undisputed Queen of Faggotry

Crispy
    Parrots:
    I absolutely agree. Although I will likely discontinue citing any kind of negative impact on the business aspect of the argument due to studies like this, it will never sway me to excuse people who do it. The ends don't justify the means.

If and when the computer games industry, however, gets wise and starts re-implementing widespread use and promotion of generously lengthy and detailed demos, hopefully rendering piracy far less of an issue at all, I will say it was ultimately a good thing.

• cuck x 2
    • Brofist x 1
    • Disagree x 1
    • Fabulously Optimistic x 1
    • retadred x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. Jaedargender: ⚧ Arcane Patron

Jaedar
    Parrots:
    Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
    I disagree, the effect of an action has a lot of bearing on how ethical that action is. Not a lot of point arguing about it though, just wanted to say I think you are dumb for thinking differently.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Brofist Brofist x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • retadred retadred x 1
    ^ Top  
  22. Davarisgender: ⚧ Arcane

Davaris
    Parrots:
    Eh I wouldn't worry about pirates, as they never cared about your game anyway. Just make a community and attract long term supporters. Ones who do it right are the Pro Fantasy people. Every year or so they send emails with info about free bug fixes and improvements. And there is a magazine with addons they sell. I've spent a lot on them over the years.

• Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. catfoodgender: ⚧ AGAIN

catfood
    Parrots:
    The funny thing is... yeah, that's the main reason I don't pirate games anymore.

• Funny Funny x 5
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Shit Shit x 1
    ^ Top  
  24. spectregender: ⚧ Arcane

spectre
    Parrots:
    Yeah, with 40+ gigabyte isos pirating these days feels like you need to plan this shit and actually see if its worth the trouble.
    Now imagine wasting all that bandwith on stuff that turned to be shit, and you've gotten it legally too.

I'm glad this study actually came to light. It's like a small victory for common sense.

I feel I kinda needed that, because I am fresh after demoing Senua's Sacrifice after being mislead that it's actually worth my time, and felt like I dodged a freaking bullet.
    So, to all you guys yammering about ethics, riddle me this: If I watch this shit through on youtube, do I still owe them 30 Euro, or can I make that up by disabling adblock for this session?
    Bonus question: Do I get a discount for enduring some faggot's ugly mug leering at me in the corner?

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Salute Salute x 1
    ^ Top  
  25. Melcargender: ⚧ Arcane

Melcar
    Parrots:
    So we now need free demos to decide if shit is worth pirating?

• Yes Yes x 3
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)