Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incognita - Turn based stealth/strategy from Klei

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor

www.incognitagame.com

The setup, as it was told to me, is that players guide spies for the Agency through buildings infested with security guards, cameras, and other obstructions. Along the way, hacking computers earns ICE breakers that can be used to hack mainframes.

The levels are procedurally generated, and in the demo, I was able to break into the security camera mainframe and task the devices to work for me. This meant that I wouldn't call down the full force of corp-sec by walking in the wrong spot. It also allowed me to see into rooms further along my path.

Unlike XCOM, the progression isn't just about getting from the beginning to the end. It's also about unlocking new teams of agents with different skills to work through the adventure. These are similar to FTL's different ships. The configurations might be different and the maps may change, but the main beats of the game are consistent.

Players are on a time limit (similar to FTL), and the building itself will go into an alarm state after a specified number of turns. Agents must move quickly and efficiently, taking out guards, freeing captive agents, and making their way to the exit. This is facilitated by a smart movement system.

Unlike most turn-based strategy games, players are not limited to one (or in the case of XCOM: Enemy Unknown, two) move phases. Instead, players can move agents up to their total move range in as many increments as they want. This allows agents to move close to doors, peer through, and then move through if safe.

http://www.gameinformer.com/games/i...is-roguelike-strategy-with-a-dash-of-ftl.aspx

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
While I didn't really care for Eets and Shank I thought Mark of the Ninja was really well done and Don't Starve was a great concept although it fell a bit flat in execution. It lacked challenge or, at least some kind of focused narrative and was poorly balanced in that you could ignore nearly 75% or so of the items. And while they've added a decent amount of content since I last played most of it is just more items so the game plays like a grimdark version of Sims.

This, I think, will turn out well since it isn't as open-ended and it is easier to focus. In one interview I heard them say they haven't really developed an 'end game' yet so that has me slightly worried. Still I'm D1P'ing this with MHC as it's in a two pack for what is essentially $8ish a piece.

Last edited:

DeepOcean

Arcane
The setup, as it was told to me, is that players guide spies for the Agency through buildings infested with security guards, cameras, and other obstructions. Along the way, hacking computers earns ICE breakers that can be used to hack mainframes.

The levels are procedurally generated, and in the demo, I was able to break into the security camera mainframe and task the devices to work for me. This meant that I wouldn't call down the full force of corp-sec by walking in the wrong spot. It also allowed me to see into rooms further along my path.

Unlike XCOM, the progression isn't just about getting from the beginning to the end. It's also about unlocking new teams of agents with different skills to work through the adventure. These are similar to FTL's different ships. The configurations might be different and the maps may change, but the main beats of the game are consistent.

Players are on a time limit (similar to FTL), and the building itself will go into an alarm state after a specified number of turns. Agents must move quickly and efficiently, taking out guards, freeing captive agents, and making their way to the exit. This is facilitated by a smart movement system.

Unlike most turn-based strategy games, players are not limited to one (or in the case of XCOM: Enemy Unknown, two) move phases. Instead, players can move agents up to their total move range in as many increments as they want. This allows agents to move close to doors, peer through, and then move through if safe.
The graphics and this description reminds me alot of Shadowrun Returns, if it wasn't a corridor RPG and actually implemented shadowruns in it.

7h30n

Augur
Preordered it and playing the early access. If you are interested I will post detailed impressions later.

So far there's only one randomly generate level and no strategic layer at all.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Keep in mind this is early Alpha and the preorders only went on sale yesterday.

7h30n

Augur
So, the game is very much early alpha but is already quite enjoyable (random generated levels was a good design decision).

Turn based mechanics are somewhat of a mix between old and new X-Com. Each agent has movement points which are obviously used for moving and 1 action point which is used for an action. Alongside moving and actions that waste that single Action point there are also Free Actions (like dropping items and peeking). Some work well with this system (like opening doors and dropping items) and some not. For example, peeking is a free action and I don't see any downsides when using it (Perhaps guards can see you peek? But I haven't encountered that, yet). You can peek as many times as you want without any penalty so who wouldn't want to peek around every corner and door? This then becomes a bit tedious to play... I would have preferred full on time unit/action points system (like old X-Com and Jagged Alliance) where each action takes a certain amount of points. This would then present the player with a choice: do I run through that door/around that corner or waste my time peeking just to be safe, instead of move to door/corner, peek and continue on your way safely with no trade off as currently is.

There is an alarm system, it has 20 levels. Each turn it raises up for a level, when it hits 20 extra guards are spawned. It feels a bit gamey but works well as a tension builder and at the moment it's timed just so you can finish the level before it hits full alert. Security systems are pretty nicely implemented and tied into it and there are certain random events which can affect it. For example, when hacking a computer you may be presented with a choice to get extra stuff and that might trigger the alarm (raise it by couple of levels).

AI is basic and works as expected. They hear sounds of your agents (movement, opening doors) and call for backup. I haven't seen them wake up a KOed buddy although they do notice other guards lying around dead or alive.

Combat is interesting and really lethal. Targets that are in open can be hit with 100% accuracy. This is provides certainty that your plan to KO someone will succeed and makes for a nice stealth/tactical play. On the other hand, that same system is great for the AI. Get spotted and unless you get in cover you'll be dead in no time, and even the cover isn't that much reliable. Overall the game pushes you to run away and hide if you get spotted, or even better, don't get spotted at all :D

There is an inventory system. At the moment you get class pre set items, but they can be shared and used by other agents as well. Unfortunately there is no item throwing, only dropping. Items can be acquired on the level in safes or looting a dead agent.

Graphics are ok. I like the art style, but I have some problems spotting cameras and hackable safes. Also, sometimes it's a bit hard to see and select agents behind objects.

Oh right, mainframe mode. There's the so called Mainframe mode, the system works like this.
Each computer you hack provides you with CPU points which you can use through Mainframe mode to hack visible security systems (cameras, lasers), safes or special computers/servers (like camera server which when hacked displays where all the cameras are in the level). Every turn you get as many CPU points as you have hacked computers, more CPU points means you can hack more stuff. It's simple and nice mechanic. Hope they will expand on it.

The game feels rather good. Looking forward to further development.

Silva

Arcane
Looks very much like Monaco, only turn-based.

If I pre-order do I get bonus characters ? It would be cool to have Garret, Solid Snake, Sam Fisher and Agent 47 in the same team.

Dr Tomo

Learned
Might pick it up as the studio does make decent games like Don't starve. Are all the guards the same or are there going to be different ones? Can't recall from the live stream if that was asked or covered.

7h30n

Augur
Currently they are all the same, influding the SWAT team that goes after you when alarm is full.
I presume as AI, items and art is more developed we will see different guards. It would be just stupid if there was only 1 kind od guard.

Oh, and I forgot to mention about the stealth system. You cannot see the exact line of sight of a guard (and they appear to have unlimited range but limited angle). Obviously you can see the general direction they are looking in based on animation.
Another thing that is revealed to you are the guard patrol routes your agents saw. It works like this, guard takes a turn. On your turn, if you see the guard, the route he took on previous turn is displayed on the map (if you can see the route). This makes identifying patrols easier and quicker while not feeling like cheating. I feel like there's some odd behaviour with this system (bugs?) so it might change in the future, or if I figure out how exactly it works I'll post it.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Best to buy it now. Klei starts their games off cheap then raises the price as they get closer to release. So now it's effectively $8.50 if you split the two pack. When it's released it'll be $20ish and they probably won't give you a free copy. That's how they did Don't Starve.

FuelBlooded

Scholar
Preordered it and playing the early access. If you are interested I will post detailed impressions later.

Did you give your 2nd key to anyone?

Bruticis

What up with all these shit posters begging for keys everywhere lately?

Last edited by a moderator:

FuelBlooded

Scholar
I am not begging, just simply asking a Yes or No question.
I never said I can't offer anything.

He'll sell it to you for $8.50.
Damn, the most I was going to offer was $8.49.

Last edited:

7h30n

Augur

Did you give your 2nd key to anyone?

He'll sell it to you for $8.50.

I didn't give the key to anyone... yet.

I'm thinking about having an auction, starting price for the key 8.50$ :troll:

Last edited:

Elthosian

Arcane
The game has been updated:

With this update we are starting to build the main progression loop, so now you will be able to carry your team from one floor to the next. There is a shop to spend the credits you collect and you can find all types of agents to rescue and make your team larger. This is just the start of this process, but it we hope it will give you a better feel for our future vision of the game.

Change list notes:

• Improved procedural map generation
  • Shop item
  • Agent revival via adrenaline syringes
  • Many small UI improvements
  • Refined combat mechanics and new combat panel presentation
  • Continuous floor(level) advancement
  • Options menu with volume control.
  • New agent animation effects such as "pinning" when standing on a KOed guard.
  • Update timer added to the main menu.

There seem to exist some problems with the Steam updater though, so you have to go into properties and then to the beta tab and set it to "Dev -", it didn't work for some people but at least for many users it did.

Also, one of the devs said that while it's safe to download the current version that way, it's better to set beta settings to default once you've finished downloading so your game doesn't get updated to unstable versions in the future.

http://forums.kleientertainment.com/index.php?/topic/28164-incognita-update-1-sept-25/

Vibalist

Arcane
I loved Mark of the Ninja, and this looks like something I might enjoy too. I like how Klei seem to be trying their hands at something new every time, rather than just rehashing older projects.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom