Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

In your opinon, which is the best Gothic game?

Zorgfin

AndhairaMCMXCVI
I like the gameplay and storyline of the series, but I don't wanna play the entire series, so I wanna know which one did you like the best.

Morkar Left

The first one had the best atmosphere for me. The whole gameplay and concept was tailored to the whole "new prisoner in prison thing".

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Arcania, obviously :troll:

Second. First had the best setting, sure, but Gothic 2 was basically the same game just with three times as much content.

Zorgfin

AndhairaMCMXCVI

SoupNazi

Well we haven't had this question asked in a long time.

Ismaul

Thought Criminal #3333
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Gothic 1 for atmosphere and cohesion. You truly feel as a lowly prisoner that needs to prove himself, and the world makes sense based on that. Until you get to the linear dungeoncrawl ending, that is.

Gothic 2 has a lot more to do, but it feels too much like a traditional fantasy rpg to me. Kinda trades that underdog feeling, that small familiar place for some epicness and open-world exploration. Nothing like Morrowind and sequels, still very good, but not as good as the first. That is without Night of the Raven; haven't played with the expansion that supposedly fixes that, at the cost of much harder difficulty I hear. Gameplay might be better/more blalanced that G1.

G3 has its supporters, I remember VD defended it when it came out, didn't waste my time on it.

CorpseZeb

Learned
Uh, come on. Gothic series is like a medium-raw steak, you must have some sort of refine taste to like it. And, god forbid those vegetarian heretics...

LordDenton

Augur
Very tough to pick. I suppose I loved Gothic 1 the most, closely followed by Gothic 3 and then Gothic 2. The ordering really is irrelevant, since the Gothic games are some of the best games ever made.

Gothic 4 is not a real Gothic game, and if you say it is, then it lies somewhere between cell phone games and the fourth layer of hell.

Kraszu

Prophet
Start with Gothic I, Gothic I, and II are very similar so just start with Gothic I.

Gothic 3 differs allot but it is great game with community patch, alternative balancing, and AI on. The thing about G3 that many people were criticizing is that there is plenty of terrain with nothing really interesting there, but that makes exploring more realistic you first get clues on where to find something and then you search for it, not just go in random direction, and expect something awesome to happen.

cutterjohn

Cipher
I'm not a Gothic fanboi, but I REALLY liked the more open world, more openendedness of G3 personally...

Nothing in G1 or 2 made me say OH BOY(!!!!) I want more of this crap... and Risen just made me say oh, HAY kinda G2 but worse... and so I've skipped Risen 2 so far until I can get it cheap...

IOW kinda like the X-series but I never bought into Gothic until 2 which is the same for X, but the X series brought more to each iteration than Gothic other than 3, then they backslid for teh console kiddiez...

Murk

Arcane
That would be a comparison of Gothic 3 vs Oblivion, not Gothic 1, 2, or 3. You haven't played the games, you do not know which one is a "good orange" and which one is a "rotten orange". Play them all if you like games so much as the first 3 games are all "good oranges", or better yet, quit with the stupid threads.

cutterjohn

Cipher
Stop fucking comparing Gothic to OTHER RPGs FFS!

The question IS which GOTHIC game do YOU LIKE the BEST NOT how do you compare them to OTHER games FCS!

I mentioned my reasons, although I'll npow add that the godawful UI of G1 & 2 didn't help my enjoyment much... Teh germans lived in teh dark ages of no mices until g3 clearly...

[EDIT]
.. or more likely crapple threatened to sue them for using a mouse...
[/EDIT]

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom