Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

In what forum should NON-massively multiplayer RPGs be discussed?

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Online co-op games are a big thing these days, blurring the traditional divide between single player and true massively multiplayer online worlds.

So, where do we talk about online multiplayer (but non-"massive") RPGs, like Diablo 3 or Bioware's new Shadow Realms?

The Codexian tendency is to say fuck it and put 'em all in the MMO forum anyway. But on the other hand, we wouldn't put a thread about an online/multiplayer but non-MMO first person shooter (like Team Fortress 2) there. So it's kind of a double standard.

Personally, I generally agree that we're best served by segregating "online multiplayer RPGs" from real/proper single player RPGs. As such, I'd suggest changing the MMORPG forum's description to something like:

Are MMORPGs doomed to fail, or are they the best thing since sliced bread? This is the forum for all online multiplayer RPGs, and for non-RPG MMOs as well.

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
didn't we already have this thread a couple of times in the past?

made

Arcane
Rename the MMO forum to multiplayer/online and dump the shit in there. Not like the 3 guys who post in it will mind or care.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
General Gaming, why must you make this more complex? Just because a game has multiplayer doesn't mean it doesn't belong in GG.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
We should create various new sub-forums, to make things easier:

Single-Player RPGs
Local Hot-seat RPGs
Local Split-screen Co-op RPGs
Online Co-op RPGs
Party (1-8) Online RPG
Small Multiplayer Online RPG
Multiplayer Online RPG
Massive Multiplayer Online RPG
Real Life

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Religion is an MMO: mindless repetitive tasks performed over and over again with the hope of an eventual payoff in the 'end-game.'

dibens

as seen on shoutbox
Patron
Imo mmo sub should be reserved for games that fall into the classic description of the term. The rest of the games can go into the other threads. I for example don't understand why D3 and Path Of Exile are there. It's not massively online since you can only play with 4-6chars at a time, it has no persistent world and 99% of the time is spent in single player.

If you do expand sub-forums, I would love to see an arpg subforum to put all the hack'n'slashers in, since that's actually a big genre nowadays. Your LoLs, Mobas, TF2s and similar shit could go to PvP subforum. Call it "Arena" or something.

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Changed the description to "online only", to avoid moving any game with an online/co-op/multiplayer component there.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Changed the description to "online only", to avoid moving any game with an online/co-op/multiplayer component there.

It should be: For discussion about RPGs which are online only but which are not technically MMO's.

(actually it shouldn't exist at all but let's be consistent here)

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire

It should be: For discussion about RPGs which are online only but which are not technically MMO's.

(actually it shouldn't exist at all but let's be consistent here)

But is Star Stable an RPG? Also I think DU called it "(RP)G" for a reason.

Maybe it should be a General Gaming subforum instead.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom