Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Completed In the grim darkness of Fantasy Poland, there is only potato. (Thea: The Awakening LP)

Kayerts

Arcane
So, having children in your village can attract demons, vampires and worse stuff. DRAKENGARD I mean, grimdark indeed. :lol: Too bad the "Quest Elf" doesn't seem to react to the fact your party has several Elves. In any case, I vote for A. Let's go with Mage, the Ascension ending.

By the way, that giant rat rocks. :lol: Can you provide more details about what does it do? Does it count as a fighter or something, or does it only work for special events?

EDIT: That "dragon diplomacy" event was awesome. Seeing that your party (well, army at this point) is becoming increasingly more "culturally diverse", is it possible to have dwarves join you as well?

The demons make some amount of sense, I think. The natural disasters are harder to explain. :lol:

Dwarves: sadly, no. If you're playing Lada, you get an option to engage in Advanced Dwarf Diplomacy when you hit the bandit event. As Svarog, we had a chance to get a dwarf smith after we killed the original zmey, but instead we got saddled with a baby fire demon. The only way we could get one now would be to build a solid gold wall around our village and then wait ~35 turns for a dwarf to show up.

The rat is one of the worst possible recruits in the game. :) It's a basic fighter type, but slightly weaker than an entry level warrior, and it can't equip weapons or armor. They tend to be reasonably stealthy, but that's about it. They do make excellent werewolf candidates. :lol:

PocketMine

Savant
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech
So, having children in your village can attract demons, vampires and worse stuff.

RNG ingame can be forgiving had children in Ostoya for hundred turns without any problem. But sometimes it likes to remind you of your mistakes. some examples:

Forgot to take children on expedition about 5 turns later dragon ate them. :negative: Event itself was greatly written. It starts with expedition to dragons lair finding Cobbler selling shoes and dragon slaying services. So i was like:positive:after even if lost more then i gained.

Yesterday had a 4-skull band wandering around village making me nervous. I could handle them savely but needed all guys to win social challenge. "Just finish crafting suit of armor then take them out with all and come back next turn". Band moved bit away next turn. Ok whatever will be back in two turns no other hostiles in sight . Took them out safely. Next turn Peruns thunderstorm event in village. "Since you left your village unatended you loose half your supplys and all six buildings including level 3 watchtower" :mixedemotions:RNG.

On the other side if you build your buildings out of enchanted or dragon bones same demons killing your children come back to join your army. :lol:

Kayerts

Arcane
Forgot to take children on expedition about 5 turns later dragon ate them. :negative: Event itself was greatly written. It starts with expedition to dragons lair finding Cobbler selling shoes and dragon slaying services. So i was like:positive:after even if lost more then i gained.

Yeah, the tradeoff for that event is pretty favorable in most games. (2 children for 1 sage and massive amounts of high-level crafting materials.) And, yeah, the way the game reacts almost instantly when you leave a kid in the village is funny; it's like they send out a kid-shaped Bat Signal.

It might also interest you to know that the "Vavel Dragon" (as the event is called) is based on a specific Polish legend, and the quest solution plays out almost exactly as the story goes:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wawel_Dragon#Late_Middle_Ages

Last edited:

lightbane

Arcane
Well, that plague event is not triggered by having children in the village, right? If it does, then the game indeed hates children. :lol:

Also, something you didn't mention but it's worth pointing out: after defeating that dragon, one of the items you acquired as loot were a pair of kids. The game doesn't mention what they were doing here, but it's obvious it wasn't going to be a pleasant fate. Grimderpdark indeed. :lol:

PocketMine

Savant
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech
The demons make some amount of sense, I think. The natural disasters are harder to explain. :lol:

Back in old religions disasters were physical manifestations of gods. Earthquake = Mokosh is angry opens earth to swallow you up. Thunderstorm = Perun smites you with lightning for your sins. Ingame Perun is trapped as sentient lightning with his brothers in magical conductor build by University of Krakow mages.

Yeah, the tradeoff for that event is pretty favorable in most games. (2 children for 1 sage and massive amounts of high-level crafting materials.) And, yeah, the way the game reacts almost instantly when you leave a kid in the village is funny; it's like they send out a kid-shaped Bat Signal.

It might also interest you to know that the "Vavel Dragon" (as the event is called) is based on a specific Polish legend, and the quest solution plays out almost exactly as the story goes:

For me tradeoff was 2 children + waifu for Skuba for some high-level crafting material mostly dragon leather. Cool now i know why this event is above rest in writting.

Well, that plague event is not triggered by having children in the village, right? If it does, then the game indeed hates children. :lol:

Nope plague, poisoned well, Peruns thunderstorm, fire and some other children killing events trigger without children too. But im sure Vavel Dragon event does not.

drexciya

Augur
Voting A. And I noted that the game is on GoG now with a mild discount. It's that I have such a huge backlog of games, otherwise this would be a sure buy.

Black

Arcane
Well then, purge the heretic. I stand by my B choice. Orcs, goblins, elves, dwarves etc are all filthy and out to murder human children after all.
The spirit of The White Man speaks true, B.

Kayerts

Arcane
V. ETERNAL SUNSHINE
SOUNDTRACK

We were given a map to the Cosmic Tree, the final destination of our quest. The tree is not in particularly difficult territory, so we just walk up to the tree and have a chat with the final boss.

2016-01-13_00150.jpg

2016-01-13_00151.jpg

2016-01-13_00152.jpg

Zmey (this is apparently his name; he's either referred to as "Zmey" or "the Zmey" but never "a Zmey") is referred to as a "master trickster." His main trick in the scope of our interactions is that he can punch people really hard. He sometimes displays a second trick of being able to be punched really hard. It's nice that modern narratives have enough clever antiheroes in them that so many people want to think of themselves as tricksters, but it's a lot easier to call yourself a trickster than to regularly pull off tricks. As with Internet trolls, so with potato dragons.

Anyway, we elect to resolve this challenge by punching him, because we too have a few tricks up our sleeves! Or possibly at the ends of them!

2016-01-13_00153.jpg

I didn't screenshot the battle because it took one round. It began with three of our dudes taking out Zmey before he could act, and ended with the rest of the incredibly overpowered party proceeding to stomp his coterie of elder drakes into the ground and urinate on their corpses in the remaining half a round.

As a reward for completing our glorious quest, we get a few diamonds and some mid-tier materials! These rewards are slightly worse than what we got from killing those spiders at the beginning of the game.

2016-01-13_00154.jpg

2016-01-13_00155.jpg

But the non-material rewards are pretty good. All wounds healed, and several large, permanent stat buffs to three characters.

The thread voted to restore the tree.

2016-01-13_00156.jpg

2016-01-13_00158.jpg

So it was written, so it is done. Then this chick shows up and asks if she can join the Cool Kids on their quest! I guess we don't have a quest anymore, but sure, come along!

(If you restore the tree and haven't managed to get Alysir killed earlier in the questline, you randomly get either her or Alysir himself, who's probably the strongest joinable character in the game. If we'd destroyed the seed, we'd get a pretty mediocre sage. If we'd given the seed to the forces of darkness (not an option for Svarog), we'd have gotten an Orc Matriarch, who's a complete badass.) Instead, we get this chick. This chick is okay.)

Also:

2016-01-13_00159.jpg

We won!

2016-01-13_00160.jpg

The darkness will recede. High Magic will return to the world and its gods. Or, rather, God.

2016-01-13_00161.jpg

For if you recall the third update, we built a shrine to Svarog with obsidian instead of gold, and apparently doing that upended the order of the world! Nay, the universe! Nay, all quantum alternate universes! Svarog becomes pantokrator, ascends to sole rulership of the pantheon, and the future course of the cosmos is dictated by his whims. From the spires of the highest pooptower to the depths of the lowest untraversable water tile, the people bow down and acclaim him as king of big dick mountain.

Until someone else comes along and builds a shrine to their god using poop instead of wood.

THE END

. . . or IS IT?!

This ends the base game. In the time since I started this LP, a free DLC came out that continues the game past this point. I haven't actually played it, and I'm a little fuzzy on how the game is going to provide good challenges after your god conquers the universe, but we can check it out if the thread voices interest.

If you want me to LP the DLC, though, it's probably best if I just start over with another playthrough, and ideally another god. There are apparently a lot of new events in it, and presumably some of them appear in the early game. Moreover, through a combination of unusually good luck and me not wanting to look stupid in front of the esteemed gentlemen of the Codex, our expedition party is absurdly powerful, and we're stronger at turn 150 than is usually possible by turn 300. Becoming overpowered is fun, but continuing to play after you've done that isn't usually that interesting. The game is not really meant to be played without getting any important villagers killed, and the absence of that happening was one of the more unfortunate aspects of this LP. Sorry about being overly competent and letting you all down. :(

Last edited:

tindrli

Arcane
well we really dont really know why the hell you are asking that question in the first place!

start the damn thing now!

lightbane

Arcane
Congrats for finally finishing the main quest! So, the final boss is a snarky World Serpent who's quite self-aware and conscious of his position? Funny thing.
Also, does the expansion/DLc add new ways to have children suffer horrible fates along with the poor villagers who dare to stand near these? The fact that you knew that is one of the reasons why you were so successful.

Kayerts

Arcane
Okay, I skimmed through four months of changelogs. Summary:

* It looks like the tech tree is more of a pain in the ass now. Some techs cost multiple research points, and for the most part, these align with the more useful techs. Our bold champions will languish in the Poop Age for longer before eventually moving into the Wood Age.

* Warriors' hands were buffed. They can now wield two-handed swords single-handedly due to their newly enormous hand size. This makes two-handed swords less shitty (they were previously the worst weapon style in the game) and gives warriors an expanded option to play a shielding-based tank. My experience was that shielding sucks late game, because while it's awesome in concept, the actual numbers for even the best swords and shields are too low to mitigate much damage. It's probably pretty strong in the early game, though.

* Bloodbath mode: you can now go into negative HP, and risk of death begins at negative HP. This is an increased difficulty option, so we'll be playing with it, but I'm not actually certain it will make the game harder.

* Lots of new events.

* Item quality is now a thing. More skilled craftsmen and better catalyst material gives a chance for crafting "good quality" items. The inverse yields bad quality items.

* New quest after end of normal game. Apparently they had to extend the skull rating system for it . . .

And start with new profile, without god bonuses.

I can do this if there's general demand for it, but I'd rather not. Apparently they reworked some of the god bonuses, and I'm kind of curious to see what they are.

Congrats for finally finishing the main quest! So, the final boss is a snarky World Serpent who's quite self-aware and conscious of his position? Funny thing.

Yeah, it's not really clear what his role in the narrative is; he comes out of nowhere and quickly returns to it. He's not really the villain of the story and wasn't the cause of Thea's woes, and he's p. helpful once you defeat him.

Also, does the expansion/DLc add new ways to have children suffer horrible fates along with the poor villagers who dare to stand near these?

I have it on good authority that the expansion contains an event that allows you to force six children to fight each other to the death in gladiatorial combat, so that the winner will learn to be a strong adult. Theans get their parenting skills from a lost copy of the Space Marine Codex Astartes.

GOD CHOICES:

Veles: Keeper of the Underworld. Magic and poison bonuses, fun dude.
Svarog: Keeper of the Advanced Watchtower Pantokrator Not an option
Zorya: Goddess of Stars, Wars, and sometimes lightsabers.
Horos: Lord of the Night and Master of the Moon. Was the most fun to play, pre-DLC.
Mokosh: Earth Mother. Strong, not incredibly interesting.
Morena: Death Goddess, reasonably powerful, doesn't get a lot of events.
Lada: Goddess of the first step on the road to disappointment Hope. Overpowered piece of shit, but has some cool events.
Perun: Zeus knock-off, leader of the pantheon. Intentionally more powerful than all other gods, except maybe Lada.

Skimming the changelog, there aren't really any gods that are weak now, and the less obviously powerful get some events that make them pretty good. Lada and Perun are still a cut above the rest.

lightbane

Arcane
I have it on good authority that the expansion contains an event that allows you to force six children to fight each other to the death in gladiatorial combat, so that the winner will learn to be a strong adult. Theans get their parenting skills from a lost copy of the Space Marine Codex Astartes.

Brutal! It's like by the time the expansion came out, the devs were fully aware of what the players wanted. Anyway, for now I vote for:

Veles>Zorya>Horos

Kayerts

Arcane
Zorya: Goddess of Stars, Wars, and sometimes lightsabers.
I think, her son from lvl 5 bonus can use ANY 2h weapon with one hand. But my Zorya still lvl 4, so i'm not sure.

I checked it out. Looks like you're right! Starlight (the son) spawned with a pitchfork and shield. That seems like it'll be a strong buff early-mid game and a weak-moderate buff to late game. I believe the best fighting shield in the game gives you +12armor/+10 shielding, compared to +2/6 for the worst, so the limited spread hurts the scaling into late game. Still, it's a cool unique bonus. Here's my tier list for characters:

GOD TIER:

Alysir/Elven Wanderers/Lihos: Extremely strong combat / challenge skills, very high magic, and automatic piercing damage means they're better combatants than any other characters can be.

HIGH TIER:

Powerful demons (Baba Yaga, Striga masters/mistresses, werewolves), dwarves, orcs, Starlight and most other divinely-given villagers, goblin bosses, ghosts, lesser elves: extremely high combat skills + either some magic or some extra conventional power

AVERAGE TIER:

Villagers, goblins

LOW TIER:

Most beasts (some are higher if it's still early game), lesser demons

YOU MOTHERFUCKER TIER:

Fat rats

Last edited:

Kayerts

Arcane
Err, we are Svarogs chosen, right? Shouldn't we then take option A?

I'm curious. I want to see both branches. If we can have only one though, go for the dastardly B.

WHAT MIGHT HAVE BEEN:

reason (3).jpg
reason (1).jpg
reason (2).jpg

Key points:

1) Magic withers away.
2) "Elves and orcs are going to be boned by this, but don't worry! Werewolves and Baba Yaga will also die horribly! Yes, I suppose it kind of sucks that you spent all that time recruiting those superhumans, and that they are responsible for almost every success that you had, but I think this comes down to a basic question. Science: do you fucking love it, or don't you?"
3) "Also, this is good for the children. You care about the children, right?"
4) We destroyed all magic, thereby completing the master plan of a bunch of atheistic caricatures who were the main villains of the story--and whose goal, let's not forget, was to cast down all gods. Despite this, we somehow still end up as God-Emperor of Godkind. I guess we can explain this as Svarog establishing himself as Omnissiah of the new Age of Reason, which sort of works because real mythology has Svarog as a god of smiths and crafters. Future generations of men shall grow strong and scale the heavens, inspired by the dreams of the Forge God . . .

voiddragon.jpg

Last edited:

Black

Arcane

Brutal! It's like by the time the expansion came out, the devs were fully aware of what the players wanted.
Not really, that's still how many families raise their children in slav countries.

Kayerts

Arcane
I thought about the god choice a bit. Veles is a cool god, but he gets a powerful sage to start (who will in all likelihood have a pretty good magic score), and all his villagers get +2 magic. So a pretty dominant strat for him is to wander around trying to trigger the "powerful recruit available if you defeat a hex challenge" events. This works and is good, but we already saw this work in the last playthrough, and steamrolling the world with the help of elven wanderers is probably boring.

Gonna coin toss this between lightbane's remaining options. 1 = Zorya, 2 = Horos.

Azira

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Bought this game on discount. Played it for 60 hours already... Now chugging away on the last 3 steam achievements. +M

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom