Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

In the face of the decline, is Bethesda the least declined company?

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
Essentially if you look at what is Daggerfall at core, it's a first person action game where you mash the mouse buttons to attack.
Fast forward 20 years later and you get Skyrim, what is essentially the same formula.
So looking at this logic, wouldn't it be that Bethesda is taking just the next logical step in their gaming development and making Elder Scrolls what they were supposed to be in the first place?

A fantasy player power adventure ?

Self-Ejected

buru5

Very Grumpy Dragon
Patron
No. Bitler. Fuck you. Shitty bait thread.

Daggerfall was the right direction. Huge world, almost endless quests/guilds/etc. Potentially hundreds of hours of exploration and questing. Skyrim is a 40 hour game with a bland overworld, lifeless quests, terribly scripted interactions, and mindless hack/slash action combat.

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
Huge world, almost endless quests/guilds/etc. Potentially hundreds of hours of exploration and questing. Skyrim is a 40 hour game with a bland overworld, lifeless quests, terribly scripted interactions, and mindless hack/slash action combat.

Huge world only because it's procedural - look at No Man's sky

Endless quests - again the same as above, they get repeated over and over again

Potentially hundreds of hours of exploration and questing - same as above

I'm talking about the general formula of the series, the core of what ELder Scrolls is, and it is a first person action game (ok the first ones like Daggerfall and Morrowind had RPG elements, but first person does not realy work with RPG, that is why they are removing them because they see this also)

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
Yes but compared to other companies they are still staying true to their roots.

Skyrim is still essentially the same game as Daggerfall.

What does that matter? All you're saying is that Bethesda was always shit. I only care if a company creates incline.

It might have been shit, but I give credit where credit is due, and they have sticked to their shit.

Look at plenty of other companies who are defunct now and do not exist because they tried to cater to different crowd or change their game totaly and thus went out of the business.

Imagine if BIoware still was making the baldur's gate type game today like Bethesda is making their Elder Scrolls instead of the dragon age derp.

Self-Ejected

buru5

Very Grumpy Dragon
Patron

It might have been shit, but I give credit where credit is due, and they have sticked to their shit.

Look at plenty of other companies who are defunct now and do not exist because they tried to cater to different crowd or change their game totaly and thus went out of the business.
What does that matter? All you're saying is that Bethesda was always shit. I only care if a company creates incline.

Imagine if BIoware still was making the baldur's gate type game today like Bethesda is making their Elder Scrolls instead of the dragon age derp.

Success does not equal incline. Sometimes it does, most of the time it doesn't.

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard

Success does not equal incline. Sometimes it does, most of the time it doesn't.

Sure, but Bethesda time is still to come, Elder Scrolls VI from Todds teasing sounds very ambitious.

Valky

Arcane
Manlet

Why would you give someone credit for being consistently bad? I would praise any company that abandoned popamole and embraced incline.

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
Why would you give someone credit for being consistently bad? I would praise any company that abandoned popamole and embraced incline.

I'm not giving credit for being bad, I'm giving credit to them for sticking to the same type of game for past 20 years.

Whether they will make a good or bad game that is now a different matter.

THere are not many companies like Bethesda left today, the other one is Rockstar for example.

Self-Ejected

buru5

Very Grumpy Dragon
Patron
I'm not giving credit for being bad, I'm giving credit to them for sticking to the same type of game for past 20 years.

By this logic, Bungie is still one of the best developers ever for sticking with FPS games.

Self-Ejected

buru5

Very Grumpy Dragon
Patron

By this logic, Bungie is still one of the best developers ever for sticking with FPS games.

Not realy, Bungie started with MDK which was great, and since first MDK they are declining, Halo is shit.

So? Bethesda's first game was Wayne Gretzky Hockey.

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard

That was without Todd Howard, when Todd joined they started making the elder scrolls.

Elder Scrolls = Todd Howard.

Matalarata

Arcane
Patron
Dude... The huge world in daggerfall is only an excuse to play with the character creator. The huge variability of builds, skills (a lot of which are used in-game, like etiquette to even speak to noble npcs) lets you experience what is fundamentally a shallow world in thousands of different perspectives. Also, character progress, both in skill and equipment was epic. Crafting had depth, certain days of the year influenced the strength of enchantments and if your ubersword of inferno, crafted using the soul of a Demon Prince broke in combat, tough luck, now the demon is free to join the fun!

Daggerfall has timed quests that can fail if you dally around too much, barring you from ever completing the main quest. Consequences for not listening (reading) what you're told.

Daggerfall had ships, carts and meaningful overland travel. It had a truly living world, with guild infight and special days of the year with in-game consequences. I still remember hoarding gold for weeks before a major Mages guild sale.

Morrowind had a fucking book lamenting the loss of passwall, just reflect on that before going on.

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard

The heart and soul of Bethesda, 'The Hero Journey'

320px-Heroesjourney.svg.png

Bethesda are aiming for this, they yet have to make it right, maybe with TES VI ?

Self-Ejected

buru5

Very Grumpy Dragon
Patron

That was without Todd Howard, when Todd joined they started making the elder scrolls.

Elder Scrolls = Todd Howard.

Todd joined while Arena was still in development and had limited input in the game. I believe he was a play tester. Regardless, that's irrelevant to your original point.

mogwaimon

Magister
Essentially if you look at what is Daggerfall at core, it's a first person action game where you mash the mouse buttons to attack.
Fast forward 20 years later and you get Skyrim, what is essentially the same formula.
So looking at this logic, wouldn't it be that Bethesda is taking just the next logical step in their gaming development and making Elder Scrolls what they were supposed to be in the first place?

A fantasy player power adventure ?

Let's not forget that Dragon Age Inquisition was still Real Time with Pause and had a tactical view so it's pretty much the same formula as Baldur's Gate and NWN. Same with Risen 2, that was a third person action RPG just like Gothic 1 and 2 so it was basically the same game right?

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
what is essentially the same formula.
That shit was great and they flushed it straight down the hole. Take a good part and gut it, definition of decline :argh:

Dude... The huge world in daggerfall is only an excuse to play with the character creator. The huge variability of builds, skills (a lot of which are used in-game, like etiquette to even speak to noble npcs) lets you experience what is fundamentally a shallow world in thousands of different perspectives. Also, character progress, both in skill and equipment was epic. Crafting had depth, certain days of the year influenced the strength of enchantments and if your ubersword of inferno, crafted using the soul of a Demon Prince broke in combat, tough luck, now the demon is free to join the fun!

Daggerfall has timed quests that can fail if you dally around too much, barring you from ever completing the main quest. Consequences for not listening (reading) what you're told.

Daggerfall had ships, carts and meaningful overland travel. It had a truly living world, with guild infight and special days of the year with in-game consequences. I still remember hoarding gold for weeks before a major Mages guild sale.

Morrowind had a fucking book lamenting the loss of passwall, just reflect on that before going on.

What you are talking about guys is not the *core* of the game, these elements are more like flavours, a cherry on top.

The *core* of the game, is that it is a first person game where you click on mouse to attack in real time. The rest of the elements that were there that governed dice rolls etc were additional elements.

Once could say that Bethesda is moving closer to the *core* of their game, by removing those elements.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom