Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

[In development] Turn Based CPRG based on HarnWorld

TheOnlyDJCat

Barely Literate
Hi Codex!

As a first time poster I simply start by introducing my current hobby project. After 5 months implementation I want to share a few screens - and have a simple question which is currently blocking the development.
Currently I have a rudimentary sound&music system, 6 animations per character (idle, walk, attack, fell prone, die, stunned), day/night cycle, event system for travelling, turn based melee combat system, terrain generator

I use HarnWorld (and the basic Harnmaster rules) for a start to have a 'working' base, but perhaps I might change this later.
The goal is to allow tactical combat and decisions without having real time stress, and to integrate a realistic (not to start a debate here about the term realistic, I should perhaps say compliant to the expectations of a medieval combat and not to D&D) feeling into the system.
That means no artificial simplifications like hit points, levels, and so on. Therefore HarnMaster was a suitable starting decision.

Now I'm a bit stuck how to integrate the dialog system into the UI.
I have a keyword based system with a set of question tokens to combine with keywords.
So if you get new keyword you can ask
"What about" newKeyword
"Where is" newKeyword
"Who knows" newKeyword
Additionally you should be able to just ask for rumors, a greeting, and can click on answers, if you are asked something.

The three designs I thought about are
1. Add all options in a fixed action panel where you have a selected dialog partner and click on the keywords (or drag them on top the NPC)
2. Make a comic style dialog, so every NPC has a UI element connected to it to display the answer text, where you directly click on highlighted keywords to ask for them
3. Make a standard dialog window somewhere on the screen to do the stuff

The 3 implementations so far:

What would you prefer in such kind of a game?
And what do you thing of the current state of development?

Wayward Son

Fails to keep valuable team members alive
You could try implementation 2, but with typing in the keywords, unless you feel that typing it would clash with something else...

TheOnlyDJCat

Barely Literate
Grrrrmbll CRPG...
Forgot to enable AntiAliasing for the screenshots - my bad :( But thanks for the reminder!

Severian Silk

It's a CPRG role-playing game, you fool!

The game looks better than AoD, at least.

Severian Silk

It's a CPRG role-playing game, you fool!

The game looks better than AoD, at least.

:nocountryforshitposters:
zZmDeNV.png

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom