Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Improving Skyrim / Recommended Mods thread (Mostly about Requiem)

The imperials wants to keep Skyrim subject to the Empire, and the Stormcloaks want to make Skyrim independent. Not sure how you could fight against both. Staying neutral doesn't count.

(the Thalmor want to destroy everything, to ascend to a higher plane of existence, but I don't think that counts as a valid third option either)

Lhynn

Arcane
Well, wish you could just kill ulfric and get someone sensible to take his place.

Utgard-Loki

Arcane
ulfric is pretty sensible. keeping shekel and nigger mer scum down is metaphysically important. *intellectshun*

hell bovine

Arcane
Are there any GOOD mods that allow me to join a faction that's AGAINST the only two in the vanilla game? I lost interest in Skyrim when I felt forced to either join the Imperials or those other belligerent fascist bastards, the Northerners or whatever they were called.

Or you can ignore them; you don't have to join a side to get to kill the Big Bad. The vast majority of Skyrim citizens doesn't seem to really care about this supposed war, either.
Anyone tried the Civil War Overhaul? Heard it's buggy, but the idea sounds interesting.

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
The imperials wants to keep Skyrim subject to the Empire, and the Stormcloaks want to make Skyrim independent. Not sure how you could fight against both. Staying neutral doesn't count.

(the Thalmor want to destroy everything, to ascend to a higher plane of existence, but I don't think that counts as a valid third option either)
Real life shows that there's plenty of room for multiple rebel factions, with different ideas of how and by whom the country should be governed after the war is over. Just in Syria there are 3-4 major rebel groups, and a ton of minor ones.

Jack Of Owls

Arcane

Allrighty, then I'll settle for a steampunk mod where a secret society of high technology nerds surreptitiously pits The Imperials against the Stormcloaks, where they then destroy each other, then my secret society rises up amidst the ruins, and rules da werld, Overlords of All We Survey! But first, we must destroy the status quo, my fellow steampunk anarchist geek-bros! RISE! I just HATE those fucking Imperials and the fascist Stormcloaks. Anyway, thanks, boys, for the tip that I don't have to join a faction to win the game. I did not know that.

Prints

Barely Literate
Thanks for all the tips here. I just reinstalled Skyrim and am looking forward to a difficult playthrough with great graphics. The more difficult the better.

Requiem 1.8 released

PredatorSkyrim7.jpg

^not you

It is not backwards compatible, so it will require a new save.

The reddit board has useful info. Still no proper changelog, but you can find a preview here. One of the noteworthy changes that doesn't seem to be listed yet is reduced arrow damage. Also, battlemages are more viable.

You are now able to properly roleplay your seminude anime chick

As a reminder, the guy that does the compatibility patches (Azirok) moved his stuff into a single page, here. He'll have to fix some of them for 1.8, but he's pretty fast at updating.

EDIT: Correction about the arrow damage.

Hate the new bow changes, might as well just take them out of the game. If what you where trying to acheive was nerf them into the ground than you did it.

Arrow damage has increased dramatically. Where before arrows scaled as weapons did (x4), they're now independently adjusted, each doing 5-6x vanilla damage.

Bows are slower. This is the significant change. Bows do less damage. Generally speaking, their arrows do more additional damage than the bows lost.

bonus unrelated post:

Why is every single NPC in Whiterun standing in place... Guards not patrolling, children not running around town... Not a single NPC is moving they are just standing there like trees... It's actually creepy :o!

:what:

Last edited:

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
So I finally finished the main quest this summer. Say what you want about Skyrim and it's flaws, at least there's a ton of content. I played perhaps 40-50 hours and didn't finish Civil War or Dark Brotherhood or Thieve's Guild or Companions quest lines - just got some good weapons and gear and then focused on the main quest to kill the big bad dragon. The final part in Skyrim Valhalla was pretty cool. Too bad I was level 69 by then and double fireballing the dragon was ridiculously easy with the three NPC's acting as meat shields.

With proper mods, it is somewhat challenging (I used SkyRE not Requem) and can be quite immersive, so I was entertained. Too bad the one big flaw cannot ever be solved: that the region is far too small. Even with fast travel disabled and with Frostfall and Realistic Needs and Diseases, walking from one end to the other is pretty quick and not that dangerous, though reaching that mad man in the ice cave far to the north was a nice challenge. Kinda the same thing as with Shadowrun Returns - it's entertaining and there's bunch of good stuff, but it only makes you realize the glaring flaws.

mastroego

Arcane
With proper mods, it is somewhat challenging (I used SkyRE not Requem) and can be quite immersive, so I was entertained. Too bad the one big flaw cannot ever be solved: that the region is far too small. Even with fast travel disabled and with Frostfall and Realistic Needs and Diseases, walking from one end to the other is pretty quick and not that dangerous, though reaching that mad man in the ice cave far to the north was a nice challenge. Kinda the same thing as with Shadowrun Returns - it's entertaining and there's bunch of good stuff, but it only makes you realize the glaring flaws.

I use a "finely adjusted" combination of mods instead of a overhaul, AND I use a deleveler (ASIS Encounter Zone).
I'm level 38 right now so you'd think I should be already quite powerful and ready for most areas.
Well, I am and I'm not.
I play as a sneaky archer, and if I can play to my strenghts, I can overcome pretty much any foe.
BUT, if I'm surrounded (with all the staggering that this involves, having Deadly Combat installed) or otherwise caught unprepared, I can fall pretty easily still.
An average bandit who manages a full swing with a double-handed ax hitting me squarely will insta-kill me. High level archers can sometimes insta-kill me too.
And if you think about it, these would be reasonable outcomes in RL.

Overall, I must say that modded Skyrim has so far provided me the most "realistic" combat simulation I've ever experienced.
Warts and all, of course: it's still clunky, buggy Skyrim.

Ivan

Arcane
Never played a scrolls game, should I start w/ Skyrim? Morrowind's graph-x are pissing on my face. Reminds me of Ocarina of Time shit.

Ivan

Arcane
Da fuck are you saying? I barely made it out of the prison and everything looked like plastic. Fuck that shit. Think ima go Skyrim>Morrowind

subotaiy

Cipher
Da fuck are you saying? I barely made it out of the prison and everything looked like plastic. Fuck that shit. Think ima go Skyrim>Morrowind
Just trying to cure you of the desire to play this shitty and overated series. But honestly speaking, Skyrim seems the perfect game for you.

Avellion

Erudite
New Requiem version is out?

I guess it is time for me to play skyrim again.
ulfric is pretty sensible. keeping shekel and nigger mer scum down is metaphysically important. *intellectshun*
Problem is, Ulfric's actions is exactly what the Thalmor wants. He will weaken the empire (and the take the nords with him), then when both are weakened from the fighting between them, the Thalmor will take and destroy what remains.

Ulfric is nothing but a conquest driven tool, who will drive Tamriel to the ground.

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
Overall, I must say that modded Skyrim has so far provided me the most "realistic" combat simulation I've ever experienced.

This guy hasn't played Warband or Chivalry. Also, Dark Souls and Blade of Darkness combat might not be "realistic", but they're superior to the clunky floaty massive-hitbox garbage Skyrim serves up, modded or not.

Utgard-Loki

Arcane
the thalmor can't do anything, though. one of the dossier specially mention to prevent a stormcloak victory, since talos worship is kinda more important than having a big army. because of talos worship wonderful things, such as existing at all, are possible. the thalmor are also really, really bad at open warfare since the majority of their grunts are basically unwilling slaves and they themselves are heavily into eugenics, which is always a good idea when you need manpower. so their plan boils down to "let's hope they kill each other". it's really sad when i think about all this, sinc ethe answer to all these question should have been answered in the game, but instead we got to wait until the new game comes out, and in typical neo bethesda fashion they will make it banal shit boring.

'Tiber Septim couldn't have become a god, mortals can't do that'. We know that ain't true (hey Wulf), but wouldn't a number of Imperial Cult scholars be calling potential bullshit on that anyway? Depending on the origin story, one or two other gods have somewhat similar origin stories. I know some would stay silent out of fear of the Thalmor, but...

AN4RCHID

Arcane
Thanks for all the tips guys. I gave in a bought the DLC off Steam and I'm going to try polishing this turd over the weekend.

This is my planned list so far. My GPU is a potato so I'll probably drop some of these if they're too demanding. I'm basically going for a realistic sim-y experience with better leveling than vanilla Skyrim. I want to keep fan-made content to a minimum so I'm leaving out stuff like Immersive Armour.

Gamplay:
Requiem
Civil War Overhaul
Even Better Quest Objectives
Convenient Horses
Dragon Combat Overhaul
No More Mine Pests

UI:
SkyUI
Immersive HUD - iHUD
Warburgs 3D Paper World Map
Skyrim - Enhanced Camera (body visible in 1st person)

Hiking Simulator:
Frostfall - Hypothermia Camping Survival
Realistic Needs and Diseases
Requiem - RND - Frostfall AiO Patch
Wet and Cold
Wet and Cold - Ashes
Real Shelter
Cloaks of Skyrim
Better Fast Travel - Carriages and Ships - Overhauled

Mah Immershun:
Trade Routes
Immersive Patrols
Bring Out Your Dead
ASIS
Drinking Fountains of Skyrim

NPCs:
Interesting NPCs
Inconsequential NPCs
Immersive NPC in the dark
Run For Your Lives
When Vampires Attack

Sights and Sounds:
Realistic Lighting Overhaul
Destructible bottles Extended
Filled Pots
Icebreakers Improved Reverb
IHSS - Improved Horse Step Sounds
Improved Combat Sounds
Improved Fire Salts
Improved Frost Salts
Improved Glow Dust
Point the Way
Proper Length Arrows
Detailed Faces v2

Nature:
Climates Of Tamriel - Weather - Lighting - Audio
WATER - Water And Terrain Enhancement Redux
Flora Overhaul
Birds of Skyrim
SkyTEST - Realistic Animals and Predators
Roosters At Dawn
Ambient Seagulls
Clams Drop Pearls
Truly Harvest Antlers

Fun:
Killable Children
Deadly Mutilation - dismemberment blood and gore
Requiem and Deadly Mutilation Compatibility Fix
Enhanced Blood Textures
The Dance of Death
UNP

Anything I should add or remove?

What is the consensus on the Civil War Overhaul? It looks awesome but I don't see it on people's lists. Is it worth it and does it work with Requiem?

What are the advantages/disadvantages of Pure Weather and Climates of Tamriel?

Does Frostfall make stuff like iNeed and RNaD obsolete?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom