Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Improving Skyrim / Recommended Mods thread (Mostly about Requiem)

This is necessary: http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mod...m/ajax/moddescription/?id=8246&preview=&pUp=1

Although I imagine something similar is already included in some of the gameplay overhauls, Skyrim's armor system is such complete shit. The cap is easy to reach with a little grinding, but I guess the crafting system is broken in general, a mod that implemented a DT system would also be pretty cool.

AW8

Arcane
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
AW8
Oh, my. What a shame that this gem will never see the light of day. I guess we'll just have to get by without skeletons ridiculously hanging from nooses.

HAHA!! :lol: Yeah, that looks silly. After the horse thief's hanging last year, no one bothered to remove him.

This is necessary: http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/8246/?tab=1&navtag=http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/ajax/moddescription/?id=8246&preview=&pUp=1

Although I imagine something similar is already included in some of the gameplay overhauls, Skyrim's armor system is such complete shit. The cap is easy to reach with a little grinding, but I guess the crafting system is broken in general, a mod that implemented a DT system would also be pretty cool.
Yeah, I think Skyrim would gain a lot more from a Damage Threshold system than it would from increasing the Damage Reduction cap to 93%(!).

Eyeball

Arcane
A meatless skeleton hanging from a noose is silly indeed, but it was customary to keep criminals hanging around until they rotted away as a means of putting the fear of God into other lawbreakers.

Specs54

Novice
I want to recommend this mod: http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/8865/?

Adds remastered Daggerfall music to Skyrim. The dungeon themes in particular are badasstastical.

Interestingly the mod page mentions something called "personalized music"... I'll give it a try.
http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/13286/

Just to note, the mod contains duplicate songs, despite the file description. If you do decide to go the Personalized route, you might find this link handy:

http://teatimecoder.com/daggerfall-music

Several quality remakes of the soundtrack there. As an alternative, you could also just download the recreations pack(315mb) here:
http://webucko.myftp.org/lars/daggerfall/

Contains 2 of the more extensive authors in the previous link, and between them you practically have the whole soundtrack redone, although it can be a bit tedious converting the audio from ogg-mp3-skyrim audio and then renaming for Personalized. Latter link also contains midis from the original game if you're interested.

Grinolf

Arcane
So I decided to start a proper game with Skyrim, since it looks like about right time for mods to mature and for most bugs to be fixed. I started to dig in the mods, but it looks like I need to spend at least a week on that before I would actually play the game. From overhaul mods Skyre looks more preferable to me than Requirem since I expect from TES games more freedom and mostly casual experience. And it seems that SkyRe with combination of some other mods could also reduce level scaling, and removing of level scaliing is the mainselling point for me in Requirem. Also Skyre looks more flexible with dealing with other mods. So I stick with it for the time being.
Other mods, that look like must have are SkyUI, SMIM, Frostfall, Apocalypse and few ones that focus on improving dragons. Aside from that, which mods I should check? Also are there some good mods package that both cover improvements in all aspects of the game and verified that each mod from it compatible with every other there?

Last edited:

Utgard-Loki

Arcane
i'd recommend one of the dragon overhauls since skyre doesn't touch them afaik. i myself run with deadly dragons because the a same old frost/fire stuff got boring.

AW8

Arcane
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
A meatless skeleton hanging from a noose is silly indeed, but it was customary to keep criminals hanging around until they rotted away as a means of putting the fear of God into other lawbreakers.
He doesn't seem to hang around in such a visible location though, and would this gallows really see no use in a year or however long it takes for the body to decay? :)

DraQ

Arcane
So I decided to start a proper game with Skyrim, since it looks like about right time for mods to mature and for most bugs to be fixed. I started to dig in the mods, but it looks like I need to spend at least a week on that before I would actually play the game. From overhaul mods Skyre looks more preferable to me than Requirem since I expect from TES games more freedom and mostly casual experience.
Actually, less freedom was one of the things that dissuaded me from keeping using SkyRe. I mean mechanical freedom, not "go wherever you want" level scaled freedom - I got pissed about arbitrary inability to raise non-humanoid corpses in SkyRe.
There is a lot of arbitrary shit in SkyRe in general, whereas Requiem's worst failings are some derpility written text, invisible entities coming without appreciable warning and possibly one count of getting potentially locked up with OP enemies.

Also Skyre looks more flexible with dealing with other mods. So I stick with it for the time being.
Well, it does less so it touches less things, so there are less opportunities for incompatibilities. OTOH finding one mod doing all you need the way you want (should you be so lucky) beats installing a whole bunch of mods that may conflict or undermine one another.
For example Requiem doesn't need Apocalypse, because it adds great variety of fun and diverse spells and doesn't require scaling remover because it removes scaling on its own.

As for the dragons I recommend Mighty Dragons which replaces generic ones with a large number of named ones, with unique textures, abilities and fighting style.

Drax

Arcane
Although if he was looking for a "Skyrim+" experience, SkyRe may be preferable, as it doesn't change vanilla that much, while improving quite a bit.
Requiem is a much more involved overhaul.
I agree on the magic though.

DraQ

Arcane
Although if he was looking for a "Skyrim+" experience, SkyRe may be preferable, as it doesn't change vanilla that much, while improving quite a bit.
Actually I'd say SkyRe is more prone to change stuff around for no apparent reason - like limiting necromancy, or trying to change illusion/restoration into D&D illusion/divine magic.

Requiem is more fitting if you just seek Skyrim on steroids (although it's also named Bubba and you'll be unlucky to be locked up in one cell with him).

Drax

Arcane
That may be true, but I remember my SkyRe playthrough being more "vanilla" than my later Requiem one. I don't know how both mods evolved since I played them quite a time ago.

Grinolf

Arcane
Actually, less freedom was one of the things that dissuaded me from keeping using SkyRe. I mean mechanical freedom, not "go wherever you want" level scaled freedom
I was refering to character development. From what it looks like, Requirem require player right in the begining to choose his playstyle and stick with it for the rest of the game. It is good for most other games, but from TES games I want more flexibility in that matter, so when I would be bored with my current character or simply launch my game after a year of a break with different state of mind, I could try with him something new for the expense of some time and gold instead of creating completely new character. Well, I am speaking at least about decent TES games, since Oblivion also forced character development to be very straightforward by taking it's level scaling to retarded levels.
Concerning "go wherever you want", there is actually a nice looking feature or in ScyRE or in some other mod, that establish minimal levels for the area,which with right implementation should make level scaling there tolerable.
As for the dragons I recommend Mighty Dragons which replaces generic ones with a large number of named ones, with unique textures, abilities and fighting style.
Aren't all three dragons mods compatible with each other? Because I planned to install all of them.
Aside from dragondsmost decent mods, that I find, are about improving graphic and sounds or patching and tweaking the game, and only Realistic Needs and Diseases and Frostfall, that change actual gameplay. There is still thing called Falskaar, that getting praised everywhere, but I am somewhat sceptical about fan created content and praises of it by some other fans. Still I think it wouldn't hurt to check it later.

Since Requiem removes scaling, you'll eventually become strong enough that you can afford to fuck around with skills, usually around level 25-30. Probably earlier if you are a fan of the crafting skills.

I think Dragon Combat Overhaul, Mighty Dragons and Deadly Dragons are all compatible with each other, at least the first one is compatible with anything and the other two have compatibility patches available.

Delterius

Arcane
I have discovered something truly disturbing. Something that shattered all of my belief in humankind. Something that can, too, utterly devastate everything you stand for. Question is: is it for the best? Dare thee click on the spoiler buttons?!
CobQXcq.png
The ancient mafagafans were truly wise.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
bows do nothing to Spriggans. I probably need a flame enchanted 2 hander to burn this fucker down.

Delterius

Arcane
Though bows have obvious uses one I found is as a puller tool, you can easily engage just a few members of a draugr horde if you perform hit and run tactics from really far away. That's pretty much how I just cleared the last room of the Bleak Falls Barrow at level 4.

Delterius

Arcane
Or you could just use a fire-enchanted bow for spriggans, and silver arrows for draugr. :M
Here's the thing, I never really got too far into Requiem. So this time I went into Bleak Falls Barrow without any sort of preparation just for the lulz and it turns out that pulling the draugr with an arrow from afar and then luring them into fighting a summoned Ghost Wolf while I wacked them repeatedly with an orcish dagger was more than enough to finish the dungeon at levels 3-4. From what people were talking in this thread it sounded like the place was impossible (and filling the last room with 10 draugrs was a really assholish thing to do), but I guess being an exploitative asshole seems to be enough.

Now, holy fucking shit, what just happened was kind of insane. And also what I get for playing without sound.

Still at the beginning of the game: there I was with Lydia going for that bandit camp directly northwest of Whiterun (Halted Stream Camp, the one with a palisade and the spike pit at the end). Things are going pretty smoothly, 2 bandits down and a third was coming after me. So I do my little routine of quickly turn around, running for a second and summoning the Ghost Wolf.

Lo and Behold - a troll and a saber cat jump out of nowhere, both after me. They meet with the bandit and the three start killing each other. This being Requiem, obviously, the troll survived. So I tried luring him into the spike pit. He fell into it and proceeded to enter the cave. I'm really scared of taking this bounty all of a sudden.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom