Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Improving Skyrim / Recommended Mods thread (Mostly about Requiem)

Lancehead

Liturgist
My points on alteration stands. Picking a magic school just for some passives is kind of underwhelming. I believe it's +7% per level of the resistance perk, by the way, as I had +21 when I checked on my buff screen.
This I agree with, because unlike in Morrowind, there isn't much environmental manipulation to do in Skyrim. Conjuration and Illusion are the best schools when it comes to active gameplay, but my point was that Alteration is powerful enough.

How good is Stealth in Requiem? Can you still roll through dungeons undetected in plain sight as in vanilla?
It's better: the AI is a little more alert, they search for longer periods, sneaking in open is risky even at night, levelling up is slower, and the perks are more interesting. But it doesn't fundamentally change the AI, so whatever exploits you had before probably still work, but with smaller margins of error.

yes plz

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Gonna be doing a fresh install and new playthrough and I was thinking of using SkyRe this time around. Any suggestions for mods that compliment it well?

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
Is Smithing even useful for an archer beyond for the ability to craft bolts?
Got a Atronach forge recipe for Daedric Greatsword - Tempting to craft.
But reading the Daedric script is pretty lame.
I think I need Ebony Greatsword, Daedric Heart, Grand Soul Gem and uh... Dwemer Centurion Core. (Hnnngh)

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Now, I put some more hours into playing with Requiem.
Seems I've chosen the hardest path there is. Again. I'm making a habit out of that it seems (also playing an Adept in SRR - while still easy, it is the hardest path).

Playing a thief is really quite hard because both the game and the mod throw some rather heavy stones in your way. Literally. Normally you have your packing mule aka follower with you to play tank and carry your stuff. But as a character who relies on stealth, this just sucks. Your follower will constantly alert enemies because he/she/it cannot into sneaking (I already installed a mod that prevents them from attacking while sneaking).
So you either have to live with leveling sneaking VERY slow (as you are constantly detected) or with having to run back and forth constantly to sell your stuff and make most encounters even harder as you lack a tank. I guess the second approach would make the game impossible to play until the very end. By now I have a bag of holding and am skilled enough to kill anything humanoid, even in hordes (orcs, elves, humans...), and animals, so I let my tank wait outside if I know I'm up against those.

But there are still some monsters that just freak me out. How the fuck do you kill Spriggans without Nettlebane? They regenerate so ridiculously fast that I just cannot deal enough damage. At least that was when I was still under level 20. Haven't encountered any since so I don't know if that still holds true.
I also have no idea how I should kill frost atronarchs or dwarven centurions. They are impenetrable and I'm not a spellslinger. They kill my tank (Lydia) in seconds. Now, if you are in a dungeon with traps, you can just lure those things in a trap and be done with it (same with draugr witout silver weapons). But if there are no traps present... I have no idea.
And dragons? I haven't tried it out, but killing dragons with daggers was pretty impossible in vanilla. Guess it is even worse with Requiem and I'll just have to carry a shitload of arrows when I go hunting dragons.

But for all the bad there is, lockpicking and pickpocketing is a really nice way to gain some levels and loot. Also, poisons rock (was able to beat Mercer by hitting him once, then run away from his one-hit-kills).

I also like that you can disable some of the most annoying things in the mod (gold weight, arrow weight, no quick travel, poison visual effect, etc.). Then again, the biggest flaw cannot be turned off, bow damage. I can survive (multiple) hits by dwarven spheres charging me, but a single arrow by a lvl 1 bandit puts me out of my misery. Yeah, right. You can scale down the damage, but that scales all of the damage, not just bows.
I cannot deny that it adds to the gameplay that you cannot simply shrug arrows off like in vanilla, but have to be more tactical. But it is just too much, and too ridiculous.

Overall, I would still recommend the mod, the gains outweight the flaws. And many flaws can be disabled in the menu.

Last edited:

RK47

Patron
I'm on Wood Elf and their Cannibal trait made it real easy to keep momentum as an archer. Not to mention the +15 starting Archery and +15% Skill gains. Archery 50, Vigilant Crossbow. Improved Rate of Fire, chok chok chok chok.
Poisons made easy work of most encounters. I suggest not to focus on daggers if you play thief. 40ish Alchemy Decay dealing 360 dmg with Affliction popping 60-70 dmg.
Improved Poisoning for double dosage made backstabs very silly - since you can just plant arrows without risking a lot.

Perkel

Arcane
Playing requiem is like playing older games. Remember when you had to actually choose what to do ? I mean you are playing a thief not a assasin

Thief should be invisible, steal stuff, explore spaces.

Thus sneak, lockpicking, pickpocketing, light armour, archery.

I RP thief as thief. I did not choose to explore dungeons and fight. I sneak around it, look for valuables and if there is too much enemies i simply did not choose to continue unless i find better solution.
Also i doubt any normal thief would fight a dragon in first place.

So lplaying Requiem is all about RP not playing Skyrim as intended by devs.

Assasin type is other type Bows + alchemy+ sneak you know the drill.

Naturally it would be fucking lovely if betsheda devs wouldn't tie quest to mostly kill XXX and fighting in cage

Lancehead

Liturgist
Is Smithing even useful for an archer beyond for the ability to craft bolts?
You do get quite a bit of damage bonus from tempering, but Smithing is best used with Enchanting.

Playing a thief is really quite hard because both the game and the mod throw some rather heavy stones in your way. Literally. Normally you have your packing mule aka follower with you to play tank and carry your stuff. But as a character who relies on stealth, this just sucks. Your follower will constantly alert enemies because he/she/it cannot into sneaking (I already installed a mod that prevents them from attacking while sneaking).
So you either have to live with leveling sneaking VERY slow (as you are constantly detected) or with having to run back and forth constantly to sell your stuff and make most encounters even harder as you lack a tank. I guess the second approach would make the game impossible to play until the very end. By now I have a bag of holding and am skilled enough to kill anything humanoid, even in hordes (orcs, elves, humans...), and animals, so I let my tank wait outside if I know I'm up against those.
You shouldn't need a follower when playing a thief. You can get rich so easily as a thief that bringing a follower for loot is excessive. If you're bringing them along for tanking, then you're playing the build sub-optimally.

How the fuck do you kill Spriggans without Nettlebane?
Fire-enchanted weapons, fire breath shout, or spike damage. If you're good with Alchemy, there's some elemental stuff there that can help.

frost atronarchs
More or less the same as above. Frost atronach encounters are pretty rare, though; lot rarer than fire and storm atronach encounters. The latter give much bigger headache to thieves.

dwarven centurions
I generally avoid fighting them at all. If I must, then I retreat to a narrow place where these giants can't reach, and pelt away with shock-enchanted bow and arrows. You still need pretty powerful shock enchantments. Crossbow and bolts are obviously be better, especially if you can get 50% armour penetration.

And dragons? I haven't tried it out, but killing dragons with daggers was pretty impossible in vanilla. Guess it is even worse with Requiem and I'll just have to carry a shitload of arrows when I go hunting dragons.
You will need the final perk in Sneak to remain undetected from dragons. In most cases, you can actually sneak up behind them get an initial dagger sneak attack.

I can survive (multiple) hits by dwarven spheres charging me, but a single arrow by a lvl 1 bandit puts me out of my misery.
That sounds like an error.

Gord

Arcane
I can survive (multiple) hits by dwarven spheres charging me, but a single arrow by a lvl 1 bandit puts me out of my misery.
That sounds like an error.

Sounds like Requiem. Archery balancing is retarded.
Sure, you can get to the point were you can avoid most arrows relatively easily by taking cover or sidestepping, but it still makes archers somewhat ridiculous.

Lancehead

Liturgist
I was referring to surviving multiple dwemer sphere bolts but not an arrow from a level 1 bandit. My experience is not that at all.

Gord

Arcane
I thought he was referring to melee attacks by Dwarven Spheres.

Last edited:

RK47

Patron
huh i prefer no music at all.
but we'll see.

AW8

Arcane
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/51633/?

I saw this mod when it was released and chuckled over the usage of the words "immersive" (which can mean whatever you want it to) and "lore-friendly" (which means "doesn't add lightsabers") - yeah, because adding a castle that's bigger than the ones in Solitude and Windhelm and making up a new Jarldom in a shitty small village is lore-friendly.

Anyway, the modder is appararently quitting:

It is with great sadness that I come to you to announce, that I will be leaving my activities as a modder. The reason for this decision is because I wrote Bethesda asking for permission to have other companies sponsor my new projects. Sense I have about 2.5 million views on my projects and with other companies brands on my projects would keep my work at no cost to you and allow me to continue my modding full time as it has been. However, Bethesda denied permission because I use creation kit. For this reason, I am stopping my current project, that would have been a whole new game world, called "Feudal Age". I had already began working on it, you may see Images Here

So, because of this, I can not put forth over a year and a half of hard work and not receive anything for it. I have never asked for any money for any of my projects but it has become hard when you have bills to pay and a family. Especially when I love working on these projects.
How fucking stupid can you be, using the Creation Kit and expecting Bethesda to allow you making money of it? Now that's naive.

Also begging.

I have received some donations but only about 0.01% of the total downloads. If only 2 or 3% of the people that downloaded had made a donation, it would have been enough. I know that number seems small and it is, but virtue of gratitude is not very popular in this world.

I hope that the people of this community are more generous with other modders. They are mostly generous and are good people that share their hard work to make you happy. Because of the generosity of the modders, this community works. Please learn to say thank you and try to demand less from the modder. They can only work and answer so fast and for free no less with a PM box full everyday of inquires and demands. Also, understand that, only through generosity, gratitude and helping others will we have a better world to live in and everyone can gain from this.
You don't make mods for payment, you fool, no matter how many hours you sink into it. Well, unless you hope to make an incredibly popular Source mod and gets recruited by Valve of course.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom