Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Improving Skyrim / Recommended Mods thread (Mostly about Requiem)

Black Cat

Magister
Edit:

Oh, wow, I just posted the same video the guy before did. :roll:

Great minds think alike.

IlkuWarrior

Liturgist
Ulminati said:
http://www.skyrimnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=123

This one actually worked :thumbsup:

Allowed me to go from high to ultra with decent frame rate intact on my aging 2.8ghz dual core cpu and GeForce 9600GT

It's not compatible with all the FXAA post process injectors though.

Hey, what's the name of this mod, since the link is giving me an error?

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
its the d3d9.dll fix. I think it's the same one used in other Gamebryo games.

The author apparently got banned from nexus, but shouldn't be too hard to find it somewhere else, it's just a single .dll file.

Luzur

Good Sir
...guys, how come i cant see waterfalls ingame (can see them fine while underwater...)???

also sound is going either super high or barely hearable.

Phelot

Arcane
Does anyone know of a fix for the freezing for a few seconds every once in awhile when outside? When I get home, I'll try one of these performance fixers.

IlkuWarrior

Liturgist
villain of the story said:
Its name was "Skyrim Better Performance" by a Meritus. Lucky you that I keep an organised archive of all files I download. Here you go + Mirror.

Includes all the files it had on nexus page. It improved my game by 10-15 FPS (ATI user here).

Thank you, good sir! :salute:

Cowboy Moment

Arcane
the above said:
Does anyone know of a fix for the freezing for a few seconds every once in awhile when outside? When I get home, I'll try one of these performance fixers.

I'm assuming you're running Windows XP.Last time I checked, there were two fixes:

1. There's an ENBSeries dll for Skyrim which fixes it without a significant performance hit. It can cause other problems though.

2. Run TESV.exe in Win98/ME compatibility mode, then alt+ctrl+del and set the affinity of the TESV process to all of your processor cores. This is what I'm currently using, and there doesn't appear to be any difference in performance. Plus, I can use a different custom D3D dll to make the game prettier.

If you're not on Windows XP, no idea. Apparently like 10 different things can cause it.

Phelot

Arcane
Cowboy Moment said:
the above said:

I'm assuming you're running Windows XP.Last time I checked, there were two fixes:

1. There's an ENBSeries dll for Skyrim which fixes it without a significant performance hit. It can cause other problems though.

2. Run TESV.exe in Win98/ME compatibility mode, then alt+ctrl+del and set the affinity of the TESV process to all of your processor cores. This is what I'm currently using, and there doesn't appear to be any difference in performance. Plus, I can use a different custom D3D dll to make the game prettier.

If you're not on Windows XP, no idea. Apparently like 10 different things can cause it.

:salute: Thank you, I will try out #2 later.

Luzur said:
...guys, how come i cant see waterfalls ingame (can see them fine while underwater...)???

also sound is going either super high or barely hearable.

Bethesda doesn't port properly, so go into your PC control panel specially for Skyrim and go to general sound options, right click your main sound device, properties and check the 'loudness equalization' enhancement. It normalises volumes for all your apps, but I don't know about the impact on quality. And this is the solution I know for Windows, other platforms idk.

Also, those with micro-stutters and performance generally worse than what your rig should be able to handle, do this:

Open your Skyrim.ini

Under the [General] heading, add
uExterior Cell Buffer=64 (default is 36)
uGridsToLoad=7 (default is 5)
iPreloadSizeLimit=262144000 (idk the default)

The Exterior Cell Buffer value will increase load times by a little, but moving around, especially overland, will be much smoother. And 64 appears to be a practical value for those using GridsToLoad 5 or 7. The formula for ECB should be (X+1)^2, hence 64 is required buffer for GTL 7, but it doesn't hurt to have 64 even for GTL 5.

GridsToLoad increases the distance where objects/terrain/placeables are considered for LOD, so increasing it increases general prettiness with a proportional hit on FPS. Increasing it to 7 with a change to the mentioned ECB should be fine. Otherwise, let it remain at 5. Reducing it might cause instability.

iPreloadSizeLimit has something to do with how much the game can access your memory so set it at 262144000 (bytes) at 2/4gb of RAM, any higher causes instability. Even if you don't have 2/4gb of RAM, it's an upper limit so it won't cause any troubles, it just allows your RAM to be fully used.

The default values were figured out by some other people who went to investigate this shit, so don't expect these values to be found in your Skyrim.ini. Adding these lines will change the default values, however.

If you want to semi-permanently change the FoV you can also add the line

fdefaultfov=X

under the same [General] heading.

Hope this helps some of you!

King Crispy

Too bad I have no queen.
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
Make sure to back up your savegames before modifying any of the grids/cells settings, however. I've read that increasing them, then saving the game, then decreasing the values for some reason later on with corrupt that save game.

Open GTL 7 (for e.g) savegame
Open console
Type:
setini "ugridstoload:general" 5
saveini
refreshini
Save the game again.

Thanks Crispy for bringing it up, slipped my mind to include the reverting workaround.

King Crispy

Too bad I have no queen.
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
No, thank you. You probably just prevented some serious rage from our prestigious collection of dedicated Skyrim fans around here.

Majestic47

Learned
Angelo85 said:
If anyone else is interested in the change of pace of which you learn Skills, a new mod just popped up: Change Your Skill Gain. You can choose between 1/4, 1/2, x2 and x4.

Eh, it doesn't slow down the right skills and speed up the right ones. Kinda not what I want.

Still looking for the following mods, if any:
1. Blacksmith refine items for you - you pay service charge and provide the ingots.
2. Enchanters enchant stuff for you - seriously, it makes no sense for my Nord Warrior to do all this by himself and leveling from it.
3. Full scale dragon assault - Make dragons attack in pairs or trio. It's kinda boring and non threat at the moment...Although when they appeared in that small starter town after I visited the inn was cool.
4. Guns - Rifles, Pistols. I really want them. :( Pulling back bow-strings are too slow for dragon fights.

There are a bunch of retex mods out already, including better wooden surfaces (the current one is quite horrendous), flora, rocks, boulders, water, etc. etc. But I'm lazy to keep trap of all these small changes I've made and rather wait for a texture pack that will inevitably come.

But I'm definitely looking out for a distant LOD retex now. Those that changes how those unloaded grids look.

Gerrard

Arcane
Using the "saveini" command doesn't seem to be a very good idea, seeing how it will fill your ini file with outdated or outright not working entries.

I think the lighting in main menu/loading screens becoming red should be a good indication.

God damn Bethesda laziness. Okay I guess the console commands has alot of artifacts from past games. If you did the saveini to revert the savegame and are getting the red tint in certain menus/screens, delete your Skyrim.ini and load the game once more. All your custom settings will be gone! But hey at least your savegame is rescued.

Those that can't be fucked to deal with these issues can just wait for a patch or something I guess. Seriously though the console commands are for dev troubleshooting it's pretty fucked they left it in a mess. And also are they still sticking with the 'we are using a brand new engine' PR talk? Zzz.

Sorry guys.

Gord

Arcane
I have posted which lines to delete to get rid of the red tint a bit further up in the thread.

JrK

Prophet
What's wrong with backing up your modded skyrim.ini, changing ugrid to 5, doing the console save thing, and replacing the created skyrim.ini with your backup? It's not a hassle to do this.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom