Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Improving Skyrim / Recommended Mods thread (Mostly about Requiem)

@attackfighter

Although I agree that Skyrim and the engine's limitations doesn't make for a deeply tactical combat game, you are downplaying the thinking/skill required. Almost all the examples you raised are suspect, or outright wrong in the context of Master difficulty.

1) Backpedaling - You don't backpedal faster than AI forward movement, vastly slower, in fact.

2) Elemental magic/summons - For me that is tactical choice of spells/summons, and is satisfactory enough. Also, higher level mages use an assortment of spells, not just one element. Also, one tidbit in dungeon design: there are pools of oil sometimes (in many dungeons I've went through so far) that you can set aflame by sniping a lantern hanging overhead to drop in it, burning enemies, and if any of you play mages with fire magic, I think you can set it alight too (I don't know, if yes, great).

3) Dodging arrows - Isn't that realistic? To strafe and find cover or sprint unpredictably? If arrows home in on targets, I would be pretty pissed off at how stupid it'll look. Once you get 2 archers on you, let's see how well you dodge their arrows.

Generally, some exploitative methods look good on paper, but are complicated by groups of enemies (with varying roles: archer, mage, melee). Add in Master difficulty, and any mistake you make while exploiting AI is deadly. Also, with Master difficulty you are also tight on resources, which make drawn out fights unfriendly for potion chuggers, so you must think of creative manners of handling combat efficiently. For me, the skill factor is quite apparent in the sword/board playstyle as well. You need to time your bashes, interrupts, and know when to power attack.

Combat in Skyrim isn't fantastic compared to pure action games, but when you play it with a challenge using hp and damage bloat on enemies, little things become significant, and I can say the combat is vastly superior to other installments of the same engine aka Oblivion, FO3, FNV and as Black Cat put it: the satisfaction is surprising.

attackfighter

Magister
halflingbarbarian said:
@attackfighter

Although I agree that Skyrim and the engine's limitations doesn't make for a deeply tactical combat game, you are downplaying the thinking/skill required. Almost all the examples you raised are suspect, or outright wrong in the context of Master difficulty.

1) Backpedaling - You don't backpedal faster than AI forward movement, vastly slower, in fact.

So? YOu're still minimizing the amount of hits they get on you. You can also use terrain to aid you, for example by backpedaling until the enemy gets near, then jumping to higher or lower ground before he can take a swing at you. It's vastly easier with a mage since you can stun enemies, too.

2) Elemental magic/summons - For me that is tactical choice of spells/summons, and is satisfactory enough. Also, higher level mages use an assortment of spells, not just one element. Also, one tidbit in dungeon design: there are pools of oil sometimes (in many dungeons I've went through so far) that you can set aflame by sniping a lantern hanging overhead to drop in it, burning enemies, and if any of you play mages with fire magic, I think you can set it alight too (I don't know, if yes, great).

The most powerful mages I've encountered have been dragon priests and they only use a single element. PLenty of other mages also use single elements.

3) Dodging arrows - Isn't that realistic? To strafe and find cover or sprint unpredictably? If arrows home in on targets, I would be pretty pissed off at how stupid it'll look. Once you get 2 archers on you, let's see how well you dodge their arrows.

I never said anything about realism.

Generally, some exploitative methods look good on paper, but are complicated by groups of enemies (with varying roles: archer, mage, melee). Add in Master difficulty, and any mistake you make while exploiting AI is deadly. Also, with Master difficulty you are also tight on resources, which make drawn out fights unfriendly for potion chuggers, so you must think of creative manners of handling combat efficiently. For me, the skill factor is quite apparent in the sword/board playstyle as well. You need to time your bashes, interrupts, and know when to power attack.

Combat in Skyrim isn't fantastic compared to pure action games, but when you play it with a challenge using hp and damage bloat on enemies, little things become significant, and I can say the combat is vastly superior to other installments of the same engine aka Oblivion, FO3, FNV and as Black Cat put it: the satisfaction is surprising.

I never found enemy composition to be a problem. Basically just kite warriors and if there are ranged warriors as well, then I zigzag while kiting.

I think the difference is with how we approach fights and how exploitative of the AI we are willing to go. By going down that route of 'hey everything can be kited lol AI' it's the same as judging the balance of a game by the amount of imbalanced things you can purposely do. If you run a character/playstyle that abuses terrain constantly (speed, ranged attacks, jumping on obstacles to make approaching you impossible) and say the game is too easy... well it's not for me. If it's about mages/ranged characters being FORCED to use kiting and exploit terrain constantly, I beg to differ because there are immobilising/slow spells and also NPC companions that can be used to tank. What I'm saying is that I try to enjoy the difficulty of games in their own terms, and Skyrim does do good job of rewarding creative play if you use all the tools you have access to within the scope of the world (aka not metagaming/powergaming).

Also the point about dodging arrows is not about realism purely, it's more like: how else do you expect arrows to function? And it's also unfeasible because enemies are not always arrayed in front of you - hence my point about more archers, also in different flanks.

And if you don't mind, what level of difficulty are you playing through at? It might be a big reason for our different perspectives.

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Black Cat said:
@ ChiBee

You know for me clearing pretty unfair stuff with flair is the entire point of gaming, and Skyrim allows me to do just that. So we will have to agree to disagree in this point.

:love:

Sure. :love:

I envy you anyway -- I wish I could enjoy the game myself. Guess I'll have to wait until Daggerfall XL comes out. Or maybe I should see if I can get Battlespire running properly in DosBox this time. Or maybe Risen 2 won't disappoint me. :fingerscrossed:

Luzur

Good Sir
well i use strafing against enemy archers, i run in a diagonal line towards them and when im close enough and they are reloading i run/slash them with my twohander.

works everytime.

I'm wondering - I'm not trying to be ultra-hardcore here, but I'm not likely to play the game untl a solid 5 or so years into the future, during a product lull or if I've finished a grant-funded project early and have fuckloads of free time on my hands. It just isn't good enough to be worth falling behind at work, or putting myself under time stress, for the sake of gaming. Cause I do a lot of my work from home (I only work on campus when I've got lectures/tutes to teach and even then, I head off as soon as they finish), I have to be double strict about those things.

Having said that, I like the Lore and I like their ambition, in that they still seem focussed on making whole worlds, which is far more advanced than any gaming studio oin the market.

Drakron

Arcane
attackfighter said:
... Backpedal while attacking the guy chasing you ...

Try that against a motherfucking snow bear that is in the middle of the god damned crossroad ... its faster then you.

Saxon1974

Prophet

Eyeball

Arcane
Drakron said:
attackfighter said:
... Backpedal while attacking the guy chasing you ...

Try that against a motherfucking snow bear that is in the middle of the god damned crossroad ... its faster then you.
It's how I've managed to beat 90% of the game so far. As a mage, you can pretty much stunlock any single enemy with dual-cast lightning bolts while running backwards to regen your mana. Giants don't get within 20 feet of me now.

Been using this for magic:

http://www.skyrimnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=751

Didn't know I was getting gypped on Dual Casting. 80% increased mana cost for 20% additional damage? Screw that noise.

It's broken into several seperate mods, so if you think Enchantment is already overpowered enough you can simply pick up the Dual Casting and Skill enhancements. Or any combination of those three.

tindrli

Arcane
Ulminati said:
http://www.skyrimnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=123

This one actually worked :thumbsup:

Allowed me to go from high to ultra with decent frame rate intact on my aging 2.8ghz dual core cpu and GeForce 9600GT

It's not compatible with all the FXAA post process injectors though.

can anyone confirm that this thing will work also on
AMD dual core
8800 GT 512
2 GB RAM
fagxp

Gord

Arcane
For everyone who has tampered with the .ini and now wonders why stuff in loading screens has a red hue:

IF you generate an ini you WILL have a Red overlay on the menu. to remove it find these lines and remove.

Fix red logo:
rUIMistMenu_AmbientZPosRGB=0,0,0
rUIMistMenu_AmbientZNegRGB=0,0,0
rUIMistMenu_AmbientYPosRGB=0,0,0
rUIMistMenu_AmbientYNegRGB=0,0,0
rUIMistMenu_AmbientXPosRGB=0,0,0
rUIMistMenu_AmbientXNegRGB=0,0,0

Another oddity is the Map will be real Ugly. Snow and mountains look bad. to Fix, Remove these lines and Save the INI.

Fix map uglies

fMapMenuOverlaySnowScale=0.0000
fMapMenuOverlayScale=0.0000

Also:

bEssentialTakeNoDamage=1

Set theat to zero if you are annoyed by essential characters. Have not tested, though.

Eyeball

Arcane
Genma:TheDestroyer said:
Been using this for magic:

http://www.skyrimnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=751

Didn't know I was getting gypped on Dual Casting. 80% increased mana cost for 20% additional damage? Screw that noise.
DC's overpowered as it is, in my opinion, in a very boring way. You don't DC for more damage, you do it to stunlock the shit out of everything, including giants and dragons.

Gord

Arcane
Attention!

For all of us using the legal version, Steam has today updated the exe so that you cannot start TESV.exe manually to bypass the Steam DRM.
As a consequence, the LAA (large adress aware) patch no longer works.

If you want to continue using LAA until something similar to the FONV 4GB enabler is out, backup your TESV.exe before Steam can patch it and disable updates/switch to offline mode!

Gord said:
Attention!

For all of us using the legal version, Steam has today updated the exe so that you cannot start TESV.exe manually to bypass the Steam DRM.

If you want to continue using LAA until something similar to the FONV 4GB enabler is out, backup your TESV.exe before Steam can patch it and disable updates/switch to offline mode!

Wow that is pretty retarded, considering how much of an impact on performance LAA is.

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
tindrli said:
Ulminati said:
http://www.skyrimnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=123

This one actually worked :thumbsup:

Allowed me to go from high to ultra with decent frame rate intact on my aging 2.8ghz dual core cpu and GeForce 9600GT

It's not compatible with all the FXAA post process injectors though.

can anyone confirm that this thing will work also on
AMD dual core
8800 GT 512
2 GB RAM
fagxp
Didn't work for me when I tried. I remember another similar fix for New Vegas and it worked back then, dunno if it's the same dll.

e6750 2.66 ghz
9800 GT 1 GB
4GB RAM

Game runs like ass.

oldmanpaco

Master of Siestas
halflingbarbarian said:
Gord said:
Attention!

Wow that is pretty retarded, considering how much of an impact on performance LAA is.

I purchased this game but am still using the demo version I did not remove from inventory. Glad I never got around to installing the real version.

edit: I'm to lazy to acaully look for this but is there any word when the CK will be out?

Nael

Arcane
fizzelopeguss said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sNuFNZijnCo

It's like LARPing a German fairytale!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom