Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Improving Skyrim / Recommended Mods thread (Mostly about Requiem)

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity
Crispy said:
These are interesting, Mangoose. I assume by PC comfort you mean these introduce less delay performing the functions they're named after? You get a 'snappier' response to opening the map, for example?
Aye.

Unfortunately I can't find anything that affect any sliding or any actual UI animation besides fading faster/slower. Also really need to find a way to disable the mouse smoothing/damping in interface.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
1) open console
2) type fov 85
3) no more headaches

oldmansavage

Educated
The way they handled items in this game is just fucking pathetic. If you build your blacksmithing up to 100 (few hours of grinding) you have pretty much reached the pinnacle. Make some dragon armor and some ebony/daedric weaps and you are done.

So now after a few hours of gameplay I've got damn near the best items in the game and I don't like to larp so there isn't much left other than progressing the goofball story. If I were to improve the game in this aspect I would make unique items either better or make easily crafted item (all of them) weaker. I won't even get into level scaling. It sucks anyway you cut it whether it is oblivion style or fallout 3 as it makes character progression pointless.

I have to say that it is a damn good hiking simulator though. I had more fun wandering the land hunting deer and mining iron that anything else thus far.

Anyhow now that is off my chest do you recommend any mods appropriate for my bitch. That would be fantastic.

Majestic47

Learned
anything to improve the all gray and bland look of skyrim is fantastic imo...everything looks so dull in skyrim.

Flanged

Scholar
oldmansavage said:
The way they handled items in this game is just fucking pathetic. If you build your blacksmithing up to 100 (few hours of grinding) you have pretty much reached the pinnacle. Make some dragon armor and some ebony/daedric weaps and you are done.

Why do people do this to themselves, though? It's a Bethesda game, released in 2011. Did you really have to test it to find out how easily it's stats and levelling system could be broken? Wasn't it obvious even before it came out? The whole streamlined perk system, the whole game in every aspect of it's presentation, screams out for LARPing, not min-maxing and powergaming. It's not an RPG. It's not even an ARPG. It's Grand Theft Viking. Play it once at least as a game, then you can break it later. You'll enjoy it more that way. Unless you just like breaking it to prove how weak it is, in which case, fair enough.

oldmansavage said:
I have to say that it is a damn good hiking simulator though. I had more fun wandering the land hunting deer and mining iron that anything else thus far.

Aye, them's the good bits. I need u-grids at 7 to enjoy the outdoor landscape though, even if it causes CTDs now and again. Don't actively hate the story or the characters so far,unlike Oblivion. It's at least making a pretence towards Game of Thrones-level depth - even if it just means the Jarl sits there looking bored with his hand in a thoughtful pose while his minions loudly discuss his weaknesses right in front of him. I just wish the main quest wasn't there at all... I could enjoy a bit of court intrigue and inter-clan and city warfare (or at least eight-man battles) without Derp Dragons popping up all over the place.

Ugrids should be at seven. There are drawbacks, but it makes the landscape shine, and the landscape is the whole thing.

Flanged

Scholar
Luzur said:
can someone explain to me where i can find these lines to change in Skyrim.ini?

i looked (and used search function) but such lines as you post here are not to be found in my ini file.

EDIT:
Hmm you might have to populate the ini via console command "saveini"

oh i see.

For everybody having trouble with skyrim.ini, or not seeing any results from editing skyrimprefs.ini, remember that it is not the ones in your normal Programs\Skyrim folder that need editting, but the ones in your Steam Directory -> steamapps -> common -> SkyrimC:\Users\ place.

Round these parts, it's also likely the relevant docs could be in your [Username]\Documents\MyGames\Skyrim folder, you fetchers, if you have failed to remove the game from an inventory. Set the docs to Read Only after you edit them to suit yersels, so the game doesn't change them back.

Why do you give a shit about the graphics or the mega-ultra-performance, it's enough as it is.
What I'd really like to see moded is a more survival aspect: there's a guy on RPG Watch that pretty nailed it: health regen only if you're reasonably fed, less food and the obligation to sleep. And nude mods of course but that goes without saying. I want a fucking nude mammoth & giant combo mod. Just imagine the greatness of seeing a giant's dick flapping in the wind while he throws you on the moon with a single stroke of his staff! That would be fucking pure gay greatness. With a nude mammoth in the background it would also appeal to all the furries out there!

Angelo85

Arcane
Patron
So I'm surprised that there is no real mod for slower levelling out yet. I explore (and therefore kill, loot, craft etc.) a lot and I'm already level 15 with having only visited one of the nine towns. I'm afraid I will hit the level cap before even visiting 1/2 or even 1/3 of all locations.

The only close mod I found so far is the Slower Skill Gain Mod. Did anybody tried it yet and can report if it's any help/good?

Gord

Arcane
Angelo85 said:
So I'm surprised that there is no real mod for slower levelling out yet. I explore (and therefore kill, loot, craft etc.) a lot and I'm already level 15 with having only visited one of the nine towns. I'm afraid I will hit the level cap before even visiting 1/2 or even 1/3 of all locations.

The only close mod I found so far is the Slower Skill Gain Mod. Did anybody tried it yet and can report if it's any help/good?

With the exception of gaining levels through training and books, this should already be what you are looking for.

Or are you looking for a mod that changes the amount of skill gains necessary for leveling up?
You might look into this. The description is a bit vague, so I'm not 100% sure if it s doing what you are looking for.

Misterhamper

Scholar
Already out with the inventory fix

http://www.skyrimnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=667

667-2-1321715262.jpg

Maybe :incline:, maybe :decline: - haven't tried it, doesn't work well with 360 controller apparantly.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
Misterhamper said:
Already out with the inventory fix

http://www.skyrimnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=667

Maybe :incline:, maybe :decline: - haven't tried it, doesn't work well with 360 controller apparantly.

File hidden

This file has currently been set to hidden by the author of the file. You cannot look at this file page or download any files relating to this file until the author makes the file visible to the public again.

:(

Nael

Arcane
ThunderHorse said:
Bruticis said:
What about the FXAA injector? It makes the game a little too "happy" for my taste but I'm still messing with tweaking the settings. http://www.skyrimnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=131
I liked it till it wacked out some tree meshes so I uninstalled.

Check out the Himmelgrand Custom Shader Suite i linked to earlier in the thread maybe. It doesn't make things brighter, but definitely makes environments look more natural. In fact it makes dark environments even darker, but to me that is a great improvement. At night it drains the color from everything which is how it should be IMO.

On another note once the editor is released i think I am going to try my hand at balancing the economy a bit. It irks me that everything is worth a ton of gold and merchants can only afford a piddling of my goods before they're tapped out. I will start by making things cost more from vendors, including housing, and decrease the value of goods the player sells. My inner jew refuses to just dump stuff that is weighing me down.

MCA
First version of FXAA injector raped my game, dropping the FPS a lot. Latest version has improved massively though and I also like the new presets better.

ThunderHorse

Novice
Nael said:
ThunderHorse said:
Bruticis said:
What about the FXAA injector? It makes the game a little too "happy" for my taste but I'm still messing with tweaking the settings. http://www.skyrimnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=131
I liked it till it wacked out some tree meshes so I uninstalled.

Check out the Himmelgrand Custom Shader Suite i linked to earlier in the thread maybe. It doesn't make things brighter, but definitely makes environments look more natural. In fact it makes dark environments even darker, but to me that is a great improvement. At night it drains the color from everything which is how it should be IMO.

On another note once the editor is released i think I am going to try my hand at balancing the economy a bit. It irks me that everything is worth a ton of gold and merchants can only afford a piddling of my goods before they're tapped out. I will start by making things cost more from vendors, including housing, and decrease the value of goods the player sells. My inner jew refuses to just dump stuff that is weighing me down.
I want a living economy mod with the have your own store mod included. Those were nice in oblivion..except training costed too much.

oldmansavage

Educated
Flanged said:
oldmansavage said:

Why do people do this to themselves, though? It's a Bethesda game, released in 2011. Did you really have to test it to find out how easily it's stats and levelling system could be broken? Wasn't it obvious even before it came out? The whole streamlined perk system, the whole game in every aspect of it's presentation, screams out for LARPing, not min-maxing and powergaming. It's not an RPG. It's not even an ARPG. It's Grand Theft Viking. Play it once at least as a game, then you can break it later. You'll enjoy it more that way. Unless you just like breaking it to prove how weak it is, in which case, fair enough.

oldmansavage said:

Aye, them's the good bits. I need u-grids at 7 to enjoy the outdoor landscape though, even if it causes CTDs now and again. Don't actively hate the story or the characters so far,unlike Oblivion. It's at least making a pretence towards Game of Thrones-level depth - even if it just means the Jarl sits there looking bored with his hand in a thoughtful pose while his minions loudly discuss his weaknesses right in front of him. I just wish the main quest wasn't there at all... I could enjoy a bit of court intrigue and inter-clan and city warfare (or at least eight-man battles) without Derp Dragons popping up all over the place.

Ugrids should be at seven. There are drawbacks, but it makes the landscape shine, and the landscape is the whole thing.

:thumbsup: I'm stealing this.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom