Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Improving Skyrim / Recommended Mods thread (Mostly about Requiem)

DraQ

Arcane
a mod that allows PREGNANCY.
At least a mod allowing pregnancy has a single legitimate use (for certain value of "legitimate") - if you're the kind of person that installs Hearthfire to be able to have kids, it's sort of needed for non adopted ones.

I am afraid to ask but, is there a mod that also grows your dick as your health increases?
:lol:

They should make it so that one breast is responsible for one attribute and the other for another - would give "balanced character" a whole new meaning.
:troll:

Installed Better Dynamic Snow. So far don't see any difference in-game. Why not working? Glaurung sad.
Why do you even bother with stuff like that...

Also, is SkyUI worth using?
...Instead of essential mods you should have installed long ago that not only are required to make Skyrim a non-maddening experience but are also needed for many other essential mods to work.

Glaurung

Liberal's alt
Shitposter
Why do you even bother with stuff like that...

...Instead of essential mods you should have installed long ago that not only are required to make Skyrim a non-maddening experience but are also needed for many other essential mods to work.
Tune down your edgy etardation, plz, and learn to read.

I've been using it since day one, just not sure if it's the best option out there.

Regardless, I was asking for advice, not codexian cicle-jerk validation. If you have no advice, go back to your line of work. *points at toilet*

Glaurung

Liberal's alt
Shitposter
Then I'd suggest you learn to phrase first.
"Is it worth using?" doesn't sound like you used it at all.
It suggests nothing of the sort, to those who do are not deprived of reading comprehension and sizable chunks of brain matter. In fact, I'm asking the question precisely because I've been using nothing but SkyUI since installing Skyrim, I don't even remember exactly what issues I had with the default interface in the first five minutes I used it, before installing SkyUI, aside from it being clunky.

I've browsed the thread and noticed a number of interface mods mentioned, as well as screenshots that do not seem to be using SkyUI. So I asked the question. Little did I know of the squad of Lesser Goblins sitting in ambush, hurling feces and spells of rancid idiocy at anyone in sight.

If you did, you knew the answer already, no matter if there might be better mod alternatives out there (I bet there aren't).
If there are better alternatives, then logically SkyUI isn't worth using. That's what the word 'better' implies - that the other thing is worse.

DraQ

Arcane
Then I'd suggest you learn to phrase first.
"Is it worth using?" doesn't sound like you used it at all. If you did, you knew the answer already, no matter if there might be better mod alternatives out there (I bet there aren't).
:nocountryforshitposters:
This. If you had experienced vanilla and SkyUI it shouldn't even be a question.
Plus SkyUI is pretty much required due to MCM it provides, so you simply need it for quite a lot of essential mods (like Requiem) - that's rather hard to beat as far as alternatives are concerned.

NotAGolfer

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
If there are better alternatives, then logically SkyUI isn't worth using. That's what the word 'better' implies - that the other thing is worse.
Not worse than Vanilla though which is what's the baseline for comparison when modding Skyrim, my logically handicapped friend.
SkyUI turns the nightmare of a console UI that was in Vanilla into something tolerable. Which is good enough for most people and makes it worth using of course.
Also:
You know why I'm pretty sure that there are no better alternatives to SkyUI?
Because SkyUI is a basic requirement for nearly every new mod out there that is more than a texture replacer.
When was the last time you updated your Skyrim mod layout, 2012?
edit: what the higher chief goblin wrote ^^

DraQ

Arcane
You know why I'm pretty sure that there are no better alternatives to SkyUI?
Because SkyUI is a basic requirement for nearly every new mod out there that is more than a texture replacer.
And this makes any such hypothetical UI mod a modding equivalent of a mac - you get your hyper-ergonomic UI that's apparently also an absolute pinnacle of visual design and might or might no have been designed by a council of sagely (or, more likely sagging) experts, including whole team dedicated to determining the best way to round the corners; shame it can't run anything worthwhile.

Glaurung

Liberal's alt
Shitposter
DuraQ keeps being unable to read.

Not worse than Vanilla though which is what's the baseline for comparison when modding Skyrim, my logically handicapped friend
We're comparing skyui to a hypothetical superior mod, not the default interface. Observe your idiocy:

Glaurung says: "If there's a better mod than skyui, then skyui is not worth using."
Glaurung implies: "It's worth switching skyui for a better mod, if it exists."
NotAThinker understands: "If there's a better mod than skyui, we must stop using both skyui and the better mod, and switch to the default interface."
:retarded: :retarded: :retarded: :retarded:

Feel free to provide a list of such mods that you're using. I'm not using any, because in my experience most mod recommendations are bloated with unnecessary or terrible suggestions.

When was the last time you updated your Skyrim mod layout, 2012?
2013. Might surprise you, but non-austistic people don't play the exact same game for years at a time.

:roll: Just to prevent another asperger meltdown, "I'm not using any" means "I'm not using any mods that depend on skyui". :roll:

Glaurung

Liberal's alt
Shitposter
Is there any mod that lets me cast spells without raising hands? Or one that automatically lowers hands after the spell has been cast?

Grathanich

Novice
Smart Cast can cast spells automatically for you under certain configurable conditions (excluding dual cast spells). It is mandatory if you don't want to spend half your time on the favorites menu.

Gord

Arcane
I've been using it since day one, just not sure if it's the best option out there.

I don't know of any other, but tbh I didn't care to look for any. Esp. since it comes with MCM any alternative would need to do so as well.
There are compatible interface-affecting mods that can be used on top of SkyUI, however (e.g. Immersive HUD, Categorized Favorites Menu).

Regarding Better Dynamic Snow, I'm using it as well and it works good enough for my needs. But if you still want better textures for the snow, I guess there should be other texture replacers specifically for snow out there. I briefly used one in the early days of Skyrim modding, but don't remember the name.

Glaurung

Liberal's alt
Shitposter
I don't know of any other, but tbh I didn't care to look for any. Esp. since it comes with MCM any alternative would need to do so as well.
There are compatible interface-affecting mods that can be used on top of SkyUI, however (e.g. Immersive HUD, Categorized Favorites Menu).
Honestly, my only problem with skyui is that it doesn't let me change the default sort order, i.e. I prefer to sort by item type, but every now and then it resets to sort by name (which is useless imo). Also, it should keep equipped items on top of the list at all times. A forum thread I read suggested modifying skyui.cfg, which is odd because no such file exists in my directory.

Seems like Better Sorting is supposed to fix that, I'll try it out.

Regarding Better Dynamic Snow, I'm using it as well and it works good enough for my needs. But if you still want better textures for the snow, I guess there should be other texture replacers specifically for snow out there. I briefly used one in the early days of Skyrim modding, but don't remember the name.
Thanks.

Glaurung

Liberal's alt
Shitposter
Is there any mod that will keep my follower from unsheathing his weapon every time I raise hands to cast a spell? It seems like minor tweaks are the hardest to find.

http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/59171/?

This little guy can actually cast a spell for you with the touch of a button and it does more, I tested it and fell in love.
This seems unnecessarily complicated, plus, I kind of like casting spells with my mouse and not with hotkeys. I just want my character to lower hands automatically after each spell cast, kind of like in Oblivion.

Seems like Ultimate Follower overhaul does that. The Better Sorting mod was useless, it just changed the item names to a more generic/robotic naming scheme.

edit: UFO fixed that annoyance. Still looking for a way to change skyui default sort.

Last edited:

DraQ

Arcane
This seems unnecessarily complicated, plus, I kind of like casting spells with my mouse and not with hotkeys. I just want my character to lower hands automatically after each spell cast, kind of like in Oblivion.
In Oblivion you could cast with both hands occupied so it's kind of derp.

You can always just use sheath weapon key once you finish casting.

Glaurung

Liberal's alt
Shitposter
In Oblivion you could cast with both hands occupied so it's kind of derp
The real derp is that there's no Oblivion-style casting mod for Skyrim, even though there were plenty for fucking Morrowind back in the day. Maybe I just couldn't find any? Those hotkey mods change gameplay too much.

You can always just use sheath weapon key once you finish casting.
That's what I'm doing, but it's so annoying to hit that key after EVERY SPELL I CAST.

Grathanich

Novice
Is there any mod that will keep my follower from unsheathing his weapon every time I raise hands to cast a spell? It seems like minor tweaks are the hardest to find.

Seems like Ultimate Follower overhaul does that. The Better Sorting mod was useless, it just changed the item names to a more generic/robotic naming scheme.

edit: UFO fixed that annoyance. Still looking for a way to change skyui default sort.

It took me 5 minutes to set up, try and you'll see. Plus you can tick off the "autocast" parameter and still click the mouse to cast the spell while holding down the hotkey. When you release the hotkey, it can a) automatically lower your hands b) switch back to whatever spell or weapon you were using.

Glaurung

Liberal's alt
Shitposter
It took me 5 minutes to set up, try and you'll see. Plus you can tick off the "autocast" parameter and still click the mouse to cast the spell while holding down the hotkey. When you release the hotkey, it can a) automatically lower your hands b) switch back to whatever spell or weapon you were using.
Thanks, I'll check it out later.

Does anyone know how to edit in-game tooltips that say which button to press? They don't reflect changes you make in control settings, so it's annoying when the game tells you to press TAB when you're really pressing Q or whatever. I've tried looking in the Interface.bsa, but that seems to hold mostly icons. Where should I look for on-screen tooltips/hints?

Gonna try Skyrim with Requiem, what other mods go along with it besides the obvious + patch? I'm looking for a more hardcore experience with some LARPfag elements. To an extent of course, something like FNV's hardcore mode, as opposed to a mod that allows you to shit in the woods or has immursive animations when you lay down.

My current gameplay modifiers are:
Character creation overhaul
Dangerous Creatures
Armor cap 99(Raises DR potential to 99 but quarters the default value so it's almost impossible to reach without smithing/enchanting/heavy armor, etc.)
Nightmare (Increases enemy stats slightly and multiplies their spawns significantly.)

Can be fun to jump in and play every now and then, but nothing spectacular, and a bit too "vanilla with sprinkles".

hell bovine

Arcane
Gonna try Skyrim with Requiem, what other mods go along with it besides the obvious + patch? I'm looking for a more hardcore experience with some LARPfag elements. To an extent of course, something like FNV's hardcore mode, as opposed to a mod that allows you to shit in the woods or has immursive animations when you lay down.

My current gameplay modifiers are:
Character creation overhaul
Dangerous Creatures
Armor cap 99(Raises DR potential to 99 but quarters the default value so it's almost impossible to reach without smithing/enchanting/heavy armor, etc.)
Nightmare (Increases enemy stats slightly and multiplies their spawns significantly.)

Can be fun to jump in and play every now and then, but nothing spectacular, and a bit too "vanilla with sprinkles".
Requiem already overhauls races, so any other mods doing that will be incompatible. I would recommend getting something to beef up dragons, since the default Requiem lizards are too weak (in comparison to Dragon priests, for example). SkyTweak is a nice tool to tweak damage and a lot of different factors in-game. Frostfall & Realistic Needs make for an interesting challenge, even though I don't use them anymore, since it was a bit too sims-like for my taste. You don't really need much to have fun with Requiem, and I have to say those armor overhauls in the 1.8 version are very pretty.

Gord

Arcane
Unless you find compatibility patches, you should remove all the mods from your list there, as they will likely conflict with Requiem.

Regarding the Dragons, I'd recommend trying them first without any other Dragon overhauls. Current Requiem (1.8.1+) dragons seem pretty difficult to me.
Although that might be because I play a melee fighter, which means getting close and personal with them - resulting in too many 1hit-kills to bother. At least until I level up some more (currently around level 15, I think, and even the very first "wounded" dragon rapes me and all the NPCs around easily) and find better equipment.

Last edited:

DraQ

Arcane
a mod that allows you to shit in the woods
Contact RK47 for that one.

Requiem already overhauls races, so any other mods doing that will be incompatible.
Requiem also overhauls armor mechanics including caps.
Overall you don't really need much other mods to play with Requiem.

I would recommend getting something to beef up dragons
Anything in particular?

Mighty Dragons is cool but a massive downgrade in terms of melee damage which is unacceptable, DCO was causing Sahloknir soul bug for me so it had to go.

hell bovine

Arcane
Anything in particular?

Mighty Dragons is cool but a massive downgrade in terms of melee damage which is unacceptable, DCO was causing Sahloknir soul bug for me so it had to go.
I was getting my dragon mod recommendations from you. :lol: Deadly dragons caused crashes in my game, even before any dragons were encountered. Haven't gotten far with mighty dragons, but DCO worked fine. I liked how it would make them stay in the air longer; no more lizard stomping by giants and mammoths. I used it in combination with the Dragon Stalking fix, though.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom