Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Improving Skyrim / Recommended Mods thread (Mostly about Requiem)

Emily

Arcane
Well i am trying to avoid conjuration as i find it easy and boring most of the time... Surely it is possible to do it without? I mean with 3 schools combined

Eyeball

Arcane
Grab the first perk in it that grants you your first spells and get one of the summons. You will thank me for this later, even if you turn out not to need the summon.

I had a motherfucker of a time beating the aforementioned 1shotting shitwizards with fireball wands in dungeons until I realised I could summon skeleton warriors from around the corner. Skeletons are not particularly flammable, so this is one of the best ways to get rid of pesky but squishy mages.

If you aim to go destruction, there are some spells that can go around corners as well. The exploding rune trap spells in particular to great damage and can be used to great effect against uglies camping around a corner from you with a bow or magic staff or to lure slower melee types into.

Emily

Arcane
Congratz on finishing it.
Well il get the skeleton then i guess. I remember in Morrowind how reflect magic was annoying so i was forced to use Golden saint on such enemies :lol:
I also installed Realistic needs and diseases and Frostfall they seem great editions to spice things up.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
I found Wizards are pushovers when you take the Atronach sign with sneak attacks.
I also found a Blood to Magic spell that drains HP for MP.
Worth casting in city.

Emily

Arcane
I installed animated prostitution following Rk47's wisdom. However it seems it is not balanced for reqium as it makes speechcraft checks too high considering you start off at 5 skill level
Requim is not fucking around, even prostitution is hardcore :lol: :lol: :lol:

DraQ

Arcane
Upon reaching skill level 50 in destruction magic, however, you learn the "lightning ray" spell and will then be able to kill giants from 70 feet away in 3 seconds flat.
For me the breaking point is much earlier - when you can cast runes.
Runes are awesome, you can use them as close range fireball, plug doorways, preemptively blow up draugr sarcophagi - funfunfun.

Not nearly as powerful as "lightning ray" but definitely the point where you start going from supplementary magic to actual combat magic. Also icesphere - rapes anything not immune.

As for summons, basic ghostly wolf is incredibly useful against archers.

And yeah, sun- spells are very handy against oh-god-why grade undead like dragonpriests.

DraQ

Arcane
Started Requiem, got killed by a mudcrab after i dropped my weapon :lol:
You may drop weapon when hit while exhausted.

Also, that's nothing, I dropped my weapon on a much earlier character when fighting that leader of Peryite's cultists. Overall I was in over my head and had to get him out of his room first, because I couldn't even close the distance or shoot him reliably because I had to dodge his instarape icespheres. Even after I manged to get him out and get hopped up on resist and healing pots it was buttfuck hard, pretty much everything around was a festoon of ice or part of blazing inferno by the end of the fight, so I didn't even bother looking for my weapon and ended up punching fucker to death while on the last sliver of my health. Then I had to wait the blaze out while standing on a small patch of non-burning ground before I could even hope to see my weapon.

Although, yeah, getting killed while trying to punch a mudcrab has its own kind of charm.

Eyeball

Arcane
Which reminds me: please remember that Requiem comes with a handy in-game customisation menu for a lot of the functions in the game to make it more or less hardcore as you prefer.

Such as turning off that gayshit weapon dropping thing. That was way more annoying than entertaining.

Emily

Arcane
If there is just one thing i dont understand it is why are arrows one hit kill
It is just silly. Mage armor dosent do shit

Gord

Arcane
Apparently because the guy behind Requiem thinks that otherwise archers are too weak.
I think they have been nerfed a little bit in the newest version, although I'm not sure to what extend.

Heavy armor offers relatively good protection against arrows, though.

DraQ

Arcane
If there is just one thing i dont understand it is why are arrows one hit kill
It is just silly. Mage armor dosent do shit
They aren't always one hit kill.

Damage depends on distance, weapon, arrows, shooter's skill/perks.
But yeah, unless at fall-off distance they hit pretty hard and kill unarmoured, low HP casters easily.
Find a way to not tank arrows with your face, at least for the time you can't do anything about your protective spells.

DraQ

Arcane
Apparently because the guy behind Requiem thinks that otherwise archers are too weak.
I think they have been nerfed a little bit in the newest version, although I'm not sure to what extend.
I liked them more pre-nerf, actually, but they're still pretty deadly.

Heavy armor offers relatively good protection against arrows, though.
The most fun part is when they tend to just bounce off you if you're walking around in plate.

Gord

Arcane

But yeah, unless at fall-off distance they hit pretty hard and kill unarmoured, low HP casters easily.

I would have preferred the stagger effect (still with massive health loss after all) you get at medium range to be used at short range instead of the one-hit-kills, but we already had that discussion a few times... ;)

DraQ

Arcane

I would have preferred the stagger effect (still with massive health loss after all) you get at medium range to be used at short range instead of the one-hit-kills, but we already had that discussion a few times... ;)
I would like massive, but non-fatal initial hit damage and bleeding that would quickly become fatal for lightly armoured, not very buff characters unless mitigated.

Still current system works and is mechanically simpler, with much less risk of choking the script engine.

git gud scrub Having problems with archers in Requiem, you say? Quite simply, it's a matter of inexperience.

They are lightly armored and use no protection spells, so the power boost up close is necessary to make them more than a nuisance/free arrows dispenser. If you're in heavy armor you can just walk up to them while they plink away at it. A conjured wolf will force them to switch to a dagger. One arrow or two will often kill them outright. Etc. If all else fails, you can jump from cover to cover until they run out of arrows.

Eyeball

Arcane
Yeah, no.

Unless your heavy armour is well good, an arrow to the face will still hurt you very badly, and considering that most enemies carry a bunch of arrows waiting for them to run out is not a recommended tactic.

My preferred tactic for dealing with archers without some way of ranged death dealing myself is this: hide behind a pillar or something while the archer waits. Pop your head out for a second and listen to the arrow hit the rock harmlessly where your face was a second ago. Then sprint into the archer while he's drawing another arrow. If you are wearing heavier armour than him, you will likely knock him down, after which you can chop him to pieces while he's flailing around on the floor at your leisure.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
Well, lightning bolt is insta hit and destroy bow on hit.
happened to me once while i was shooting down a mage.
good thing i had backup ranged weapons and sign of atronach.
Also had a lulzy moment where i was reloading my crossbow to finish off this sabercat.
I was 100% confident I'll land the last hit.
So I waited. And as I fired the last shot, the slow-mo killcam triggered. I knew I won. Except the fucking 'pounce' effect still kicks in right as it lunges into the bolt at point blank range, destroying my crossbow and knocking me down the streams below the Reach with its last living moment.

I laughed as my character's body splashed down below and floated for a good 10 seconds before recovering with half HP. Shit like this makes good sandbox.

DraQ

Arcane
Well, lightning bolt is insta hit and destroy bow on hit.
happened to me once while i was shooting down a mage.
good thing i had backup ranged weapons and sign of atronach.
Also had a lulzy moment where i was reloading my crossbow to finish off this sabercat.
I was 100% confident I'll land the last hit.
So I waited. And as I fired the last shot, the slow-mo killcam triggered. I knew I won. Except the fucking 'pounce' effect still kicks in right as it lunges into the bolt at point blank range, destroying my crossbow and knocking me down the streams below the Reach with its last living moment.

I laughed as my character's body splashed down below and floated for a good 10 seconds before recovering with half HP. Shit like this makes good sandbox.
:bro:

I remember fighting a bear once and only survivng because it flipped me off a steep bank and into the river, so it couldn't reach me as I floated down with barely a sliver of health for a long time before I recovered.
I think a follower finished the bear off in the meantime.

Speaking of bow breaking, how to verify if it functions correctly in my install?
My own ranged weapons break flawlessly, but I can't seem to manage to break an NPCs one in current version.
I don't think I've ever dropped my weapon due to exhaustion in this one either.

Gord

Arcane
Speaking of bow breaking, how to verify if it functions correctly in my install?
My own ranged weapons break flawlessly, but I can't seem to manage to break an NPCs one in current version.
I don't think I've ever dropped my weapon due to exhaustion in this one either.

I break enemy ranged weapons quite often with my low-level fighter if I manage to attack them while they still have the (x-)bow out.
Might it be related to weapon/damage type? I've been using mostly a mace and a longsword so far.

Never dropped a weapon from exhaustion either, btw, although I definitely fought exhausted a few times.

One thing you might try, assuming you have properly set up Requiem in your current version (load it last, run the patcher that comes with the newest version, etc.), is to try opening Requiem's MCM menu to see if there are correpsonding options you could toggle so they get re-applied.

Emily

Arcane
Live another life must be loaded after Requiem if not the game freezes at main menu.

Gord

Arcane
Yes, true, and the Requiem author is saying so, too.
BOSS likes to put Requiem at other places however, so that might be something to look out for.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom