Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Impressions after finishing F4

potatojohn

Arcane
tl;dr It is very good.

I played the first half on hard difficulty but after I read that survival spawns more legendary enemies I switched to survival.

It became easier toward the end as I maxed sneak, ninja, mister sandman, lone wanderer, and rifleman (4/5). I would often one-shot kill legendary enemies with a combat rifle.

I liked the leveling system. I ended the main quest on level 43 and there were tons of useful perks left to take (I had no crafting at all, no pickpocket, only rifleman weapon skill, etc) It's not really dumbed down - you just take perk levels 1-5 instead of skills 1-100 (or 255 in F1/2). There are also more weapon "skills" and they're more logical, which is great after the stupid way it worked in NV.

I liked the story. It had some thoughtful moments, like when you go into Kellogg's mind, or when the institute sends you after a synth that became a raider, and the theme of AI and AI rights ties in nicely to contemporary discussions. It also wasn't too "whacky" unlike some parts of NV (like yes-man).

The factions were also quite cool. None of them were evil and all had some good points to make, either directly or through quests. It was surprisingly difficult to choose one.

The dialogue system is... I don't know. It's a big improvement in some ways. For example you can walk or look away and back or pull out a gun, and conversations involving multiple people feel far more natural than before.

The writing is good for what it is. I'm normally quite sensitive to this, but I don't remember anything particularly bad. It was occasionally funny or thoughtful, which I think places it high among video games.

The map is nice, especially the huge urban area where the threat often comes from above, and the glowing sea, where you have to wear a hazmat suit but also face some of the toughest enemies.

I liked that you got the power armor early. I always hated how in NV you had to get through some of the toughest quests in the game to get it. It's well balanced since it needs power to run, takes damage, makes sneaking hard and you can't get as many bonuses as from normal legendary armor.

Equipment modding greatly improved the game. I especially liked how I often used worse guns with mods because I didn't have those mods for my better guns. There are also interesting trade-offs, like adding a scope reduces hip-fire accuracy and costs more in VATS, and silencers reduce range.

The settlement building was entertaining, marred only by the lacking interface. It really needs some sort of table where you can see what settlers are doing and assign jobs to them.

The random legendary enemies and items felt out of place. It did make the combat a bit more interesting, but I think they should've at least had some more restrictions on what kind of effects types of items can receive, since a lot of combinations are nonsense. Overall I think this is the weakest point of the game. Since it's random and NPCs never comment on it it's easy to ignore. I also didn't like that the power armor spawns were based on character level. They should've just put more powerful ones in more dangerous locations.

As usual, the interface is awkward and takes some getting used to. I wish there was some way to make "armor sets" so you could quickly switch between them. The amount of time I spent clicking to switch between combat armor, charisma boosting clothing and the hazmat suit... ffs. But I'm sure mods will fix it.

The graphics are great in my opinion. The lightning is often beautiful, colors are vibrant, animations are good, character faces finally look decent and you can have different body types (and it's even reflected in armor).

CrawlingDead

Learned
Ok, so before I buy this wonderful RPG, I just want to know how many playthroughs are you going to have -- is a charismatic figure viable? What about a straight hacker? Does the game respond to your choices in a meaningful way or is it pretty cut and dry? I was hoping I could join a Slaver's Guild and murder whole towns, is this possible or are many of the NPCs invincible? Is the storyline deep and rewarding or is it classic Bethesda with all kinds of cliches and terrible writing?

I'm not rich. $60 is a lot of money for a game that only lets you shoot and loot as it's primary form of entertainment. Oh look, GOG has another sale, I can buy all the D&D classics for $20...

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane
Ok, so before I buy this wonderful RPG, I just want to know how many playthroughs are you going to have -- is a charismatic figure viable? What about a straight hacker? Does the game respond to your choices in a meaningful way or is it pretty cut and dry? I was hoping I could join a Slaver's Guild and murder whole towns, is this possible or are many of the NPCs invincible? Is the storyline deep and rewarding or is it classic Bethesda with all kinds of cliches and terrible writing?

I'm not rich. $60 is a lot of money for a game that only lets you shoot and loot as it's primary form of entertainment. Oh look, GOG has another sale, I can buy all the D&D classics for $20...

If that's what you're looking for, then wait till its on sale (like, 75%+ off or get it for free one of those gifting sites.
Its not a terrible game, but its not a Fallout game and its not a RPG.
Think of it as an upgrade of Fallout 3, with some more liberties with the lore, and some mechanical improvements.

chestburster

Savant
Illiterate
Spot on. It's a better FarCry/Borderlands with better art direction, better writing (derpy if compared to F1/2 and NV but better than Farcry boredlands), better enemy variety, more interesting weapons, better balance, and it has proper power armor and mini-gun. Worth $5 maybe 10 for what it is.

The looking for baby story is cringeworthy but I skipped most of the retarded dialog. And the game doesn't have unskippable cutscenes.

SquidLord

Educated
Why do people shit so much on Far Cry and Borderlands writing?

The writing in both is serviceable for what they are trying to do, be fps with rpg elements.

Even if I were to give you that Fallout 4 was better written (I won't) it is tring to be an rpg so the bar is higher.

It's like comparing the witting of a summer action thriller with a character drama.

ortucis

Prophet
Why do people shit so much on Far Cry and Borderlands writing?

Farcry series (3/4) has better writing and presentation than Borderlands and Fallout (3/4).

Borderlands (1/2) and Fallout (3/4) are on the same level of writing. Both games have nothing interesting going on in the game world. The worst part is that in Bethesda's games, at least sometimes they get the creepy atmosphere right (underground areas with Ghouls and stories about people who turned or were trapped, reminds me of Descent or The Hills Have Eyes). It would be so much better if the atmosphere was accompanied by a awesome storyline.

Borderlands can't even get atmosphere right. Maybe it's the shit cell-shading that ruins it.

That is why I consider Fallout 4 to be a better lite-RPG than Borderlands. It has better combat and atmosphere (underground) in the end.

Ellef

Deplorable
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Requesting dumbfuck AKA bethestard tag for OP. It really is that clear cut.

Really, we could go through and pick out every dumbfuck line, but I guess i'll just go with one to point out your likely Russian brain.

I liked that you got the power armor early. I always hated how in NV you had to get through some of the toughest quests in the game to get it.

MWaser

Arbiter
OP: everything that isn't completely downright broken is perfectly fine and you have 0 complaints about it, so your only complaint is about the UI being absolute garbage.

This is why we can't have nice things, Bethestards and other fangays will love whatever shit they're given by their favourite companies if the games are at least slightly entertaining for them.

EDIT: I just noticed some people brofisted the OP's post. What a disgrace.

Last edited:

Metal Hurlant

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
tl;dr It is very good.

It's not really dumbed down

There are also more weapon "skills" and they're more logical

I liked the story. It had some thoughtful moments,

The dialogue system is... I don't know. It's a big improvement in some ways. For example you can walk or look away and back or pull out a gun...

The writing is good for what it is. It was occasionally funny or thoughtful, which I think places it high among video games.

I liked that you got the power armor early.

The graphics are great ... and you can have different body types

:what:

Oh yeah, about that dialogue... Found a screen shot from another forum.

vPjk2KC.jpg

:shredder::prosper::deathclaw:

Last edited:

potatojohn

Arcane

vPjk2KC.jpg

What? It's a procedural quest. You can accept it or walk away.

Can someone explain their objections to the game, or are you all retards who communicate solely through maymays?

Because so far I'm only seeing the latter.

Self-Ejected

Drog Black Tooth

Self-Ejected
Only 6 more playthroughs left! Be a true Codexer, learn your enemy's ways so you can successfully sabotage them!

potatojohn

Arcane
Only 6 more playthroughs left! Be a true Codexer, learn your enemy's ways so you can successfully sabotage them!
Another maymay, great job.

Truly a forum for prestigious gentlemen.

Prestigious in the sense of having the most posts on 9gag apparently.

ArchAngel

Arcane

vPjk2KC.jpg

What? It's a procedural quest. You can accept it or walk away.

Can someone explain their objections to the game, or are you all retards who communicate solely through maymays?

Because so far I'm only seeing the latter.
You truly are a Potato.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom