Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Imperial Freelance Knights of the Ni - Oblivion DLC reviewed

Nog Robbin

Scholar
Looks like someone is a spoon guard fan ;)

Awesome work - keep it up!

OccupatedVoid

Arbiter
Remember that quote on the ESF with the link to this wonderful review? The quote was removed, but the post's contents remained. I don't see how, though, you gave the Horse Armor a 23323211656439/10 .

KreideBein

Scholar
OccupatedVoid said:
Remember that quote on the ESF with the link to this wonderful review? The quote was removed, but the post's contents remained. I don't see how, though, you gave the Horse Armor a 23323211656439/10 .

It took them what, like, two days to figure out that that link was there? It'd be interesting to see how many people actually followed it here.

cutterjohn

Cipher
Admiral jimbob said:
cutterjohn said:
I hate to say it, but this is the most fun that I've had with Oblivious yet...

BTW shouldn't that horse be named Mr. Ed? (So they can come out wit hteh talkung horsey DLC for $4.99...)

You do know what Mr Hands is?
obviously not...

oic. And pray tell, Jimbob just how you happened to come across this info?

I still like Mr. Ed better though, as I like the idea of the talkung horsey better than the fucking horsey mod...

Though, on the downside, they now seem convinced for some reason that that reviewer was me.

That was actually the intent when I posted it, in that I wanted them to ban him for linking to the Codex and finally have them remove that piece of shit [Dev: Well written stuff!] review. That he is a dim bulb and actually quoted the link in a positive manner without recognizing it just made things easier.

As for them thinking you're an illiterate moron who isn't capable of forming a coherent paragraph [Dev: Not true, great well written review!], well, unfortunate things occur in wars.

OccupatedVoid

Arbiter
Chinese Jetpilot said:
Though, on the downside, they now seem convinced for some reason that that reviewer was me.

That was actually the intent when I posted it, in that I wanted them to ban him for linking to the Codex and finally have them remove that piece of shit [Dev: Well written stuff!] review. That he is a dim bulb and actually quoted the link in a positive manner without recognizing it just made things easier.

As for them thinking you're an illiterate moron who isn't capable of forming a coherent paragraph [Dev: Not true, great well written review!], well, unfortunate things occur in wars.
Let's do this again! We shall make loyal Oblivion fans hate the ESF!

Shoelip

Arbiter
Well I got bored of OB again and uninstalled it, so no talking horse mod. :lol:

Darkflame

Scholar
Shoelip said:
Well I got bored of OB again and uninstalled it, so no talking horse mod. :lol:

Reading this thread the other day actually enticed me to give it another try... I loaded it up, loaded up my save-game, killed a few NPCs, and shut er down after 5 minutes in utter disgust...

Part the Third: Volourn's Razor

The first thing Nick did after leaving the Orrarrarrie was to seek out a replacement for Mr Hands, after tearfully gulping down his old steed's remains. And, of course, no epic level 1 Imperial Freelance Knight's noble steed is complete without....

ScreenShot24.jpg

HORSE ARMAAAAAAAAH!

Epically questing after Volourn's Razor - an ancient artifact mentioned in one of the painful letters, quite probably left to him by one of his seven alleged grandmothers - Nick took his new steed, Mr Ed, across and beyond the laws of physics, beaming with pride as the poor creature lifted a huge bulk of armour and a huge bulk of Imperial Freelance knight across a deep river without complaint.

ScreenShot25.jpg

Giving Mr Ed a quick respite, Nick dismounted and munched thoughtfully on several pounds of mashed potatoes. This was his world, his hunting grounds, and as an Imperial Freelance Knight he feared nothing it could throw at him....

ScreenShot26.jpg

Apart from.... Them. Screaming, he vaulted onto the surprised Mr Ed, smacking its flanks over-vigorously, charging at optimum speed away from the horrible creatures. He avoided them whenever he could, and today was no exception - he led them through a bandit camp, too terrified to look back to see how they fared. He had no need to worry - this was not Gothic 3, after all - but worried nonetheless, breaking new records of absurdity by forcing Mr Ed to jump up the side of an almost completely sheer mountain.

ScreenShot27.jpg

However, Nick was then faced by another environmental challenge-that-was-not; how to descend from the mountain.

ScreenShot28.jpg

Shrugging his noble shoulders, he made up his mind. The laws of physics were for lesser people, so he gave Mr Ed's flanks another hearty spank and made the poor creature bounce right off the mountain, perfectly certain that it would survive.

ScreenShot29.jpg

It didn't.

Nick continued onwards, forgetting the short-lived steed, and made his way to the fortress of Sundercliff Watch. He entered.

ScreenShot30.jpg

Cheers.

Nick ventured a short way into the cave, slaying a few generic evildoers. This was to become something of a repeated situation over the next two hours.

ScreenShot31.jpg

Aha! A riddle! And a nonsensical one, at least to Nick's headstrong Imperial Freelance Mind. Where could the answer lie, he wondered?
As it turned out, the answer lay in a sheet of paper on a stool right beside the door. Even Nick was puzzled by... well... the stupidity of the entire thing.
Shrugging, he continued onwards. Eventually, he found the journal of the particular nefarious villain he was after this time around, which explained that two bezoars had been used to seal Varsa Baalim, the Ayleidic city where the evil wizard did evil wizardly things.

To break the LARPy narration momentarily, I really don't feel the next few screenshots require narration.

ScreenShot32.jpg

ScreenShot33.jpg

ScreenShot34.jpg

ScreenShot35.jpg

ScreenShot36.jpg

Well! Nick eventually worked out what he was meant to be doing, and fought his way through a few generic evil vampires to get to the Niffyapplerum sanctum where the ebil wizzerd waited. Entering, he discovered the horrible villain performing obscene sexual acts on a huge statue of the ancient warrior whose shaving appliance he did seek. Turning, the immensely powerful Archmage let out a tinny laugh.
Nick then did in his underclothing what his mother, seven years before, had very patiently and with little success attempted to teach him not to do. Who could blame him, though? This was a hideously mighty sorcerer of the Great House Telvanni, one who sought the power of one of several generic ancient evils and had raised a mighty army to conquer Cyrodiil. Who knew what terrible magicks he might unleash?
None, as it turned out. He drew a claymore and charged forward. Nick poked him with his sword, gently, and the Dunmer sputtered, doubled over and died of old age. Thus ended the crisis.
Nick had a brief look through the ineffectual villain's journal, and discovered no pictures. Luckily, his Magic Journal stepped in to save the day again, telling him to consume the Volourn statue's beating heart to gain the power of Volourn's Razor.

ScreenShot37.jpg

He did so, and turned in horror at the sound of clanking armour and the drawing of a weapon.

ScreenShot38.jpg

"ROOFLES!" roared the living statue, charging across the cavern towards him. Nick screamed, disgraced himself again, and waved his sword in a panic. It briefly caught on Volourn's elaborate stockings, causing him to trip and break his neck.

ScreenShot39.jpg

And so Nick's greatest adventure to date ended. He left the room by the convenient secret passage which had just opened, retrieving Volourn's Razor on the way. Sadly, on his way out of the cavern, he tripped over a mudcrab and dropped it down a manhole, where it was eaten by Todd Howard.

Seeking a cure for the confusingly stupid Cannibal Disease, Nick triumphantly made his way to the Anvil Chapel of Dibella. Entering through a side door, thus bypassing the required journal entry given by the front-door guard, he discovered a terrible sight.

ScreenShot40.jpg

Yes. Miss Jirich's dress did not, in fact, have any opening at the bottom. Her legs began just above the ankle, making her a hideous dress-mutant. While wandering away from the Chapel, pondering the implications of this, Nick bumped into a Mysterius and Wies Prophat, who told him about a Good Dood who fought a Bad Dood and how the Bad Dood was coming back to kill Every Dood.
"Are you a worthy Knight of the Ni?" he asked eventually.

ScreenShot41.jpg

Nick wondered about this. For sure, he was an Imperial Freelance Knight by trade, but the only pantheon he worshipped was the Bethesda Gods, led by Uncle Todd.
"Nay," he replied sadly.
The Prophat sent him out to worship at several wayshrines, and Nick's greatest adventure finally began.

ScreenShot42.jpg

VERDICT
Volourn's Razor - An epic, original, genre-defining addition to The Eldar Bowls VI: Oblibonions. I thought that the final two opponents dying in one blow each was a particularly fitting and unexpected twist. 1434503584/10

I'm just wondering what other really subtle hints they're going to throw at me about how The Prop-hat is actually Tiber Septim. They didn't make it obvious enough for the "I have retrieved the second bezoar" crowd.

dongle

Scholar
Heh. I like how you took a break in the middle of making fun of the plug-in for a bit, and just let it make fun of itself for a while. :D Nice work.

Shoelip

Arbiter
Would you mind if I borrow your screenshots of the journal entries for a demonstration?

Shoelip said:
Would you mind if I borrow your screenshots of the journal entries for a demonstration?

Not a problem, my pretty.
Incidentally, I finished Knights of the Ni today. You know when they said it was a 20 hour quest....? The "0" was a typo. Anyway, review will be up tomorrow.

Shoelip

Arbiter
Admiral jimbob said:
Shoelip said:

Not a problem, my pretty.
Incidentally, I finished Knights of the Ni today. You know when they said it was a 20 hour quest....? The "0" was a typo. Anyway, review will be up tomorrow.

They're probably counting the time it would take you to walk to each location and delays caused by idiots not knowing what to do without step by step popup instructions.

I remember being stuck for a few minutes on th Sheogorath quest until I get my brain started again. Best quest in the game. Best ending too. Better than the MQ.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom