Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Decline I'm Starting to Dislike Ratings

Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Ever since ratings arrived you barely see funny reaction images / gifs anymore which sucks

gifs_24.gif

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I have been observing myself and others use ratings not in addition to but instead of posts to react to posts.
I feel this behavior intensifies with time and it's affecting the practice element of posting.
Ratings encourage laziness of thought and/or formulating coherent answers.
While one liners and shitposts and memes and getting side tracked or even having a thread completely derailed may be annoying in some cases to some people, it's definitely preferable to the direction things are currently heading: lowest effort interaction.
Given the high levels of obsession, passion and just plain intelligence on the codex, the issue is not yet very visible but in time we may some day come to realize we've not just become older but stupider.
In my youth I was lucky enough to be taught english by my TV before dubbing became a thing in my country, much like all other romanians my age who could at that time afford a TV and cable. Then dubbing happened. Then localization of internet sites and games. The convenience of not having to learn a language to understand what's happening on TV, on your computer or on your phone led to all subsequent generations of kids having to struggle with english in schools.
Im worried future generations of codexers may not be able to actually post, only react to to infinitron's shilling by pushing the rating buttons.
I think some people might be pissed it their special donations-bought-ratings get revoked. but if the codex is still willing to offer the traditional codex experience with butthurt inducing design decisions, it's not too late yet to get rid of this cancer.
Please don't rate this post, you retards!
This is what I was warning about from the beginning. My posts are in "We need more buttons". You are absolutely right.

My solution was to use uBlock Origin to selectively block the html element that contains the buttons and ratings. The codex looks so much better without them. However, I still see them when viewing the site on a tablet.

Thane Solus

Arcane
I have been observing myself and others use ratings not in addition to but instead of posts to react to posts.
I feel this behavior intensifies with time and it's affecting the practice element of posting.
Ratings encourage laziness of thought and/or formulating coherent answers.
While one liners and shitposts and memes and getting side tracked or even having a thread completely derailed may be annoying in some cases to some people, it's definitely preferable to the direction things are currently heading: lowest effort interaction.
Given the high levels of obsession, passion and just plain intelligence on the codex, the issue is not yet very visible but in time we may some day come to realize we've not just become older but stupider.
In my youth I was lucky enough to be taught english by my TV before dubbing became a thing in my country, much like all other romanians my age who could at that time afford a TV and cable. Then dubbing happened. Then localization of internet sites and games. The convenience of not having to learn a language to understand what's happening on TV, on your computer or on your phone led to all subsequent generations of kids having to struggle with english in schools.
Im worried future generations of codexers may not be able to actually post, only react to to infinitron's shilling by pushing the rating buttons.
I think some people might be pissed it their special donations-bought-ratings get revoked. but if the codex is still willing to offer the traditional codex experience with butthurt inducing design decisions, it's not too late yet to get rid of this cancer.
Please don't rate this post, you retards!

The ratings will be death of codex, and its already happening. I noticed this in the last years. The retardo snowflakes, if they dont agree with your opinion(subjective or not), instead of coming with some arguments (thats too hard, their head might explode), they just press a button.

Facebook 2.0! That is what codex is today, and it can only get worse.

Thanks Obama, i mean Infinitron...

I still visit the forum for strange news, maybe some new interesting game/movie or some fun, which i rarely find lately, i guess is a part routine which i am starting to get rid of it. At least somebody made some money out of it :)))))))

AwesomeButton

Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
There are tags for people who make retarded posts. I'd like it if there was a script that adds a "possibly retarded" tag automatically if you reach a certain ratio between posts and retarded ratings. That would make ratings at least marginally useful. It would discourage some people from writing at least some part of their retarded posts.

Marking the whole post with prison bars or something else equally annoying is far more effective than tags of course.

Last edited:

Educated
When I saw the title of this thread I was sure it was made by Mynon, looks like a thread he'd make

Just realized Ninja Destroyer has the "I Was With Her" and "I want to make America great again" tags. :lol:

There are tags for people who make retarded posts. I'd like it if there was a script that adds a "possibly retarded" tag automatically if you reach a certain ratio between posts and retarded ratings. That would make ratings at least marginally useful. It would discourage some people from writing at least some part of their retarded posts. Marking the whole post with prison bars or something else equally annoying is far more effective than tags of course.

"fabulously optimistic"

4 real tho, it would actually just encourage people to rate their political opponents retarded as often as possible in hopes of tagging them, people have left forever (and "forever") after being tagged.

AwesomeButton

Patron
Just realized Ninja Destroyer has the "I Was With Her" and "I want to make America great again" tags. :lol:

There are tags for people who make retarded posts. I'd like it if there was a script that adds a "possibly retarded" tag automatically if you reach a certain ratio between posts and retarded ratings. That would make ratings at least marginally useful. It would discourage some people from writing at least some part of their retarded posts. Marking the whole post with prison bars or something else equally annoying is far more effective than tags of course.

"fabulously optimistic"

4 real tho, it would actually just encourage people to rate their political opponents retarded as often as possible in hopes of tagging them, people have left forever (and "forever") after being tagged.
Ratings should be removed. People rate each other for stupid reasons as it is.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom