Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

I'm playing Warhammer: Dawn of War right now...

fnordcircle

Liturgist
Frowning at my monitor as I read your dumb post.
And even just the tutorial has seen about 6 hours of my life whooshy by in flash. It is just that damn good. Even if I wasn't a huge Warhammer fan I'd be very happy with it. But from the first moment I summoned the Eldar Avatar of Khaine....

Anyways, I got it by signing up for a Fileplanet account for 1 month, $6.95. It's a closed beta right now. Principles about paying to beta test aside, I'm awful glad I got it.

There may still be time, sign on. The multiplayer fun is really where it's at.

Greenskin13

Erudite
I've been bored with most RTS's ever since I picked up Close Combat 2 again. I loved how in CC2, I could have a squad hold up in a house and they would start shooting at the enemy while I can focus on another squad. In most RTS's now, I find that battles end surprisingly quick. I don't have time to pull a rescue on a band of pinned-down soldiers in games like Command and Conquer. Does Warhammer: DoW have the same 'quick action' sequences?

Astromarine

Erudite
DoW battle are NOT surprisingly quick. You summon units in squads, and you can upgrade those with more men, a veteran sargeant, and heavy weapons. The AI is GOOD, with squads taking good care of themselves when you point them in the direction of the enemy. The Morale system means that long before a squad is completely wiped out it will be fleeing like mad, meaning you can either chase them to wipe them out and risk stretching your forces too much, or let them go and consolidate. It's much more a war of attrition than other RTS. The missions revolve around the capture of strategic points and objectives, plus you can always attack the enemy base and wipe it out. Because of this, I find that often the entire map has something going on in it, whether it's a battle, or units taking cover near objectives, or whatever.

Best 6.95 I ever spent.

Sol Invictus

Erudite
Maybe one of you would like to upload the beta somewhere and PM me the ftp username and password so I can download it? :)

I'm not letting GameSpy have access to my credit card.

fnordcircle

Liturgist
StraitLacedDeviant said:
Downloading now, how big is the beta gameplay timewise.

Not sure I follow the question... The single-player tutorial is good to start off, but after a few games I had pretty much gotten all I would get from the them. The comp AI is set very, very low for those games.

You get the same map, can choose your race and get walked through it all.

MP is much more challenging, especially for me who could never beat anyone but my friends in an RTS. I've gotten several hours of fun in multiplayer.

Monte Carlo

Liturgist
Glad to see someone else recognising the simple brilliance of the Close Combat series games.

I still have, variously, CC3, 4 & 5 campaigns on the go. They really are fine wines; they improve with age as the competiton in the class gets progressively shittier. Also, iIf you appreciate superlative modding, then CC really is the way to go.

I see that new, modern-day CC's are in the works. I am sceptical. I doubt that they will achieve the special beauty of a carefully constructed CC3 flamethrower ambush in the tractor plants of Stalingrad! Doubly so when they recreate US marines versus third world militias :: yawn as random grid square is hit with massive air strike ::

Cheers
MC

Greenskin13

Erudite
Astromarine said:
The Morale system means that long before a squad is completely wiped out it will be fleeing like mad,

Great. I love moral in CC and now I read that surpressing fire will damage moral in W:DoW too. Hopefully, the accuracy of the soldiers won't be too high. I like having that long pause where I see that my men are pinned down but alive. There's that nail bitting moment where I have to ask myself if I should risk another squad to give them support or let the poor bastards have it. It's a real nail bitter. I'm hoping there will also be lots of buildings too in W:DoW so that my squads can take cover and hide for an ambush.

Monte Carlo said:
I doubt that they will achieve the special beauty of a carefully constructed CC3 flamethrower ambush in the tractor plants of Stalingrad!

Oh yes, I loved the flamethrower. It easily could turn the tide in building-to-building firefights. Not to mention it was hilariouss to see toasted troops running out a building.

The new CC game looks... different. You only get to control 4 guys instead of a bunch of squads, so it looks like no more epic sweeps of assault teams. But they are keeping the moral system, so that's a plus I guess. Still, it's too early for me to write anything in stone.

Played the tutorial for hours with each race. Have to say I like the game. As you said the Ai is pretty shit in the beta but it was still fun letting them build up loads of units and then wading through them with a blooddrinker or avatar of khaine and just leave him there fighting dozens of orcs.

Couldn't run multiplayer over the weekend since I didn't have net access, still I suck at RTS since I usually just take my time building my base, getting the defences nice and symmetrical. When it goes click crazy and you have to buzz around the map organising resources and buillding like crazy I just get annoyed. I realise thats what RTS are all about but I'll play them however I goddamn please and nuts to you...

DamnElfGirl

Liturgist
I wish all those RTS matching services had a category for us old slowbies. It'd be nice to play against people who were smart opponents but didn't move at a breakneck pace.

If they left the building development times alone but slowed down unit builds, with higher end units SUBSTANTIALLY slower, that would make for a nice leisureley game.

fnordcircle

Liturgist
The single-player skirmish game that will be in the release is probably what I will end up playing unless I get addicted to the MP competition. You're right, it is just more relaxing.

Plus, playing against other players generally ends up being the same build routine over and over as you maximize efficiency. Having never played RTS' online I have to imagine that it gets boring.

It gets really frustrating playing against some people. There is no skill or tactics they just build far faster than you because they have done it a million times and they flood your base before you know what the hell is going on.

So then you're forced to find out where they live and burn their pets, and I don't like to have to do that but it has a lighter jail sentence than actually killing them.

mr. lamat

Liturgist
It gets really frustrating playing against some people. There is no skill or tactics they just build far faster than you because they have done it a million times and they flood your base before you know what the hell is going on.

So then you're forced to find out where they live and burn their pets, and I don't like to have to do that but it has a lighter jail sentence than actually killing them.

that's the exact reason i never took a job teaching english in korea! freaky.

bizarrofrank

Novice
Every time a RTS comes out in a genre or franchise that i like, i always try it. Then 1 hour later I exclaim "Dammit, I hate RTS games!" I guess im only out $6.95. I swear thats the last one im ever going to play. This summer sucks for games...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom