Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

I'm gonna play Oblibibbivion again

Self-Ejected

Brayko

Self-Ejected
Now we're moving goalposts? Sadly, Skyrim fucked up so many things too.

They made the right mechanic fixes for Skyrim, at least they fit the type of game it was going for. Oblivion has by far the worst leveling mechanics of any RPG ever considering the gameplay. They would have been better off ditching leveling mechanics completely and going for improved object finding.

Todd_the_Liar

Novice
Now we're moving goalposts? Sadly, Skyrim fucked up so many things too.

They made the right mechanic fixes for Skyrim, at least they fit the type of game it was going for. Oblivion has by far the worst leveling mechanics of any RPG ever considering the gameplay. They would have been better off ditching leveling mechanics completely and going for improved object finding.

Yes, everything in skyrim is thought out better and the subsystems are integrated better as a whole. It seems when making Oblivion, bethesda was still experimenting with stuff, trying to define the genre and trying things out. Probably why there are so many half-assed, half-implemented, this doesn't make sense things in Oblivion. Bad for people who want a finished well defined product, but great for modders who like to tinker.

Enter Skyrim, bethesda finally figured out who their 'target audience' is -- the dumb drooling retarded console crowd. Much easier now to make a focused product -- just make everything dumber but do dumb well. Now you're stuck with an inflexible system that's much harder to fix. Even without mods, the fucking game eventually gives you save corruption, but with modding it quickly becomes a nightmare. Plus, you're forced to choose mods to install wisely since you'll be locked into a load order you can't change. But that's ok because who cares as long as I can larp around in UNP-BBP-B-CBBA and take screenshots with Orgasmic-Rust-Cinematic-IMMUHSION-ENB!!!

Possibly Retarded The Real Fanboy
:hailcthulhu: [ "All praise the T.Howard" chanted Winnie the Pooh ]

You are not alone Sir, i started replaying it again some days ago [along with "few" basic mods].
Still i wish that we have 72 hours instead 24 to play through all crpgs we want, both older and new and still being able to work and take care of our families . So many titles to play first or again and time pass so fast!

mbv123

Arbiter
Oblivion has gotta be the worst RPG I've played
Boring, generic setting.
Level scaling that punishes you for progressing the game.
Pointless exploration across copy pasted dungeons just so you can get a 1 carrot and 10 gold at the chest, at the end of the dungeon.
Horrible faces and graphics. Just a blurry mess whenever you went outdoors. Feels like I'm walking in an oil painting, with everything looking so washed out (coincidence that there's a quest like that)
Horrible voice acting, minus Sean Bean and Patrick Stewart (guess this is where most of the game's budget went to)
Combat is just absolute dogshit.
Worst of all, it was the prototype for the DLC policy that is considered the norm now. Thanks Todd.
I don't understand how anyone can be nostalgic about it, much less find it enjoyable, unless they're suffering from a serious mental retardation.

trimethylsilyl

Educated
Boring, generic setting.
Pointless exploration across copy pasted dungeons just so you can get a 1 carrot and 10 gold at the chest, at the end of the dungeon.
Horrible faces and graphics. Just a blurry mess whenever you went outdoors. Feels like I'm walking in an oil painting, with everything looking so washed out (coincidence that there's a quest like that)
Horrible voice acting, minus Sean Bean and Patrick Stewart (guess this is where most of the game's budget went to)
Worst of all, it was the prototype for the DLC policy that is considered the norm now. Thanks Todd.
I don't understand how anyone can be nostalgic about it, much less find it enjoyable, unless they're suffering from a serious mental retardation.
Sure, I agree that the base game is worse than Morrowind and even Skyrim. However, with mods all those points can be fixed (except the voice acting, which I don't dislike personally). If modded right I think it's almost as good as Morrowind, even though the RPG mechanics will never be as good.

mbv123

Arbiter
Boring, generic setting.
Sure, I agree that the base game is worse than Morrowind and even Skyrim. However, with mods all those points can be fixed (except the voice acting, which I don't dislike personally). If modded right I think it's almost as good as Morrowind, even though the RPG mechanics will never be as good.
No matter how much you polish a turd, it's still a turd. No amount of mods can change that.

mbv123

Arbiter
No matter how much you polish a turd, it's still a turd. No amount of mods can change that.
Cool memes, /v/edditor. How is it still a turd after fixing all the problems you mentioned in your post?
Cause the game is broken and rotten at the core? No matter of shiny graphics will make the game fun. Also not everyone wants to spend dozens of hours modding a game, hoping it won't ctd because some mod #53 isn't compatible with mod #26. I'd just rather play something else.

trimethylsilyl

Educated
Cause the game is broken and rotten at the core? No matter of shiny graphics will make the game fun. Also not everyone wants to spend dozens of hours modding a game, hoping it won't ctd because some mod #53 isn't compatible with mod #26. I'd just rather play something else.
How is it rotten to the core? You mentioned some points, and all those can be fixed. What other parts of the game are broken and unfixable?
And I don't give a fuck about graphics, don't know where you got that from. You were the one who complained about graphics in the first place.
If you spend dozens of hours trying to mod Oblivion and still get CTDs you're literally retarded and should probably spend your time on something less demanding, like washing toilets or carpentry.

ilitarist

Learned
Illiterate Village Idiot
If you need mods to play something then you like something in the vanilla product. Since practically all mods are low quality content and modders tend to throw anything they can think of in their mods - you get the experience of indie game with no balance or taste with elements of AAA gaming. Even the best mods like Civilization 4 Fall from Heaven suffer from this adding comedic characters from popular franchising, using music and icons without any direction, throwing in unbalanced and unneeded mechanics.

Oblivion is too old for this AAA shine to work. Mods are only going to make it a specific customized experience. Like all those anime girls I see in videos demonstrating how Oblivion can be turned into a great game.

Again, if you want to play a good game - go play a good game, don't turn a problematic one into a kitchensink of features that can't properly work with the engine, UI and initial resources. Go make and play mods for better games if you're so inclined so you don't patch subpar content with something made by furries.

Carrion

Arcane
Patron
Those guys aren't really any better than the rest of the game's cast, you just don't really grow to hate their guts since you don't run into them every five minutes. You could give Bethesda the entire cast of Bloodlines, and the end result would still be absolutely horrible because they can't direct their actors for shit.

What other parts of the game are broken and unfixable?
Most of the content and all of the writing, for instance.

Neither Oblivion nor Skyrim can be fixed with mods. Believe me, I tried.

First of all, it's extremely hard to fix a shitty melee combat system. It's much easier with a ranged system, ala Fallout 3 or New Vegas, because there, just by playing around with numbers, you can achieve a lot (namely, remove Bethesda's patended hitpoint bloat). And ranged systems are so simple conceptually (point gun/bow, shoot) that even Bethesda can't fundamentally mess them up.

But for melee combat, no matter how much you play with numbers (which is what most of these combat mods for Oblivion/Skyrim do), you can't fix the underlying problems of retarded design. For instance, any kind of real melee combat is reactive in nature, one guy does this, another guy does that to counter, and so on. But Oblivion/Skyrim combat is fundamentally non-reactive. You just spam attacks, or spam parry/block, there is no interaction built into it. Nothing mods do can fundamentally change that. You have to basically re-code significant parts of the engine and/or replace significant animations/scripts. Modders in general aren't going to be doing that, it is beyond the scope of modding.

Similarly, how can a mod fix up the mediocre writing in Oblivion/Skyrim? The budget level world design and lore? The pathetic world interaction? The lack of any intelligent gameplay? The quest compass? The endless dungeons that are all carbon copies of each other?

Bethesda is like the McDonalds of open world RPGs. Yeah, they will sell a lot of this crap, but if you want something good, go play Gothic 1/2, Risen 1, Fallout: New Vegas, or Witcher 3.

Beastro

Arcane
Those guys aren't really any better than the rest of the game's cast,

Bean tried, but he more often than not just sounded like he was reading lines off a script. Stewart though made the Emperor sound like a confused old man rambling on about one of his disillusions to you as if he was broken out of an old folks home by some kidnappers.

Except Witcher 3's combat is shitty too.

Witcher 3's combat is not perfect by any means, but it is miles ahead of Bethesda combat. They understood (took them 3 games to get there) that combat has to be reactive. So you dodge and parry enemies, which is reactive and involving and fun, instead of Bethesda's mindless spam.

,but if you want something good, go play Gothic 1/2 ... Witcher 3.

But I want to play RPGs, not action adventure games.

But what is an rpg?

but if you want something good, go play Gothic 1/2, Risen 1, Fallout: New Vegas, or Witcher 3
Please Porky , you are not giving Witcher 1-2 enough credit.

We are talking open world RPGs here, W1 and W2 are not that. Also, I try to mention this in every thread I post in, but W2 is terribad.

Self-Ejected

buru5

Very Grumpy Dragon
Patron
If you need mods to play a game, you're admitting the game is shit.

This. So many people make excuses for Oblivion and Skyrim. If you enjoy the game, that's one thing, but if you claim to hate it and say that it suddenly becomes great with mods then you're just fooling yourself. Mods, at best, slightly improve systems and greatly improve graphics (which is not a reason to play vidja imo). And it gives Bethesda an excuse to make unfinished garbage.

ilitarist

Learned
Illiterate Village Idiot
14740870966570.jpg

Sjukob

Arcane
We are talking open world RPGs here, W1 and W2 are not that. Also, I try to mention this in every thread I post in, but W2 is terribad.
It's not just about your opinion on witcher 1-2 , it's more about you thinking , that the third one is better , which is wrong .

It's not just about your opinion on witcher 1-2 , it's more about you thinking , that the third one is better , which is wrong .

The third is quantifiably better than the first two, and it's not even close. The second is a terrible 40 hour cut-scene sparingly sprinkled with some shitty rolling that passes for gameplay which some people try to excuse with "oh but muh branching plot" as if that means anything compared to the shit that every system is in that game. The first game is sort of a flawed gem, some good parts, but it's not even close to the third in terms of quality. This is not something subjective, you can literally go down the line and point out how every major element is better in the third game, while the proponents of the first two will throw out some minor elements like alchemy or Iorveth's sex appeal.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom