Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

I'm gonna play Oblibibbivion again

TheHeroOfTime

Arcane
214d1437f26bf015f2109acbafaca0ffd0158ad4_hq.jpg

That's right. You are reading it well. I'm gonna replay this game agin and you are all invited to follow my retarded thoughts about this dead horse.

Oblivion was a game that I enjoyed back it time, but that had a couple of things that pissed me off. First of all, of course, level scaling. A thing that trivialices both enemy encounters and rewards in a very bad way. Not allowing you to fight against powerfull enemies like the creatures from the Oblivion planes and even random trolls. In terms of player stats and equipmment variety, the games was simplfied regarding to Morrowind, but that's a thing that I don't find very crucial. In terms of soundtrack I remember some themes, it fulfilled. And in terms of visual it was a kind of disaster. While I think it has a pretty decent art direction the game has some visuals decisions that spoils the overall experience. That fucking bloom effect was absolutely horrible in some interiors with the cooperation of the high saturated colors of the game. Bloom works when you have smooth colors and a proper lighting engine.

So you can see that my olds thoughts about the game aren't too negative in comparison with the classic, old hivemind of the Codex. I always considered Oblivion has a good game, but with clearly defects. A game that shows that it started has a more complex sequel to Morrowind but that was simplificating over the time of development to fit in the obsolete console market of the time. And while I had a lot of good moments with it, I think it's the worse hiking simulator made by Bethesda.

So, what you think? Will I change my opinion about the game? I'm a Bethestard? Maybe I should install some mods to improve the experience, like nude mods and bloom disabler?

dclis.jpg

Last edited:

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
Meanwhile I haven't played Wasteland 2 YET.

It's much better than Oblivion. At least I got myself to finish that one, and I hated the setting (ironically it feels like a Fallout rip-off, when it is the series that inspired Fallout to begin with).

A horse of course

I know some very good mods that will improve your gameplay experience (and immersion).

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
The first set appears to be a marked improvement over the second one. Still quite bad tbh.

Beastro

Arcane
It's a fun game with mods. Make sure to fix those derpy faces tho:
44676-0-1433061213.jpg

WTF for? One of the only good things about that stupid engine, especially Oblivions take on it, is moving those sliders all over the place to see what kind of fucked up freak you can make to shit on every dramatic moment in the games.

My play through at release hada two foot long, half a foot wide face, alabaster white on a Dunmer with shades of blue and purple in places as if he got beat the fuck up with a massive nose, beady eyes and massive lips. It's hilarious too in Oblivion just to see how contorted helmets become to fit on the heads you can make.

One sec, I might have my old Xfire screenshots somewhere..... nope, forgot the back ups they put out didn't go back that far or something stupid. :(

Last edited:

ilitarist

Learned
Illiterate Village Idiot
I think Oblivion aged very poorly. Morrowind too but we hadn't got another Morrowind since. Skyrim waw improved Oblivion minus class system.

So I expect OP to find his nostalgic memories faded.

Todd_the_Liar

Novice
Oblivion only aged poorly if you don't know how to mod it. Most skyrimtards who call themselves 'modders' are in reality nothing but glorified file copiers. Vanilla assrim looks just as bad as vanilla oblivion by today's standards but now there is whole bunch of utilities like MO, NMM that do the file copying for retards that think skyrim is goo.

ilitarist

Learned
Illiterate Village Idiot
It aged poorly not just in regards of graphics, but in UI, combat system (still looks like Morrowind but without any complex math beside it), NPC design, simplistic dungeons and so on and so on.

I don't know, maybe you can fix that with mods, but then again you could play some game not made by kitchen-sink development model in a spare time.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
NPC design, simplistic dungeons and so on and so on.

This, along with the retarded level scaling and trash loot are this game's biggest sins. Good luck fixing dungeon design!

Skyrim, while being a bit too convenient with shortcuts in most dungeons wrapping all the way back to the beginning area, vastly improved the area design and even loot.

Todd_the_Liar

Novice
Snu's dungeons, better dungeons, Oblivion XP, so many to choose from.

The more I talk to skyrim cunts the more I'm convinced they really are retards who can't even handle simple file copying so they regurgitate the same arguments -- the dungeons, the level scaling blahh blah.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom