Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

If you could help design TES6; what would you do?

KateMicucci

Arcane
Fighting bigger monsters and finding more loot based on your character's level is level scaling by any reasonable definition- the world revolves around the player's level. Morrowind's level scaling was better implemented than Oblivion's, but don't say that Morrowind doesn't have it just because it's less noticeable and bad.

Iznaliu

Arbiter
Fighting bigger monsters and finding more loot based on your character's level is level scaling by any reasonable definition- the world revolves around the player's level. Morrowind's level scaling was better implemented than Oblivion's, but don't say that Morrowind doesn't have it just because it's less noticeable and bad.

This is good advice to heed.

deuxhero

Arcane
Going to be relatively un-ambitious here both for the sake of practicality and getting listened to.

Under the hood:
No paid mods
Look at all the script extender functions mods requiring that use (A big one I remember is Morrowind couldn't find out if an item was equipped short of scripting the item itself without a script extender) and make sure they are implemented in the base game.
Hire competent coders and ditch the current engine
Variable height for player character with working animations for it. Proper implemenation of various body scalers
You can hold shields in your right hand
Gothic or Dragon's Dogma style jump and climb
Quests have directions with markers being optional.

Mechanically:
Not shit combat. Mount and Blade (block and attack directions, damage is dependent upon player speed and body part hit) with a bit of Dark Messiah (kick, battlefield control spells)
"New" race: Akavarii blooded Imperial (First Pocket Guide to the Empire mentioned them). Same stats as normal Imperial, but look "Asian". Allows for claims the game is adding a new race for the hyping and is trivial to implement.
Equipment is now broken up into helmet, torso, legs (boots+pants), left arm (Pauldron+gauntlet) and right arm, plus clothing under it. This minimizes concerns over a character's armor models conflicting and, more importantly, with location damage and swing direction there's a real reason for it (you could favor left armor over right expecting right handed enemies to hit you the most there, or you could favor right while using a shield to protect your attacking arm).
Attributes
No level scaling
Level-up works like GCD for Morrowind: As you level up skills the attributes attached to them (and HP with them) increase. After so many increases to an attribute you get a perk. Level only exists as an internal thing to determine (for example) if NPCs actually think a player character is .
Class gives quicker level ups for relevant skills and a few bonus perks for relevant skills.
Skills are like Skyrim, but adding acrobatics (unarmored+athletics+acrobatics+hand to hand) for thief, another school of magic, and Athletics (Climb+Hand to hand)
Attributes are Strength, Agility, Endurance, Intelligence, Willpower (includes Personality)
Polearms. Marksman now has throwing weapons and crossbows again.

Story:
No "Chosen One" bullshit. Only exception is part of one quest line where someone is trying to con you by feeding you bullshit about how important you are.
Opening is short and to the point. No hour long tutorial dungeon.
Player character is going to the game's region to take a particular job. For the sake of example an archeological dig, with the exact position never specified and left for the player to think of per character (could be a laborer, scholar, manager ect.).
You got transport by signing up as a guard for a prisoner transport (starting equipment is determined based on questionnaire like Daggerfall, picking based on class or buying from an Arcanum style starting shop)
Basic and optional tutorial is tracking down an escapee mid-route in a small enclosed area.
When the player gets to the job site it's gone thanks to some external influence, like the dig has been shut down thanks to attacks by something.
Parts of solving this problem all attract the attention of a local political power (and the PC learns the basic concepts of each) who invites the player to work for them. The questline branches here. The PC can decline them all and stay as a archeologist with a short "ending" that describes what happens to the region if the region powers are left to their devices, then cutting back to before the choice was made.
The first quest of each faction is telling the player to gain public goodwill/wealth/a cover/something that amounts to an excuse to let the player fuck off and sidequest as much as they want (Like Morrowind did).

edit: Actually make the dig site's "problem" into "problems": They're being attacked by something, the local bureaucracy is holding up paper work ect.. Each quest can then serve to introduce a faction.

Last edited:

YES!

Hi, I'm Roqua
Dumbfuck
No don't give up Roqua

Its too late. The console general gamer fans have overtaken this site. Seriously, I liked when people where at least smart enough to fuck around with, regardless of how bad their rpg tastes were. There is no reason to post on an rpg site dominated by general console game fans who don't even play serious rpgs. Without the subforum for actual rpg fans to regulate who can add to the discussion there is no need to even attempt to talk shop.

Read only the last page and you are full of shit.

I would only add a transgender protagonist, a cis guild, and an item to switch sex.

Then dragons that have both male and female genitalia trying to split from de ader dragunz and asking for help against the fascism propaganden

Alkarl

Learned
Ok, I'll take a swing at this:

Survival/Hardcore mode

Multiple/Varied starts that are defined by race/class and keep it short and sweet

No big budget voice actor, just hire enough decent ones

As for skills, can the level by use shit. Force players to purchase skill increases from trainers. This will incentivise questing and putting certain factions at odds with each other will force players to make hard, practical choices about their character role and build.

As for player-role, make it faction based. Let us pick how to approach the main quest, for example, siding with the Thalmor, or Empire, or Daedra. Let the world state evolve based on which faction was chosen.

If you absolutely can't shake the "chosen one" protag nonsense, then make it ascendant: we start as a run of the mill peasant but by the end we have become a new divine (Empire), new aedra/ancestor (Thalmor), or new Daedric Prince (Daedra).

Axe smithing, and bring back powerful artifacts. I shouldn't need to explain why this is necessary.

No level-scaling. Hand place encounters and loot. Or, at the very least, make the scaling wide and loose, but cap various enemy types; no full daedric/glass armor bandits etc.

As for combat, give enemies more varied tactics. Let them flee towards allies when health is low or odds are unfavorable. Let them buff and debuff. Bring back spears and other weapon types, and various armor pieces.

As for dungeons, in my experience any time Bethesda tries to be clever with dungeon puzzles, a bug or some moon logic typically throws a wrench in the plans. I can understand why they decided to keep it simple after morrowind, but that doesnt mean they need to be all samey and straight/looping paths. Make some submerged ruins, maybe a ship graveyard which requires both underwater and over land travel. Make a dungeon that is a vertical climb/descent. Make a dungeon where changing things on one floor manipulates things on another. Basically, put in some effort you lazy cucks. No more matching hieroglyph puzzles!

In all honesty though, I don't give a damn what they do with this series. It's always been shit despite some interesting design choices in some of the earlier entries. Based on Fallout 4 we can already infer a lot about the next entry, most importantly though, it wont be worth anyones time.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
You guys know this thread is a total waste of time right? Bethesda don't want to make a real RPG, they want to make crappy dudebro xbox games for cheesepuff munching teens. That is where the money is.

any time Bethesda tries to be clever with dungeon puzzles, a bug or some moon logic typically throws a wrench in the plans. I can understand why they decided to keep it simple after morrowind

So simple the entire Skyrim has the same shitty fish/owl/lizard puzzle in every McDungeon.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
It's fun to be armchair devs, just don't get your hopes up :P Bethesda dumb things down more and more, and their profits go up and up. Their philosophy is set in stone now.

DosBuster

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
Codex USB, 2014
I never get why they insist on depicting whole provinces with 5 cities having 20 inhabitants each, it makes the world really fucking small when 1/10 of it is the size of my backwater town, Gothic 3 had same problem for me.

Performance issues, mainly in terms that having lots of npcs pathfind will kill most computer. For example, Cities: Skylines can have up to a million agents of which 65k can move around at once without killing your computer. However, they negate a lot of performance costs by having each AI on a path that is determined upon spawn, so if when they spawn there is currently a traffic jam the ai will be given a path that takes this into consideration. However, this method is flawed because once the ai is spawned the path cannot be changed, so if a traffic jam were to suddenly happen all AI that were spawned before it would be unaware.

Now, in Bethesda games every npc in a town is dynamically pathfinding when the player is in the area. They have points to go to, but how they get there is figured out in real time, it's also why you see pathfinding bugs or npcs randomly teleporting because that's just the realities of a real-time pathfinding system in these types of games.

DosBuster

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
Codex USB, 2014
No level-scaling. Hand place encounters and loot. Or, at the very least, make the scaling wide and loose, but cap various enemy types; no full daedric/glass armor bandits etc.

They already did that in Skyrim, each enemy has a level cap, some don't even scale like Giants are always level 32.

Also, Makabb they're not bringing back procedural generation.

If you want hints on what Bethesda are doing for their future games look at their jobs site for Rockville and Montreal. It'll give you an idea of what's going on in at least the engine side of things.

Iznaliu

Arbiter
If you want hints on what Bethesda are doing for their future games look at their jobs site for Rockville and Montreal. It'll give you an idea of what's going on in at least the engine side of things.

Most people can't be bothered doing that sort of stuff.

Citizen

Most important thing - i would add back a COLOVIAN FUR HELM. I was shocked by the lack of this prestigious item in Oblivion. Basically, it was my biggest concern with the game.
tumblr_oq2u7qKzR71siv9hfo1_250.jpg

Iznaliu

Arbiter
Most important thing - i would add back a COLOVIAN FUR HELM. I was shocked by the lack of this prestigious item in Oblivion. Basically, it was my biggest concern with the game.

TES6 won't have a helmet slot; so that will be impossible.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom