Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

If you could help design TES6; what would you do?

Citizen

Imagine beth releasing a new TES with Morrowind or even Daggerfall style exploration/quests: no questcompass, no markers, just a simple map and a few vague hints from npcs, with proper stats, feats and huge, dangerous, easy-to-get-lost dungeons... Then imagine all the consoleturds refunding the game fifteen minutes after the start and driving beth to a bankruptcy. RPGs give you the incline, casual hikesims give you the money.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
So true. Although companies with that much money and power could have found the good middle ground. They failed miserably at that.

Iznaliu

Arbiter
So true. Although companies with that much money and power could have found the good middle ground. They failed miserably at that.

They don't care; they're rolling in cash.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Make it in barren desert!We had greeny,strange ashen shit and snow.It is time for piss coloured sand!Oh also killing elfs is always fun,so the war with the tall bastards.

Iznaliu

Arbiter
Make it in barren desert!We had greeny,strange ashen shit and snow.It is time for piss coloured sand!Oh also killing elfs is always fun,so the war with the tall bastards.

Have the elves put you in a trash compactor?

adrix89

Arbiter
Why are there so many of my country here?
This is not so much a design of TES6 as it is a rant on Skyrim.

Combat:
If you are going to have action combat for fuck's sake implement proper stamina system like in Dark Souls. Heck you can even do something interesting like Nioh with the ki system. Instantly guzzling down potions is not a fucking proper stamina system. Potions should only affect your stamina recharge rate. Also no more instantaneous eating and drinking, it should be interpretable.
Have attacks that do AoE damage from the start. Don't lock it behind a perk. Your AI and combat is not advanced enough to handle swarms of enemies well.
Implement proper fucking dodging mechanics.
If you are going to have flying fucking dragons or big ass ogres for fuck's sake implement a grab and climb mechanic like in Dragon's Dogma.
Implement proper stats and damage types for weapons, its shouldn't be just one overall number, have some proper trade-offs between weapons.
Same goes for your shitty armor.
Implement proper AI, I hate to say this but you can actually get some interesting combat encounters if you properly set up some encounter templates with enemies having their own roles,
the magic system is that flexible. But that is only if the AI is competent enough. Add in more movement restricting spells like earth walls or fire pillars. Have the classic trinity setup
with tanks at the front and rangers at the back,healers healing and rogues flanking and backstabbing you in the shadows.

Quests and shit:
No seriously hire this guy: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL-U2vBF9GrHGORYfnj6DOAFN1FgEzy9UA
He is singlehandedly doing the work you should have been doing with the civil war and factions and AI.
Have other adventurers that have the same drive to improve and get better gear that you can interact with and meet in quests that you can work together or be hired by the other side as your enemies. They can be also much more powerful then you and wipe the floor with you if you don't do your research on where they are and stumble upon them in quests. You also wouldn't be the only fucking thief in the world that can steal shit, in other words they can steal your shit and you can hunt them down and capture them like a bounty hunter. They can also be your companions.
Have at least a party of 2 companions with the maximum of 2. Be able to command them. They should not die in battle if you are still living. With this you can have quests that can have more complex requirements.
With this you can also have more demanding dungeons.
About leveling, the perk system was decent enough but implement some actual costs, don't make lockpicking free.
No more level scaling. Implement zones with their own list of enemies and power. For the factions their forces can improve just like you improve in the game over time. They should also have their top level powerhouses and you should only be able to face them at endgame. If you want to fight them you can only fight the encampments of the appropriate power level to you, or fight in a raid of another faction and be on the sidelines.
Run the fuck away. If you see a powerful monster or enemy encounter in a zone you can just run the fuck away and detour around. Similarly if you are too powerful the enemies can just fuck away when they see you. If the raid that you joined had all their forces decimated you can just run the fuck away. If your companions got knocked out in the fight while you run away they can be captured and you will have to eventually rescue them. If you have LoversLab installed some other things could happen to your companions.

For the next setting in the world you can continue the storyline where Skyrim left off and bring genocide on the elves. Maybe this time you are going to get things right with the whole war and factions and shit.

Hopefully the mods should eventually fix everything with how Skyrim keeps being constantly rereleased.
Why make a new game when you can just make the community make it?

Last edited:

KateMicucci

Arcane
Consider firing Emil Pagliarulo. He's been the lead designer since Oblivion and he wrote the Skyrim thieves guild questline and Fallout 3 and 4 main quests.

But I think that the most important change would be to Leveling and Loot
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emil_Pagliarulo
Somebody mentioned removing leveling altogether from the game. I support that but unironically. That hamster wheel has outlived its usefulness.

TES could take a lesson from Terraria. Terraria is a similar game to TES in that it's a action dungeon crawler with no real mechanics for C&C. Terraria manages to have strong character progression without using any stats or leveling adding health and mana by finding crystals. All of the character's various abilities come from their gear. There is no level scaling because there are no levels, and fighting more challenging enemies is rewarded with better gear. It's an elegant, self-balancing system where progress is neatly linked to a combination of gear and player skill. It wouldn't be a bad thing if TES used a similar system.

Implementing this change would require fixing something that has been broken since Morrowind: Loot. Morrowind had items that were actually strong, and if you found one early in the game you'd feel like a real badass. Oblivion and Skyrim of course everything is leveled so even daedric artifacts are usually pretty crap. There is no greater reward for greater challenges, and there are no greater challenges because everything is level scaled. More powerful weapons and spells simply do not exist anywhere in the game world until your numbers get higher.

Here's how it works in my mind with a hypothetical wizard character. You start off with a few crap spells. There are more powerful spells for sale, but you can't afford them, and NPC chatter clues you in that the most powerful spells in the game aren't for sale at all and you'll need to find them.

Since you can't control your stats (outside of maybe finding magic crystals or w/e that increase your health/mana/stamina) and your character strengths are based on gear, you'd rather have spells than swords and armor. That means you can take Mage's Guild quests that are more likely to direct you to the sort of gear that you want. There's still nothing stopping you from going to random caves except that the challenge might be too great and you might end up finding a magic sword instead of a magic wand. You can still sell it and buy a magic wand.
Speaking of magic swords, they've been broken for two games now! Putting an enchantment on a sword makes it do extra damage until the charge runs out, sort of like loading bullets into a gun. So you hit the mudcrab with your Sword of Defibrilation seven times, notice the charge bar is empty, so you hit the reload butt- oh, no, you pause combat, go into your inventory, select a soul gel, and apply it against the sword, hit the mudcrab seven more times and then repeat the process every single time you run out of charges. Not to mention the labor involved in filling the soulgems in the first place.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
Having level scaling is essentially the same as having no levels. Personally I don't care either way, for me the fact that the combat is complete shit is far above everything else on my list of priorities. They need to decide if they want to make action games or RPGs, because this mix of the two is just bad. If I am going to play an action game, I want something like a first person Street Fighter or something, combos, flying around the screen, explosions, ultimates, etc. I want to aim the sword strikes or shoot fireballs that blast enemies into spikes or off cliffs like Dark Messiah etc. It needs to be fun not retarded and boring left mouse button clicking crap.

Or if they want to make an RPG, I need deep tactical combat.

Until they do a good job of either of those things, the entire series is worthless to me. The dialogue and questing is shit too, and the dungeons are boring and simplistic, the items in the game are forgettable crap, etc. But all of this is far less important than the combat. If it had amazing combat I could live with all the other bad stuff.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Implementing this change would require fixing something that has been broken since Morrowind

Something else has been broken since Morrowind: Bethesda.
Only difference between Morrowind and Oblivion is the terrain.Morrowind is loved because it is in a strange an unique world,in both game you have to jump around doing fetch and kill quests.The biggest differences are the no dice roll combat and the fast travelling.

Jarmaro

Liturgist
Only difference between Morrowind and Oblivion is the terrain.Morrowind is loved because it is in a strange an unique world,in both game you have to jump around doing fetch and kill quests.The biggest differences are the no dice roll combat and the fast travelling.

The most retarded sentence this year.
:retarded:

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
Imagine beth releasing a new TES with Morrowind or even Daggerfall style exploration/quests: no questcompass, no markers, just a simple map and a few vague hints from npcs, with proper stats, feats and huge, dangerous, easy-to-get-lost dungeons... Then imagine all the consoleturds refunding the game fifteen minutes after the start and driving beth to a bankruptcy.

Win-Win I'd say.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
I think Skyrim was a step in the right direction with the caveat that you're not going to see anything like Morrowind again. The 'perk' system is an improvement over the older stat system for the type of game the Elder Scrolls series has 'devolved' into. Stuff it needs: more mutually exclusive faction/quest/plot choices, better (less generic) dungeons/keeps/etc even if it comes at the cost of less of them, improved/more intricate combat especially working on stealthy characters more. Rather than just being able to 're-hide' you should have to have some kind of smoke power or vanish like in Thief games.

jungl

Augur
I make a more low key open world game like Daggerfall except with modern graphics and Assassin creed black flag sailing. Add way more interesting quests with much more option to play evil then previous elder scroll games. Help necromancers kidnap people or orc warlord take over a small island and fight off fighter guild members and paladin orders. Reputations in different provinces so if you want to be known as a good guy somewhere and a bad guy somewhere else you can.

Quillon

Arcane
Skyrim shoulda been without dragons and be all about civil war. Twas the most enjoyable part of the game for me, there was even an armistice meeting with the heads of factions for impending doom...lol fuck, did game of thrones showrunners rip skyrim off too? :P

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Skyrim shoulda been without dragons and be all about civil war. Twas the most enjoyable part of the game for me, there was even an armistice meeting with the heads of factions for impending doom...lol fuck, did game of thrones showrunners rip skyrim off too? :P
The civil war was shit because you couldn't become the high king.

MilesBeyond

Cipher
Easy. You know what the one thing Skyrim did really really well? It had the best damn stealth gameplay of any RPG I've ever played. No, I'm not being ironic. It's the first and only RPG I've ever seen where pickpocketing is actually a fun part of gameplay rather than a tedious save-scumming chore that you're better off ignoring. Sneaking was fun and actually felt somewhat kinda-sorta almost logical-ish. The combat boosts to stealth were ridiculously OP but that was part of the fun too.

So, clearly they need to capitalize on that.

1. Make the game all about the stealth. Screw fighters and mages, go play something else for that. Stealth, stealth, stealth.
2. Make the enemies much stronger than you to encourage sneaking around instead of just knifing everything in your path.
3. Get rid of skills. They're cool, sure, but the thing is once you've maxed Sneak in Skyrim you can literally jump up and down in front of someone and they still won't see you. This makes the game boring.
4. To compensate for getting rid of skills, give the player an arsenal of cool gear they can use to circumvent obstacles.
5. Open world gameplay can be fun, but it's not good for stealth. It gets pretty boring sneaking around an open countryside or breaking into a peasant's house for like three gold. So instead, replace the open world with tightly designed levels, full of traps and guards and exciting things to steal.
6. Tell the story in cinematics between the levels, but make sure to do a lot of worldbuilding and storytelling in the levels themselves, through conversations, letters, and the like.
7. Blank protagonists are all well and good, but it's easier to tell a compelling story if you give the protagonist a name and personality - and if they speak. We could, hypothetically, call this protagonist something like "Garrett."
8. Toss in a dash of steampunk or whatever idk

There. You'll be left with a much better game.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Shit like 'becoming King' is what I hate most about a lot of games these days. I don't like these wish-fulfillment simulators where you become t3H chosen one and all powerful. It's much more interesting to be a merc-for-hire. By doing so you don't have to throw fifty dragons at the player in order to present a challenge.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Shit like 'becoming King' is what I hate most about a lot of games these days. I don't like these wish-fulfillment simulators where you become t3H chosen one and all powerful. It's much more interesting to be a merc-for-hire. By doing so you don't have to throw fifty dragons at the player in order to present a challenge.
In game in which you are the chosen one is illogical that you can''t become the king.Also i n most rpgs old and new you play a chosen one.You can't really make an epic story if your character is John the hotdog seller.

Jugashvili

管官的官
Patron
Codex 2013
I'd say fuck gameplay, do something like Jodorowsky's Dune (well, what it would have been), rustle up a bunch of avant-garde and bullshitty artists and writers and provide them with some coaching from the arch-bullshitter, MK, get their crazy ideas about gameplay, storytelling and worldbuilding and then give it to sane people for them to make something feasible out of it with today's tech. It would get panned by critics on day one but would become a cult classic over time.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom