Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter ICY: Frostbite Edition

Owlish

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Douchebag! Village Idiot Repressed Homosexual Possibly Retarded Edgy Shitposter
Yeah, go back to whining about how you don't get free money to make video games because people don't want to support your trite writing and phony CnC.

OwNathan

Innervoid Interactive
Developer
That's how smart who is? What does that have to do with what I said? Kudos to you for pointing out how tryhard you are to show how not racist you are, I guess. Hardly the same scenario as I what I said and it makes sense that you would team up with them. It's a net gain to your group with little risk. Unless you're saying that you don't actually have an option to tell them to beat it?
That was a joke, I thought it was clear, but probably my english is not that good. You know, Carlos, a spanish name, getting into your family, getting your women. Well, maybe it wasn't fun after all.

And no, I won't reply to some cherry picked data. I won't change your mind, you won't change your mind, and everyone will be just bored by our pointless discussion. I don't think discussing this matter will ever bring us somewhere.

Also, Hungary is not famous for its wonderful coastline.

Owlish

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Douchebag! Village Idiot Repressed Homosexual Possibly Retarded Edgy Shitposter
That's how smart who is? What does that have to do with what I said? Kudos to you for pointing out how tryhard you are to show how not racist you are, I guess. Hardly the same scenario as I what I said and it makes sense that you would team up with them. It's a net gain to your group with little risk. Unless you're saying that you don't actually have an option to tell them to beat it?
That was a joke, I thought it was clear, but probably my english is not that good. You know, Carlos, a spanish name, getting into your family, getting your women. Well, maybe it wasn't fun after all.

And no, I won't reply to some cherry picked data. I won't change your mind, you won't change your mind, and everyone will be just bored by our pointless discussion. I don't think discussing this matter will ever bring us somewhere.

Easy solution
4ag6Xy8.jpg

daveyd

Savant
Well, I backed ICY on Indiegogo and didn't play the game for very long because some things seemed wonky (particularly the traveling IIRC) so I decided to wait for updates. But I have been excited ever since hearing about the Remastered edition as I think the game shows a lot of potential, as does Innervoid. I would love for your company to succeed so that we might someday get to play Zaharia (or any other CRPG that doesn't take place in fantasy / (pseudo) medieval Western Europe for that matter!).

OwNathan

Innervoid Interactive
Developer
Even if we'll consider working on something medieval/fantasy, we won't ever aim for something dull and trivial. We have several settings ideas in our dropbox, some are quite original, others aren't but we would put a lot of work in them to make them feel unique. Dragon Age's fantasy world is not that bad (even if it mixes LOTR with GoT) but it's ultimately lacking its own identity in my opinion, while even The Witcher 3, despite its commercial aims, showed us a much more interesting fantasy world, with unique vibes and personality.

But rest assured that 95% of our setting ideas are not even close to the standard fantasy, so we'll likely choose something unique, even if only a little.

daveyd

Savant
Even if we'll consider working on something medieval/fantasy, we won't ever aim for something dull and trivial. We have several settings ideas in our dropbox, some are quite original, others aren't but we would put a lot of work in them to make them feel unique. Dragon Age's fantasy world is not that bad (even if it mixes LOTR with GoT) but it's ultimately lacking its own identity in my opinion, while even The Witcher 3, despite its commercial aims, showed us a much more interesting fantasy world, with unique vibes and personality.

But rest assured that 95% of our setting ideas are not even close to the standard fantasy, so we'll likely choose something unique, even if only a little.

I also think having a rarely used setting is something that will help an indie RPG stand out from the slew of high fantasy titles. And perhaps we can help you come up with a better title for your next RPG.

Btw, have you ever reached out to GOG about selling the DRM-free version of Icy there? I created a wishlist entry a couple years ago. Once you have the Remastered beta ready you should contact them. This kind of old school adventure game / CRPG should do well there.

Last edited by a moderator:

OwNathan

Innervoid Interactive
Developer

I also think having a rarely used setting is something that will help an indie RPG stand out from the slew of high fantasy titles. And perhaps we can help you come up with a better title for your next RPG.

Btw, have you ever reached out to GOG about selling the DRM-free version of Icy there? I created a wishlist entry a couple years ago. Once you have the Remastered beta ready you should contact them. This kind of old school adventure game / CRPG should do well there.
I thought the same, but apparently it's not that simple. The vast majority of so called hardcore videogamers are mostly casual gamers that won't simply put much effort into discovering anything that seems too new, too original. On the other side, the market is full of nearly identical stuff and managing to have a unique and distinctive flavor can be a great advantage. I have nothing but my personal opinion, but what I think is that without some solid investments on the marketing side both a classic and a completely original products are doomed to fail when compared to games with a similar budger. In the first case the game is unable to find space on its own, drowing in a brown sea of creative mediocrity; the latter one will hardly peak the interest of casual gamers without some good marketing pointing out its qualities, such people only played a few games and what's boring, repetitive, and overused for us is fresh and new for them.

While I know that there are several exceptions to what I said I still think that a moderate approach is the best, after all we're starting to see many peculiar AAA productions and today an AAA game need a budget of at least 50 millions to be developed, without marketing. Far Cry Primal didn't impress me as a game, aside from a couple nice moments, but it's not another standard clone of Call Of Duty. Horizon Zero Dawn has a kinda strange setting. We are seing some more creativity after years of dull clones, even in other media, so people may be ready for something a little unconventional. Even if, truth must be said, those games are scrupulously assembled to have a smooth beginning, something capable of allowing the player to slowly discover things.

What I'm saying is that for Indie RPGs going for a good compromise may be the best choice: offer something familiar and mix it with something new, players will have some basic knowledge to be used or bias that will guide them, at the same time with a good writing you have a chance to experiment and deliver something unique. For other genres strange things may be easier to see, in a platform game settled in a unique world you don't risk to have the dreaded, hated, boring info dumping. You don't have to explain a setting, game rules, a story, several characters at the same time and you don't force the player to say things and make choice based on partial knowledge. And putting a player is such position could be a bad thing: the first time I played Torment I was young and its slow paced and strange beginning made me abandon the game, but the second time I knew what to expect, I remember lore details and I had one of the best roleplaying experiences of my life, with some narrative peaks I still feel kinda emotional about.

As a RPG lover I'd agree with you for something unique, something crazy, something awesome. As a developer who is going to take loans to create a game, I need to carefully plan things and ensure that enough people will play our game to keep us afloat. The real challenge will be trying to do both, let's see if we learned something from our previous mistakes.

EDIT: about GOG, we already have them in mind and we want the game on their store for personal reasons, I subscribed on that store 11 years ago, so we're definitely trying.

Last edited by a moderator:
We are seing some more creativity after years of dull clones, even in other media, so people may be ready for something a little unconventional. Even if, truth must be said, those games are scrupulously assembled to have a smooth beginning, something capable of allowing the player to slowly discover things.[/QUOTE]

And I loved the beginning of Gothic so much :(

Project: Eternity
I didnt realize you can see GD without being logged in. That aside one thing bothered me:
That part is mostly self inflicted; a lot of migrants could be stopped if western nations stopped giving them ferry services and prosecuted NGOs doing same.

OwNathan

Innervoid Interactive
Developer
:necro:

So, how's it going?

A little slower than expected, because we didn't expect the new programmer to put his wife, who is a graphic designer, on redoing all the UI. The game now has a better look, things are clearer, everything works a little better.

We're now polishing stuff since everything we had to do is done, we will soon record videos for another Greenlight campaign, becauseour publisher thinks is the best way to handle it, and then release as soon as everything will be nice and shiny. We're mostly focusing on the combat system right now, it needs to be properly balanced. Hard to define a precise release date: maybe a month will be more than enough, maybe we'll need two, we'd like to release a nicely polished game this time.

Does it make sense to publish a winter themed game in the middle of a spring? People are fed up with winter in spring. Publish it in the summer in the middle of the worst heat and people will love it.

OwNathan

Innervoid Interactive
Developer
I wouldn't really know. Also I'll be already drowning in my own sweat in a couple months, so I guess it depends on where you lives and how things evolve with climate change and stuff like that.

Self-Ejected

dream expert

Self-Ejected
We're now polishing stuff since everything we had to do is done, we will soon record videos for another Greenlight campaign, becauseour publisher thinks is the best way to handle it, and then release as soon as everything will be nice and shiny. We're mostly focusing on the combat system right now, it needs to be properly balanced. Hard to define a precise release date: maybe a month will be more than enough, maybe we'll need two, we'd like to release a nicely polished game this time.

1. So this will be a completely new EE version separate from the original?
2. Will owners of the original have to buy the new version?

OwNathan

Innervoid Interactive
Developer

1. So this will be a completely new EE version separate from the original?
2. Will owners of the original have to buy the new version?
We're going to publish a new game if possible, not only because it should help in terms of sales but also because it is actually a new game, we exploded all the old source code and redid evrything from scratch. Old owners will have the new one for free, how is not clear now: we may remove the old ICY from the store but keep updating it, but we could also be able to send a free version of the new one to old owners. It's not clear how we will do it, but it is certain that we'll find a way to do it.

Lostpleb

Learned
Icy hit all the right notes for me. It's tough to say why, but I enjoyed every minute of it - getting my revenge on the legendary mercenaries felt about as satisfying as deciding which faction I should ally with for the final assault scenario.

Just goes to show that even in a post-apocalyptic setting... there is always someone pulling the strings. I'm down for a sequel or Enhanced Edition of some sorts. :salute:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=922866886

ICY: Frostbite Edition is the remastered edition of ICY, a narrative-driven post-apocalyptic survival RPG set in a new Ice Age. Create your own character, using a detailed stat system that influences your abilities, then begin your journey of survival across a frozen world, now with completely overhauled and improved gameplay.

A COMPLETELY REMASTERED EXPERIENCE
After nearly two years since the original release of ICY, Inner Void Interactive and Digital Tribe Games are proud to release ICY: Frostbite Edition, a completely remastered edition of the game. We worked to improve every lacking feature of the original ICY, recreating the game from scratch in Unity 5.
Thanks to the exhaustive feedback received from our community and the experience we gained from the original game, we have improved ICY’s formula in many different ways to let it offer a real survival RPG experience in a cold post-apocalyptic world.
  • A new combat system was developed: deeper, more exciting and more challenging than the original one.
  • The survival experience was overhauled in order to offer more variety.
  • A crafting system was introduced, allowing the player to create new items.
  • The original plot was improved and new quests and characters have been added to create a longer and more satisfying experience.
  • The UI was completely reworked to be clearer and better looking.

SURVIVE THE WHITE WASTELAND

ICY is a narrative-driven post-apocalyptic survival RPG set in a new Ice Age, where your life and the lives of your followers depend on every decision you make. Create your own character, using a detailed stat system that influences your abilities to hunt, travel, scavenge, communicate and lead, then begin a journey of survival across the White Wasteland.

It is up to you to take on the responsibilities of leadership and guide your newfound nomad family in their fight for survival. Do not take your role lightly, for each decision you make, each word you speak, ripples through the life of your community.

Take heed, for you and your group are not alone in this frozen world. In addition to the elements and the wildlife you encounter, there will be loners and bands of miscreants to deal with. Decide carefully on whom to trust and how to react or the snow covered landscape will become your icy tomb.

FEATURES

• Experience an intense story of survival in a unique post-apocalyptic new ice age setting.
  • Influence the plot with your choices, with numerous shades of morality that lead to multiple endings.
  • Lead a group of survivors, each one with different needs, values and ideals.
  • Scavenge for items and hunt for food while facing the challenges of starvation, illness, harsh elements and other bands of survivors.
  • More than 400 pieces of detailed hand-drawn artwork that portray the bleak and dire landscape of the frozen world.
  • Customize your character by choosing how to distribute attribute points among 9 different skills that affect your abilities and experience through the entire game.
  • Enjoy the new combat system offering a mix between a classic turn based combat system and a trading card game.

OwNathan WTF? You need a Greenlight to release a new version of your game that's already on Steam?

OwNathan

Innervoid Interactive
Developer
We thought the publisher could manage to go to some Steam guy and do the same thing that was done for games like Deus Ex: Human Revolution or Kingdoms. Apparently we were wrong and to release it as a different game (and have some exposure) we need to go on Greenlight again.
But the good news is that we're nearly done, we're satisfied with the many changes and it will still be free for previous owners! We should be fine, at least it's a good chance to find some more buyers.

The worst part is how the stress of the GL campaign can affect my crappy, crohn diseased intestine. I guess it's diarrhea time, again. (Yeah, thanks Nathan for the unnecessary info!)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom