Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter ICY: Frostbite Edition

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
:necro:

http://www.innervoid.net/web/icy-remastered-edition/

header.jpg

ICY: Remastered Edition

Hi everyone!

It’s been some time since ICY was released, and we’ve kept supporting it as much as we could, but now we’re announcing our plans to do something more than just a couple of updates: we will create a Remastered Edition of ICY. Not a simple update, not a couple more quests, but a fully reworked edition that will allow ICY to shine at it was meant to.

Why? Because we had to cut out a lot of good ideas due to the lack of funds during development. We also paid for our lack of experience. ICY is not a bad game, but there’s a lot of room for all kinds of improvements, and we want our first game to be as special as when we first imagined it.

Why now? Because we’ve had the luck to meet investors who believe in us and our projects. Remastering ICY is nothing but one of the many things we will do in the future, since we are finally in a better financial situation.

When? Before the end of the year, that’s for sure, but we don’t want to rush anything, and the remastered edition will come out only when it’s ready.

How? We’ll completely rework ICY’s gameplay to offer a better and deeper survival challenge. We will also improve the game’s narrative, following the feedbacks we got over the last months. It won’t be just a slightly improved game – it will be like playing a brand new one that happens to use ICY’s plot (which will be also improved and expanded!)

What about the old ICY? Anyone already in possession of ICY on Steam will receive the Remastered Edition for free, because you people are the ones we have to thank for the fact that Inner Void is still a reality. We owe it to you!

Anyone interested in playing the old ICY will still be able to access it, but we will not support it after the release of the Remastered Edition.

Here’s a detailed list of things we’ll do:
  • We will change the travel system: the player will move between different nodes with his/her party, and each node will hide different locations to explore.
  • We will rework the Hunting and Scavenging systems to be more varied and offer a more interesting challenge.
  • We will completely overhaul the combat, creating a new turn-based system in which the player will be able to choose the overall setup of his/her party and use items and special abilities to overcome the enemy. This will offer a combat system that is truly strategic and challenging, greatly improving what was lacking in ICY.
  • We will rework the inventory, allowing the player not only to craft items but also to manage the equipment of the whole party. This will make scavenging much more interesting, and the loot gained will finally be shared among companions.
  • We will add more quests and improve the main storyline, especially the final part, which was a little too rushed. The player will have more time to know Tanya, TJ and Janeve, and will have to face more challenges before reaching the game’s ending.
  • We will add more content related to the party, fleshing out the characters that travel with the player.
And this list is only about the major changes and additions. We are already working on the game from the ground up to give you a 360 degrees improved experience, turning a Visual Novel with some RPG elements into a true Survival RPG, with all the features you would expect from it!

We are also open to suggestions! Is there something you’d want to see in this new ICY? Tell us, we may be able to fulfill your desires!
Thanks for your attention, fellow travelers. We hope to give you a brand new ICY to enjoy soon!

OwNathan

Innervoid Interactive
Developer
Yeah, it's update time!

We're focusing on getting a good gameplay and improving the overall narrative, that should turn ICY into a good RPG with a solid gameplay and an interesting survival structure!

udm

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again!
How's the situation with getting it on GOG? Will this likely improve the chances?

OwNathan

Innervoid Interactive
Developer
How's the situation with getting it on GOG? Will this likely improve the chances?
Most probably yes. Giving to the game a proper, well-coded gameplay should allow us to get the game on GoG. Sadly they're quite restrictive about what should appear on their store.

udm

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again!
Might want to keep bugging them. It's been known that the monkeys that make up their "curator" team are wildly inconsistent in their acceptance policies.

lightbane

Arcane
Remakes and remastered editions everywhere. I suppose I'll wait for this improved edition to be released.

Lhynn

Arcane
Goddamn i had forgotten about this game. I blame the shitty name.

Mustawd

Don't remind me. OwNathan I'm still annoyed at that!!

:argh:

But it's ok. We love you anyways. :love:

ICY is currently on my backlog, so I'm happy t's getting a remastered edition. I'm guessing the original will be patched on Steam?

OwNathan

Innervoid Interactive
Developer
IT'S A WONDERFUL SHITTY NAME HOW DARE YOU?

No, seriously, it wasn't even useful for the SEO, not the best choice ever.
Don't remind me. OwNathan I'm still annoyed at that!!

:argh:

But it's ok. We love you anyways. :love:

ICY is currently on my backlog, so I'm happy t's getting a remastered edition. I'm guessing the original will be patched on Steam?
Everyone will most probably receive a new game into their library, since we'll try to publish it as a new game. I suggest anyone interested in it to buy the game now, while it's cheap as fuck, because after the relaunch we won't hit the -75% for a while.

OwNathan

Innervoid Interactive
Developer
IT'S A WONDERFUL SHITTY NAME HOW DARE YOU?

No, seriously, it wasn't even useful for the SEO, not the best choice ever.

You're using the remaster as a rebranding opportunity, no? ICY frostbitten edition or something
Maybe we'll do something like that, we can add a secondary title. We could use some survival flavor in it.

Antigoon

Augur
As everything nowadays is about the right representation of modern society I wonder if that game features 80% young men.

OwNathan

Innervoid Interactive
Developer
Guys, the reality is that we would gladly develop complex RPGs, but it's not that easy. Developing such games is costly and to get stuff like grants and investments we have to start somewhere. For example, the same technologies developed for That Day We Left will be used in future games, cutting down the costs of any possible RPG, but sadly it's not that easy to create a good, deep, and profitable RPG out of nothing.

Lhynn

Arcane
Guys, the reality is that we would gladly develop complex RPGs, but it's not that easy. Developing such games is costly and to get stuff like grants and investments we have to start somewhere. For example, the same technologies developed for That Day We Left will be used in future games, cutting down the costs of any possible RPG, but sadly it's not that easy to create a good, deep, and profitable RPG out of nothing.
exile3_shot7.gif

Mortmal

Arcane
Thats certainly hard work to develop a true rpg, but this new game drift away from my centers of interest. Your syrian refugee project sounds like something more fitting in a classroom , like other pedagogic serious games.Also part of my money goes to charity, i dont like that... I mean i dont like charitable marketing , if i want to do some i wont buy a game , ill send the whole money directly there : http://www.secours-catholique.org/ or http://www.restosducoeur.org/

OwNathan

Innervoid Interactive
Developer
Thats certainly hard work to develop a true rpg, but this new game drift away from my centers of interest. Your syrian refugee project sounds like something more fitting in a classroom , like other pedagogic serious games.Also part of my money goes to charity, i dont like that... I mean i dont like charitable marketing , if i want to do some i wont buy a game , ill send the whole money directly there : http://www.secours-catholique.org/ or http://www.restosducoeur.org/
That's another matter and, well, it's a respectable point of view. We did a choice, maybe a wrong one, maybe a good one, but anyone not interested in the game is free aswell to ignore it. We hope to develop different games too in the future, because creating That Day We Left has been interesting but there are many other concepts we'd like to turn into finished products.

exile3_shot7.gif

How can something like this sustain in terms of salary 10 full time workers and 5 freelancers? Sadly Steam is full of old school games which can barely sell a thousand copies in a year, which is not even enough for a single person.

Lhynn

Arcane
How can something like this sustain in terms of salary 10 full time workers and 5 freelancers? Sadly Steam is full of old school games which can barely sell a thousand copies in a year, which is not even enough for a single person.
As long as you are working in whatever you want to work youll find a niche.

OwNathan

Innervoid Interactive
Developer
As long as you are working in whatever you want to work youll find a niche.
Sadly it's about paying rents and food, not luxury and small sacrifices. I understand it's bad too see so many good concepts abandoned by the developers, but we have to live somewhat. If we can't work on this, there won't be games at all. But if we manage to create something stable and develop experience, technologies and know-hows we could easily cut down the costs and focus on different concepts.

I sincerely understand how people could feel disappointed, but from our perspective this life is extremely hard and we lack the luxury of making ideal choices. Otheriwise you would've seen two announcement: one about TDWL and another about Zaharia or something similar.

Mortmal

Arcane
exile3_shot7.gif
[]

10 full time workers no, but its a one man job, jeff vogel ( http://www.spiderwebsoftware.com/) is still alive and well fed. Steam full of oldschool games ? Hell no, Theres absolutely nothing like Exile and his games on steam, he's the only one still doing such games.I can count on one hand the oldschool rpg released in steam the last ten years.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom