Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter ICY: Frostbite Edition

groundhog

Educated
Just wanted to say congratulations on your successful campaign and best of luck with the game!

Only advice I would offer is don't try to do too much - if you have a clear idea of the final game, then stick to it. It's better to do A and B well, rather than trying to do A, B, C, D and E, and ending up doing all of them badly.

udm

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again!
Inspired by NEO Scavenger but unable to bash a deer to death with bare fists? :decline:

:x
:troll:
Jokes aside, I played the alpha for about 15 minutes before it glitched out (got stuck in the actions window while scavenging). Some impressions:
+ Love what you have done tying in sound and music with the narrative. I run my PnP sessions like that too, playing sounds/ambient sounds at appropriate moments
+ As a huge fan of KODP and NEO Scavenger, I got an erection reading and playing through the narrative bits
+ Portraits and artwork are effin' ace for an indie effort

Some questions I have / Things I thought about:
- The point-buy system in Icy is such that the cost scales up by one with every level purchased, so it becomes more expensive the more you invest in a skill. Will this create a situation where players end up becoming a jack of all trades in the end?
- How replayable will the game be? Will players be able to script in their own events as part of mods?

Looking forward to a more stable demo, but I'm sold! Going to see if I can scrounge up $60 for the boxed tier :brodex:

OwNathan

Innervoid Interactive
Developer
Some questions I have / Things I thought about:
- The point-buy system in Icy is such that the cost scales up by one with every level purchased, so it becomes more expensive the more you invest in a skill. Will this create a situation where players end up becoming a jack of all trades in the end?
- How replayable will the game be? Will players be able to script in their own events as part of mods?
Players should be jack of all trades, at least a little, since the PC skills are the only one that matters in the game. There will be different tiers of challenge related to the various skill and, even a specialized character, will be able to max more than one stat, to reflect the fact that an actual survivor may be specialized, but he will also have some basic knowledge of all the aspects of the nomadic lifestyle.

About the replayability, we don't know much about mods yet, but the game itself will offer a lot of different branching options linked to the main plot and all the secondary events (subquests, group events, crises). Modding could be hard, especially because dialogues are written using articy:draft, which doesn't allow to easily mod a game: it compiles a XML file and all the dialogue related contents are on that file, but if we can find a way to let the game load different XMLs, including the dialogues one, we could be able to open the game to mods of different sort. The downside is that Articy is necessary to create new dialogues and it costs something like 200$.

CyberWhale

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
I mean improving C&C and dialogues :) I am one of the least enthusiastic people on the internet about rushing out games:P Any improvement that can be added before funds dry up should be implemented. If I find some time, I will play the alpha and create some feedback.
We will take as much time as possible to improve Icy, but here the honest part: we need to pay people, so we can't spend as much time as we want on improving Icy. With Indiegogo's funds we'll be able to do a lot of improvements and, according to our future plans or to the next weeks of Indiegogo, we may be also able to spend more time on such things.

Before an official release make sure you launch an Early Access - free bug testing and additional funds for improving already existing features and adding completely new ones.

TL;DR - profit.

Brutan

Savant
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Players should be jack of all trades, at least a little, since the PC skills are the only one that matters in the game. There will be different tiers of challenge related to the various skill and, even a specialized character, will be able to max more than one stat, to reflect the fact that an actual survivor may be specialized, but he will also have some basic knowledge of all the aspects of the nomadic lifestyle.

In understand your point of view. However, have you considered the middle ground? Something like having each party member give you a small bonus to a skill. Now I have little idea on how you're planning to shape the game so I may be way off. But if the PC can choose which companion to live/stay or die/leave than those small bonuses might add to the complexity, that and the supplies(food) consumption. Do you take on an extra good hunter as part of your group/family (thus increasing hunting a bit but also food consumption) or leave him be ?

Only advice I would offer is don't try to do too much - if you have a clear idea of the final game, then stick to it. It's better to do A and B well, rather than trying to do A, B, C, D and E, and ending up doing all of them badly.

I second that. Sure, I give suggestions and all but in the end the devs have to stay focused on their plan and goal. Trying to implement too many ideas, especially on such a short budget, can lead the game astray and generate a lot of frustration.

Heck, if the game is good and proves successful ( small indie success I mean) then they might go indiegogo for an expansion. :)

Mustawd

So they're sticking with the name Icy?
Yeah, sadly. Marketing reasons, we can't change the product name without becoming again completely unknown. But next time we'll pick a better name, that's for sure.

Pretty surprised with this as well as disappointed. I mean in the end the name doesn't really matter to me. But just left wondering what happened with your plan on renaming it? Seems liike at no point it was discussed or publicized.

Will back the game here in a couple of days on payday, but would probably had been pretty annoyed had I backed with the idea the name would change/there would be a voting on the name.

OwNathan

Innervoid Interactive
Developer
Yeah, sadly. Marketing reasons, we can't change the product name without becoming again completely unknown. But next time we'll pick a better name, that's for sure.

Pretty surprised with this as well as disappointed. I mean in the end the name doesn't really matter to me. But just left wondering what happened with your plan on renaming it? Seems liike at no point it was discussed or publicized.

Will back the game here in a couple of days on payday, but would probably had been pretty annoyed had I backed with the idea the name would change/there would be a voting on the name.
I'm not happy about it too, but the fact is that we took with us a marketing expert to help us with such things and the wisest course of action is to follow his advices. Since we're an unknown indie sofware house, changing the name could have been quite a setback for our little, pathetic marketing plans. And since the name is not something that affects the overall quality of the game, in this case it's better to follow marketing advices, since we have to pay people and keep everything running.

I talked about renaming it after the criticism on this forum and I did it only here, but in our team we don't take decisions on our own and it would be retard to ignore the advice of an experienced marketing guy, since we took him with us because we lack the knowledge to take care of the marketing by ourselves. The bright side is that the more we earn with Icy, the more we will be able to work on the next game, meaning that we could be able to work on a way more complex and well built game. Unless the marketing advices go against our game core design (that is based on dialogues, choices and roleplay) the best thing is to follow them.

CyberWhale

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Changing the title while the game (and its marketing campaign) are still in its early infancy wouldn't have had any negative consequences. It's not like your game is super-popular right now, and it certainly wasn't that popular before you launched the IndieGoGo campaign. Case in point; Underrail AKA Timelapse Vertigo. Unfortunately, now it probably is too late.

Next time listen to the Codex, we know better about that shit than random marketing suits who don't know (and don't care) anything about gaming and niche titles. :smug:

OwNathan

Innervoid Interactive
Developer
Next time listen to the Codex, we know better about that shit than random marketing suits who don't know (and don't care) anything about gaming and niche titles. :smug:
He's no marketing suit, he's a cool guy!

Anyway, the next time we'll plan the development to start sharing contents way before the release, something that we were unable to do with Icy, to have early feedbacks and to do some proper marketing for the game. With Icy we had to fully assemble the team and some things, like a decent UI, came too late. That's why we started to show things only when the game was already in an advanced phase of the development.

CyberWhale

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
That's nice to hear - but read my previous advice on Early Access. Don't be scared to postpone the official release - no one (sane) will be angry for waiting a few months more and getting a better game.

OwNathan

Innervoid Interactive
Developer
That's nice to hear - but read my previous advice on Early Access. Don't be scared to postpone the official release - no one (sane) will be angry for waiting a few months more and getting a better game.
We will probably do that, but the fact is that I personally hate most early access game, because it's not that nice to force people to restart the game more times. If everything goes as planned, we should be able to release the game in early access with the possibility of keeping savegames to continue play in the final version, in that case we'll be more than happy to do an early access.

CyberWhale

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
We will probably do that, but the fact is that I personally hate most early access game, because it's not that nice to force people to restart the game more times. If everything goes as planned, we should be able to release the game in early access with the possibility of keeping savegames to continue play in the final version, in that case we'll be more than happy to do an early access.

Is your game really that long that restarting would be an issue?

P.S. it seems that you've reached another stretch goal. Moar dynamic eventz!

:yeah:

Last edited:

OwNathan

Innervoid Interactive
Developer
Is your game really that long that restarting would be an issue?

P.S. it seems that you've reached another stretch goal. Moar dynamic eventz!

:yeah:
It is. There are something like 5 hours of text related to the main plot. The final game should be something around 8-14 hours of lenght, according to the chosen difficulty and how much secondary things the player get involved into. And if I manage to do all the writings checks and improvements in time, I may be able to add even more dialogues, choices and flavour to the game.

CyberWhale

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Dunno man, I don't think that restarting a game that lasts around 10 hours is a huge setback.

P.S. I also noticed that the campaign has finished a few days ago (stupid me) but it seems that contributing through IndieGoGo is still possible - am I getting something completely wrong or what?

OwNathan

Innervoid Interactive
Developer
Dunno man, I don't think that restarting a game that lasts around 10 hours is a huge setback.

P.S. I also noticed that the campaign has finished a few days ago (stupid me) but it seems that contributing through IndieGoGo is still possible - am I getting something completely wrong or what?
It's the awesome In Demand, it will allow us to keep receiving donations until we decide to shut it down. A good thing for us, since because of a health emergency we were unable to release the alpha when we planned.

Mustawd

I'm not happy about it too, but the fact is that we took with us a marketing expert to help us with such things and the wisest course of action is to follow his advices. Since we're an unknown indie sofware house, changing the name could have been quite a setback for our little, pathetic marketing plans. And since the name is not something that affects the overall quality of the game, in this case it's better to follow marketing advices, since we have to pay people and keep everything running.

I talked about renaming it after the criticism on this forum and I did it only here, but in our team we don't take decisions on our own and it would be retard to ignore the advice of an experienced marketing guy, since we took him with us because we lack the knowledge to take care of the marketing by ourselves. The bright side is that the more we earn with Icy, the more we will be able to work on the next game, meaning that we could be able to work on a way more complex and well built game. Unless the marketing advices go against our game core design (that is based on dialogues, choices and roleplay) the best thing is to follow them.

Hmm, well I agree that changing the name right before or during the indiegogo campaign might be more trouble than it was worth. I think my main point was just communication with the public on your plans.

By the way, I ran the demo yesterday. Played about 20-30 minutes and really liked what I saw. Just a couple of comments for some feedback:

1.) Spelling issues exist (I know you guys are editing but wanted to point out)
2.) I'm liking the characters so far for sure. Well written so far.
3.) The setting is believable (at least first 30 mins) for an apocalyptical world. Plus, the winter environment gives a very Jack London book feel.
4.) The demo makes my machine really work. On my home laptop (2012 PC; Windows 7 64 bit) the game overheated it (probably need to fix the fan, but still). On my work laptop it ran ok, but again it really made it work hard. Dunno it I just need to fix my machines or what, but thought I'd report it.
5.) Feel like the intro can have more to it. Was a bit sudden for me. I still got into the game, but the intro didn't help.

Looking forward to playing it more this week. Keep at it.

CyberWhale

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
4.) The demo makes my machine really work. On my home laptop (2012 PC; Windows 7 64 bit) the game overheated it (probably need to fix the fan, but still). On my work laptop it ran ok, but again it really made it work hard. Dunno it I just need to fix my machines or what, but thought I'd report it.

Unity gonna Unity. :M

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
I think Icy has some merit to it as a name - it definitely is original and stand out from the crowd, as there is no other game I can think of that uses an adjective for its title.

It would have been better to have something in the title that hints at a post-apocalyptic setting like Fallout or Wasteland, but you know, with games like Underrail you also do not have that in the title. So I think Icy is okay.

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
I think Icy has some merit to it as a name - it definitely is original and stand out from the crowd, as there is no other game I can think of that uses an adjective for its title.

"Arcanum" is also an adjective.

Mustawd

Hmm, well I agree that changing the name right before or during the indiegogo campaign might be more trouble than it was worth. I think my main point was just communication with the public on your plans.

By the way, I ran the demo yesterday. Played about 20-30 minutes and really liked what I saw. Just a couple of comments for some feedback:

1.) Spelling issues exist (I know you guys are editing but wanted to point out)
2.) I'm liking the characters so far for sure. Well written so far.
3.) The setting is believable (at least first 30 mins) for an apocalyptical world. Plus, the winter environment gives a very Jack London book feel.
5.) Feel like the intro can have more to it. Was a bit sudden for me. I still got into the game, but the intro didn't help.

Looking forward to playing it more this week. Keep at it.

Some more comments:

1.) Some of the UI text in the demo seems inconsistent with the rest of the narrated and UI text.
2.) In chargen screen, it'd be nice to have a + and - button. Otherwise, I'm stuck merely resetting everything. Small annoyance, but I noticed it.
3.) In combat, the language is a tad confusing; It almost seems like it is saying my party gains HP when it's actually losing it.
4.) Again, in-game text is in need of editing. For example, something like "you see a shiny tower" is technically correct. However, "you see a tower, the evening light reflecting off the metal surface" or something similar is more consistent with the tone of the game. In addition, I came across some grammatical errors. For example:

"That's good. We're in a bad situation and you're better be ready for anything"

Should be "...you better be ready for anything"

5.) UI needs a bit of work. Some of the icons are not really intuitive, and it's hard to tell what each one does; even after the prologue goes through it
6.) Chargen screen is well done and the descriptions are informative
7.) Dialogue choices are varied and follow realistic conversation flows
8.) Like the art even more after playing the game more. As an amateur artist I really appreciate the consistent theme of the game. Plus, the muted color scheme works well with the setting. Glad you didn't fall into the trap of making everything white all the time.
9.) Like I said, I like the art, but was confused on Jerome's portrait. He's supposed to be as old as Hector but he comes across as younger than some of the PC portraits as well as younger than Hector. I think it's more of minor tweaks to make him appear a bit older.

OwNathan

Innervoid Interactive
Developer
"Arcanum" is also an adjective.
Arcanus should be the adjective, arcanum is a noun and it means "secret" or "mystery". But my latin is quite rusty, so I may be wrong.

Some more comments:

1.) Some of the UI text in the demo seems inconsistent with the rest of the narrated and UI text.
2.) In chargen screen, it'd be nice to have a + and - button. Otherwise, I'm stuck merely resetting everything. Small annoyance, but I noticed it.
3.) In combat, the language is a tad confusing; It almost seems like it is saying my party gains HP when it's actually losing it.
4.) Again, in-game text is in need of editing. For example, something like "you see a shiny tower" is technically correct. However, "you see a tower, the evening light reflecting off the metal surface" or something similar is more consistent with the tone of the game. In addition, I came across some grammatical errors. For example:

"That's good. We're in a bad situation and you're better be ready for anything"

Should be "...you better be ready for anything"

5.) UI needs a bit of work. Some of the icons are not really intuitive, and it's hard to tell what each one does; even after the prologue goes through it
6.) Chargen screen is well done and the descriptions are informative
7.) Dialogue choices are varied and follow realistic conversation flows
8.) Like the art even more after playing the game more. As an amateur artist I really appreciate the consistent theme of the game. Plus, the muted color scheme works well with the setting. Glad you didn't fall into the trap of making everything white all the time.
9.) Like I said, I like the art, but was confused on Jerome's portrait. He's supposed to be as old as Hector but he comes across as younger than some of the PC portraits as well as younger than Hector. I think it's more of minor tweaks to make him appear a bit older.
Thank you very much for the feedback.

Having a good english is our top priority, it's even more important than improving the UI, so we'll try to do our best to improve it. The good thing is that most of this beginning was written months ago, when my english was not decent as it is now. With enough time to spend on reviewing everything, we should achieve a good result. I'm actually happy that no one complained about the writing itself, because we will always have time to find another editor to do a second check on the texts, but if my writing was slow, boring or simply bad, it would have been hard to fix it. I focused on creating realistic characters in a realistic context and, according to your feedback, I managed to do that, at least a little. And that's nice!

About the other things you reported, most things will be surely fixed before the release:
- the UI will be reworked at least to be more appealing and clear, but we'd like to do a big rework of it, creating a more dynamic and satisfying experience. If we'll have time and money to do that, we'll do that.
- Fights will be easier to understand and their feedbacks will be more accurate and consistent. Right now if you fight the mutants in the church subquest you'll see some random human image appearing, but this will change in the final release.
- Unity is quite heavy and we had some bugs, so the game take a lot of RAM to work right now. We should be able to fix this, or at least to create settings to improve the overall performances.

So, after going through the whole build, are you still interested in the game? Does it feels like a good indie game or more like some crap you would buy only when nothing else is available to play?

Mustawd

So, after going through the whole build, are you still interested in the game? Does it feels like a good indie game or more like some crap you would buy only when nothing else is available to play?

Hey OwNathan, any updates on this game? To answer your question, I'm high enough on it to purchase a copy. Unfortunately, the indiegog campaign just ended and it looks like Steam and GOG might be a bit of time away. But will definitely purchase once it's available.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom