Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter ICY: Frostbite Edition

Norfleet

or localized for Latvian markets,
Well, if you localize it for Siberia, you can tell them that it is summer. Because, frankly, those screenshots actually look kinda warm. If you can still pee without having it freeze before it hits the ground, it's warm out.

sser

Arcane
Developer
Mime Rime
Spicy (change color palette to red)
I See
Eyesy
Super Cold Climates: Governator 2: Ice Be Back: SFIII: Ultimate Al Gore Edition of Iciness

OwNathan

Innervoid Interactive
Developer
Well Frozen World would get you an instant audience of about 10 000 000 000 little girls.

Just expect plenty of angry comments when they discover you can't build snowmn, get saved by a handsome prince, or sing annoying songs with birds on your shoulders.
That's not a problem. We can handle some little girl criticism if that means getting 10'000'000 sales.

will pop up later on.

A setting related question:
If the conditions are as you described them, and there is only one million people left in the world... how can anyone find anyone else?
And if the conditions are so cruel... how come all those bandits exist? What do they do when they are not banditing around? How do they live and... what do they eat?

I think you need to adjust the setting to make all that more believable or plausible.
Fact is that most lands are completely iced, it's impossible to live in most areas where many people lives today, like all northern Europe or, in general, any place too far from the equator. So there are just a few people, but they have a smaller area to fill.

Bandits live just like nomads, relying on hunting and scavenging for their basic needs. The term "bandit" is used in reference to the groups that have a hostile behaviour.

Most areas on the earth became completely deprived of complex life, that's why a million people is enough to cover the few areas that are still capable to host some form of life.

You need to slightly change this expression so it seems more like an expression that got distorted by the new conditions and apocalypse. Too often we get PA games in which a lot of stuff still looks as if its just ordinary modern stuff in a fantastical background.
That's not one of those game, despite what my inaccurate english may have communicated. Settlements are something like small villages that rarely host more than 50 people, with people living in harsh conditions. I'll put here some in game artworks to get you a better idea of those sedentary people.

Settlements will be just a little step further in terms of quality of life compared to the nomad lifestyle.

Your english is ok, just a few smaller mistakes i can see and they are mostly just words in wrong positions inside the sentence. But you need the language to be more then ok. Hope you find someone. (im not a native english speaker either)
We found an editor, but the texts you can see in the screenshots are still writing of mine, he hasn't already started working on the dialogues. In the final game we'll have a better and clearer english, that is of the utmost importance in a dialogue based game.

But at least no one said that the game looks like shit, I'll take that as a good sign.

Well... on the nitpicking side the character portraits sport suspiciously well-trimmed beards and clean skins. I expected something shaggier and possibly grimier. Granted, dust is not a problem in this setting, but there still should be plenty of chances to get dirty handling objects.
We have ugly people too.
Bertrand.jpg

Last edited:

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
What I meant is that they will all think it has something to do with that stupid Disney movie, Frozen. Also that other stuff was not said by me.

OwNathan

Innervoid Interactive
Developer
We should consider starting a poll to find new, cool names.

You guys seem inspired.

Vagiel

Augur
Interesting concept, I will certainly follow your progress.

And since we are playing the name game, I would suggest Cocytus. A frozen hell from the tears of regret, it could tie in with the regrets of humanity for leading earth to such a state if that is your concept.

Gondolin

Arcane
Interesting concept, I will certainly follow your progress.

And since we are playing the name game, I would suggest Cocytus. A frozen hell from the tears of regret, it could tie in with the regrets of humanity for leading earth to such a state if that is your concept.

Won't ring any bells for most people.

hiver

OwNathan
Well, at least you are getting all the bad ideas for the name. Once all those are spent...

Fact is that most lands are completely iced, it's impossible to live in most areas where many people lives today, like all northern Europe or, in general, any place too far from the equator. So there are just a few people, but they have a smaller area to fill.
Be sure to present that very clearly through the opening so everyone get it.

Bandits live just like nomads, relying on hunting and scavenging for their basic needs. The term "bandit" is used in reference to the groups that have a hostile behaviour.
How about just calling them nomads too? without that spoilery distinction of being "bandits".

Let players find out themselves if NPCs they meet are bandits or not. And that should include several of those "sedentary" groups too. (im guessing that is already planned,if not - it should be)

That's not one of those game, despite what my inaccurate english may have communicated. Settlements are something like small villages that rarely host more than 50 people, with people living in harsh conditions. I'll put here some in game artworks to get you a better idea of those sedentary people.
Oh i understood that fine. Thats ok.

I meant that the name "sedentary" should be slightly changed, into some sort of its post apocalyptic version.

Using such strange post apocalyptic names and expressions really increases the feel and atmosphere of post apocalypse. A drastic change of reality where nothing is the same as before.
Sedentary is almost perfect but its a bit too technical.

Check it out with your writer and editor. maybe they can come up with names that would be appropriately post apocalyptic weird but still recognizable and meaningful as would be appropriate.

Grubba

Arcane
I'm gonna be real disappointed with this game if you can't pick up frozen turds and use them as daggers.

there's the name right there:

Icy: Realm of Frozen Turd Daggers

OwNathan

Innervoid Interactive
Developer
How about just calling them nomads too? without that spoilery distinction of being "bandits".

Let players find out themselves if NPCs they meet are bandits or not. And that should include several of those "sedentary" groups too. (im guessing that is already planned,if not - it should be)
Of course it won't be that simple. Sometimes the player will be attacked in some random events, but such events are quite rare and are useful to simulate the fact that anyone could be an enemy. In all the dialogues people use the term "bandits" to generically refer to aggressive people, just like we may use the term "criminal" to refer to some social strata, but there won't be any generic bandits faction. So the player may hear from an NPC that some people are bandits, but maybe they just had a fight with that NPC, there won't be stupid categorizations and we'll try to offer a story without good and bad people. For example, the player will have to choose among different endings and each ending is related to some people whose personalities are built to be human, complex and full of contradictions.

Check it out with your writer and editor. maybe they can come up with names that would be appropriately post apocalyptic weird but still recognizable and meaningful as would be appropriate.
I used technical terms in the news, but I tried to used more post-apocalytpic words while writing the game, aiming to recreate a world where our actual culture is getting slowly forgotten. Dialogues are already written to avoid the unpleasant feeling of playing in an inconsistent post-apocalyptic setting. For example nomads have lots of ways to refer to their favourite activity: travelling around. And they have different words to refer to the frozen planet and to their everyday life. What we want to recreate that particular feeling of facing a decadent culture that lacks the means to comprehend the legacy of the past.

hiver

I think you should avoid using the term "bandits" completely.
It is a very direct kind of expression, that is always used to describe clearly bad and lawless people - criminals. And that doesnt fit the post apocalypse setting at all.

Good to hear about that other stuff.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom