Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Icewind Dale in TToEE Engine Total Conversion - Prologue Demo Released

Sitra Achara

Arcane
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Getting a crash trying to leave the first tavern when I use Temple+. Works fine if I don't use T+

Allyx

Crash is apparently due to a corrupt door object at sector 469762054

upload_2017-1-3_22-32-0.png

Edit:

Also saw bad doors here

upload_2017-1-3_22-37-23.png

upload_2017-1-3_22-38-4.png

Last edited:

Mustawd

Allyx, how long do you think it'll take to finish the rest of the game?

And congrats on doing a great job on this. Hopefully, it'll spark people's imaginations to create other mods in ToEE.

Allyx

Savant
Allyx, how long do you think it'll take to finish the rest of the game?
This Project, from inception to the completion of the Prologue chapter has so far taken about 6 months, the remaining 6 chapters could take a couple of years... maybe less now that all the ground work is done.
And congrats on doing a great job on this. Hopefully, it'll spark people's imaginations to create other mods in ToEE.
Thanks, I too hope others will see the ToEE engine as a thing of beauty and make new games for it.

Allyx

Savant
What, no screenshots from Kuldahar Pass yet?

I mean I've seen it already, and what lies beyond (even though that part isn't finished yet), but I'm sure others are curious

Mustawd

Allyx , I am computer illiterate. Can you please walk me thorugh what this step means?

5. Extract the Icewind Dale modpack zipped file to your ToEE installation folder.

Where exactly in the ToEE folder should I put it?

EDIT: also, do I just extract all files in said folder? Or will extracting to its own folder first and then moving it be sufficient? Sorry, but I'm an idiot and sometimes you need to make this idiot proof for us proles.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sitra Achara

Arcane
Thanks Sitra Achara I have now fixed those doors and I'm uploading Patch 2 now, which also fixes the Orc Shaman AI to how I had intended it. Patch 2 is available from this thread.
That seems to do the trick.

IIRC for full compatibility I still have to override a few co8-altered spell files.

Also if anyone plays this with Temple+ and wants to see the load screen intro, you should set skipIntro=false in the TemplePlus.ini file.

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
Okay I tried this without Temple+

The new game intro videos from both ToEE and IWD play, which is great. I'm not sure if the shop map is necessary since we have a perfectly capable shop in the town but sure, it's not like it hurts. But man, ToEE inventory system and gear management sucks.

Gossip portraits and texts sometimes show through fog of war - the kids and the fisherman were what I witnessed. Lady of the lake & fisherman work well. The door icons can sometimes be hidden, either by the map or they don't get drawn. The goblin elite almost killed my sorcerer and rogue, yikes. Nice reactivity to initiating dialogue with townspeople when non-human. I don't remember if that was in IWD, it's been so long.

If I select full attack but then cannot attack due to not having movement left, the character gets stuck and the game constantly complains "Already moved". Pressing space to end turn fixes the "stuck" issue and changing map fixes the repeating text issue. When I select Coup de Grace to attack a sleeping goblin but I'm not next to it, the game displays "Invalid Target" instead of "Too Far" or something like that.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
One of ToEE's major problems is content. One of IWD's only problems is lackluster character customization. The idea of this mod is brilliant. I really hope you finish it Allyx. I'll test out the demo when I have time, things are busy at work atm

Allyx

Savant
Allyx
Where exactly in the ToEE folder should I put it?

EDIT: also, do I just extract all files in said folder? Or will extracting to its own folder first and then moving it be sufficient? Sorry, but I'm an idiot and sometimes you need to make this idiot proof for us proles.
Once downloaded, right click the .zip file, select 'extract to...' And point it to your 'Temple of Elemental Evil' folder (the one with Toee.exe in it), do the same with the patch file. The two files won't overwrite each other. Then use TFE-X.exe to activate the Icewind Dale module, and then the Patch 2 Add-On, The portrait pack included is optional, but can also be activated at this point if desired. Then launch (either with TFE-X or Temple+ of you are using it.

I have thus far been building the module without Temple + (even though it is brilliant) to insure that people who cannot run Temple + (due to hardware or Operating System constraints) can still use the Icewind Dale module (Older graphics cards or Linux OS are unable to run the latest versions of Temple +).

Lonely Vazdru

Pimp my Title
I have thus far been building the module without Temple + (even though it is brilliant) to insure that people who cannot run Temple + (due to hardware or Operating System constraints) can still use the Icewind Dale module (Older graphics cards or Linux OS are unable to run the latest versions of Temple +).
You sir, are a gentleman.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron

While I respect the inclination to do your part for those with bad hardware, is so much backwards compatibility really worth giving up engine fixes + prestige classes?

Allyx

Savant
When ToEE was released, it received bad reviews because it was buggy as hell. As such sales weren't great, publicity was non-existent, and IMO if it were not for the player made patches working miracles fixing the engine during the last 16 years, no-one would be playing ToEE at all.

So since ToEE currently has a very small player base, what would be the point of making a mod for it that then excludes people from playing it?

That said, Temple+ is a great thing, and while I can make a mod that Temple+ is compatible with, I can't make Temple+ usable by everyone who can run ToEE, that is Sitra Achara's project.

There has been some talk of us later making an Icewind Dale+ total conversion for ToEE, using this version I'm working on now and improving it with Temple+ and all the goodness that it can bring. Obviously finishing this project first would be the priority, but there is nothing to stop people using Temple+ with the IWD TC in the mean time.

Mustawd

Allyx , anything non ToEE modders can help with to speed up the process of this?

I don't have a ton of free time this month, but that'll change later on.

Allyx

Savant
Playtesting and bug reporting are both easy jobs for non-Modder's, You have the original IWD, so comparing differences between the two versions seems like a logical place to start.

Obviously there will be some differences between them as the engines themselves are different but where exact replication cannot be done, discussion about other ways to achieve a similar result will be welcome.

I think after I've had a bit of a break from modding (my girlfriend is a bit pissed at me for spending most of my Christmas holiday period on the computer getting this mod done), I'm going to concentrate on adding the remaining maps for the rest of the game to ToEE in the format ToEE will recognise so the sectoring (defining areas that can be traversed) can be started.

A dialogue converter program has been written already to make adding the text for NPC's quicker and easier, but the python code behind that will need to be written anew from scratch.

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
Pathfinding seems little wonky occasionally. Instead of walking in a straight path, the party moves diagonally to the side, then backtracks a little before finding its way to the right destination. Seems to happen near buildings.

Sitra Achara

Arcane

While I respect the inclination to do your part for those with bad hardware, is so much backwards compatibility really worth giving up engine fixes + prestige classes?
Just to be clear, the mods aren't mutually exclusive or anything like that. Other than fixing issues that crop up like those corrupt doors and bringing a few spells up to speed they shohld be compatible.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
I thought they were incompatible - thanks

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom