Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Icewind Dale in TToEE Engine Total Conversion - Prologue Demo Released

Allyx

Savant
Clangeddin would be the 3rd Dwarven God in the list, 2 of which would be Lawful Good aligned, while Azuth is Mystra's follower and virtually identical in game terms to Mystra. Neither of which would provide much benefit over the already presented list.

Allyx

Savant
Any ideas on how many man hours would you need to convert all maps?

And speaking of which, what is the process like? How much of that can be automatized? I mean if it's take a map chunk size ??x?? and put it at pos x, y and the same goes for the monsters, then yeah why not just write a couple of scripts.
No clue at the moment.

The process involves extracting the map images from IWD, I use Near Infinity for this. Some maps have doors that are meant to open and close painted onto the map itself, ToEE uses 3d door models instead so any visible remnants of these doors need to be removed.

Next the maps need to be split into 256x256 pixel chunks so ToEE can use them, so I recombine a ToEE map that is larger than the IWD map I'm working on, copy/paste the new IWD map onto the old ToEE map and split the map into chunks again, ToEE worldbuilder has this splitting/recombining utility built in.

The new map must now be readable to ToEE, so I replace the entries for an original ToEE map we won't be using with the new maps details, file name, map number etc etc, there is a long complicated post on the Co8 forum detailing how to make new maps in ToEE.

Once the map is readable by the game, I open it in World Ed and define the traversable areas of the map, where you can walk, what you can get cover from, what blocks lines of sight, what visually obscures your characters from view, map pathfinding node locations, and define what type of ground exists around the map (so walking on wooden floors sounds different to walking on snow, or dirt pathways or stone corridors etc... adding smoke that comes from chimneys, fireplaces, candles, and tourches can also be added. Icons then also need to be added to travel between different maps.

Adding monsters involves first making a protos.tab entry for the monster, or repurposing one we don't have a need for from ToEE so the new monsters stats and abilities first need to be edited in Protos.tab, Invensource.mes also needs to be edited to give the monster any starting equipment it may have. It can then be added to the map in World Ed, rotated to the desired bearing, assigned waypoints so they wander about a bit. Spellcasters need to have both the spells they can cast in their Protos, and a Strategy.tab entry that utilises the spells on their list in the correct manner, spells incorrectly entered into strategy.tab won't fire.

I also use Worldbuilder to fine tune monster loot and equipment, arrows for instance, if entered in invensource.mes, a basic stack of arrows contains 40 arrows, but when there are approx 30 archers in the prologue chapter alone, the number of arrows you can collect gets rediculously large very quickly, so I'll adjust it so they only carry a few arrows each, enough to get a few shots off before running out and switching to melee weapons and attacking in close quarters.

Dialogue files for NPC's that speak can be converted with a custom built tool written by Shiningted (KotB's author and primary modder) to get the text into a ToEE readable format, extra work for adding script hooks, and other functional parts working still have to be manually configured. Other script hooks (dying scripts, will KOS scripts etc...) have to be likewise manually coded as required.

Voiced NPC parts are relatively simple, the .mp3's are extracted like the maps are, and put into the sound/voice/##### folder, replace ##### for the script number for the desired NPC recipient and name the .mp3's to match the dialogue's line number (IE v1.mp3 for line 1, v10.mp3 for line 10 etc...).

The work in the Worldmap is already complete for all locations (even though most of those don't exist yet, the pathways between them - the red dotted paths - do exist, though some may be coded backwards currently, reversing them is easier than rewriting from scratch), Spellslinger's World Mapper and Hazelnut's Path Mapper tools were instrumental for implementing these hacks, many thanks to those guys.

The Worldmap icons are likewise done, did those at the same time as the other icon alterations.

Last edited:

YES!

Hi, I'm Roqua
Dumbfuck
Thank you kindly for doing this, sir. You are a fine person and I salute you and what you are doing.

Allyx

Savant
No worries, I'm currently balancing the total amount of XP available in the prologue as my previous version is giving out too much XP when compared to the original. I think I have the balance about right now, and have nearly finished testing to make sure it's right.

I also want to fine tune the loot, there are still a few too many arrows around, and I want to double check the containers that generate random loot to make sure I have coded all the available random items correctly (I think the Orc Cave chest once gave me boots similar to Boots of Elvenkind in the original IWD) and amend them accordingly.

Then I hope to post a final version of the Demo before cracking on with Kuldahar, the Vale of Shadows and beyond.

Last edited:

Allyx

Savant
I have now uploaded a new version of the IWD:ToEE modpack which can be found here.

It contains a large number of fixes, and additions to the previous version, including the new pantheon of deities, changes to the enemies encountered in Kuldahar pass to more closely resemble the original level design, XP award values have been adjusted slightly to more accurately reflect the level progression experienced in the original IWD. Additional random items have been added to various containers that weren't quite right before, the calendar has been updated with Faerunian month names - even though it still operates on a 7 day week rather than a 10 day week.

DeepOcean

Arcane
Man, this is very cool, thank you for your effort, I already loved Icewind Dale as it was, I will love it even more with an incline combat system. Good luck to you and I hope to play your mod. Icewind Dale with ToEE system has the potential o being a massive incline, much more incline than the lukewarm nostalgia bait Obsidian been producing or the broken shavelware InXile dump on us. Is there a Patreon or something to donate? Once it is more advanced and has more content on it, I plan to give you guys moneis for it. I already didn't because mod projects, especially ambitious ones, always make me worried of becoming vapourware but when the thing is ready, I will donate. Fuck, I wasted money with those fake kickstarter incline frauds, if you manage to find time and commitment to incline the whole Icewind Dale, it is worthy it.

Allyx

Savant
I'm happy to do it for free, Also very glad to get this release out of the way, I have played the Prologue chapter over and over again since starting this project last year, both my ToEE version and the original IWD:EE, so I'm very much looking forward to getting the next chapter underway, if only for a change of scenery.

Last edited:

Allyx

Savant
I was exploring a few of the Icewind Dale dialogue trees these last couple of days, and have encountered something that might be a slight problem. Lysan, the barmaid in Kuldahar is secretly a priestess of Auril, Auril is an evil god that is currently (in our ToEE:IWD version) included as a player selectable diety, and is the only diety capable of granting Air and Water domains. Lysan apparently is Auril's "chosen one" according to another Auril priest encountered much later on in the game, so something will need to be done to either:

1) Change Auril to a non-selectable NPC deity and replace her with another deity with Air and Water domains (closer to the original IWD implementation).

2) Add dialogue lines to encompass the possibility of PC Cleric's of Auril assisting Lysan, in her destruction of Kresselack's tomb (achieving Lysan's primary goal for her) then "betraying/deposing Auril's 'chosen one' Lysan in the hopes of taking her place as 'chosen one'.

Then later trying to convince the other Auril priest that Lysan was a weak choice, and that the PC Cleric of Auril was a better choice (against Auril's will) of 'chosen one' thus angering the priest who orders an attack on the PC's (requires a few new lines of dialogue which may upset purists/add a touch more roleplay into this hack and slash fest game).

3) The PC Cleric of Auril defeats Kresselack's minions, confronts Lysan and swears fealty to Auril's 'chosen one', tricks Kresselack into believing Lysan is dead/destroys Kresselack with an item given to them by Lysan, Lysan makes the Yeti cave safe for resting and opens a shop there for her PC underlings and gives them the mission to destroy Kuldahar's people before/after resuming the search for the Heartstone Gem? And the Auril priest later on views the PC Cleric of Auril as a friend, perhaps offering healing and an additional shop for trading goods. (I'm not too certain at this point what role Kuldahar's residents have on the remainder of the story as I've not even beaten chapter 2 of IWD at this point in time).

The second and third options have the disadvantage that Kuldahar itself is on Auril's list of cold places that need to be opened up to the chill weather and the people in Kuldahar are on Auril's hit list as it were.

PC Cleric's of Auril not destroying Kuldahar would anger the other Auril priest as his God's will had not been performed, but in doing so deprives the PC's of traders to which PC's can offload loot to until much much later in the game, with Kuldahar destroyed the Auril priest may even be appeased by the PC's actions and consider them friendly and right in thier descision to dispose of Lysan but this is all well out of the scope of the original IWD story.

Cosmo

Arcane
Project: Eternity
I was exploring a few of the Icewind Dale dialogue trees these last couple of days, and have encountered something that might be a slight problem. Lysan, the barmaid in Kuldahar is secretly a priestess of Auril, Auril is an evil god that is currently (in our ToEE:IWD version) included as a player selectable diety, and is the only diety capable of granting Air and Water domains. Lysan apparently is Auril's "chosen one" according to another Auril priest encountered much later on in the game, so something will need to be done to either:

1) Change Auril to a non-selectable NPC deity and replace her with another deity with Air and Water domains (closer to the original IWD implementation).

2) Add dialogue lines to encompass the possibility of PC Cleric's of Auril assisting Lysan, in her destruction of Kresselack's tomb (achieving Lysan's primary goal for her) then "betraying/deposing Auril's 'chosen one' Lysan in the hopes of taking her place as 'chosen one'.

Then later trying to convince the other Auril priest that Lysan was a weak choice, and that the PC Cleric of Auril was a better choice (against Auril's will) of 'chosen one' thus angering the priest who orders an attack on the PC's (requires a few new lines of dialogue which may upset purists/add a touch more roleplay into this hack and slash fest game).

3) The PC Cleric of Auril defeats Kresselack's minions, confronts Lysan and swears fealty to Auril's 'chosen one', tricks Kresselack into believing Lysan is dead/destroys Kresselack with an item given to them by Lysan, Lysan makes the Yeti cave safe for resting and opens a shop there for her PC underlings and gives them the mission to destroy Kuldahar's people before/after resuming the search for the Heartstone Gem? And the Auril priest later on views the PC Cleric of Auril as a friend, perhaps offering healing and an additional shop for trading goods. (I'm not too certain at this point what role Kuldahar's residents have on the remainder of the story as I've not even beaten chapter 2 of IWD at this point in time).

The second and third options have the disadvantage that Kuldahar itself is on Auril's list of cold places that need to be opened up to the chill weather and the people in Kuldahar are on Auril's hit list as it were.

PC Cleric's of Auril not destroying Kuldahar would anger the other Auril priest as his God's will had not been performed, but in doing so deprives the PC's of traders to which PC's can offload loot to until much much later in the game, with Kuldahar destroyed the Auril priest may even be appeased by the PC's actions and consider them friendly and right in thier descision to dispose of Lysan but this is all well out of the scope of the original IWD story.

1 is best IMHO : the other ones present too many occasions of fucking things up with the writing (trying to keep the exact tone will be too much of a headache).

Allyx

Savant
Of the other Faerunian deities, there don't seem to be any others with both Water and Air Domains, Bahamut (LG) has Air and Storm Domains as well as Good, Protection and Luck Domains, while Valkur (CG) has Air and Ocean Domains as well as Chaos, Good and Protection, these are the closest options IMO.

Popiel

Arcane
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Valkur is the best of bets among the members of the Faerûnian pantheon others than Auril. He is the god patron of sailors and those who are at sea relying on the wind.

Allyx

Savant
I'm tempted to just swap Umberlee for Auril, and Valkur for Selûne, and maybe swap Ilmater for somone else... Lathander perhaps.

Allyx

Savant
Ok so a new addon patch is released now, apparently some old worldmap bug resurfaced and none of the new deity domain sekections actually worked... must have included the wrong temple.dll file or something. Auril has replaced Umberlee as an NPC only deity, Mask has taken Auril's place and for some reason I never noticed Yondalla was in the Forgotten Realms pantheon too, so she replaces Brandobaras. The new addon patch does fix the domains etc... the worldmap works for all locations that are currently functioning (although even if you do add Kuldahar to your known locations, you still get the kid telling you to end the demo or go back to Kuldahar Pass).

I will be adding ALL of the remaining maps to the game before progressing much further, mostly so I can get the worldmap travel bugs worked out fully, and add more appropriate looking random encounter maps than the stock ToEE ones (I will be raiding the maps from IWD II and perhaps Baldur's Gate and BG II for these maps as well). Once all the openable doors are removed from the maps on which they are noticable, and a few additional maps (which will require 2 versions of the same map due to graphical alterations to the map itself) are added, it could take a while to ad the additional files to make them work, add door transitions to the appropriate locations, sectoring, clipping etc etc... I'll probably start adding 1 chapter at a time from then on until it's done.

Allyx

Savant
It's been a while since I last updated the IWD-ToEE mod, which has been now been uploaded to ModDB.com

Download Icewind Dale - Total Conversion - Demo - Mod DB
132894.png

Allyx

Savant
Ah yeah, there's always a problem, fortunately this one is easy to fix, In the addons folder, make a new folder called:
Icewind Dale Demo Final
then move the Icewind Dale Demo Final.tpp file into that folder, use the Portrait Packs button in TFE-X.exe to activate it.

Allyx

Savant
All the maps that need editing graphically are done, half the maps have been split so ToEE can use them, and have been prepared and linked so you can travel between them, sectoring is underway to define walkable areas and ground surface types, visual sector blocking and clipping too.

So the first 4 chapters at least are just waiting for NPC's/monsters, dialogue, AI routines etc... :D

Some areas will require 2 maps as some "doors" dramatically alter the ground map, so teleporting between these maps might look a little funky, (assuming there isn't a way to flag every player controlled creature and teleport them to the corresponding location on the 2nd map) but it should still work ok-ish.

Cael

Arcane
How did you manage to code in the extra high level spells? Not even Co8 managed that feat...

Cael

Arcane
How did you manage to code in the extra high level spells? Not even Co8 managed that feat...
Probably Temple+.
Was Temple+ the mod that added in the spells already existing in the game but normally unavailable to PCs? I can't remember. It has been a long while since I played it. I remember my mod pack got rid of the level cap, but the higher level spells were very truncated because they couldn't put in stuff that wasn't already in the game, and so made do with what was already there.

Codex Year of the Donut
Probably Temple+.
Was Temple+ the mod that added in the spells already existing in the game but normally unavailable to PCs? I can't remember. It has been a long while since I played it. I remember my mod pack got rid of the level cap, but the higher level spells were very truncated because they couldn't put in stuff that wasn't already in the game, and so made do with what was already there.
AFAIK Temple+ is a mostly reimplementation of the engine itself by intercepting all calls to the temple.dll file(? I don't know Windows well enough to speculate how it would be done there.)
This allowed them to fix a lot of bugs/add things that co8 was incapable of adding.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom