Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

[deleted]

gaussgunner

Arcane
safespace.png

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
Somebody probably suggested it, but modding games helps. Doesn't matter if its modeling, texturing, animation, scripting

Morrowind is pretty friendly for modding, or you can make a NWN 1-2 Module?

Also try making a TWINE game

Last edited:
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Yeah, and thank you very much, my man! You've been the best help. Much better than the ASSHOLE who told me to start by making a massive design document when I don't know nothing about games

A design document doesn't have to be massive. In fact, the idea in your head is your design document. However, when working in a team, it helps to write down the concept and flesh it out so everyone is on the same page.

Writing down the basic idea would be a good idea for you to do also. It would help you keep on track with the vision you have. As time goes by, your vision may change if you encounter hurdles when bringing your idea to life.

Edit: I hadn't read Keldryn's post (#68) when I wrote this reply, TGA. He nailed it in that post imo.

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

Davaris

Self-Ejected
Developer

Something about the first part of this video cracks me up. The fact everyone does it and his goofy acting. Its good advice, but few will take it.

adrix89

Cipher
Why are there so many of my country here?

Something about the first part of this video cracks me up. The fact everyone does it and his goofy acting. Its good advice, but few will take it.

Bullshit.

The real method is get that sweet Early Access cash and string them along. If you can complete the game you failed from the start.

"The Game" needs to have infinite potential.
Not just BIG but infiniteeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee...
[ ∞ ]

Agesilaus

Antiquity Studio
Patron
Developer
Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

Marvel at my creation, mortals

Once I have implemented dialogues, I will be more powerful than you could ever imagine

Snorkack

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
1. Learn python.
2. program tic tac toe clone, arkanoid clone, snake clone.
3. Learn how to write a design document.
4. Program the same or similar clones using a free engine like unity
By this point, you should have a grasp of what lies within your capabilities.

Python is not too good for games, as packaging/deploying them is cumbersome to be the least.
I'd say starting with C#/Unity would be more useful to get into indie game dev. Unity is also a marketable skill in the game industry (Python is great if you are interested in general software programming, but this does not seem to be the case).
Writing design documents is certainly not something you should focus on early. Later on, when you gather a large team, it should be done, but you have plenty of time to get there.
I think python is an amazing language to learn in general. It's easy to learn, it supports multiple paradigms, it is portable and got plenty support. Even if TO doesn't dive into game development big time, he now has a tool at his disposal that can help him solving all kinds of computer related problems. C# is a good choice, too, especially if you already know you'll eventually want to use unity.
As for design documents, I think it is absolutely essential especially early on. Just consider the arkanoid clone. Even a simple project like that falls apart if you just start to code it without a plan, eventually got your ball ricocheting and block breaking in place and now decide that it would be cool to implement a few powerups.
I'm not talking about an industry-grade document to attract investors and coordinate the work of your employees. But you really should have something you can refer to where every planned feature is listed, described and explained how features are supposed to interact with each other ideally before you write a single line of code.
But how do games in python even look like?
Like that: http://www.pygame.org

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
1. Learn python.

Python is not too good for games, as packaging/deploying them is cumbersome to be the least.
I'd say starting with C#/Unity would be more useful to get into indie game dev. Unity is also a marketable skill in the game industry (Python is great if you are interested in general software programming, but this does not seem to be the case).
Writing design documents is certainly not something you should focus on early. Later on, when you gather a large team, it should be done, but you have plenty of time to get there.
I think python is an amazing language to learn in general. It's easy to learn, it supports multiple paradigms, it is portable and got plenty support. Even if TO doesn't dive into game development big time, he now has a tool at his disposal that can help him solving all kinds of computer related problems. C# is a good choice, too, especially if you already know you'll eventually want to use unity.
As for design documents, I think it is absolutely essential especially early on. Just consider the arkanoid clone. Even a simple project like that falls apart if you just start to code it without a plan, eventually got your ball ricocheting and block breaking in place and now decide that it would be cool to implement a few powerups.
I'm not talking about an industry-grade document to attract investors and coordinate the work of your employees. But you really should have something you can refer to where every planned feature is listed, described and explained how features are supposed to interact with each other ideally before you write a single line of code.
This. For the love of god, if someone doesn't know programming, but wants to start learning, Python should be the number one. I have learned the very basics in Python, and after that even JavaScript and GameMaker Language was easier to get into. One probably won't make a game in Python, (although there is Pygame) but it is a great starting point.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Listen here TGA, I am a professional at failing as an indie developer, so heed my voice. This is how you start getting into business:

(Zero: Make an RPG Maker game and publish it on Steam to get some money. But you can miss this point if you don't want to waste your time.)
First: get familiar with coding through Python. You don't have to be a pro, but do a string of tutorials which will make you understand how programming works.
Second: start with a 2D game. 3D as your first try won't lead you anywhere. So, download Gamemaker Studio (or Studio 2). Trial is free. You can make 2D with Unity, but it is simpler in Gamemaker and you can do so much in gamemaker.
Third: start doing Shaul Spalding's Gamemaker Tutorials from the beginning (or Heartbeast's, although I like Shaun more).
Forth: If you manage to finish the tutorials and you still don't hate all this crap, make a one or two page design document about your game. It doesn't have to be more, but plan out the basics.
Fifth: start prototyping your game in gamemaker (using coding, not that drag and drop crap), slowly improving it. Don't mind about using your own shitty art at first.

Congrats, you are a shitty game developer now. But at least you started and if you enjoy it, you can improve and be a better developer.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Make an RPG Maker game and publish it on Steam to get some money.

How does your game sell, J_C ?
Well it is an RPG maker game with stock graphics, what do you think? :D

I have sold 200 copies on all platforms give or take (most of them on Steam obviously) at full price or at a slight sale. Plus it was in cheap bundle which resulted in an additional 1300 (but that didn't earn much money obviously). Not that I'm complaining, it earned back the little money I invested around 3 times.

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

Davaris

Self-Ejected
Developer

I have sold 200 copies on all platforms give or take (most of them on Steam obviously) at full price or at a slight sale. Plus it was in cheap bundle which resulted in an additional 1300 (but that didn't earn much money obviously). Not that I'm complaining, it earned back the little money I invested around 3 times.

Its a pity Steam closed that avenue off. I don't understand it. They whined they were getting too many games. That is as silly as Youtube complaining, they have too many videos. :roll:

Did you count every hour you worked on it, or are you just talking about the assets and programs you bought for it?

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer

Did you count every hour you worked on it, or are you just talking about the assets and programs you bought for it?
Only the assets I bought. I didn't count the manhours precisely, but Steam showed almost 1000 hours in RPG Maker. Plusz dozens of hours spent on making some of the art, finding music and sound effets, writing and designing. So it could somewhere between 1100-1400 hours. But this was all spent in my spare time, when I was not at work.

Its a pity Steam closed that avenue off. I don't understand it. They whined they were getting too many games. That is as silly as Youtube complaining, they have too many videos. :roll:
I'm not complaining. Running through Greenlight was a chore. It was never about quality, it was about finding people who give a vote for you voting their own games. And of course you could spend a ton of money on Steam groups for advertising.

Steam Direct will be much cleaner and easier, and paying that 100 dollar per game is managable even for a poor sod like me.

Self-Ejected

Davaris

Self-Ejected
Developer
1. Learn python.

This. For the love of god, if someone doesn't know programming, but wants to start learning, Python should be the number one. I have learned the very basics in Python, and after that even JavaScript and GameMaker Language was easier to get into. One probably won't make a game in Python, (although there is Pygame) but it is a great starting point.

Yeah, starting out with C# would be a mistake for a beginner. If the newbs can wade though this wall of text, it might save them some pain down the road.

https://www.reddit.com/r/godot/comm..._i_love_godot_but_i_want_to_make_the/d6ylak8/

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk

incredible! :D I'm happy it worked out for you, but it shows that people would buy a sack of shit if it was on steam.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer

incredible! :D I'm happy it worked out for you, but it shows that people would buy a sack of shit if it was on steam.
Umm, thanks....I guess.

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
If anyone wants to help me with some writing, that would be appreciated.

I've more or less figured out what kind of DeclineMachine I wanted to make. Basically a first person RPG, focus on rough permadeath. Somewhat sandboxy, you move into a hex, get given a randomly generated map, move through it. There'd be like 4 or so dungeons and 3 villages. Really small scale. Game would be based around fast replays. Only "story" involves finding one of three Patrons and taking their quest on. Meant to be challenging, and the dungeons will have fixed locations, so your goal as a player is to attempt to gather the best items and go after the other patrons. So basically a hex-crawling version of the original ravenloft module.

Only four classes: Warrior, Cleric, Thief, Wizard

There'd only be a handful of spells, none of which would be obtained by levelup, they'd be found in dungeons. Same placement every time so Codexers could, if they wanted, bum-rush to the most powerful shit and use it. Clerics start with a full compliment of spells but fucking up spells means your god gets upset, and to restore a god's happiness with you, you have to waste resting time not healing others but rather doing supplications. Warriors will be able to use alt-fire modes with weapons that can do things like stun or knockdown enemies. Wizards can either sell their souls to one of the patrons for all of the spells, Warriors can pledge to the Baron, another patron, for a full kit-out, and Clerics can speak to the arch druid for immunity from gods hating them.

Anyway whee

Help with writing is a little vague.

Agesilaus

Antiquity Studio
Patron
Developer
Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
When is a game ready for its own thread and or further promotion?

At this point, my game has a fully functional first chapter. That means main menu, intro slides, first town, darklands style encounters, tactical turn-based battles, and an inventory/stats/journal/help screen. The writing is incomplete, the artwork is programmer art, and there's no sound.

I plan to post a new video within a week (depending if I get stuck in trial this week), but am I right that it's too early to make new thread or setup a website? My judgment is that I cannot take that step until I have fully replaced the programmer art with quality stuff. That brings me to my next problem...

Has anyone here had to deal with missing contractors? I found a pixel artist who was easy to get along with and had a measure of talent. I said I would contract him after seeing a demonstration of what he'd do for my project. He made a mock-up of the main character that was good and now I want to throw money at him. However... he just disappeared? It's been a fortnight now and no response from him. I am literally trying to pay him for the work he has done, and to get more work done, but he's disappeared. Weird.

gaussgunner

Arcane
When is a game ready for its own thread and or further promotion?
When it's finished?

Has anyone here had to deal with missing contractors? I found a pixel artist who was easy to get along with and had a measure of talent. I said I would contract him after seeing a demonstration of what he'd do for my project. He made a mock-up of the main character that was good and now I want to throw money at him. However... he just disappeared? It's been a fortnight now and no response from him. I am literally trying to pay him for the work he has done, and to get more work done, but he's disappeared. Weird.

Well, I'm a contractor. You have to be insistent with contractors, they get busy with other things and might ignore you if you only send 1 message.

It's also possible that you scared him off so badly that he doesn't even want to get paid for fear of getting more work offers from you, just wants to shrink into the bushes and pretend he never knew you. :lol:
Maybe he hates your style, maybe you bombarded him with emails/chats/voicemails, maybe you said "i want to make an rpg, have no skills"...

Wayward Son

Fails to keep valuable team members alive
If you are that close to done, I'd just finish it with your own art, even if it's shitty and then hope that someone will offer to redo your art.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom