Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Completed I want to be an Urist - A community Dwarf Fortress LP

Krash

Arcane
Paging:
- Destroid
- Berekän
- Muty

Any of you guys interested in a turn in the near future? That is, after Stereotypical Villain (if he accept this great LPing honor). Doesn't even need to be a full year if you don't want, even a single update would be neat (as long as we get the save after ofc).

Krash

Arcane
Oh, and in case of absolute emergency I'll take over, don't worry the LP won't die. It's just that my massively OCD dwarf fortress playstyle makes my forts way too safe and boring for FUN endings to be possible (unless it's on purpose ofc). + It's good fun to read others' stories too.

Sorry to disappoint (as I always do) but I've never ever played Dwarf Fortress. If I had a bit of experience with it I'd certainly do at least two updates followed by a GLORIOUS PEOPLE'S REVOLUTION in which the despot king Ess Vee of proud clan Frostilicus was overthrown by CHARISMATIC MAN OF PEOPLE Krash.

Alas... I shall once again have to suffer the jeers of my peers as my wish for fanfic goes unfulfilled. Q_Q

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
I'd voulenteer but
1) My dwarf fortress experience is minimal
2) I've a track record of abandoning LPs and
3) Ulminati died a TRU DORF BRO death to OBSIDIAN ENTERTAINMENT via STEAM several updates ago.

Urist McLurker

Learned
Random lurker here. I've got some experience at Dwarf Fortress(Not all that much, just hopefully enough to avoid ruining everything) and quite a lot of free time currently, though absolutely no experience at doing a LP whatsoever, but I'll give it a go if you lot need another player. Who can then fail horribly, and then fade back into the world of lurking.

I'd rather try and help than risk losing a Dwarf Fortress LP like the last one.

Phelot

Arcane
Random lurker here. I've got some experience at Dwarf Fortress(Not all that much, just hopefully enough to avoid ruining everything) and quite a lot of free time currently, though absolutely no experience at doing a LP whatsoever, but I'll give it a go if you lot need another player. Who can then fail horribly, and then fade back into the world of lurking.

I'd rather try and help than risk losing a Dwarf Fortress LP like the last one.

We have a volunteer! Take him before he gets away

Krash

Arcane
Alright Urist you're on. Just copy the formats of the other players' turns and it'll work out good I'm sure.

For help, there's always this thread and/or the DF wiki. I suggest looking up how to deal with the vampires (as GarfunkeL did), cos otherwise their might not be many dwarfs left by the end of your turn.

Urist McLurker

Learned
I'll get started tonight, but I don't know when the update will be. Depends on how quickly I get a hang of everything; I don't think it'll take longer than a few days(hopefully), but damnnit, it'll get done. Hopefully the freetime I have to work on it will make up for my inexperience.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
Is obsidian magma-proof?
I'm thinking an appropriately dwarfy project would be to set up an obsidian-casting/mining operation* (water and magma both readily available) for the purpose of producing obsidian coffins. (Assuming they are magma proof). These then need to be hauled onto a trapdoor (I think drawbridges could be repurposed to serve this role) or similar perched high above the magma pipe and we can give the dead of Virgintraded to the care of the volcano god, placing them forever beyond the clutches of the unnamable horrors of the deep.

*Since this would necessairely generate FUN™ amounts of steam we could line the walls of the casting furnace with cages and have it double as an execution chamber for captured enemies

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
Then you know what must be done. Surrender our dead to the embrace of the volcano, only then will they be safe from the Lovecraftian horrors that dewll in the UnderMurk

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
...and then dig around the entire crypt to drop the room entire into the volcano!

Urist McLurker

Learned
I'll try my best to at least lay the groundwork for obsidian production and some kind of ritualistic delivery method to please the volcano overlord/god/whatever.
I mostly just want to makes sure everyone doesn't start murdering eachother, looks like a quarter of the fortress is on the brink of starting a tantrum sprial; I think I counted 21 dwarves in the state of miserable, like three or so at the happiness of very unhappy. The last few days of the prior year that wasn't recorded by Hellraiser has already given me enough for a 'good-enough size' update, I might get it posted today. It'll give me a chance to get a hang of how to do the updates anyway.

If I've got it right, on the to-do list there's sorting out the possible vampire problem, farmland, military, housing, the general unhappiness problem, the odd bit of insanity, the worrying state of food supply(Though I'm sure we have enough to last until the elves come to trade. Unless we pissed them off, in which case we might be in trouble. I'll have to check that..), the non-farming related water issue we seem to be having with the hospital, maybe beefing the defence up, finishing the tomb of the baronness, the last touches to the magma forges, any megaprojects that we might possibly have and I've forgotten about, the miners(Already discovered one of the miners wasn't set to mining duty, and is very rusty at mining(no idea how much time it takes 'til a miner gets v.rusty so it looks like we've only had one miner working for a while. Iron/wood/supplies, and finally equipment for the military.
I've most likely missed a few things, but I want to tackle as many of these things without horribly dying, so I might either lock down the fortress or beef the defence up and focus solely on making sure everything doesn't go too far into the realm of FUN.
Of course the main problem is that I've only got experience dealing with maybe a quarter of the problems I've got to fix.

Can trade caravans go through floor hatches? I can't remember, I noticed the old enterance using that defence(Dunno if it still works though) and I'm going to copy it if it lets the caravans through. I'm also going to re-read the let's play because I'm sure I've forgotten a few things that has happened.

Krash

Arcane
What Hellraiser did to transform my ecstatic overfed flock into sad starved dwarfs will forever remain a mystary. :rpgcodex: I suspect collusion with the demons.

@ Urist:

I think the magma walkway entrance has good enough defenses for the time being. So if you want to go hands off with the military, you should still be ok. (But more traps are of course never wrong; I recommend iron serrated discs.)

Urist McLurker

Learned
28th Obsidian, Diary of Urist "McLurker", The interim mayor.

Looks like I'll be staying as temporary mayor for longer than I thought.
Straight away from hearing the news, Mestthos goes insane. Poor gal has gone berserk. The horror of losing our glorious and being passed for the job of being mayor was simply too much for her to handle. That makes me sad, I don't know if this feeling is from being insulted or pitying her. The loss of the Fearless Leader has hit many dwarves hard, since her death at least five dwarves have reacted..very badly to her death..
QCnyx.png

0EJPR.png

agrpw.png

AtVOK.png

g8jrf.png

66wwk.png

[Yeah I know it says first of granite but I couldn't be bothered to edit them all; the page numbers would've gave it away anyway.]
I'm trying to keep strong by thinking of her message, not her death.
No diary, not the message about being eaten, the other one.

1st Granite, Diary of Urist "McLurker", The interim mayor.

Mestthos still hasn't been stopped or calmed down.
bGliC.png

Not quite sure what do to about her.. I just hope she doesn't kill the penhen. She's the pet of Miserable Moldash the Swordsdwarf's wife, and they've got over 4 family members in the fortress, plus they're friends with a lot of the fortress!

Oh and then there's the food.
Or lack thereof. We're technically out of actual 'food'.
PfE9k.png

Okay, well, that's not completely true. We have "prepared meals". I could only find maybe a hundred... couple hundred, in the food stockpiles, but according to the ledger there's 304 of them. The - quite rightly so- disgusted book keeper couldn't bare to list them as anything other than, well, other.
Maybe that's what the baronness was rambling about in her last moments. Not telling us we better start praying to be eaten first, but praying to eat first! Warning us all about the dangerous food situtation.. And we stuck her down for it..Oh my we're monsters, horrible, horrible monsters..SHE JUST WANTED TO HELP US AND SHE WAS STRUCK DOWN FOR IT WE'RE NO BETTER THAN THE ELVES SHE HATED!!!!
[I might be wrong, but we have 304 meals, 103 dwarves. Dwarves eat like three times a season right? Not counting any deaths/new dwarves, it looks like the food will run out rather soon unless I'm very much mistaken, or are the seeds edible or something?]

Okay I've calmed down my diary..After having a drink with Zaneg.
I found out that the bitch has been slacking her duty by being married to an engraver who's been spreading rumours about how hard she works! Amazing what you can find out by getting someone very very very very drunk for no reason whatsoever to do with any supposed-to-happen orgy. You know me and my not doing that.(HAHA DIARY I'M STRAIGHT ANYWAY)
As if slacking work at a time like this was bad enough, SHE'S OUR ONLY OTHER GODDAMN MINER THE USELESS DOLT SHE SHOULD BE MURDERED ON THE SPOT, KILL THE WITCH! KILL HER!!!
9vFNr.png

782Se.png

Ha, ha, yeah..This has been fixed post haste.

Oh and diary says it looks like the swordsdwarves might have gone crazy with power. But I've promised diary not to tell them about his wild ideas.
XvseR.png

AsfHi.png

I'm sure it was in selfdefence/thechilddidit/thob and morul were about to go on a murderousrampage/thesoldierswereframed
Besides, it happened ages ago. Right? Opal 253 was like, last year mid summer. Right? Right!?
Yeah. That's right diary. Nothing to worry about.
You're being paranoid diary, you haven't been with it since the baroness died. You sure did love her..

Besides diary, the ledger _Clearly_ says that they were following on the baronesses' orders, see? Thob and Morul both ignored her prohibitions.
lk6E9.png

JgWR0.png

Nothing to worry about. It was just true dwarven justice.
... I wonder why they have charges against them on the dwarven justice ledger when all they were doing was dealing dwarven justice. That's funny.

I've set about some more changes. The "mayor"(Aren't I the mayor now?!) has already nagged me 17 times since I took the job about actually having something other than a floor to call home, and I've set about giving everyone a room. Even if they aren't finished, it's better than nothing.
uU9rA.png

672vE.png

There sure is a lot married couples here. I mean, I've always known that. We meet a lot of married couples right diary? So it makes sense but..Still..It feels like loads of the fortress is married.
Makes giving them all rooms really easy though.

I'm hearing more yelling from Mestthos, I better see what's going on.

[TL;DR: Update might be small, but I'm trying to work out wtf I'm doing. Give feedback.
Okay so while I've barely unpaused,(I think the idle dwarves count went down as I unpaused for a bit, but the actual date is still the first of granite) but I wanted there to be an update rather soon to a: sort out any problems I might have with the actual updating before a full update, b: cover the things that were missed out last year that set the general mood for what looks like a right balls out experience of a year, c: set up the character, the interim mayor seemed like a right sycophant and perverted creep to me, so I'm expanding on the craziness and I want some minor feedback on it before going fully in, and finally d: make sure there's goddamn update for me to read. So yeah, be harsh and stuff, I gotta learn somehow. I might change which image site I'm using to see which one suits me best/works, hopefully I've got this stuff right otherwise I'll fix it as soon as I can.]

Krash

Arcane
An update! :salute:

[I might be wrong, but we have 304 meals, 103 dwarves. Dwarves eat like three times a season right? Not counting any deaths/new dwarves, it looks like the food will run out rather soon unless I'm very much mistaken, or are the seeds edible or something?]

DF wiki sez:

Dwarves require 2 units of food and 4 units of drink each season.

Better get on that food production!

Okay so while I've barely unpaused,(I think the idle dwarves count went down as I unpaused for a bit, but the actual date is still the first of granite)

Wait, all this death an misery and you've barely started? :lol: This will be interesting.

but I wanted there to be an update rather soon to a: sort out any problems I might have with the actual updating before a full update, b: cover the things that were missed out last year that set the general mood for what looks like a right balls out experience of a year, c: set up the character, the interim mayor seemed like a right sycophant and perverted creep to me, so I'm expanding on the craziness and I want some minor feedback on it before going fully in, and finally d: make sure there's goddamn update for me to read. So yeah, be harsh and stuff, I gotta learn somehow. I might change which image site I'm using to see which one suits me best/works, hopefully I've got this stuff right otherwise I'll fix it as soon as I can.]

Everything sounds sweet to me. I particularly like how you've weaved in what happens in the fort with your storytelling - that's the true essence of DF greatness.

Is the prison in order? If there's none all sentences will be beatings/hammerings, and if the dwarf administering justice is strong it mostly results in death. And some dwarfs are hard to replace, especially good military ones.

Hellraiser

Arcane
What Hellraiser did to transform my ecstatic overfed flock into sad starved dwarfs will forever remain a mystary. :rpgcodex: I suspect collusion with the demons.

Try doing better when you get like 60 migrants knocking at your door due to all the jewgold virgintraded has.

EDIT:

Dwarven bros honor the baroness Hellraiserin by chilling at her life-like statue :hero:

Urist McLurker

Learned
I have literally spent 1 and a half seconds unpaused so far. When I was moving around the fortress I some how managed to unpause the game for maybe half a second each time by shift > and shift <. I'm fairly sure that's when it happened.

I don't think we have a prison. I'm not _completely_ sure on how to make one, but I have made a few before, I just don't remember if they worked/were remotely useful.

EDIT: Guys, it's not looking good for the fortress. Five days in and there's been two deaths, one insanity, and about 6 tantrums, and there'll most likely be another death soon.
Hopefully will make good reading and it ought to end rather gloriously. At this rate I don't think we need to worry about having more players.

Phelot

Arcane
Okay so while I've barely unpaused,(I think the idle dwarves count went down as I unpaused for a bit, but the actual date is still the first of granite)

Wait, all this death an misery and you've barely started? :lol: This will be interesting.

Wasn't all the death left over from the last update?

Also, so those murders in Hellraiser's turn were from some other dwarves?

Krash

Arcane
Vampire dwarfs. They sometimes infiltrate forts. Brand new FUN feature of the newest DF versions.

Urist McLurker

Learned
I'm not so sure about there being a vampire, it's a possiblity but looking at the state of the fortress, most of the deaths that have happened seem to have direct causes and reasons from what I've found. I've also taken a long look at all of the dwarves and none of them seem to be vampires. The vampire might have already been killed if there was one though, which is sadly possible.

Hellraiser

Arcane
It was definitely a vampire, dorfs don't just mysteriously die out of dehydration only to be found weeks later unless you bury them alive or something. Especially when we did have a proper stockpile of booze.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom