Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Completed I want to be an Urist - A community Dwarf Fortress LP

Krash

Arcane
title.png

Slaves to Codexia: Histories of Butthurt and Decline part 2 (part 1 here)

The previous, majestic, community fort is more or less dead, and now there's a new DF version out with bugfixes and all. Which means it's time for a new DF LP! Once again will seven dwarfs strike the earth to make themselves a new home, their fate guided by Codexers (who may or may not know what they're doing).

This LP will work just like the previous one. Each player plays one year, then passes on the save to whoever is next in line. To keep the ball rolling, there's a limit of two weeks real time per successor. If you're unable to finish your turn that's fine! Just upload the save and the next in line will get a few DF months extra.

I recommend you pick yourself a dwarf as ruler, and build yourself a fancy tomb or monument to commemorate your reign. Other dwarfs can be claimed by anyone.

Version we'll use: http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=6108 (includes generated world)

Chapters:
Succession order:
  • Cassidy
  • Krash
  • Hellraiser
  • Urist McLurker
  • Nyarmith
  • Undead Phoenix
DF Help: For those who don't know how to play, the dwarf Oddom Waroil has written a brilliant book:

28u4m1i.jpg

Unfortunately it's out of print and hard to find, so for the rest of you there's the DF wiki.

Krash

Arcane
Now, without further ado:

The world of Codexia (Kolobramul, the Infinite Plane)

35bryar.jpg

Kolobramul is a small, fairly mineral rich continent, suffering from a major infestation of necromancers enslaving nations with necromancy. During their off time, they write books. Such as this one:

35lc8x2.jpg

Self loathing, like all humans.

The Infinite Plane houses three glorious dwarf civilizations:

- The Green Standards have fought plenty with the goblins in the north and have occupied some of their fortresses. Their first king Tholtig was abducted by a night monster and transformed into a starved freak, then left to wander the wilds and attack aimlessly before he was ambushed and killed by a goblin. This left the dwarfs of the green standards a bit skeptical about anything not sprouting a beard, and their history is a long series of battles against goblins, bronze colossi, monsters, and whathaveyou, punctuated by constant, aggressive expansion.

- The Palace of Panthers is a smaller dwarf civ near the central coast. They've were initially heavily infiltrated by necromancers and even had one as queen for 80 years, but have fought back later on. Considering their modest expansion compared to the size of the mountain range they live in, they've probably had a difficult time. Half of their history is about fighting giant dingoes for some reason. Maybe it's the national sport?

- The Plaited Trade is a civ located in the same mountains as The Green Standards, and are shielded from goblins by the latter. They started off with a necromancer king, then graduated in 36 to a dwarf queen named Udib. She was pretty unlucky and lost all her kids save one at a young age. In an effort to prolong her own life, she became a cultist of the dwarf god Zar (god of death and fortresses) and was turned into a vampire. (She has 2630 kills. You'd think someone would have connected the dots by now, but nothing but suspicions...)

There's a bunch of pansy elves, humans and other stuff but they're not dwarfs and therefore not important. I bet they even like trees.

Cassidy

Arcane
Sign me up.

I recommend that evil northwest corner(purple means evil region, right?) for maximum disaster.

Krash

Arcane
Purple's evil yes, and since you're first in line you get to choose (that is if you want to go first).

Krash

Arcane
Two weeks from now. The limit is mostly there so we don't get too slowed down like in the previous LP. If you need more it's fine, as long as we're not talking months.

Cassidy

Arcane
I'm undecided between these:

2b5iyq.jpg

A volcano in the middle of a Glacier, where did I see that before?

hCnAw.jpg

Some RAW editing could spice it up, of course.

Is there anything more KKKodexian than a volcano base in the middle of a glacier?

Although it will take a while for challenges other than trying to survive itself to show up. Not dying of starvation and alcohol withdrawal rather than holding up against active threats will be the greatest challenge during the first years. And no flux, of course so no steel will ever come out.

The other possibility is:

28smyye.jpg

Notice that there is a glacier too in this area which will conveniently allow for the aquifer to be easily bypassed, while the two other biomes contain both shallow and deep metals and flux stone as well. It most certainly far more resource rich than the Volcano in the middle of a glacier location, with the disadvantage of no almost readily available magma forges. Hopefully lignite etc coal could offset that, but you can't start it up if you don't have charcoal first, and I don't think that spending too much time outside to cut and gather wood is a good idea. Alas, depending on how the weather is, spending any time outside might be a very, very bad idea except the glacier will hopefully not be affected by evil weather as it isn't deemed evil. Considering the nature of the biome, other than having less trouble finding water to irrigate farms because of the aquifer, it won't really be much different from the glacier. Probably it will be even more difficult.

Now perhaps it will have instant undeath. In that case, I'll already add some advices on how to handle it: first, I strongly recommend for the fortress to embrace vegetarianism except for getting rid of the first animals because they ruin FPS in the long term, and for a good reason: Last I checked even animal hides and hair can become undead. Unless Toady fixed it in the latest patch.

Also, in an undead cursed area a magma dump that is easily reachable is imperative both for the sake of the fortress survival and of not having huge hits in the game performance. Otherwise you'll end with hundeds of arms, hands, heads and other dismembered body parts or whole corpses roaming around. And last I checked if you dip already animated corpses in magma all you'll get will be pyre zombies that will not only be incredibly tough to kill, but also burn those fighting with them. Thus magma traps are as useless against undead as they are against dragons and fire imps.

And don't bother with coffins. You'll have to engrave memorials for the dead instead because they will otherwise rise from their graves shortly after they were put there.

Volcano in a Glacier or Cursed Cold Forests with either undead, killer rain or both? Which is better and why?

TripJack

Hedonist
:yeah:
:dance::dance::dance::dance:
:bro::bro::bro::bro:

tough choice bro

glacier volcano is more dwarfy but the hellish forest will provide for quicker and more complete annihilation despite the nicer resource selection

id say go with the volcano, magma access is always great and with codexian luck the evil biome would probably generate zombie dust clouds and kill everyone in the first month

Krash

Arcane
You're really looking to die young aren't you? :salute:

Go for the volcano glacier. Not everyone can handle undead and deadly rain (assuming of course anyone else gets their turn before RAEP). Too bad about no flux, but you can make most weapons/armor out of adamantine anyway.

Wonder why dwarfs would want to settle that place though?

TripJack

Hedonist
The embark screen could be lying about there being no flux. The first volcano site I tried said no flux but i found marble. Flux or steel can (usually) be traded for anyways if you really want it.

Wonder why dwarfs would want to settle that place though?
clearly they want to form a remote and inaccessible bastion of hope in a world full of decline and sorrow

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
Now we need a catchy name. Good luck topping my gem of a name with Anusblaze

35lc8x2.jpg

Bet I wasn't th eonly one who read that as "The Human and other Transvestites" :M

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
Anusblaze was randomly generated when I made a test embark in the world someone (who got butthurt and left kkkodex forevar) else made. I'm a little sad we didn't go with my embarkation site as well as the name, since I found a place with Zombie Carp :(

Krash

Arcane
Too bad we can't give it that name.
And why is only Cassidy volunteering? Where is Codexia's esprit de corps? :decline:

Cassidy

Arcane
Guys, if I create new creatures by editing raws in save game can I swap gobbos for them as the siegers or will they simply not exist because the worldgen was already done?

*Edit: found the answer,

If you don't want to start a new world, the only option for you is to mod goblins.

Do you mind if I replace the standard gobbos and alike for other things in the raws?

It doesn't make much sense for them to bother going that far anyway.

Krash

Arcane
Fine with me. Just don't tell us what the new creatures so we get a nice surprise when they eventually show up.

Cassidy

Arcane
Fine with me. Just don't tell us what the new creatures so we get a nice surprise when they eventually show up.

I'm afraid you'll have to resist clicking on a PM I sent you about it then because I can't delete it myself.

I'll first create new RAWS, backup everything, then replace the gobbos and friends with the new FUN

Hellraiser

Arcane
I think I could volunteer for some FUN, I have a basic grasp of how the game works. And by basic grasp I mean traumatic experiences of fortresses getting hit with major ITZ, dwarves getting depressed en masse and committing suicide, corpses littering the fortress halls spreading miasma everywhere. That is to say I actualy managed to have decently sized fortresses, that did survive various amounts of FUN that DF sent at them for a decade or two.

But for some reason I never found any of the iron ores, despite settling a destination with flux stone. I mean fuck, I had giant artificial pump and canal systems connected to a river built out of solid dolomite but I never found any fucking iron ore. I even found adamantine a few times but no iron, hematite, magnetite or whatever not even once. I think it is a curse or something.

However I prefer to be third in line of succession, I can't play DF and make screenshots until I get back home on tuesday. Wouldn't want to stall the FUN this LP will bring.

Krash

Arcane
Alright, I'll go before you, should give you some respite. But just so you know, the first real sieges tend to occur around the third year. :smug:

Cassidy

Arcane
Just finished changing the three primary elements of Goblin sieges: goblins themselves, Trolls and Ogres. Won't change mounts because they more or less still fit in.

Tests in the arena led to very satisfactory results.

Will post the first update soon.

Wish me luck. I'm going to need it, because the fastest way to get water for irrigating underground farms in a glacier is from the underground caves, and you know how exploring those caves and ended last time *cough* Nokast *cough*

*Edit:

9fmwih.jpg

I hope this doesn't affect the water in the caves too, otherwise this will be one hell of a challenge.

Krash

Arcane
I think you can irrigate with salt water, so making booze is possible, which solves the drinking problem. And if salt water doesn't work, you can still melt ice with magma to get fresh water.

Godspeed :salute:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom