Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

In Progress I Want to Be a Viking! Let's Play Heimdall - On Amiga

And now for something completely different...

The game is set in the world of Vikings and Norse mythology. Loki steals Odin's spear, Freyr's sword and Thor's hammer, rendering them powerless. They decide to create an infant, the title character (named after the god of the same name), who must bring back the three legendary weapons.

At the beginning of the game, the now adult Heimdall undergoes three arcade-style trials: axe-tossing (cutting a maid's braids), boar hunting and fighting. How well he does influences which crew members he can pick for the actual game. The characters belong to the 'classes' of Warrior, Wizard, Shipwright, Navigator, Druid, Blacksmith and Berzerker.

The game sees Heimdall and his crew (total of 6 characters) travelling around an archipelago of islands in three different maps: Utgard, Midgard and Asgard. On each island, only three characters can walk, while the rest remain on the ship. They travel engaging monsters in combat, interacting with the locals, solving puzzles and avoiding traps, a blend of styles somewhat similar to that found in the Legend of Zelda games. The cartoon-style action is viewed in the isometric perspective.

- Ripped from wikipedia

I decided to do another LP. But this time something other than real time tactics games. Reason for choosing this game is very simple - I wanted to play it anyway and making LP will force my lazy ass to actually finish this thing. I know absolutely nothing about the game other than it's action-adventure with little RPG elements and it came out in 1991. So put your pseudo viking cap and let's dive straight into it:

Oh, I'm using WinUAE 1.4.6 (it's the last one that works on Win98) with 1.3 kickstarter roms and emulating OCS Amiga 500 with 512 slow ram if it matters to anyone. I actually had amiga 500+ when I was a kid, my friend had Amiga 1200 and I was sooo envious of it. My family sold our amiga 500+ together with monitor when we switched to PC (around 1996-1997). I don't know what happened with my friends A1200, I think it broke and was thrown away.... shame.

Also, you may notice that some of the screenshots are slightly not in the center of the screen. That's because I'm using OpenGL filter/scaler thingy. I would not use it normally and simply play on low resolution so everything would be fullscreen anyway. But it would make screenshots tiny. So I had to play on 1024 for 748 and just use scaler to make shit fill the screen. Using scaler had it problems, mainly it eats resources and slower machine may have problems emulating everything properly (first thing to go wrong is sound, so you won't notice if my machine have problems emulating). But it seems to work fine, even sounds run ok, which is strange (I'm on Duron 1.2 GHZ with 254 ram harhar) but whatever.

Ok, NOW let's dive into it...

Intro:

1.jpg

Never heard of them to be honest.

2.jpg

No, I want to watch it please...

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

10.jpg

12.jpg

13.jpg

14.jpg

15.jpg

16.jpg

17.jpg

18.jpg

Missed one screen, sorry:

IT WAS`NT UNTIL FREY STOOD UP TO OFFER A PLAN THAT WOULD RETRIEVE THE WEAPONS
THAT THE GODS CALMED DOWN.
20.jpg

21.jpg

22.jpg

23.jpg

24.jpg

25.jpg

26.jpg

So Thor shagged a chick named Ingrid and we were born.

27.jpg

And in the next episode... WE WILL PRESS 3 HOLY CRAP!

We won't cheat but I will use savestates. They are reliable and very fast so why bother with using in game save feature and fuck around with disks. this game came out on 5 floppies so that's fucking enough floppies for me, thank you. WinUAE in theory can emulate up to 4 additional floppy drives, but games not always recgonize all of them and simply want every fucking disk in DF0 or DF1 and there is nothing you can do about it. Well you can try to install them to hard drive or use WHDload but I never had much luck with it so I'll stick to floppies for now.

------------
TABLE OF CONTENT:

Midgard:

Update 1 - Attributes minigames and choosing Crew
Update 2 - Trip to first island and failure to satisfy junkie
Update 3 - Second Island, scroll of Descension and power rune
Update 4 - First big island part 1
Update 5 - First big island part 2
Update 6 - Getting out of first big island (now named island nr 3)
Update 7 - Return to first island
Update 8 - Trip to fourth island, spiders and magic potion
Update 9 - Trip to fifth island, shopping and holy wine
Update 10 - Way of the Viking and sixth island's shopping
Update 11 - Seventh island, potion of runelore and mysterious diamond
Update 12 - Labyrinth Island
Update 13 - Puzzle Tree Island
Update 14 - Reaching for the stars...
Update 15 - Shrinking and serpent killer scrolls
Update 16 - Thor's Hammer

Utgard:

Update 1 - First steps in the land of the giants.
Update 2 - Mimir's Well
Update 3 - Norns
Update 4 - Pissing off dragons
Update 5 - Diamond key
Update 6 - Tiny island is tiny
Update 7 - Island of many doors and dwarven necklace.
Update 8 - What gods want?
Update 9 - Shrinking spell
Update 10 - 8Th Day Pulling off Sierra.
Update 11 - Sweet smell of progress.
Update 12 - Reward for helping Norns.
------------

Midgard update 1

In which we press "3" and then we do some stupid attribute minigames before we can start game proper. Then we choose our crew (or I choose and you just watch, just beacuse).

1.jpg

We press 3 of course!

THIS PART OF THE GAME IS USED TO DETERMINE YOUR ATTRIBUTE SCORE.THIS SCORE IS
NEEDED FOR 2 REASONS;FIRSTLY TO DETERMINE YOUR PERSONAL ATTRIBUTES,TO BE
DIVIDED INTO SEVERAL CATERGORIES INCLUDING-STRENGTH..AGILITY..HEALTH..ECT,ITS
SECOND USE IS TO ALLOW YOU TO SELECT YOUR TEAM OF FOLLOWERS. YOU MUST SELECT 5
ADDITIONAL MEMBERS TO ACCOMPANY YOU ON YOUR QUEST,PICKED FROM A SELECTION OF UP
TO 30,DEPENDING ON YOUR SCORE IN THIS STAGE OF THE GAME,FOR EXAMPLE YOU MAY
ONLY HAVE A CHOICE OF 21 BECAUSE YOUR SCORE IS TO LOW TO SEE ALL 30.

Fragment of manual about attribute minigames.

2.jpg

sighh.... We instert right disk and then we try our best at first minigame which is:

Don't kill Helga the Barmaid.

HEIMDALL FINDS HIMSELF CAUGHT UP IN SOMETHING HE DOESNT UNDERSTAND,UNTIL THE
VILLAGE ELDERS TAKE HIM TO ONE SIDE AND EXPLAIN THAT THE BOY WHICH LEGENDS
SPEAK OF IS ACTUALLY HIM.
YOU HAVE BEEN GIVEN 10 AXES WITH WHICH TO CUT OFF THE EIGHT PIG TAILS OF HELGA
THE BARMAID.UNFORTUNATELY AS THIS IS YOUR FIRST VENTURE INO THE VILLAGE INN,THE
STRONG ALE HAS AFFECTED YOUR AIM AND THE STEADINESS OF YOUR HAND.THIS SECTION
FINISHES WHEN YOU HAVE USED UP ALL OF YOUR 10 AXES OR HAVE SUCESSFULLY CUT OFF
ALL EIGHT PIG TAILS.YOUR RATING WILL DEPEND ON THE ACCURACY OF YOUR THROWING.

- Manual

3.jpg

We move green reticule by pressing arrow keys and then we press "fire" when we think we will hit pig tail and not Helga.

4.jpg

We missed first time. But at least Helga is still alive so that's something...

5.jpg

We managed to cut one pig tail with second throw!

6.jpg

And then we cut three more and Helga is still alive!

And now second minigame.

Pig Chasing... seriously?

AFTER LEAVING THE VILLAGE INN STILL UNDER THE INFLUENCE OF THE STRONG ALE-YOU
ARE TAKEN TO THE LOCAL PIG FARM WHERE YOU HAVE HAVE BEEN TOLD TO GO AND CATCH
ONE OF THE PIGS.TO MAKE YOUR TASK HARDER THE PIG HAS BEEN GREASED,SO IT CAN
ESCAPE FROM YOUR GRIP.THE TIME IS INDICATED BY THE SPINNING AXE AT THE BOTTOM
OF THE SCREEN.WHEN THE AXE REACHES THE RIGHT HAND SIDE OF THE SCREEN THE GAME
WILL END.BEWARE,IF YOU CORNER THE PIG,IT WILL WAIT AND THEN SUDDENLY CHARGE AND
KNOCK YOU OVER,WASTING VALUABLE TIME.YOUR SCORE IN THIS SECTION IS DETERMINED
BY YOUR SPEED IN CATCHING THE PIG.

7.jpg

We move Heimdall with arrow keys and then we supposed to press FIRE when we are near the pig to jump on it and catch it. Heimdall just kept jumping over the fucking pig when I tried so yeah, we didn't catched it.

8.jpg

Heimdall breakdancing near the pig...

OK, third and fortunately, last one:

Boat fighting test - Ok, that's sounds fucking viking!

9.jpg

Same control scheme but FIRE is used to chop shit instead of catching pigs.

10.jpg

We jumped down to... some ship thingy, now we have to move left to... ship front and collect bag of coins. But there are some dudes in our way. We have to kill them.

11.jpg

We move few steps in their direction and now we wait for their move.

12.jpg

They moved close to us and we... well we killed them but I didn't press screen capture button fast enough to catch fighting animation so they kinda just dissappeard on screenshots. Fortunately those are just starting minigames and game proper is less twitchy and easier to capture.

13.jpg

So yeah, imagine awesome fighting animations.

14.jpg

And then imagine yourself a nice jumping animations while we moved towards the bag of coins...

15.jpg

We now have to go back to where we started but there are more dudes on our way.

16.jpg

Hey, I managed to catch Heimdall jumping!

Well, and that's all I managed to catch. We made our way back and we finished this minigame and finally we will start the game proper.

17.jpg

Minigames are over and now we can choose our ship crew. We have to take 5 guys with us. There is 30 of dudes to choose from so I won't show you all of them. I will just show you whom I decided to take and his statistics.

18.jpg

And this is our team:

Heimdall The... We.
Aeigr The Warrior.
Ornr The Wizard.
Jarmes or Jarrnes the Navigator.
Melbrid the Blacksmith.
Olaf The Druid.

They all have different statistics and attributes and I don't know what they do because manual doesn't say anything about them. Characters have one thing in common though, they are all level 1 and suck balls.

AFTER GAINING YOUR ATTRIBUTE SCORES IN PART 1 YOU WILL NOW BEGIN PART 2,THE
MAIN GAME WHERE YOU CONTROL HEIMDALL IN HIS QUEST.THE AGE OF RAGNAROKIS ALMOST
HERE,AS THE CHOSEN ONE IT IS UP TO YOU TO EXPLORE THE WORLD OF THE VIKINGS
LOOKING,EXPLORING,FIGHTING AND SOLVING PUZZLES IN SEARCH FOR THE GODS WEAPONS.

1) THORS HAMMER

2) FREYS SPEAR

3) ODINS SWORD

THESE FORM THE MAJOR QUESTS OF THE GAME.HOWEVER,SEVERAL SUB-QUESTS ALONG THE
WAY WILL NEED TO BE SOLVED BEFORE YOU REACH EACH END OF LEVEL.

19.jpg

And this is pretty map screen where we choose to which Island go next (or from which Island start, in this case).

It works this way:

ALL MOVEMENT ON THE MAP IS CONTROLLED BY THE MOUSE. TO MOVE FROM ISLAND TO
ISLAND, MOVE THE POINTER OVER THE BOAT ICON AT THE RIGHT HAND SIDE OF THE
SCREEN,AND PRESS THE LEFT MOUSE BUTTON. ONCE YOU HAVE CLICKED ON THE BOAT ICON
YOU WLL BE ASKED TO CHOOSE THE ISLAND YOU WISH TO SAIL TO. MOVE THE POINTER
OVER THE ISLAND YOU WISH TO SAIL TO AND PRESS THE LEFT MOUSE BUTTON. IF YOU
TRAVEL TO AN ISLAND WHICH IS FURTHER AWAY THAN THE NUMBER OF DAYS FOOD YOU ARE
CARRYING, YOU WILL LOSE ENERGY DURING THE JOURNEY. YOU WILL NOT KNOW HOW MUCH
ENERGY YOU HAVE LOST UNTIL YOU HAVE ARRIVED AT YOUR DESTINATION. IF YOU HAVE A
NAVIGATOR AMONGST YOUR CREW THEN HE WILL WARN YOU IF YOU ARE LIKELY TO LOSE
ENERGY DURING THE TRIP. SOME ISLANDS ARE SIMPLY TO FAR AWAY AND IF YOU CLICK ON
ONE OF THESE YOU WILL BE TOLD IT IS IMPOSSIBLE TO TRAVEL THERE. WHEN YOU LEAVE
AN ISLAND AN ICON THE SHAPE OF A VIKING HELMET WILL BE PLACED ON THE ISLAND TO
INDICATE THAT YOU HAVE BEEN THERE.

So, in next episode we will actually start this game for real this time!

Emulating a amiga...
(I'm on Duron 1.2 GHZ with 254 ram harhar)
:what:

It works fine, I finished Ultima 3 and Curse of the Azure bonds on this "machine". I also played Tower Assault without any problems and TA requires ECS which I think is harder to emulate than OCS. Never tried to emulate AGA though, and won't because I remember only one AGA on my friends A1200 and it was crap.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Heimdall 2 is a fine puzzle game with action sequences.

Midgard update 2

In which we sail to nearest island... because it's nearest.

1.jpg

Ok you saw our crew and their statistic. It's not much to look at because all of them are level 1 and even our wizards can't cast magic yet. Now we have to choose on which island we will start to look for Gods lost weapons.

2.jpg

I choose the nearest one because we all have only one food ration each and those are consumed in journey.

3.jpg

I do wish to disembark, thank you.

4.jpg

And this is how the game actually looks like. We move Heimdall with arrow keys (or joystick if you play this on real amiga) and we can switch to different characters with F1 to F3 keys. We can switch to only first three because rest must stay on the ship.

5.jpg

Game have nice animations and pretty cool graphic for 1991.

6.jpg

Unfortunately it also has pressure plate puzzles. And I suck at those. So it may take some time...

7.jpg

Holy crap I done it. Stepping in 1 (from the bottom), 4, 5 and 6th stone worked. But don't use it as walkthrough because I don't remember exact order in which I stepped on plates.

Ok, let's go to next room.

8.jpg

9.jpg

There is a dude and a chest. Dude looks hostile and I think he's guarding this chest so let's deal with him first.

10.jpg

When we got near him and the battle screen appeared. We have option to run or fight. Of course we will fight! Combat is pretty simillar to first Elvira game or Quest for Glory 1.

11.jpg

Bar on the left is our enemy health. Right from the nice, animated enemy picture are health bars of our three characters that disembarked on island. Only one is fighting, but you can select which one.

This shit is real time and we have to select weapon we want to use (fists and sword in our case) and then press Attack (or try to cast spell but none of our characters is capabale of doing so).

Thing is, we have to press attack while enemy is trying to attack us, if we do it to early - he will block our blow. If we do it too late - we will get hit. We can also try to block his blows but that's for pussies.

12.jpg

13.jpg

14.jpg

15.jpg

16.jpg

It's a little bit twitchy. But not as horrible as some people on Lemon Amiga were saying it is.

17.jpg

Can we "Blood Eagle" him at least?

18.jpg

I very much wish to take those 50 gold pieces, thank you.

19.jpg

Ok, let's take a look at the chest now.

20.jpg

... yes.

21.jpg

I really would like to but I'm afraid I can't. So, no.

22.jpg

We take the key.

And then we also took:

2 Scrolls and one food ration.

Let's take a look at those scrolls.

23.jpg

We can acess crew screen by pressing "I". Only three crew members are with us though se we can't play with the other three.

24.jpg

Then we select Scroll from Heimdall's inventory and press "Examine".

Well, it looks like it's some sort of fire arrows/fireball spell. Pussy shit, not viking at all.

25.jpg

That's the second one. I don't know what "energy" is but I guess we will know when we run out of it...

26.jpg

And that's the key.

27.jpg

Ok, so let's see if this key fits the lock on this doors.

28.jpg

So we move near the doors and "use" key on them.

29.jpg

And we opened them. Let's go to next room then.

30.jpg

Some pillar blocking our way and another chest.

31.jpg

And we can't go to the other side of the room because the way is blocked.

32.jpg

Chest is our only hope!

33.jpg

Chest didn't explode and we have found more food, another key and another scroll in it. Let's examine this scroll...

34.jpg

Well, it's pretty obvious where we have to use it.

35.jpg

We select scroll from the inventory and press "use spell".

36.jpg

37.jpg

PROGRESS!

39.jpg

Another dude. But this one seems to be relaxed. We can't interact with anything else in this room so let's talk to this guy.

38.jpg

40.jpg

I don't know what the fuck he's talking about since I can leave this room just fine. He's probably meant some secret exit or something. Well, we don't have Hemlock Herb anyway so he's useless for now.

41.jpg

Then we wandered around this room for a while to see if we are not missing anything and I'm pretty sure we don't. So let's get back to the ship.

42.jpg

Yup.

43.jpg

So that's it for first island. We can't do anything more here because we don't have Hemlock for herb junkie.

In next episode we will travel to another island.

Midgard update 3

More islands and Aeigr who cannot into Runes.

1.jpg

Since there is nothing we can do on this island it's time to move to the next one.

2.jpg

We disembark with the same squad as before.

3.jpg

It looks like a lost forgotten tomb of a fallen hero! with a donuts on the floor!

4.jpg

We pick up donut, chicken leg and a pouch.

5.jpg

And another donut.

6.jpg

Some money, nice. And the rest was food.

7.jpg

Also, everyone who was with us on the last island gained 50 XP. I think that's for killing this orc looking guy.

8.jpg

Heimdall is hurt but I don't want to use our energy scroll yet. Well if Heimdall is too badly wounded to fight we still have Aeigr.

9.jpg

And now we move to the next room.

10.jpg

Evil creature! I'm not sure what it is but let's just pretend it's an orc. Heimdall is only at half HP but let's send him to fight anyway.

11.jpg

Running away is as un-viking as it get's so it's not an option.

12.jpg

Crap, more icons to click at. It actually makes combat harder since you have to choose with what weapon you want to attack every time (at least I think you have to)

13.jpg

I didn't managed to catch even one "slashing" animation this time. Goddamit.

14.jpg

But we beaten the crap out of this unfortunate creature.

15.jpg

16.jpg

Orc had a scroll. I hope it's healing scroll.

17.jpg

Not it's not. It seems like game doesn't know what the hell it is. Descension? like Descent?

18.jpg

Ok, let's pick up junk that's laying around.

19.jpg

20.jpg

21.jpg

That's a scroll that was laying on the floor. Unfortunately I don't understand a word of it.

22.jpg

Ok let's continue.

23.jpg

Well, that's look different.

24.jpg

But there's no way to the other side.

25.jpg

I tried to mess around with our wizard...

26.jpg

And warrior...

27.jpg

And then I realised that this scroll we found was in Aegir inventory when we tried to examine it. And Aegir has 0 Rune Lore so we tried with Heimdall and now we know what it is. So let's use it...

28.jpg

tadam!

29.jpg

30.jpg

Another scroll and Heimdall is running out of inventory space...

31.jpg

Ok... let's continue!

32.jpg

33.jpg

Well, it looks like that's it for this island.

34.jpg

In next episode we will sail some more and hopefully we will find a shop which sells healing scrolls because Heimdall is kinda beaten up.

nice to see another interesting LP with super fast updates...goodspeed, good sir!

Thank you kind sir. I prefer to do long session but with rather short updates so I can write commentary while I'm still playing and uploading it don't take forever. But it also means that there will be multiple short-ish updates with 30-40 screenshots each on one page so It may be rather annoying to wait for whole page to load if you want to read just one update.

This game seems pretty trippy. :salute:

Yeah, I never played it before and I must say I enjoy it quite a bit. Even though it may seem simplistic it has... charm, lots of it.

Midgard update 4

In which we visist big island. So it's good we have savestates because you can't otherwise save after you disermbark from the ship.

1.jpg

Let's change our islands raping squad a little. We'll leave Aigr and wizard on our Sea Serpent and we shall take navigator and druid with us.

2.jpg

And that's how we look with statistics. A little bit more XP but everyone is still level 1.

3.jpg

4.jpg

The big one please.

5.jpg

Grab yer axes and swords lads!

6.jpg

Eerie.

7.jpg

A chest. But it's behind pit traps.

8.jpg

There is pressure plate near.

9.jpg

We step on it and then wall starts to shoot arrows so we run away.

10.jpg

But it didn't change anything with pit traps so let's check other rooms.

11.jpg

Another pressure plate...

12.jpg

Stepping on it activated another arrow trap. Since it shoots non-stop I think we can't go any further here.

13.jpg

It also done nothing to pit traps near chest. But there are other rooms.

14.jpg

15.jpg

Donuts, chicken legs and some creature... let's try to heal Heimdall.

16.jpg

I ordered Heimdall to eat food and it healed him. Manual says that food is consumed while we sail between island but whatever.

17.jpg

Ghoul?

18.jpg

It doesn't want to talk with us... so let's kill it!

19.jpg

It actually kinda looks like Ghols from Myth and Myth 2.

20.jpg

Die you fiend!

21.jpg

It turns dark when it blocks.

22.jpg

And it rips us to pieces. I'm not fast enough with attacking.

23.jpg

24.jpg

And it killed us. Since we don't have any means to ressurect Heimdall yet I will reload.

25.jpg

Ok, this time for real!

26.jpg

27.jpg

28.jpg

29.jpg

30.jpg

Die, sucker!

Ghoul had - scroll, silver key and a circlet.

31.jpg

Unfortunately we don't have any small women in our party.

32.jpg

Let's loot the chest.

33.jpg

no...

34.jpg

The chest was traped and we got hit for 6 hit points. But we survived.

35.jpg

Silver coin was inside the chest.

36.jpg

37.jpg

More flying arrows.

38.jpg

We got hit by one arrow and chest trap. But we will eat donut and we should be fine. Inside the chest was a scroll (restore energy), food and a regular key.

39.jpg

We can't reach pressure plate so let's just get out of here. We managed to dodge arrows this time.

40.jpg

41.jpg

Ok, time for another room.

42.jpg

Orc!

43.jpg

I move for no man., orc.

44.jpg

45.jpg

46.jpg

47.jpg

48.jpg

49.jpg

Wimp!

50.jpg

He had key and a sword. I don't know why I decided to take this sword since we already have one.

51.jpg

Detect traps scroll.

52.jpg

And empty chest.

53.jpg

Flying arrows and invisible pit traps. I had fallen in one but didn't managed to make screenshot of it. Let's cast detect traps.

54.jpg

That's better.

55.jpg

Detect secret door scroll. I tried to use it but it just said there are no secret doors here.

56.jpg

57.jpg

By Freya's cunt there are many rooms on this island!

58.jpg

We picked up another silver coin.

59.jpg

And a can of spam.

60.jpg

Now let's check first room.

61.jpg

This looks like scene straight from Hero Quest.

62.jpg

He can look no further.

63.jpg

64.jpg

65.jpg

66.jpg

How dare you challenge Heimdall!

67.jpg

He had 25 gold coins. Now let's loot his chest.

68.jpg

Trap, well shit. There was a scroll inside the chest.

69.jpg

With a hint!

Then we went to the next room, killed an orc there and got ourselves few more restore scrolls and one disarm trap scroll. Something went wrong and UOSU didn't made any screenshots of it even though I spammed screen capture button. So I will cut this update here and we will continue in next one.

70.jpg

I wonder if bear traps count as "jaws"?

... Hey, it actually seems like it might be it. We shall see, unless savestate is bugged since I have to rely on them on islands maps. I made some in-game saves on WinUAE made ADF floppy image just in case. Savestates on WinUAE never failed me I used them to save my time in Hired Guns and completely relied on them in Ultima 4 (I was unable to make save disk in U4 and it seems like common problem). But I still remember savestates completely messing my game in Terror from the Deep on DosBox, but that was on unofficial SVN build od Dosbox.

Ok, let's continue our quest to become favorite viking of the gods!

TOME

Cuckmaster General
Holy shit. I played this Heimdall (this is Heimdall 2?) last summer with real Amiga but sadly one of the disks was damaged and the game crashed every time. Will follow this!

Midgard update 5

Big island part 2.
1.jpg

Ok, we are back I loaded savestate and everything is fine. We are not missing any XP and all items are on their place so we can now oficially rely on savestates. After reading hint we have found on one of the scrolls I was looking for room with some sort of jaw/mouth sculpture and then Azira pointed out that the "jaws" actually could be bear traps. Since there is only one bear trap in this room I don't think it's the one that hint scroll is talking about so let's look somwhere else.

2.jpg

3.jpg

Detect trap and disarm trap scrolls.

4.jpg

5.jpg

Let's check this room before we mess with closed doors.

6.jpg

A chest!

7.jpg

And a pit trap! they actually don't kill you, just damage you slightly. I thought they would instantly kill Heimdall since he fall into them in very nice animation but no, they just damage him.

8.jpg

Chest was empty, goddamit.

9.jpg

We moved down the corridor (falling into some pit traps)

10.jpg

11.jpg

Corridor is connected to another room but let's quickly check those closed doors in last room.

12.jpg

We use one of our regular keys.

13.jpg

14.jpg

Another Hero Quest scene. I can almost hear sound of rolling dice and see the mug of evil wizard staring at us from the corner of the screen...

15.jpg

Come get some, orc!

16.jpg

17.jpg

18.jpg

19.jpg

20.jpg

Let's rob his corpse.

21.jpg

Well, If Heimdall can't decipher it then it will stay as a mystery for us for a while.

22.jpg

Chest was empty and traped. We use one restore energy scroll mainly to make some more room in our inventory.

23.jpg

24.jpg

25.jpg

He's no longer a Ghoul. Now I remember how undead in norse mythology were called... I'm still not sure what he is and manual don't mention any enemies at all.

26.jpg

what? I think Heimdall is trippin' balls.

27.jpg

28.jpg

29.jpg

He went down very easily. We found scroll on his corpse.

It was just fire scroll so we throw it away because we are running out of inventory space. Then we found detect traps scroll on the floor and magic sword and a poch in a chest.

30.jpg

Sweet. Pouch had 10 gold coins in it.

31.jpg

Let's go back to corridor of death.

32.jpg

33.jpg

34.jpg

35.jpg

36.jpg

A chest and some food. Let's check the chest first.

37.jpg

Chest was trapped and I prefere to save my disarm traps for pits. We found another magic weapon. scroll of disarm traps and a key.

38.jpg

39.jpg

Ok and I'v read the hint scroll again. It says about TWO doors in room of the jaws and not about door in the room of TWO jaws. I not only suck at puzzles, I also barely can read...

40.jpg

41.jpg

42.jpg

Jaws! let's use Detect Doors scroll.

43.jpg

No secret doors here.

44.jpg

Pit trap. We used detect traps scroll but apparently that was last pit trap. Well, at least we have more inventory space now.

45.jpg

46.jpg

We unlock the doors with one of the many keys we have.

47.jpg

Orc!

48.jpg

49.jpg

50.jpg

51.jpg

He fucking killed us! how rude. RELOAD!

52.jpg

Let's use adamant axe this time.

53.jpg

54.jpg

55.jpg

And it made big difference. Orc had runicsword, pouch with 10 gold coins and detect traps scroll.

56.jpg

Let's continue.

57.jpg

Hmmm...

58.jpg

Strange. Ok let's go back.

59.jpg

60.jpg

61.jpg

Let's go east this time.

62.jpg

Another Draugr.

63.jpg

64.jpg

65.jpg

66.jpg

67.jpg

We managed to beat him but just barely. He had 15 gold coins.

68.jpg

We need to heal Heimdall but that's in next episode.

Holy shit. I played this Heimdall (this is Heimdall 2?) last summer with real Amiga but sadly one of the disks was damaged and the game crashed every time. Will follow this!

No, its first Heimdall. Oh, I remember amiga disks getting damaged and games crashing constantly or refuse to work at all. And it was really bad here in Poland since not many people had amiga games so when the disk went wrong, the game was gone forever.

TOME

Cuckmaster General
I must have been playing Heimdall 2 then. The disk had only Heimdall written on it, but it wasn't an original copy. Amiga 500 were very popular in our small town but not many bothered to buy new games since we could always swap games between neighbors and make copies of them.

Midgard update 6

In which Jarmes the Navigator leads us out of the island.

1.jpg

We healed Heimdall a little bit but he's still hurt. Too bad I choose such a weak characters to disembark on this island. Well, we can use Olaf and Jarmes to walk around and open chest to save Heimdall health.

2.jpg

We open chest with Olaf. Chest was traped and Olaf is such a wuss that he barely survived it. Inside the chest was better version of restore scroll, so that's nice.

3.jpg

Now we make our way back using Jarmes.

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

We are back at the beginning.

9.jpg

We used disarm traps spell to remove pit traps near the chest. Then we moved to room right of the Jarmes and removed pit traps that blocked our way to pressure plate, only effect of stepping on this pressure plate was to remove arrows trap in this room so It might be waste of a spell.

10.jpg

Now let's check the chest.

11.jpg

Chest was traped but we found Hemlock and a scroll in it.

12.jpg

Olaf is a druid but we need hemlock for herb junkie.

13.jpg

Remember a room with wall blocking access to a chest? let's go back there.

14.jpg

15.jpg

It worked!

16.jpg

We found detect doors scroll, runic axe (which is worse than adamant axe), some food and a scroll heimdall could not decipher.

Ok, let's get back to the beginning.

17.jpg

Now to the room where arrow trap blocked our way.

18.jpg

19.jpg

Jarmes the Navigator will have to go through the trap or...

20.jpg

... Well, stepping on the pressure plate once again deactivated arrow trap.

21.jpg

Tell me who's that writin', Jarmes the Navigator

22.jpg

Tell me who's that writin', Jarmes the Navigator

23.jpg

Wrote the book of the seven seas.

24.jpg

Let's use detect doors here.

25.jpg

Yup, Azira was right.

26.jpg

Detect traps scroll, we used it straight away since we have a lot of those.

27.jpg

28.jpg

Detect secret doors scroll.

29.jpg

And a chest which was not traped and had key and scroll of disarm traps in it.

30.jpg

Now let's check what's behind secret doors.

31.jpg

Weak restore scroll.

32.jpg

And a pouch with 10 gold coins in it.

33.jpg

And that's looks like a job for Heimdall.

34.jpg

35.jpg

Then he shall die!

36.jpg

37.jpg

38.jpg

39.jpg

Enemies are getting quite tought to be honest. He had runic axe (we didn't take it) and two scrolls of restore health (which we used to heal heimdall).

40.jpg

Ok, let's see what he was guarding.

41.jpg

42.jpg

43.jpg

44.jpg

45.jpg

46.jpg

Then we got attacked by orc. And he killed us two times, I managed to beat him third time but Heimdall now have 1 HP left and we don't have any healing for him. Well, we still have 1 food ration each but manual said those are consumed during the journey so I don't want to touch them.

47.jpg

48.jpg

One freaking tough orc...

49.jpg

Ok, we don't have any health, let's cast detect traps.

50.jpg

51.jpg

52.jpg

53.jpg

Ok, there was a key in the chest. Room in the middle leads out of the island and remaning two leads to encounter with draugrs which we could not win with 1 hp so we evacuated our sorry asses from here. We have found hemlock so we are done here.

54.jpg

55.jpg

Aigr and Wizard dude have one spare food ration so we will be able to heal Heimdall. In next episode we shall return to first island and give hemlock to the junkie.

Luzur

Good Sir
I wonder if bear traps count as "jaws"?

... Hey, it actually seems like it might be it. We shall see, unless savestate is bugged since I have to rely on them on islands maps. I made some in-game saves on WinUAE made ADF floppy image just in case. Savestates on WinUAE never failed me I used them to save my time in Hired Guns and completely relied on them in Ultima 4 (I was unable to make save disk in U4 and it seems like common problem). But I still remember savestates completely messing my game in Terror from the Deep on DosBox, but that was on unofficial SVN build od Dosbox.

Ok, let's continue our quest to become favorite viking of the gods!

im more in favor of Wardruna for that genuine feeling of being in the cold north.

it makes me warm inside thinking about dark, bloodstained pagan idols and screaming Blot victims, and the creak of ropes of hundreds of people hanged in big trees.

im more in favor of Wardruna for that genuine feeling of being in the cold north.

it makes me warm inside thinking about dark, bloodstained pagan idols and screaming Blot victims, and the creak of ropes of hundreds of people hanged in big trees.

Wardruna is also nice. I used to listen a lot to Wardruna and Krauka while plying Medieval 2 Total War or Mount & Blade mods set during viking era (or more or less during viking era). Unfortunately most of the atmosphere came from the music because M&B and Medieval 2 even modded have no atmosphere to speak of. Which is strange with the second one because I remember Medieval 1 total war being pretty... immersive.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom