Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

I want RPG with enjoyable mage class

Cael

Arcane
Quest for Glory is best if you start off as a Rogue and add magic in at character creation.

Master of Magic is, of course, THE defining mage 4X. Even FFH cites it as their main inspiration. What I'd give for an updated version of it.

The Avatar

Pseudodragon Studios
Developer
Dude said a mage CLASS, so stop suggesting classless games like Tyranny.

I suggest Baldurs Gate 2 where mages are godlike, and Dragon Age Origins where you never have to waste time prepping buff spells before combat.

Neanderthal

Arcane
The Ultimas, the magic systems are very good, integrated into the gameworld and extremely powerful. Underworlds expand on this because of the 3d nature, though mage combat is in some ways weak because of poor aiming but theres far more to the game than just combat.
Not exactly an rpg (what is?) but Blood Omen: Legacy of Kain has a powerful and interesting spellcasting system for the protag.
Owyn in BaK obviously, nice progression from zero to archmage.

Cael

Arcane
The Ultimas, the magic systems are very good, integrated into the gameworld and extremely powerful. Underworlds expand on this because of the 3d nature, though mage combat is in some ways weak because of poor aiming but theres far more to the game than just combat.
Not exactly an rpg (what is?) but Blood Omen: Legacy of Kain has a powerful and interesting spellcasting system for the protag.
Owyn in BaK obviously, nice progression from zero to archmage.
Depends on which Ultima. In 4, you are better off shooting things with ranged weapons than casting Fireball, for example. Generally, I find magic in Ultima to be less "you will need it to win combats, and more "I can't be bothered to do a hundred key presses for a hundred attacks at an insect swarm, so, here, eat an Explosion".

hell bovine

Arcane
So many games, none looks interesting gameplay-wise :negative:
I think I will just go Skyrim Requiem or Enderal, the closest that suits my tastes. I am still hoping someone will do real mage-focused game with modern standards, something like Lichdom: Battlemage, but good.
I thought about trying P:Torment or Arcanum tho, they look interesting as well.
If you go Skyrim, then get the Requiem mod. Requiem mages are overpowered at high levels (then again, so are some other class combinations), but getting there is fun and not easy.

That said, the best mage experience gameplay-wise is BG2 with the SCS mod installed, imo. SCS improves the spellcaster AI noticeably, so that it actually takes advantage of the sheer amount of spells in BG2, making spellcaster duels lots of fun. And while BG2 is a party game, if you really want a mage-focused experience, then I'd actually recommend trying a small party of spellcasters only, or even a solo character.

deuxhero

Arcane
Skyrim, even with Requiem, only has good casting if you also add mods that add spells. Add Apocalypse Magic and Spellcrafting to start. Apocalypse isn't patched for Requiem, but works well anyways, with the low spell costs working as an encouragement to try some gimmicky spells over vanilla ones that cost a fortune.

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I think I will just go Skyrim Requiem or Enderal, the closest that suits my tastes. I am still hoping someone will do real mage-focused game with modern standards, something like Lichdom: Battlemage, but good.

My mistake to not mention I prefer single character games, not party based.

Dude, I don't think the codex can help you on this one.

Invictus

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Jamaro if you dont think Arx Fatalis is interesting, Dragons Dogma is fun or Quest for Glory is fantastic I really think you hit the Decline hard after that great Morrowind experience

TT1

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.

X6vsNlF.jpg

Elex

Arbiter
no one.

every single game can make right an single aspect right, but not make a real mage.

you can have the magical duel right in some D&D games.

some insane spell on dragon dogma.

magical spam effect on diablo like games.

if you want an original suggestion look at guild wars one.
all character can use all the skill in the game, so you can combine an elementalist with a necromancer, or a mesmer with a monk (cleric).

mesmer in particular have interesting abilities for a caster.

my personal wish is a game with real mage instead of “well i cast fireballs i am a mage” i want arcane mages and not elementalist that use fireball for kill fire elementals, some game have that aspect in part ( D&D mages can be like that but is forced).

Elex

Arbiter
In addendum to the listed above:
Diablo I, II (Isometric ARPG/Hack n' Slash) - A wide variety of the spells of mass murdering and minion summoning spells. Slaying hordes of monsters with magic never gets old.

One of the best things about Diablo 1 is that spells aren't restricted to class, but rather by primary attributes and your mana pool. Thus it's entirely possible to have a rogue or warrior that can cast spells (with the tradeoff of pumping INT rather than DEX/STR/CON). Despite the fact that you select a class at the start of the game, it makes D1 feel very classless, or at least like a game in which you can multiclass. I don't think D1 gets enough praise for this, especially considering that gear isn't class locked either, so a player can effectively multiclass through attribute, spell and item selection.

:love: Diablo 1.

Also, Baldur's Gate 2 with Sword Coast Strategems is the most fun you can have with mages (wizard/sorc and even divine casters) of any game that I've played (haven't played Tyranny).
diablo 1 mana shield: my favourite protective mage spell ever.

Jarmaro

Liturgist
Jamaro if you dont think Arx Fatalis is interesting, Dragons Dogma is fun or Quest for Glory is fantastic I really think you hit the Decline hard after that great Morrowind experience
Arx Fatalis is interesting, but Dragons Dogma felt relt repetetive and had too much "asian" smell. Way QoG is played knocks me back.
And I don't think I claimed to have particularly great experience with Morrowind, I recall having overal balanced experience with moments of fun, especially in the begininng and in the end, as I could levitate and throw nukes on people. At one point mage playthrough goes quickly from "I can barely make it" to "I am god" and game becomes boring. I'd agree that Morrowind clearly has one of the best mage gameplay, although it's a bit old now. I wish skyrim was at least 1/3 of that.

nobre

Cipher
Do yourself a favor and play Morrowind and Arcanum instead of Skyrim. Thank me (and the others who mentioned those games ITT) later.

Master

Arbiter
Gothic 2, pretty distinctive mage path.
Arcanum but with a dwarf, it's harder.

Jarmaro

Liturgist
Gothic 2, pretty distinctive mage path.
You are fucking joking. I played Gothic 12+ times and only two as mage, game mechanics simply make it unsufferable.
Yes, magic is cool and late game spells make you god, but the gameplay itself is a tragedy. I don't know how can anyone advice it.

Parabalus

Arcane

Underrail is pretty good if you can larp PSI=magic.

The Bethsada games have a bunch of mods for magic, you might find something tailored just for you.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom