Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

I want RPG with enjoyable mage class

Jarmaro

Liturgist
Title says it all, I cannot find anything, mostly people just advice Skyrim but it's too shitty. Any ideas?

Fowyr

Arcane
Vatnik
Define "enjoyable".
Aethra Chronicles, Spellcraft was pretty neat. Master of Magic, though strategy game, is all about magic.

Loostreaks

Learned
Tyranny. I'm not joking around, overall gameplay is meh, but you can do a lot with it's magic system, and create your own combos even without companion abilities.
Dragon's Dogma is purest form of awesome button combat: all flash, no substance. While spells and abilities are top tier, in visual, audio and hit feedback, enemies are completely brain dead are far too passive to present any challenge ( beyond simple damage barrers).

Snorkack

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
What?! Who's recommending that? And what is the other rpg these guys played?
Morrowind otoh is great as mage as you can customize your own spells and do some nice combos.
Flying around and genociding 50 mobs at once with an airstrike feels rewarding as fuck in MM6.
Calling it an RPG might be pushing it, but give Magicka a try, too!

Mark Richard

Arcane
I offer a tentative recommendation for Two Worlds II. Too often the mage class fails to live up to the whispered promises of power. Too often the class is shackled by balancing. Two Worlds II knows exactly what you want - to dress up like Gandalf and break the game with power beyond measure.

Sloul

Savant
I just stick with 4x to enjoy a mage. Games such as MoM, AoW 1 or 2, Dominion, Falls from Heaven (notably its modmod Master of Mana).
In the rpg genre Ultima: Underworld and Arx Fatalis did the trick for me, as well as Morrowind.
Caves of Qud is also quite interesting to play as a mage.
Yet, those rpg mostly deal with damage dealing and aoe spell, but they manage to be creative with some ideas there and there.
Arcanum also tried to make mage interesting, but imo, ultimately failed to make them 'mage' interesting. Necromancy was cool as hell for instance, being able to the dead talk.

flabbyjack

Arcane
Dominions has the most deeply satisfying magecraft, with an amazingly wide array of spells, summons, and enchanting, split up into schools and colors (nature, death, fire, etc).

I agree with the poster above: Dragon's Dogma has some nice visceral feeling to its spells, bones go crunch, explosions go bam, etc.

Invictus

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Some great suggestions here and yeah I would agree with these
Arx Fatalis
Quest for Glory series
Baldurs Gate series
Dragons Dogma
Tyranny

Luckmann

Arcane
Zionist Agent
Tyranny. I'm not joking around, overall gameplay is meh, but you can do a lot with it's magic system, and create your own combos even without companion abilities.
Dragon's Dogma is purest form of awesome button combat: all flash, no substance. While spells and abilities are top tier, in visual, audio and hit feedback, enemies are completely brain dead are far too passive to present any challenge ( beyond simple damage barrers).
I must agree. I can shit on Tyranny for it's narrative issues and lack of reactivity for a week straight, but the magic system was pretty solid, and fun to work with.

I only had three issues with it, and that's how you couldn't combine everything (restrictions were completely arbitrary, as in "We couldn't be arsed to come up with an effect for that combo"), learning signs were party-based, meaning that it was entirely possible for a CNPC to refuse teaching you a sign, with the effect that they couldn't improve in that sign usage either, or that some people (Siri) didn't get the signs intrinsic to their fucking being (it was entirely possible to never even find the Emotion Sign, despite Siri being the literal source of it's power), and lastly, the game suffered from "Everyone is a wizard", simply because magic was so powerful. I think the last issue was minor at best, but if you were optimizing even a little (which I rarely do if it interferes with doing fun shit) you'd end up with a group of near-pure casters just wrecking everything like it's nobody's business, which was pretty sad.

Goromorg

Savant
In addendum to the listed above:
Diablo I, II (Isometric ARPG/Hack n' Slash) - A wide variety of the spells of mass murdering and minion summoning spells. Slaying hordes of monsters with magic never gets old.
Path of Exile (Isometric ARPG/Hack n' Slash) - Same as Diablo, plus it is possible to make spells cast automatically when you hit enemies in melee or ranged combat or when they hit you. You can go really creative with killing in this one.
Underrail (Isometric turn-based RPG) - Psionics in this game is no different from magic. You can ignite, freeze, implode and mess with the minds of your foes. Also has very good stealth system for an RPG.
Voidspire Tactics and Alvora Tactics (Isometric turn-based party-based RPG) - Many kinds of mage classes with different spells. Fantastic games, do not get discouraged by pixel graphics.
Serpent in the Staglands (Isometric real-time party-based RPG) - Many unique (weird) spells, mostly buffs and curses, some shapeshifting spells. Very peculiar setting, try this game if you like Baldur's Gate.
Last but not least - Arcanum: Of Steamworks and Magick Obscura - this game is classic.

Jarmaro

Liturgist
So many games, none looks interesting gameplay-wise :negative:
I think I will just go Skyrim Requiem or Enderal, the closest that suits my tastes. I am still hoping someone will do real mage-focused game with modern standards, something like Lichdom: Battlemage, but good.
I thought about trying P:Torment or Arcanum tho, they look interesting as well.

Sloul

Savant
886 parrots later:
I thought about trying P:Torment or Arcanum tho, they look interesting as well.

Well, now that you mentioned Lichdom, I guess it becomes clearer what you're looking for.
I guess something like Hexen might be right up your alley, but since you're also mentioning you want recent games... Maybe wait for System shock 3?

agris

Arcane
Patron
In addendum to the listed above:
Diablo I, II (Isometric ARPG/Hack n' Slash) - A wide variety of the spells of mass murdering and minion summoning spells. Slaying hordes of monsters with magic never gets old.

One of the best things about Diablo 1 is that spells aren't restricted to class, but rather by primary attributes and your mana pool. Thus it's entirely possible to have a rogue or warrior that can cast spells (with the tradeoff of pumping INT rather than DEX/STR/CON). Despite the fact that you select a class at the start of the game, it makes D1 feel very classless, or at least like a game in which you can multiclass. I don't think D1 gets enough praise for this, especially considering that gear isn't class locked either, so a player can effectively multiclass through attribute, spell and item selection.

:love: Diablo 1.

Also, Baldur's Gate 2 with Sword Coast Strategems is the most fun you can have with mages (wizard/sorc and even divine casters) of any game that I've played (haven't played Tyranny).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom