Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Decline I suck at HoMM 3!

TigerKnee

Arcane
Well, it's an option in Wake of Gods mod...

But otherwise no, you can't intentionally do it.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Ok, I just looked up a walktrough, it's literally unwinnable without expert fire. Who thought fighting 3600 nagas twice was a good idea? So fuck this campaign.

Anyway, is there a way to make a ranged unit like titans attack something in melee? In HoMM5 you could make them do it with ctrl or shift.
I believe if an enemy is adjacent to a ranged unit, you can attack with melee. You do like half damage, so I can't see why you'd want to in any other situation, and usually it's better to move away and use a ranged attack if possible.

Trust me bro, in "un-winnable" situations, berserk rocks. Just cast it on expert and watch as more than half of enemy's army kills itself and wastes turns. :smug:

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Berserk is easily the best spell in game one expert. Its control potential is unrivaled by anything else.

Kirkpatrick

Cipher
Haven't played in a long time, but I'm fairly sure you can beat that campaign without fire magic. You'll still need blind spell though. As well as force field, quicksand and expert clone will help a lot, as you'll spend a lot of turns shooting at those nagas, and if they destroy ammo cart, cloned titans and enchanters come with full arsenal. Of course, it's much easier with expert berserk, but I don't like taking the skill just for one spell (expert fire does help with blind as well, as you can melee hit the blinded creature without retaliation, and then blind it again -- works nice when one enemy stack is present). Not sure if air magic is of particular use as well, no fly/dd in guilds, just some scrolls?

Grinolf

Arcane
So, I'm playing the Dragon Slayer AB campaign and does it piss me off. I'm close to just outright cheating. I have to fight 15/10/10 Fairy Dragons, and those disgusting spellcasting HP-Sponges just kill off half my army with their hilarous 2000 dmg+ spells (oh god the chain-lightning). Since I will have to fight more of those fuckers, losing half my army sounds like a really bad idea. So any hints how to deal with them? I got Expert Earth and Air, but no fly or dimdoor to just get around them and they are blocking the way forward. I tried some anti-magic, that just mean they kill other units, and just bringing one stack won't work, since I got nothing that can kill 35x750 hp.
Also, is there a way to make a ranged unit like the titan attack something in melee when they aren't blocked?

If you dealed with second naga stack, you should already win that mission. I don't remember that mission well, but I am sure, that I didn't have any problems with actual dragon fight even without fire skill. Also I remember, that first naga stack could be avoided by water.

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
That campaign gives you all magic skills in the first mission, doesn't it? Also, you don't even need the fire skill, mass slow in the first turn and then blind them one after one. Congratulations. Also, golems + implosion is a good combo for fearie dragons.

Kirkpatrick

Cipher
Just replayed that campaign again, and fire magic is useless (well, not *that* useful anyway). As well as air, don't bother with them. Logistics, archery, intelligence much better choices to go with earth and water magic skills. From second mission forward, haven't bothered with other creatures, save for titans and enchanters, plus having stacks of 1 genie for extra casting can't hurt.

I didn't have too many problems with fairy dragons (slow, blind, resurrect - plus earth elemental spell at the start of map when I had just a few titans and dozen or so enchanters), but above mentioned golems + spells combo works well as well, there are 3 golem factories on the map for diamond and gold ones.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Ooof, the difficulty is picking up, the AB campaign is a LOT harder than Restoration. The key still seems to be to overwhelm the AI as fast as possible; they start with too many dwellings in towns so that the longer you take, the lower your chances to win. Currently playing Return of the King.

Honestly, these campaigns are fantastic. Sure, they might not be challenging to you guys but to me, who only gets to play a little bit every day, these are great fun and I have been playing these for weeks and weeks now. And I still have almost 85% of AB and 100% of SoD to go.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Man, rushing the enemies ASAP with your combined starting army, using cheap heroes to funnel reinforcements to them as they march is insanely effective; I crushed that mission. And the best part was that the enemy's OP uber hero abandoned the AI and I rehired her - uber stats and already max level.

Only tedious thing about those campaigns is that I have to obsessively compulsively collect all the hero bonuses on the map, so I have to block the stupid AI in its last castle, and run around with the hero that passes on to the next mission and collect everything I can. :(

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
But your score, General Maxson, your score!

I mean, if you are going to collect all these bonuses- you might as well pass 3000000 turns, then kill all the 4000 creep stacks so you can import as many max level heroes as you can...

Meh, I don't care much for the score. The most important thing is not to get stuck and frustrated on the next level, and I will ensure it by maxing the hero that travels there.

exe

Augur
Same here, although after the first 2 maps, I only maxed my main and fuck the rest.
So, I got another question. How do I deal with a shitton of high tier necro units? Both blind and beserk don't work, so those 240 dread knights and 110 dragons and all the other shit just come pouring out of the castle with no way to stop them. Thought about Forcefield, but don't have that :(

Endemic

Arcane
Same here, although after the first 2 maps, I only maxed my main and fuck the rest.
So, I got another question. How do I deal with a shitton of high tier necro units? Both blind and beserk don't work, so those 240 dread knights and 110 dragons and all the other shit just come pouring out of the castle with no way to stop them. Thought about Forcefield, but don't have that :(

What scenario?

exe

Augur
A fanmade one, Empire of the World iirc. I got about the same amount (or slightly more) tier 5,6,7 units than they got, but they got more lower tier units and higher stats.

Endemic

Arcane
Unless those were a pre-set garrison, it seems like you waited too long. Mass slow would help, but you need more ranged firepower to beat the AI that way. Buffing your units with bless\mass shield\stoneskin will make a noticeable difference with equal numbers. Summon Earth Elemental (if you have enough spell power) is great for tanking damage\wasting retaliation and tying up some of their units. Focus fire on the biggest threat first.

exe

Augur
So I'm playing the SoD campaign and have to rant. I am at the 4. Crag Hack mission and it's like the designers went out of their way to make it as annoying and tedious as possible. My enemy is a necro with 3 towns, all three of them hiding behind those new border guards that don't disappear and the tent is behind one of those. So untakeable without fly and dimdoor (which I obv. not have), also they got a one way monolith right next to my second town because fuck you. Urge to play ~0. Also the AI fleeing everytime they are loosing is incredibly annoying.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Yeah, the one-way portals and border gates are something they've started using extensively in SoD, and it was like the very definition of lazy and fucking annoying design. And the worst thing was that it also made its way to Homm 4 because they must have thought it was an excellent way to add challenge or someshit.

Storyfag

Perfidious Pole
Patron
Yeah, the one-way portals and border gates are something they've started using extensively in SoD, and it was like the very definition of lazy and fucking annoying design. And the worst thing was that it also made its way to Homm 4 because they must have thought it was an excellent way to add challenge or someshit.

Don't even remind be about those from HoMM 4
:rage:

And yeah, those from SoD are pretty bad too :decline:

Unwanted

Kalin

Unwanted
Dumbfuck Zionist Agent
So I'm playing the SoD campaign and have to rant. I am at the 4. Crag Hack mission and it's like the designers went out of their way to make it as annoying and tedious as possible. My enemy is a necro with 3 towns, all three of them hiding behind those new border guards that don't disappear and the tent is behind one of those. So untakeable without fly and dimdoor (which I obv. not have), also they got a one way monolith right next to my second town because fuck you. Urge to play ~0. Also the AI fleeing everytime they are loosing is incredibly annoying.

I completed that one some weeks ago, you are quite right that there is no way to conquer all AI towns, so if you play too long you will be swarmed by the enemy and their superior numbers. Trick is to track down the monster with the artifact you need to win, which in itself is a bit of chore since it is blocked by a quest guard.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Yeah, the one-way portals and border gates are something they've started using extensively in SoD, and it was like the very definition of lazy and fucking annoying design.

IIRC it was used at the end of the original campaign as well. Unlike HoMM 1 and HoMM2, I don't think I completed any of the HoMM 3 campaigns due to those annying one way portals, and started playing quality used made maps instead.

Yeah, the one-way portals and border gates are something they've started using extensively in SoD, and it was like the very definition of lazy and fucking annoying design.

IIRC it was used at the end of the original campaign as well. Unlike HoMM 1 and HoMM2, I don't think I completed any of the HoMM 3 campaigns due to those annying one way portals, and started playing quality used made maps instead.

Can you bros give some great user made maps for download in bulk? I.e. I'm too lazy to download one at a time, but would rather download like hundreds or so of good tested maps in a single go. If there are any "packs" like that. Or if some of you have your own collection of great maps and would zip or rar it and put it up. I know the standard ones by heart already... And random generator doesn't do much for me. I like cool hand made maps. It would make me interested in playing hotseat again.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom