Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

I played Kotor 3 times and i kinda enjoy it still

AlaCarcuss

Arbiter
Suicidal said:
I also liked KotOR when I played it. It wasn't anything spectacular but it was a decent game. I've played it only once tho. I rarely play games more then once, even the ones I really enjoy, cause I always prefer variety in my entertainment.

Me too. It's not just a case of variety though, I have so many games on my 'to play' list that replaying any is out of the question - regardless of how much I enjoyed them.

Damn RPG's with their 60+ hour playtimes.

It's kinda both :x AND :love:

Lightknight

Liturgist
What made it forgotten realms in space exactly?
Do i have to enumerate every bulletpoint on that topic ?
What exactly about KOTOR is screaming "STAR WARS" at you ?
In which Star Wars movie have you seen EVERYONE fighting in melee ?
In which Star Wars movie have you seen lightsabers that cant CUT anything, and are just glowing sticks to hit people over the head with ?
The mechanics are EXACTLY the same as in Dragon Age, if you changed the art assets you wouldnt khow the difference.
How is that Star Wars ? Where are my blasters ? Where is the space dogfighting ? Where are the nimble dodgy Jedi ?

Dark Forces/Jedi Knight line is the use of the Star Wars franchise at its best. KOTOR is the worst. Even LEGO Star Wars uses the setting better than KOTOR.

Ugh.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
You're insinuating space dogfighting is in the prequels only?

A good third of New Hope is not impressed.

Anyway, some random quotes from the prestigious Codex review to illustrate where KOTOR is not Star Wars:
Well, Knights of the Old Republic is much more like Lord of the Rings, or any number of high fantasy setting stories. It's all about a millennia (or twenty-five) old ancient evil that's re-awakened to doom everyone. I don't recall too much plundering of ancient tombs and dungeons looking for ancient and powerful artifacts in the Star Wars movies, either, but KotOR has it's fair share of that as well.
One of the problems with this setting is that when you see something in one of the movies, you tend to expect things to work out that way in the game. If you see a character slicing through doors, pipes, and various metal objects with lightsabers in the movie, you tend to expect this type of thing in the game, for example. You tend to expect characters of various factions to behave in a manner similar to what you've seen before playing.
Melee and ranged/blaster seem poorly balanced with one another. This is also very odd considering we're talking about a Star Wars game. I don't seem to remember anyone putting away their blaster and switching to a sword, but that's pretty much how this game is. In fact, it's often a good idea to switch to the sword, because the sword is often a lot better than the blaster when standing next to a sword wielding opponent. In fact, I wouldn't even recommend ever taking ranged related feats in the game for a number of reasons. Unless you really, really want a challenge, stick with melee. Kind of an odd suggestion for a game centered around Star Wars, isn't it?
Lightsabers just aren't all that special. You watch the movies, you can see lightsabers cutting through metal pylons like butter, slicing open doors, killing people in one hit, or severing limbs. In this game, however, a lightsaber is little more than just another sword that has special lighting effects and sound. About the only thing it can do that the swords can't do is block blaster shots thanks to the automatic Jedi Defense feat. Other than that, be prepared to whack giant dogs repeatedly with your lightsaber until they die. Watch all the glory of the lightsaber as it's blocked by the crude gaffi sticks created by the primitive Sand People or the swords that the Wookiees can make in their forest-top homes.

In fact, you really have to wonder why the developers didn't choose to go another route entirely with the lightsabers given that lethal combat with two Jedi is fairly rare in the movies. There's only been two unwilling killings during lightsaber combat in all five movies, and that was in Episode 1.

el Supremo

Augur
Patron
KOTOR is another game that I may not have given enough chance. I do tend to quit on games, if some of it features iritate me early on.
I have enjoyed the tutorial (even if vibroblade as poor man's lighsabre was a silly idea). But on the planet, it became obvious that game is trying to push me torwards choosing either dark or light side of the force, that my vague ideas about becoming a Gray Jedi, or, at the very least, some sort of pre-Endor Han Solo, are doomed.
To add insult to the injury, the act of choosing The Side of The Force apparently consisted of either helping random NPSs to fend off some random bullies, or the other way around. I found this mechanic boring and unimagianative to the extreme, so I decided that there must be better game out there, to waste my time on. :smug:

Chateaubryan

Cipher
Reject_666_6 said:
Daemongar said:
Didn't Obsidian do NWN2, though? The characters in there (all except Bishop) were shit.

You forgot Ammon Jerro, he was pretty cool.

It's not saying much, but Khelgar was probably the most well-written character of NWN 2 OC. As the rest of the cast, he starts out as a terribly stereotypical character but because he has a personal quest - made difficult not by external obstacles but by his own violent and prejudiced nature - he comes out as the most consistent NPC. Other characters also have their coming-out/flip-flopping moments but they don't come as convincing as his', probably because there is no proactive questioning from their part. They may have some kind of revelation (like Amon Jerro's guilt, or Bishop backing-off out of respect for the PC), but their personality remains the same, cheapening the value of said revelation.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity
FUCK. My save file corrupted and my last save was about an hour or two ago. Guess I'm putting Kotor2 aside until I get the urge to do that shit again.

tehRPness

Educated
Jokerman89 said:
Kotor was an awesome game
Fixed.

KotOR 4 times and KoTOR 2 maybe 5 times. After playing good and then evil, only because I'm obsessive-compulsive with games, did I play more, attempting to drain every bit of gameplay out of the by then, hollow and bland games.

As Bioware keeps making games from the same 10 year+ old recipe, I start to dislike even the old ones. What pisses me off most is that with DA, they act like only now are they perfecting their RPG recipes. The newer Bio games just feel like when they made a second re-release of the Star Wars Trilogy, because making something slightly prettier evidently equals an entirely new and improved product. Suck a fucking dick tvm.
Full_Metal.jpg

I think Ps:T is the only of their games I can enjoy now.

edit:Type O

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Oh god, 2011 newfags think Bioware made PS:T.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"The mechanics are EXACTLY the same as in Dragon Age,"

Bullshit. KOTOR's mechanics are more like the IE and NWN games.

"Oh god, 2011 newfags think Bioware made PS:T."

That ain't new. That' nonsensen has happened foever. hell, som,e people think BIO only published the BGs and BIS developed it. LMFAO '

Some people are simply morans.

Jools

Eater of Apples
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Insert Title Here Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Not that it's fucking hard to figure out.

Planescape%20Torment.jpg

Doesn't say Bioware anywhere.

LoPan

Learned
Chateaubryan said:
Reject_666_6 said:
Daemongar said:
Didn't Obsidian do NWN2, though? The characters in there (all except Bishop) were shit.

You forgot Ammon Jerro, he was pretty cool.

It's not saying much, but Khelgar was probably the most well-written character of NWN 2 OC. As the rest of the cast, he starts out as a terribly stereotypical character but because he has a personal quest - made difficult not by external obstacles but by his own violent and prejudiced nature - he comes out as the most consistent NPC. Other characters also have their coming-out/flip-flopping moments but they don't come as convincing as his', probably because there is no proactive questioning from their part. They may have some kind of revelation (like Amon Jerro's guilt, or Bishop backing-off out of respect for the PC), but their personality remains the same, cheapening the value of said revelation.

A fair point, but it does leave you with an understanding of their character if not a far fuller appreciation of it. That alone is rare to find in a game, and it is downright uncanny for such drivel as NWN2. Personally I found my favourite character to be Neeshka. They didn't do the possibility of her character any justice but I was blown away by the fact that I came to enjoy everything that used to annoy me about her, still not sure how that came to be which definitely is what attributes that favouritism.

On KOTOR however, a point remained untouched. Doubt I'm alone on this one. I preferred KOTOR2 for many of the reasons already mentioned. What did bother me about that game like crazy is that playing an evil bastard is even less reasonable than it was in the first KOTOR. KOTOR2 did a whole thing about examining the morality of the force and through it the moral obligations of power. Being good meant going along for that ride whilst being evil meant being a snarky prick whose motivation is looser than Chaotic Evil. At least in the firs KOTOR being evil meant you could finally be a douche to all those dialogues that make you sick.

Xor

Arcane
NWN2 would have been a much better game if they had dropped half the party members and put much more effort into the remaining ones. I'd have dropped Elanee, Casivar, Grobnar, and that fucking githzerai (you know you have a problem when you're introducing a character from nowhere to do nothing but give exposition). I'd have probably made Bishop an NPC rather than a companion as well.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
Also:

"RAHASIA"

"SHEN!"

"ANDRE!"

"MR MATALE"

*Dark side choice selected, Fire fight ensues*

"You still passed the Jedi test...despite sucking at it"

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom