Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

I played Kotor 3 times and i kinda enjoy it still

Konjad said:
Beautiful Clown Painting said:
I've played through both Kotor I & II only once and preferred the first one. I never would have guessed that it was written by the guy who wrote New Vegas and Torment. It seemed pretty bland at the time, and god knows I had already played and adored Torment. Perhaps if I had known that it had been written by Avellone I would have paid more attention. But I prefer that, not to have had any bias. That's why New Vegas took me by surprise, I didn't know what to expect from Avellone seeing that KOTOR 2 didn't cut the mustard for me (I never have played Motb nor Alpha Protocol yet).

Maybe that's because Avellone didn't write NV.

Yeah I read that somewhere, that's it's mainly Sawyer's prose. But then he had an input in the game so for me it counts as one of his games. That's the same for music. During the recording of "LA Woman" Morrisson was practically never there but he nevertheless had a real weight in the process and the finished product.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity
Jaesun said:
Esquilax said:
I don't think so. In a recent thread a few pages back I think (too lazy to search), there's a thread on NWN2 OC and whether it's worth getting. Most folks said that it was better than DA:O. Not that either game is good, but fuck NWN2 OC is just dreadful.

It is no where near as shitty as DA:O. I will never play that piece of shit again. NWN2, I'll continue to re-play every couple of years or so. I threw my DA:O DVD over my fence.
What? Oldfag.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Beautiful Clown Painting said:
Yeah I read that somewhere, that's it's mainly Sawyer's prose. But then he had an input in the game so for me it counts as one of his games. That's the same for music. During the recording of "LA Woman" Morrisson was practically never there but he nevertheless had a real weight in the process and the finished product.
http://www.formspring.me/JESawyer/q/2025171501
Let me just do a mini-writing credits dump to answer a lot of common questions here. Most of the major plot characters (Benny, Victor, Caesar, Mr. House) and the main story itself were written by the game's creative lead, John Gonzalez. Eric Fenstermaker wrote Veronica and Boone. Chris Avellone wrote Cass, Lanius, and Oliver. Travis Stout wrote Lily and Raul. Most of the other characters, major and minor, were split between the writers above and other area designers. Of course the actual full design treatments, quests, and implementation of areas were done by the area designers.

The only "big" characters I wrote were Chief Hanlon, Arcade Gannon, and President Kimball's speech. Also I just wrote/structured the dialogue in GECK. The design, implementation, and scripting for the associated quests of those dialogues (Return to Sender, For Auld Lang Syne, You'll Know It When You See It/Arizona Killer) were handled by Matt McLean, Travis Stout, Jeff Husges, and Charlie "Master of Hoover" Staples.
I don't think three major characters counts enough to make it "his". Dead Money (and apparently the one with the Big Empty judging by his twitter location), sure.

Achilles

Arcane
I only completed KOTOR once, probably because I am a Star Trek fan.

Konjad said:
You have to complete it at least 7 times.

This is rapidly becoming the Codex version of the "over 9000!!!" meme.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity
Hobo Elf said:
I can't help but feel that KotOR would be a most forgettable game if it wasn't for the Star Wars setting.
Well, of course. Main reason I played was for the lightsaber animations. Oh and they are amazing when you are tripping

IronicNeurotic

Arbiter
@BCP

Wait

You are saying New Vegas was better written than Kotor 2?

*Head explodes"

Also yes, if its anyones project regarding writing. It is John Gonzales. He wrote the main story and most of the major charachters.

Lockkaliber

Magister
Patron
Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
It should be pointed out however, that lots of stuff that is in New Vegas are taken from PnP sessions (IIRC), where MCA was the DM, so to some extent, he should still be credited with the writing for the game :smug:

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Jaesun said:
I played KotOR one time. Have no desire to ever play it again. Now KotOR II, played many times.

Funny, I played KotOR just the once and would like to try it again merely because I don't remember a thing about it apart from the ending when after being good all the way through I suddenly turned to the dark side when I found that I could kill off that fucking annoying kid. That's a good thing about that game, it actually had a pretty lengthy and elaborate ending for both options. So many these days seem to have a 15 second clip that is deliberately ambiguous in case of sequels and really, after going through an 'epic' journey I expect a bit more than 'You have saved the [x], but for how long?'

IronicNeurotic

Arbiter
Lockkaliber said:
It should be pointed out however, that lots of stuff that is in New Vegas are taken from PnP sessions (IIRC), where MCA was the DM, so to some extent, he should still be credited with the writing for the game :smug:

Cesars Legion has been changed so much since his first draft that its really not worth it.

BLOBERT

FUCKING SLAYINGN IT BROS
Patron
Codex 2012
BROS PLAYED BOTH ONCE

TRIED A REPLAY OF TWO BUT GOT BORED

BROS REPLAYING KOTOR REMOVES ANY HARD CORE CRED YOU MIGHT WANT I AM INCLUDED REPLAYING KOTOR MORE THAN THREE TIMES IS THE EQUIVALENT OF PLAYING EACH NEW FINAL FANTASY

BROS MOST PEOPLE HERE DOTH PROTEST POPAMOLE A LITTLE TOO LOUDLY LOOLOLL TO QOOTE SHAKESPEER

BROS THE HARDCORE ON THIS FORUM ARE LIKE THE NEIHGBOOR IN AMERICAN BEAUTY HE HATED FAGS SO BAD HE EITHER HAD TO SUCK A DICK OR KILL ONE

Lightknight

Liturgist
Also, KOTOR is Star Wars, but free of the new trilogy faggotry.
It's free of the old trilogy faggotry as well.

I can't help but feel that KotOR would be a most forgettable game if it wasn't for the Star Wars setting.
"Star Wars setting" should be put in quotes. I would have liked that game much better if it was actually Star Wars setting, instead of "Forgotten Realms IN SPACE".

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Well, the first time I got bored when I had completed about 90% of the game, it was a non-light non-dark path, the second one I played BIOWARE EVIL path for teh lulz and I have completed it. Just the same as with Jade Empire. It's fun only if you play BIOWARE EVIL HARRR for the lulz.

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Played both KoTORs one time. Willing to play through both of them one more time - with fan patches / mods. When If I have time.

Topher

Cipher
Lightknight said:
Also, KOTOR is Star Wars, but free of the new trilogy faggotry.
It's free of the old trilogy faggotry as well.

"Star Wars setting" should be put in quotes. I would have liked that game much better if it was actually Star Wars setting, instead of "Forgotten Realms IN SPACE".

What made it forgotten realms in space exactly?

santino27

Arcane
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Played both KOTOR 1 and 2 one time each, all the way through.

I preferred the first one. While the unfinished state of the sequel definitely impacted my enjoyment of it, I was equally bothered by the 'finished' elements; namely, the characters and story.

I know there are people here who hold up Kreia (sp?) as the epitome of characters, but I felt like the Obsidian writers were a lot more interested in her than I was... I generally like the writing that comes out of Obsidian, but I felt like it was a really poor fit for the star wars universe, which plays more to broad strokes of good vs. evil.

Played through it 3 times on my old Xbox. One good, two evil. Still have the copy of the game. Actually looks pretty good on my big HD tv.

"Disclosure: I am a versatile protocol and combat droid, fluent in verbal and cultural translation. Should your needs prove more... practical, I am also skilled in highly personal combat."

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom