Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

I missed this back then: What's up with Mark Morgan stealing music for Fallout?

crawlkill

Kill all boxed game owners. Kill! Kill!
I just reinstalled New Vegas and found a patch to run the original Fallout 1/2 music over it. Tabbed out, I suddenly found myself wondering, "When did I start Aphex Twin playing?"

On some googling and application of thought, it became painfully clear that several (less significant, usually--one was in the credits) Fallout tracks had been essentially stolen from Aphex Twin. Almost identical composition, sometimes different synthesized instruments. On a little further googling, I find that another Mike Morgan F1/2 track was lifted almost perfectly from an adaptation of Stephen King's The Stand.

What the fuck's up with this? Does anyone have the complete story?

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
IIRC Mark showed some quickly altered Apex Twin tracks just as reference of the tone, then someone at Black Isle took them and added to the game... or something like that.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Old, old news. Just do a search for "Aphex Twin" "Mark Morgan" on the Codex or Google.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
It wasn't just Aphex Twin, there's also Brian Eno, Techno Animal, Nijiumu, buncha others.

Mark Morgan is a plagiarist hack, that's all there is to it.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
It wasn't just Aphex Twin, there's also Brian Eno, Techno Animal, Nijiumu, buncha others.

Mark Morgan is a plagiarist hack, that's all there is to it.

Not to mention Josh Sawyer. Fucking hacks.

Gnidrologist

CONDUCTOR
Plago of Massive Attack's ''Angel'' in Bloodlines starting menu was more blatant. Don't remember who did that. Is basically the song with vocals removed.

crawlkill

Old, old news. Just do a search for "Aphex Twin" "Mark Morgan" on the Codex or Google.

I did. I couldn't find the full story anywhere. It was a bunch of people coming to the realization independently and a bunch of people not being remotely sufficiently shocked by it. I would've thought this got a Vice-esque deconstruction somewhere some time.

So he might have stolen the The Stand track from himself, but the Aphex Twin stuff is just outright theft? I'd never heard that particular Massive Attack track. But this is so fucking depressing. I've loved Selected Ambient Works II and the Fallout themes since forever. I can't believe I never noticed, and now they're poisoned.

Pope Amole II

Nerd Commando Game Studios
Developer
Edit the name of the thread, dammit. Also:

So he might have stolen the The Stand track from himself, but the Aphex Twin stuff is just outright theft? I'd never heard that particular Massive Attack track. But this is so fucking depressing. I've loved Selected Ambient Works II and the Fallout themes since forever. I can't believe I never noticed, and now they're poisoned.

Dude, who gives a fuck about originality? It's overrated. Properly arranging music is no easier than actually composing it. Yoko Kanno, the love of my anime-filled youth, stole tracks all the time, but the thing is, all of her "sources of inspiration" sound much shittier than her work. So, as long as it sounds good, why bother?

Repressed Homosexual
Edit the name of the thread, dammit. Also:

Dude, who gives a fuck about originality? It's overrated. Properly arranging music is no easier than actually composing it. Yoko Kanno, the love of my anime-filled youth, stole tracks all the time, but the thing is, all of her "sources of inspiration" sound much shittier than her work. So, as long as it sounds good, why bother?

Exactly this. All music is high derivative, and you're delusional if you think otherwise.

crawlkill

Exactly this. All music is high derivative, and you're delusional if you think otherwise.

Yep! Nobody's ever written a track ever! All tracks are copied straight from other tracks, with no creditline given! Sure am glad for those ur-tracks vomitted up by the raw cosmos we could all copy from.

Fuck off. Plagiarism is plagiarism. There's nothing honest about this.

AlexOfSpades

Arcane
Huh, didn't know that. That's fucked up. Still, both games (Fallout & VtM:B) have amazing soundtracks, so i guess i'll let it slide

Curious_Tongue

Larpfest
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014
I could never get the music to work for F1 or 2 for some reason.

To be honest, after hearing some of the music, I think the games are better off without them

circ

Arcane
This shit again?

As I recall the story, someone at Interplay told MM - Mark, can you remake this (referring to an Aphex Twin track), and he did. It's not that similar unless you're deaf.

Destroid

Arcane
This shit again?

As I recall the story, someone at Interplay told MM - Mark, can you remake this (referring to an Aphex Twin track), and he did. It's not that similar unless you're deaf.

There's about 5 or 6 tracks that are very close to other songs, the Aphex Twin one is just the most well known.

crawlkill

This shit again?

There's about 5 or 6 tracks that are very close to other songs, the Aphex Twin one is just the most well known.

There were three I heard that are direct rips from Aphex Twin songs, just with different--not sure what the word is, "digital instruments?" Hearing them side by side, it's impossible to miss.

They're still good arrangements, the score is fantastic, but plagiarism is loathsome.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Another disappointed fallout fan, first it's this, then it's tim cain being inconveniently gay, will someone think of the libertarian bigots?

muh legend

StaticSpine

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Which songs are copies, anyway? Can you people be clearer?

Anyway, I don't care that Mark Morgan used a lot of other (and very different) composer's stuff as long as he managed to create a unique and solid game OST. Probably the best game soundtrack ever.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom