Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

I have no patience for RPGs anymore

Monkeysattva

Cipher
r another, until the entire post was highli

...and since I don't know what your idiotic point is, I don't need to respond to it. It's like you checkmated yourself. Thanks!

naossano

Cipher
"There is no videogame equivalent of a documentary. Neither is there a videogame equivalent of serious artistic fiction."

There are some games that can pretend to be serious, artistic or even prone to personal enlightment, and a very few of them that actually intend to deliver that. For some indie, the games itself is not relevant, but the artistic value should prevail. If you take a game like "Papers Please", the message is much more important than the game itself, which is pretty repetitive. It is harder to qualify a game as documentary, but some can get very close. Video-games is just a medium. You can take any initiative you want with it. The problem is that many publishers don't believe that some games can lead to enlightment, or refuse to aknowledge it for strategic reasons. Same could be said for movies in some anglo-saxon countries that considers movies as simple products while some latin countries consider them as work of art. Not only aknowledging them as art could lead to higher requirement to meet the standards, but also paying some royalties to the authors. Which wouldn't be a good move for the suits... At the other hand, not all video-games can be considered as work of art...

Alfons

Prophet
I get your point, but the medium is much more constrained. A piece of fiction can be different from another piece of fiction, but a videogame can only be distinguished either by narrative or gameplay, and the narrative is defined by gameplay.
Wtf does that even mean?
Neither is there a videogame equivalent of serious artistic fiction. Which is both good and bad. I would NEVER want videogames to stop being simply GAMES, which is what the SJW scum want. Even if I stop playing them.
What do you define as "serious artistic fiction"?
Why do you care about the "video games are art" crowd? I have a problem with the SJW version of that idea. When shit like Dear Esther, Gone Home etc. are considered the pinnacle of art video games. Personally I have no interest in playing any "art" video games, but I am interested to see what can be done with the medium.

Monkeysattva

Cipher
Sure... (Eh, guess I replied one too many times. I always hated forums for that reason. Good night, and good luck. Signing out.)

T. Reich

Arcane
Didn't you want to go to bed, like, 20 minutes ago or so?
Stop embarrasing yourself already and go to bed, be a good boy.

Alfons

Prophet
The thing that embarrasses me is that I expected an actual answer. Go back to your favourite activity dumbshit.
tumblr_luvhoyK0qy1qhf777o1_500.gif

naossano

Cipher
It means that all interactivity reduces the aesthetic dimensions of an object.

Interractivity doesn't mean less artistic. Also, movies/books etc are considered as art in some countries despite not being solid/material. Performances/Happenings also aren't materials/object, aren't the same every time the guy is doing it, and it often require the audience involvement to make the performance possible. So those can only exist with interactivity.

At last, you don't need incredible aesthetic to be a work of art.
See what one of my fellow countrymen did almost a century ago...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fountain_(Duchamp)

Goral

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
It's not about being older. It's because when something is innovative and fresh, we're willing to put up with its flaws. The problem is, there's nothing new coming out of the industry, no real "wow" moments, just templates of the same code, arranged in slightly different patterns, paired with generic art styles.

You kill things because it's far easier to switch them off than interact with them. You build cities and in the end you end up with... well.. larger cities. You fly planes and ride cars, but all within a hard cage of conventional, accepted, limitations.

Safe. Generic. Stupid.

Imagine a game that actually plays like nothing you've ever played before. Imagine going "wow, how did they do that?". Remember having that feeling from decades ago, the feeling of magic and wonder, when you couldn't exactly pinpoint the limitations of what you can and can't do? (...)
You've basically summed up why I love Age of Decadencehttp://store.steampowered.com/app/230070/. It is by far the most innovative cRPG since a very, very long time, not only because of unique setting and lore but also because of non-standard approach "from zero to slightly more than zero" instead of "from zero to hero" like in most cRPGs. And even though you won't slay a dragon here the things you can do are way more memorable to me than any fight in Baldur's Gate for example. You can experience it quite early by playing as an assassin - the last mission in Teron is just superb. In Maadoran and Ganezzar there are even more epic things you can do (don't want to spoil it by giving specifics).

But the real strength of Age of Decadence lies in its writing and combat. Quests are memorable and fresh (no fetch quests here, well maybe with one exception that has a hilarious twist at the end), characters seem to be made from flesh and blood (in my top 10 of most memorable characters in any game Age of Decadence would take most of the spots) and the plot is exquisite but to learn all the pieces you have to play for every guild. Which reminds me, I don't know another game that allows to see the same events from a different POV. Now that is awesome! What's more, combat is one of the best I've seen in any cRPG - even though you have less weapons than in Fallout 2 you can do so much more with them.

Neither is there a videogame equivalent of serious artistic fiction.

Because we don't allow it to exist. The disdain towards games as a form of art comes from it being a medium still in its infancy, in other words games can be hip and trendy but it still isn't "cool". I expect the videogame term to eventually become "interactive cinematic experiences", like comics evolved into "graphic novels" when it became cool for adults to read them.

P.S. this may be my gayest post to date

gaypride.gif

Goral

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy

adddeed

Arcane
Possibly Retarded
Sounds good. Ill wait for release, but from your description the game sounds tasty.

Owlish

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Douchebag! Village Idiot Repressed Homosexual Possibly Retarded Edgy Shitposter
Neither is there a videogame equivalent of serious artistic fiction.

Because we don't allow it to exist. The disdain towards games as a form of art comes from it being a medium still in its infancy, in other words games can be hip and trendy but it still isn't "cool". I expect the videogame term to eventually become "interactive cinematic experiences", like comics evolved into "graphic novels" when it became cool for adults to read them.

P.S. this may be my gayest post to date

gaypride.gif
For RPGs I am partial to just "Roleplaying Experience," as I coined in my review for Dragon Age: Inquisition
How can Dragon Age: Inquisition be considered a roleplaying GAME?
What does the industry still demand of the apostles of the disenfranchised in order to legitimize and make permanent its conquests? What further price of sweat and sacrifice does this absolute monarch of the industry claim of us all? The mind reels whenever I hear some cisscum plebeian utter the term "game" in relation to Dragon Age: Inquisition by the true interpreter of the truth: BioWare Studios.

In consideration of the fact that "video game" mechanics are virtually not present vis-à-vis other titles for the PC and console platforms I prefer to forgo the term "game" in favor of a term of my own coinage: "Roleplaying Experience." That is exactly what Dragon Age: Inquisition is, a systematic, cinematic 3D roleplaying experience where the visuals, audio and storytelling flow in harmony to stimulate thought and action, and choices are presented in maieutic fashion pullulating to the subconscious of the participants the axiomatic truths of gender politics, historic patriarchal oppressions, and the dialectic dynamics of the kyriarchist agenda contra the heroic social justice struggle. On the other hand we have ROLE NARROWING VIDEO GAME CONSTRUCTS viz. The Elder Scrolls: Skyrim by the wretched, fascistic publishing tyrant Bethesda which consciously embodies white male capitalist culture and urges epistemicide at the expense of progress in identity politics, womyn empowerment and gender-politico-deconstructionism.

Tip on a fun way to spot a bigot? Ask them if they rode The Bull. The bigot as a rule does not assume a genderqueer character role, and will doubtless be puzzled by the question, you can safely assume that they are homophobic, transphobic and probably voted for Mitt Romney. Feel free to report them to your dean for their creepy and problematic beliefs.
https://www.amazon.com/review/RIB3PXYZZGVBK/ref=cm_cr_rdp_perm

shihonage

Subscribe to my OnlyFans
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
On the other hand we have ROLE NARROWING VIDEO GAME CONSTRUCTS viz. The Elder Scrolls: Skyrim by the wretched, fascistic publishing tyrant Bethesda which consciously embodies white male capitalist culture and urges epistemicide at the expense of progress in identity politics, womyn empowerment and gender-politico-deconstructionism.

:prosper:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom