Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

[deleted]

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
very-very-boring-rubber-stamp-783-p.jpg

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
Yes. I devised a new way to train myself now in Skyrim.
I simply calmed the target, perform an assault and then tie her up.
Put her into a sack and bring her back to my home's basement.
I then tie her up on a pillory.
Now the fun begins.
Gagging her is optional unless you prefer muffled moans instead of cries for mercies to accompany the following segment.
I put healing hands (heal on touch) on my left hand and flames on my right hand.
I burn her ass and apply healing magic at the same time to improve both Restoration and Destruction at the same time.
I found using Frost is the best if you have Nord slave since she has inherent Cold Resistance and there's less chance of her dying.
I also used her for target practice with my bow and dagger.
It got too easy, men.

adrix89

Arbiter
Why are there so many of my country here?
Yes. I devised a new way to train myself now in Skyrim.
I simply calmed the target, perform an assault and then tie her up.
Put her into a sack and bring her back to my home's basement.
I then tie her up on a pillory.
Now the fun begins.
Gagging her is optional unless you prefer muffled moans instead of cries for mercies to accompany the following segment.
I put healing hands (heal on touch) on my left hand and flames on my right hand.
I burn her ass and apply healing magic at the same time to improve both Restoration and Destruction at the same time.
I found using Frost is the best if you have Nord slave since she has inherent Cold Resistance and there's less chance of her dying.
I also used her for target practice with my bow and dagger.
It got too easy, men.
You would think he is making stuff but I can confirm they are legit.

Juggie

Augur
I wanted to like Requiem. I really dug the idea of making Skyrim challenging through difficult, non-scaled encounters.

But it dissapointed me. The challenge was arbitrary both in enemy level placement and in weapon/armor type balance.

And this was just the tip of the iceberg. The skilltree rebalance was even worse than vanilla, removing transparency from descriptions because "lol oldskool" and more.

It didn't really increase the difficulty for stealth archer build either, just made some fights much longer. And the "difficult" fights made me cheese them. It was the typical increasing the difficulty in a simple system which leads to making most strategies non-viable. If you're into combat puzzles this is great, otherwise not so much.

But the mod helped me realize Skyrim combat cannot be "fixed". That shit is flawed at the fundamental level. The game lacks stats to make weapon and armor types vary more. It lacks combat options to allow for deeper combat than just quick or power attacking (and possibly blocking).

But that's ok. We all know Bethesda games have crap combat. If you play it for the combat you're doing it wrong. If you're not into hiking sims it's a waste of time.

Last edited:

NeoKino

RPGCodex Ninja
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
I wanted to like Requiem. I really dug the idea of making Skyrim challenging through difficult, non-scaled encounters.

But it dissapointed me. The challenge was arbitrary both in enemy level placement and in weapon/armor type balance.

And this was just the tip of the iceberg. The skilltree rebalance was even worse than vanilla, removing transparency from descriptions because "lol oldskool" and more.

It didn't really increase the difficulty for stealth archer build either, just made some fights much longer. And the "difficult" fights made me cheese them. It was the typical increasing the difficulty in a simple system which leads to making most strategies non-viable. If you're into combat puzzles this is great, otherwise not so much.

But the mod helped me realize Skyrim combat cannot be "fixed". That shit is flawed at the fundamental level. The game lacks stats to make weapon and armor types vary more. It lacks combat options to allow for deeper combat than just quick or power attacking (and possibly blocking).

But that's ok. We all know Bethesda games have crap combat. If you play it for the combat you're doing it wrong. If you're not into hiking sims it's a waste of time.
Thats why I suggest PerMa over requiem every day of the week.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
The problem with Elder Scrolls combat isn't just that it is too easy, it is also too shallow and simple as well. Mods can do an ok job at improving the first thing a bit, but not the second thing. There are mods that add lots of new spells, but they aren't well designed spells, and they don't make the game any better. There are some interesting ones, like a spell that infects a target and when that target dies, it spawns 3 spider pets, and you can even infect your own little spiders so when one dies, another 3 take its place. So you aggro a big group of mobs and spam the spell on them, and suddenly 3 spiders spawn, then another 3, and another, and before you know it you have 50 spiders surrounding you and protecting you. It is fun, for 5 minutes. But that's not how magic or gameplay should be in an RPG. The best RPG combat I've played was in EverQuest, and the reason why it was so good, is because you could die in just a few seconds if a mob started attacking you. So in every fight you had to control the battle right from the start. You had to use a "root" spell to lock a mob in place, and then you could send your pets on him or stack damage over time spells or whatever. And any other mobs you had to put to sleep or whatever. But it was super intense making sure you always keep those mobs locked down because if it breaks, you are basically dead. And direct damage would break it, so you could only use damage over time which took a while to kill it. And pets couldn't survive tanking one mob, so you had to use them another way, like while kiting.

But no mods can turn Skyrim into a tactical game like that. It is always going to be a shallow action game.

Self-Ejected

Barnabas

Self-Ejected
Patron
Shitposter
Okay so it seems like, after 60 hours and some research, and skyrim's combat is basically just mashing the attack button, spamming power attacks, and doing this until enemies die. That or you're a sneaky archer. I have yet to meet people that properly block and use special types of combat, everyone I talk to or research just tells me that they can get through around 90% of the combat encounters by by bullrushing the enemy, mashing attack, and if they start dying, to open the pause menu and chug potions.

What the fuck?

Is there a way to fix this? Because as I stood next to a dragon and just power attacked it with a mace over and over again I was really starting to wonder if there was more to this. I don't find magic to be that great and stealth is actually boring once you can find shit like the gloves that let you do x30 damage. Sneak attacking 90% of a dragon's hp away is fucking retarded/gay.

Is this a joke thread or is op just a silly gay

Zerginfestor

Learned
If the combat is boring (which it is), There's simply no fix for it. I don't know any mod that overhaul's the melee animation, just merely the stats and conditions upon a parry and counterattack. Best thing to do is simply go Mage, get Destruction leveling mods, and focus on Illusion for top keks.

Invictus

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Divinity: Original Sin 2
I use the Combat Enchanced mod and it is quite good; blocking takes stamina and swinging your word like an idiot gets you killed...you have to play a bit like Dark Souls meaning you put up your shield or block with your sword and expect what the enemies will do next. If they swing and hit your shield you have a small opening to counter and if your timing is right on your block it will cause your enemy to stagger which will let your riposte for massive damage. It has location damage so even when playing non melee focused characters it is very fun. It makes combat so much more tactical since combat is fast and furious and it is usually decided in 2 or 3 blows.
Rising the difficulty also makes things more deadly since your character can only take a couple of hits before dying. Fighting more than one opponent at a time is very challenging and in the case of higher level enemies like vampires and dreugh lords your really need to plan your strategy, using poisons, summons, and even taking advantage of traps and ledges. For fighting groups I might look for chokepoints to headshot with poisons and then move into melee with better odds.
Yeah it could be better but the mod makes the combat still fun but a whole lot more tactical, plus it is super satisfying to parry a killing blow and counter as the game goes into the the kill cam

Akasen

Augur
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Even with that mod though, I highly doubt it's gonna improve fighting a god damn dragon.

I'm finding another issue myself in Skyrim, which seems to be with regards to how the leveling system, radiant leveling, and all that shit come together to either give you "fair" fights and then battles where you're only option is to hit the load button until you figure out how to cheese this fight (cause I keep forgetting to actually have potions on me like a moron)

What I think I'm picking up on is that I've gone far too out of my way to not level up smithing, which has lead to me crippling myself on giving myself the edge in improved armor. But even then, I'm dealing with a similar issue where I'm not focusing properly on leveling my weapon skill or my armor skill, thus I'm not dealing enough damage and I'm also not able to properly defend myself.

But it's frustrating honestly, cause I'll be running around like a fucking pansy til this undead viking asshole goes for a swing and misses, then I wail on him, possibly followed by a full on Relentless Force shout to send him flying, and continue the beatings. If I have potions, I make sure to chug a couple of whatever and start swinging. Maybe conjure up a Flame Atronach as well and hope it takes the aggro off me.

I've concluded that nearly no amount of modding, save for divine intervention, will ever save this games overall combat. The only answer is to find out how to stay ahead of the curve just a litte so that you can at the very least three-shot an enemy, or survive most attacks with nary a scratch.

Invictus

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
I dont understand why are you gimping your character yourself, the game systems are there to help you and even balancing combat mods take into account that; for example I had the fortune of running into a watcher of steendar fighting a fire elemental and when she died I looted her silver sword and then put a simple fire enchantment on it and it has been kicking so much undead ass since the silver and fire bonuses stack so I mostly 2 shot almost any common undead with it...
I could have stayed with my unsharpened steel sword and played at beign tough but this balances out things a whole lot in combat since they can also kill me in a couple of hits too
As for dragons I use a mod (dont remember right now the name) which makes them very challenging since they can instakill you in a bite and seriously damage you with their breath so you have to have a companion, use summons and of course use potions and spells to keep alive...again that would be videogame common sense and trying to play all macho and not using the tools that the game gives you
I also recall a mod that makes potions be gradual (like med kits in Misery) so even if you wanted to "cheat" and use a dozen in the pause screen you cannot instaheal yourself.
These are the things that make the gameplay a bit more challenging; the game is not going to be Stalker or Dark Souls but it can fun and a bit more challenging

Self-Ejected

Barnabas

Self-Ejected
Patron
Shitposter
I can't stand the melee so I'm always an archer first. I pretty much Play as you would in a thief game. Elder Scrolls needs combat like koa or dragons dogma or like Batman. The elder scrolls is very underwhelming once the thrill or "wow what a huge world" wears off. It wore off for me a long time ago.

The backer npcs in pillars of eternity have more depth than all the Skyrim npcs combined.

Sneaky Seal

Aurum Dust
Developer
It's not even button mashing, it's clicking everyone to death.
An Elder Scrolls game with the combat from Dark Messiah of Might and Magic (which did POV melee just right) was always a dream of mine.

Deleted Member 16721

I've been waiting for a RTwP system for TES-style games. The Quest comes close, in some ways it is a turn-based Morrowind, but imagine Morrowind with a RTwP system. It had such an extensive magic list (spellmaking, too). But in Morrowind the combat is too fast and is mostly based upon quickly killing the enemy, usually not in the most strategic or tactical way or using all of your aresnal.

If they slowed the system down, made it RTwP with "rounds" like BG, balanced the combat and game mechanics around that, it would be a really cool experience IMO.

Invictus

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Well apple pie is always gonna have apples so if you dont like the game itself modding it is not going to change much. As I have said in other Skyrim threads this is a beer and pizza kind pf game where you can enjoy the game for what it is or go play Age of Decandence or Bloodlines if that is what you want to do
I also enjoy playing the silent archer type but killing a dreught with an arrow to the head...I can justify it if it is a fire arrow, an icicle in the head or a swordstrike which chops their head off but in the end it IS a fantasy game about whacking dragons
As somebody metioned the melee in Dark Messiah might be the best ever (I pwrsonally consider Riddick or Condemned to be better) but yeah with a few combat mods and tricks Skyrim can have fun competent combat

Self-Ejected

Barnabas

Self-Ejected
Patron
Shitposter
I've been waiting for a RTwP system for TES-style games. The Quest comes close, in some ways it is a turn-based Morrowind, but imagine Morrowind with a RTwP system. It had such an extensive magic list (spellmaking, too). But in Morrowind the combat is too fast and is mostly based upon quickly killing the enemy, usually not in the most strategic or tactical way or using all of your aresnal.

If they slowed the system down, made it RTwP with "rounds" like BG, balanced the combat and game mechanics around that, it would be a really cool experience IMO.

I like that idea and maybe having the option to play in the Overhead view. I just don't think they make such a drastic change.

Deleted Member 16721

I like that idea and maybe having the option to play in the Overhead view. I just don't think they make such a drastic change.

I don't think overhead view would really be necessary, though. First-person RTwP with one character would be feasible since you don't have to control other characters. Companions could be added but act on their own. I think the charm and uniqueness of a system like that would be that it would be in first-person perspective.

I don't think they'd ever do that, either, but another developer possibly could. Like I said, The Quest is a turn-based first-person RPG, similar to Morrowind in a lot of ways. Open-world, lots of skills and spells similar to Morrowind, similar mechanics, etc.

I also think people who complained about Morrowind's combat would find that a RTwP would be better for them. The combat in the main game is already an abstraction and based on pen-and-paper style rules, so making it RTwP would be pretty similar to something like Baldur's Gate. Would love to see it happen sometime.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
It's not even button mashing, it's clicking everyone to death.
An Elder Scrolls game with the combat from Dark Messiah of Might and Magic (which did POV melee just right) was always a dream of mine.
I would love that! Dark Messiah was awesome. Although I would love any Elder Scrolls games with any better combat system. Put in some action combat or some slow tactical combat and I would love it either way. I just think Elder Scrolls completely fails at being either tactical and deep or actiony and fun.

You might like to try Elder Scrolls Online. That is like Elder Scrolls but with much better combat. It still isn't perfect though, and it only lasts a month or two depending on whether you like or hate the boring grindy high level content. But it is worth playing if only because it is interesting to see Elder Scrolls done with much more thought and effort put into things like the combat.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot

I would like that, but imo there is no need for pausing or turns, because if you pace the game properly, it can be tactical yet real time. Everquest showed the world how combat should be done. It is basically AD&D combat with some tweaks, but the game is just paced perfectly. It takes time to kill a mob and it takes the mobs time to kill you. The game is fast enough to be exciting and if you don't make quick decisions, you will die. But it is also slow enough that you get to think about everything you do, and there are important decisions to make all the time, but you have a few seconds to make each decision. It is basically like playing Baldurs Gate or something, but in first person, and you can't pause, but your group is smarter and your magic is better.

The magic isn't OP either, but there are staples that every spell caster relies on like Root which stops a mob from moving. It can break randomly, and it has a high chance to break if you use direct damage spells, but damage over time is ok and you can also use it to keep multiple enemies away from you. Snare is similar, also Fear, etc.

Elder Scrolls would be so amazing with combat like that. But my theory is that they wont spend the money to develop a good combat system because they just don't need to, after all, >23 million people bought Skyrim.

Akasen

Augur
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
when she died I looted her silver sword
FFS, I didn't know those fuckers had Silver Swords. I'm just a goodie goodie two shoes who makes sure those fuckers don't die.

Although, I have Dawnbreaker, which so far has been a decent weapon, but I might be a moron. Who knows.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Silver Hand or whatever those werewolf hunters are, those guys are a good source of silver weapons.

Invictus

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Silver Hand or whatever those werewolf hunters are, those guys are a good source of silver weapons.
Yup and since it is one of the first Companions quests you can get those very early too!
Silver swords are such a great overall weapon especially against undead since it gets a +20 damage bonus, if you upgrade it at the blacksmiths it can be an pretty effective start to end level weapon plus even a simple +10 fire or lightning enchantment adds a very nice bonus, plus setting enemies on fire allows you to have an easier time versus the heavy hitters like Elder Vampires or Dreught Lords

Deleted Member 16721

I would like that, but imo there is no need for pausing or turns, because if you pace the game properly, it can be tactical yet real time. Everquest showed the world how combat should be done. It is basically AD&D combat with some tweaks, but the game is just paced perfectly. It takes time to kill a mob and it takes the mobs time to kill you. The game is fast enough to be exciting and if you don't make quick decisions, you will die. But it is also slow enough that you get to think about everything you do, and there are important decisions to make all the time, but you have a few seconds to make each decision. It is basically like playing Baldurs Gate or something, but in first person, and you can't pause, but your group is smarter and your magic is better.

The magic isn't OP either, but there are staples that every spell caster relies on like Root which stops a mob from moving. It can break randomly, and it has a high chance to break if you use direct damage spells, but damage over time is ok and you can also use it to keep multiple enemies away from you. Snare is similar, also Fear, etc.

Elder Scrolls would be so amazing with combat like that. But my theory is that they wont spend the money to develop a good combat system because they just don't need to, after all, >23 million people bought Skyrim.

So, sort of like a Xenoblade: Chronicles combat system? MMO-ish. Not a terrible idea, but I personally would rather the game in question just have a real RTwP system similar to Baldur's Gate. I think it would "feel" better when you could pause the game as necessary, issue orders and get all the perks of a typical RTwP system.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom