Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

I got dumped, what game should I start playing?

Hobo Elf

Arcane
The bible is for infidels. Read the Qu Ran and attain proper enlightenment.
quran20light.jpg

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
You know, if you EVER have a problem sleeping at night, pick up a copy of the Qur'an and give it a read. I GUARANTEE that by a few pages you will be bored to pure sleep.

True story.

L'ennui

Magister
Try Day of the tentacle if you hadn't played it back in the days. Excellent, quirky humor on top of a solid adventure game that will take your mind off everything else, if only for a while.

Also, I join the "hang out with friends" crowd.

Nedrah

Erudite
L'ennui said:
Try Day of the tentacle

Definitely. Pay attention to the cherry trees part. You may thank me later. Also, while I wouldn't want to make a thread on the codex about it, I know your current pain. People are right when they suggest doing something else than sitting in front of your screen - I also understand perfectly well why doing too much else to cope with the situation might not seem like a real possibility right now. Yeah, anyways, go with DOTT if you don't know it.

tunguska

Liturgist
As an ugly person who has always been ugly I have absolutely no sympathy for your plight. If you are good looking enough to get a pretty girlfriend, then you should be able to replace her easily enough, no? Doing so would be my advice. Just switch to another generic barbie as soon as possible. Feel free to take a nice video game break before you do so however. Dealing with ditzy girls can be tiring. Which is why I choose to rent or lease them instead of buying them outright.

As for what games to play, I would suggest good ones. Playing bad games when trying to escape from reality can be kind of depressing. Some excellent games that aren't recommended much on the codex are in my sig. In case you have sigs turned off, I will suggest Arx Fatalis, Ultima Underworld I and II, and Might and Magic VI, VII, and VIII. All great fun.

Is there a first person shooter where you get to kill a lot of young, pretty human females?

krbkkr

Novice
Patron
Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Anachronox? Funny and uplifting.
The Football Manager games are the ultimate timesink if you are a fan.

Book: Vanity Fair. It solves life.

Monocause

Arcane
That may sound strange, but I recommend something like 4 elements. I've been through some tough times lately myself and games like this can be really a blessing.

Hollowized

Novice
Ultima Underworld 1/2
Arx Fatalix
Sacrifice
Mafia
Space Rangers 1/2
Star Wolves
System Shock 2
Deus Ex
Thief 1/2/3
Outcast
Kings Bounty
Giants: Citizen Kabuto
Alien vs Predator
Penumbra

Anything on that list that you haven't played?

Lesifoere

Liturgist
Oh hi, haven't seen you for a while. I second Sacrifice. I believe you can still get it from GOG?

Also, the obvious choice for adventure titles: The Longest Journey/Dreamfall--sure the sequel's inferior, but it's still pretty good even if it concludes with a cocktease cliffhanger from hell.

Tails

Arbiter
Definitely first X-COM. You won't even notice the moment when you forget about rest of the world.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom