Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

I got dumped, what game should I start playing?

Zuluf

Scholar
Hai guise long tiem no see.

I got dumped last week, and I've started jogging and playing ping-pong in my spare time just so I can keep away from the computer and hence the pictures and videos with her, which I can't delete because I get this weird block every time I try to press shift+del.

Anyway, I obviously can't play ping-pong or jog non-stop, and when night comes I sit alone at my computer just like you fatteh basement dwellers and ponder where to bitch and what to do.

Thing is, I realised I ran out of games I enjoy. Yes, I finished Fallout (39 times) and Fallout 2 (11 times) - inb4 i'm a total geekfag, surprise - and yes I played all the mandatory RPGs: Arcanum, PST, NWN: MotB, NWN2, VtM:BL, BG+BG2 (and expansions), and even loads of other RPGs which are not Codex-approved like Jade Empire, Mass Effect, Kotors (well the kotors are semi-codex approved so meh).

I do play other genres too: mainly anything that doesn't have you driving a car while listening to shit rave music or doesn't simulate a sport or a machine. Please don't post mainstream games, I probably finished most interesting mainstream games from the past 8 years or so.

I'd like to know some (possibly underdog) brilliant games I might have missed. You have no idea how much these things help me disconnect from /emomode and other such faggotry.

Books and movies are also welcome, though I don't think I'm in the right state of mind to appreciate art at this point. Looked at my Van Gogh album the other day and almost bursted into tears. God that sounds lame.

Aaaaaaanyway, this is a srs post, not trolling etc. I'm sure you guys will, but maybe I can get a couple of nifty ideas in the process.

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
Zuluf said:
I got dumped last week, and I've started jogging and playing ping-pong in my spare time just so I can keep away from the computer and hence the pictures and videos with her, which I can't delete because I get this weird block every time I try to press shift+del.

Just share the kinky ones with the Codex and soon you'll see how your life will improve.

Jedi_Learner

Liturgist
Why were you dumped for? If it wasn't your fault, have you thought about getting revenge?

Get something insanely absorbing like Dwarf Fortress or Total War where you'll play for hours on end and then wonder why it's 6am and where the day/night/week went.

Morrowind's pretty great for just firing up and losing yourself for a while wandering around looking at the pretty world and reading books, too, if you can stand the game. Same goes for Daggerfall, though I could never get quite as absorbed in it.

Malachi

Liturgist
I strongly recommend The Witcher, if you haven't played it already. Combat is a bit too clicky, but it's a fun game with a good story.

And if you play the uncensored version, you get plenty of boobalicious sex cards for self-gratification, which is something you may need to do more of since you haven't the girlfriend any longer.

Hope this helps! :twisted:

Zuluf

Scholar
Malachi said:
I strongly recommend The Witcher

Finished. Twice.

Admiral jimbob said:
Get something insanely absorbing like Dwarf Fortress or Total War where you'll play for hours on end and then wonder why it's 6am and where the day/night/week went.

Dwarf Fortress - haven't tried that, looking it up. Played Shogun Total War to utter exhaustion, I think the rest of the games in the series are putrid shit though.

Admiral jimbob said:
Morrowind's pretty great for just firing up and losing yourself for a while wandering around looking at the pretty world and reading books, too, if you can stand the game. Same goes for Daggerfall, though I could never get quite as absorbed in it.

Yeah I think going over the only two games that are worth a nickel in Bethesda's portfolio would get me even more depressed.

Jedi_Learner said:
Why were you dumped for? If it wasn't your fault, have you thought about getting revenge?

When you get dumped *for real*, like I just did, it's everyone's fault. It's like the opposite of a victimless crime. Everyone gets a victim complex, and everyone else is the bad guy.

So no, revenge won't cut it. 'sides, I know for sure she's tormented just by me NOT calling her, so I'm covered on that flank. I just hope I'm right and she's not getting double-teamed by black midgets.

shihonage said:
Dead Space ?

Finished. Good option though.
---

So then it's Dwarf Fortress. Anything else, in case jimbob's just fucking with my nerves?

Self-Ejected

Kosmonaut

Lost in Space
Admiral jimbob said:
Get something insanely absorbing like Dwarf Fortress...

Dwarf Fortress is a good option. Even learning the controls will steal several hours from the gloom mood...

Dire Roach

Prophet
You should play FF7 and rename Aeris to your girlfriend's name.

No, scratch that, you should definitely play Braid. I guarantee it will make you forget about the whole thing. Yeah. Trust me.

But seriously, how about Mount & Blade?

Zuluf

Scholar
Redeye said:
Bloodrayne

Finished soon after launch, and Bloodrayne is a shitty game tbh.

Longshanks said:
Max Payne :D.

Finish'd. Yes, finished MP2 as well. Again, good option, but the whole lovedrama with Mona in MP2 doesn't bode well with a guy who's got a sensitive penchant for finding symbolism in hard-boiled stories.

Dire Roach said:
You should play FF7 and rename Aeris to your girlfriend's name.

No thank you.

Dire Roach said:
No, scratch that, you should definitely play Braid. I guarantee it will make you forget about the whole thing. Yeah. Trust me.

Finished Braid two days ago. Was pretty fucking brilliant, but I'm waiting for the map editor now.

Dire Roach said:
But seriously, how about Mount & Blade?

Played it for a while, until I realised everything I was doing was rolling around in a pointless sandbox. Was fun while it lasted though.

Turok

Erudite
Get a copy of the RPG called LIFE, play with it, leave the computer is the best thing you can do.

Malachi

Liturgist
How about a couple of the old Microprose games - Master of Orion and/or Master of Magic? Neither one is strictly speaking an RPG, but I lost many days, possibly *weeks* to those two games back in the mid-90s.

You'll need DosBox and http://www.abandonia.com to play them now, but they are terrific.

Triskaedek

Novice
Good evening.

As far as great RPGs (not already mentioned here at least) go, Wizardry 8 should be your next stop. Hours upon hours of goodness. If you haven't already, play it now.

If you're willing to get online, you can't possibly go wrong with Eve Online -it's a deep, remarkably complex and utterly compelling, very involving experience. Rest assured, it will positively eat up your waking time, hopefully somewhat diminishing the amount spent thinking about her...

Or, a much more brutal solution to your ordeal can be found within the pages of an infamous book; try to get your hand on a copy of the groundbreaking Belle du Seigneur by Albert Cohen, for instance. It's an absolutely outstanding masterpiece which you'll savour each and every page of, and, as a welcome side-effect, it will irrevocably disgust you with the very concept of Love. Works too.

Either way, I hope it gets better. Good luck to you.

Luzur

Good Sir
When you get dumped *for real*, like I just did, it's everyone's fault. It's like the opposite of a victimless crime. Everyone gets a victim complex, and everyone else is the bad guy.

So no, revenge won't cut it. 'sides, I know for sure she's tormented just by me NOT calling her, so I'm covered on that flank. I just hope I'm right and she's not getting double-teamed by black midgets.

what? i didnt feel like anything like that when i was dumped last september, it was more rage against her then at everyone else. (since i found later she had been "dating" both me and seeing her ex at the same time like the whole summer..) and deleting the pics was easy enough since most of them was on my phone.

but anyway, how about a nice playtrough the entire Might & Magic/Ultima series?

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Triskaedek said:
Good evening.

As far as great RPGs (not already mentioned here at least) go, Wizardry 8 should be your next stop. Hours upon hours of goodness. If you haven't already, play it now.

Wow, I like this new guy!

Triskaedek said:
If you're willing to get online, you can't possibly go wrong with Eve Online -it's a deep, remarkably complex and utterly compelling, very involving experience. Rest assured, it will positively eat up your waking time, hopefully somewhat diminishing the amount spent thinking about her...

From hero to zero in two seconds... :(

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom